• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for info on Hyatt Carmel Highlands

starzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas
Grand Chateau
Aruba Ocean Club
Grand Vista
Hi my wife and I are looking to reserve at Hyatt Carmel Highlands Jan/Feb 2022. We have never stayed there looking for some insights on the property, we are looking at staying in suites not the hotel

Thanks!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi my wife and I are looking to reserve at Hyatt Carmel Highlands Jan/Feb 2022. We have never stayed there looking for some insights on the property, we are looking at staying in suites not the hotel

Thanks!
I'm thinking all rooms are the same -- nothing distinguishes one type from the other, besides the way it is booked.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Most TS rooms are 1 BR units on a single floor. But there are some 1 BR units with two floors. Plus there are a very small number of 2 BR units.

@starzim , we've stayed there 3 times and enjoyed our stay there. All of the units had at least a slight view of the ocean. They were categorized as "horizon view units". Once you get your reservation, you'll see your unit number and you'll be able to figure out where you will be on property.

One of the unique aspects of Highland Inn is they have wood burning fireplaces and daily the maid (at least pre-Covid) will load the fireplace so that it will start with a single match.

If you are in to hiking, there is a State Park, Los Lobos, about 1/2 mile to the north. It is a great park with fantastic ocean views.

starzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas
Grand Chateau
Aruba Ocean Club
Grand Vista
Thanks for the info helpful.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
What I meant -- all rooms are available to hotel and timeshare guests. Not separate categories.
I still don’t understand what you mean. The hotel rooms are very separate from the vacationclub booking wise. If you book