• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for info on Sheraton Broadway Plantation

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Mandatory - Means that the rules of the VSN program are written in to the underlying resort CC&R documents. If you buy a week at a mandatory resort, you are required to join VSN and pay the VSN fee. You can't opt out of it. Because of this, resale weeks also get the benefit of having StarOptions and can use those options to book at other resorts in VSN.

Voluntary - Means that the VSN program rules are not written in to the underlying resort documents. Membership in VSN is voluntary. The problem with this is that Vistana is not allowing resale owners at voluntary resorts to join VSN and thus can't use StarOptions to book at other resorts in the network. Developer buyers at voluntary resorts are automatically granted membership in VSN but they can voluntarily opt out of it if they want to. If they sell their week, the resale buyer loses access to the VSN.
Thx this is the same way Shell VC (purchased by Wyndham) worked. I bought deeded Shell properties in Canada but opted out of the club as Diamond Resorts gave me more weeks for them in their club. Diamond will also accept my SVV weeks, but SVV MF are higher than Diamond so the math doesn't work to my advantage.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I believe "voluntary" and "mandatory" mean from the viewpoint of Vistana. meaning, per the legal documents, Vistana is "mandatorily" required to include the 5 resorts in the VSN network, whereas Vistana can "voluntarily" allow other resorts in the VSN network. They only allow the "voluntary" resorts in the VSN network (with Staroptions) for initial sale, because it get them a high sale price. VSN could "voluntarily" allow resales into the VSN network, but why would they, since they make no money from it.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Voluntary - Means that the VSN program rules are not written in to the underlying resort documents. Membership in VSN is voluntary. The problem with this is that Vistana is not allowing resale owners at voluntary resorts to join VSN and thus can't use StarOptions to book at other resorts in the network. Developer buyers at voluntary resorts are automatically granted membership in VSN but they can voluntarily opt out of it if they want to. If they sell their week, the resale buyer loses access to the VSN.

Small technical correction: you can join VSN as long as you are willing to part with $10k+ of your hard-earned money :p

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe "voluntary" and "mandatory" mean from the viewpoint of Vistana. meaning, per the legal documents, Vistana is "mandatorily" required to include the 5 resorts in the VSN network, whereas Vistana can "voluntarily" allow other resorts in the VSN network. They only allow the "voluntary" resorts in the VSN network (with Staroptions) for initial sale, because it get them a high sale price.
I doubt it. I believe @dioxide45

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
One interesting aspect of SBP (at least the older, "Plantation" phase, which includes all weeks with the 9-43 + 47 high season):

You can reserve your deeded week 24 months in advance. So the deeded week is important here; if you have a deeded summer week (i.e. weeks ~24 - ~32), you have a summer week you can tie up 12-24 months in advance of your check-in date -- before reservations open to the unwashed masses. You have to call in to reserve the week but it is guaranteed if you do. Or if you prefer, you may reserve any week in your season at the twelve month mark.

Note: many of the reservationists don't know this detail, so you may have to talk with a supervisor.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One interesting aspect of SBP (at least the older, "Plantation" phase, which includes all weeks with the 9-43 + 47 high season):

You can reserve your deeded week 24 months in advance. So the deeded week is important here; if you have a deeded summer week (i.e. weeks ~24 - ~32), you have a summer week you can tie up 12-24 months in advance of your check-in date -- before reservations open to the unwashed masses. You have to call in to reserve the week but it is guaranteed if you do. Or if you prefer, you may reserve any week in your season at the twelve month mark.

Note: many of the reservationists don't know this detail, so you may have to talk with a supervisor.

I've learned something new! Thanks for this.

Dewos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We own several weeks at Sheraton in Scottsdale since we are West Coast. Sheraton is a great entry into the MVC family. We have 2bdrm LO because we are a family of 7. We can use the studio to trade into other locations. This is how we are going to Sedona for the Spring Break.
We also have a mandatory, Westin Kierland, that has 81k SO to trade w/in the Vistana family. It won’t get us to Hawaii during prime season but we are fine w/ that since we own a TS on Big Island.
If you are local, I wouldn’t hesitate as an entry into TS. As you become more comfortable, you can decide if you want to add or upgrade to a WEstin or Marriott in the same area
Just wondering what the benefits of the Marriott or Westin over the Sheraton? I see that they tend to cost money rather than free, are they better quality better locations?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Just wondering what the benefits of the Marriott or Westin over the Sheraton? I see that they tend to cost money rather than free, are they better quality better locations?

Although Westins and Marriotts are generally a notch above Sheratons in quality, there are other factors in play as well.

You mention location; that's one. The mandatory/voluntary distinction drives some prices in the Vistana world (Westins and Sheratons); Westin Kierland (a mandatory property) has significant value on the secondary market whereas Westin Desert Willow (a voluntary property) has little. Season matters; ski locations are valuable during ski season and have negative value during mud season. View category matters (for resorts where that exists, typically beach locations).

Last edited:

Dewos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So about the mandatory location, Sheraton Vistana Villages I see its the Bella and key west, so not Orlando? When I try to search for the resort I only pull up Orlando. It seems to make senators have a property that can transfer anywhere, although I do think we will mostly go to the Myrtle beach vacation the most.
I am more interested in the lock out rooms just because of the more Sq feet, but not a huge deal. It really comes down to the MF. Is a mandatory location better to have the flexibility? Appreciate everyone’s help in all this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My wife and I are brand new into timeshares, have looked into it over the years. We are ready to pull the trigger.
From other posts on here Myrtle beach area Sheraton Broadway Plantation was recommended a few times. We are leaning this way wondering what we should look at paying, what you would recommend with this property, etc.
any dos and don’t I should watch out for? Appreciate everyone’s time.
Buy a mandatory vistana resort then use the star options to book SBP. I wouldn’t buy there. Especially in resale

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
So about the mandatory location, Sheraton Vistana Villages I see its the Bella and key west, so not Orlando? When I try to search for the resort I only pull up Orlando. It seems to make senators have a property that can transfer anywhere, although I do think we will mostly go to the Myrtle beach vacation the most.
I am more interested in the lock out rooms just because of the more Sq feet, but not a huge deal. It really comes down to the MF. Is a mandatory location better to have the flexibility? Appreciate everyone’s help in all this.
Please please please only buy mandatory. I BEG you. Lol. Lockouts have some advantages. You can exchange one side in interval and use left over star options for a vistana booking.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Bella and Key West are villages (or sections) of Sheraton Vistana Villages in Orlando.

If you are interested in Myrtle Beach, have you also considered Marriott's OceanWatch? I know it is much more expensive than the freebie weeks at SBP, but the location is on the beach and Platinum weeks also rent for a big premium on MFs. I have never tried to book SBP with StarOptions, but I would think that only the ultra prime weeks would be hard to book at 8 months out.

Dewos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So much information... the Flex seems very interesting . Definitely something I’m going to do more research on. So with the SBP TS I would not be able to trade inside of star options/ book other Sheraton resorts directly I would have to use II / RCI? My question how challenging is it to trade resorts in II / RCI?
So many options for a vacation lol.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
So much information... the Flex seems very interesting . Definitely something I’m going to do more research on. So with the SBP TS I would not be able to trade inside of star options/ book other Sheraton resorts directly I would have to use II / RCI? My question how challenging is it to trade resorts in II / RCI?
So many options for a vacation lol.

It depends. It depends on how picky you are about where you want to go, what season you want to go, what quality you will accept, how much effort you are willing to put into the process, and your risk tolerance.

You should be aware that there is a Vistana-to-Vistana preference in Interval; an SBP unit will "see" more potential Vistana exchange targets than will people who deposited non-Vistana units. I used to own two SBP units which I routinely exchanged into Vistana units in Hawaii (non-prime season).

That said, I concur with the advice you have received about purchasing a mandatory property (SVV Bella or Key West, most likely), using the Staroptions to reserve SBP eight months in advance, and still having the flexibility to reserve any Vistana property at eight months.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The good thing is that you can take your time and there is no need to rush. Most of the prime reservations for next summer are likely already booked (I just checked to see what was available with SO for late June to mid Aug and nothing is showing as available.)

And yes - if you buy the resale SBP you would not get StarOptions and could not trade the resorts directly so you would have to use II and pay the membership fee plus trading fee (II is usually recommended for Vistana as the resorts are higher quality generally and you will get trading preference for other resorts - although RCI does have Disney and HGVC).

From what I've heard owners at SBP seem to be very happy with the quality and ease of the trades they get; however, you will most likely have to plan more than a year out to get the best trades.

Dewos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The good thing is that you can take your time and there is no need to rush. Most of the prime reservations for next summer are likely already booked (I just checked to see what was available with SO for late June to mid Aug and nothing is showing as available.)

And yes - if you buy the resale SBP you would not get StarOptions and could not trade the resorts directly so you would have to use II and pay the membership fee plus trading fee (II is usually recommended for Vistana as the resorts are higher quality generally and you will get trading preference for other resorts - although RCI does have Disney and HGVC).

From what I've heard owners at SBP seem to be very happy with the quality and ease of the trades they get; however, you will most likely have to plan more than a year out to get the best trades.
Appreciate you looking at SO for me, I was looking to get something done sooner rather than later to hopefully make it this summer. With knowing that that’s not an option I can really sit back and decide.

Dewos

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With the mandatory locations would the Sheraton Vistana Villages be the lowest MF’s? Or should I stick to them because they would be closest to my home base? Also are most locations open 8 months in advance to book? If I did want to book the SBP do you think there would be any challenges getting the week I wanted?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With the mandatory locations would the Sheraton Vistana Villages be the lowest MF’s? Or should I stick to them because they would be closest to my home base? Also are most locations open 8 months in advance to book? If I did want to book the SBP do you think there would be any challenges getting the week I wanted?

SVV is usually recommended because the MF/StarOption ratio is relatively good in relation to the buy-in cost. A couple of years ago you could easily get a SVV unit to buy for <$1000. Now it is getting tougher. The other one that is usually recommended is a platinum unit at WKV (Scottsdale, AZ) but these usually go for $13-15k for a 2BR lockoff. In your case you are close to Florida so it gives you a good alternative and your MF would be around $1000 for the week - that's pretty good all things considered.

The MF at SVV for a 2BR with 81000 SO would would be $1260 for the week. You would also have to pay the $155 VSN annual fee since this would be your first unit in Vistana - this gives you access to II as well as trading within the Vistana SO system. Price per SO here is $0.017.

If you bought at WKV the MF would be $1645, but the 2BR platinum would give you 148,100 (you could also buy a 1BR which gives 81,000 SO for a lower MF and buy in but these are hard to find). Add your $155 VSN fee and your price per SO is $0.012.

Putting this together the WKV options would be about $740 cheaper per year on 148,100 SO [(0.017-0.012)*148,100]. If the buy in cost for WKV is $14k more than a SVV week then your break even point is about 19 years.

Just to throw in what the Flex options would be - If you were to go with an 81,000 Sheraton Flex package the MF/SO is 0.0147 so say $1187 for the week. Since Sheraton Flex is voluntary you won't be in VSN so no $155 fee. You get some of the flexibility of being able to book into the 8 resorts ahead of when the SO period opens since you have 8 home resorts (and from what I understand there is plenty of availability for SBP in the Flex trust). Downside is that you won't get to book into Hawaii, Atlantis, Mexico or the USVI unless it was a trade via Interval (probably unlikely for peak seasons). I know there are a lot here on TUG who will hate me for suggesting this since Flex is overpriced when sold by the developer, but if you can pick up a Flex package for next to nothing I think it would suit your needs for the near future (warning timeshares are addictive so you will want more). If in the future you did want to bring the resale flex package into VSN you could do so with a minimum purchase of $10,000 more Flex HomeOptions from Vistana.

Some questions to ask yourself:

- How likely is it going to be that you will want to go to Hawaii, USVI, Atlantis or Mexico? If so then a mandatory unit is probably best (keep in mind that you'd probably have to give up 2 years worth of StarOptions to book at these other places).
- If Myrtle beach is likely to be your home base more than 50% of the time it's probably easiest and cheapest to get a resale week there and book it as your home resort. You can then trade in II when need be.
- If you'd like a hybrid approach which gives you access to SBP early on plus some of the other Sheraton's you are likely to want to visit then a Flex package might just be the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My 2020 MF + club dues at SVV St. Augustine 2BR LO 81,000 are over $1600

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Downside is that you won't get to book into Hawaii, Atlantis, Mexico or the USVI unless it was a trade via Interval (probably unlikely for peak seasons).

I’ve never seen Harborside resort or Westin St John in interval. For ANY season. Have you? I’ve tried searching with my HRA unit. If an HRA unit can’t see HRA availability then the sales rep lied. And we know they NEVER do that lol

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
If you want to go to SBP every year, I would buy there. I believe in buying where you want to go and trading to other resorts is a nice bonus. Since we are West Coast, we own both Westin and Sheraton in Scottsdale. Love the area and we visit family there annually. Since I couldn’t find an annual at a good price, so we own an even and an odd at SDO. I can either use home resort, trade or rent out. When I trade, I calculate MF+ II cost which includes upgrade. As long as I am under a certain percentage it’s a great deal in my eyes. It’s how I was able to trade into Hyatt Sedona 2bdrm for the cost of Sedona MF during Spring Break. Btw, we own Hyatt Sedona, however our Season doesn’t include Spring Break and points would not get us a full 7 days. All this to say, buy where you know you will use. You can add to your portfolio at a later date. Mandatory is great but I believe in maximizing SOs so trading back into SBP may not be the best use of your SOs.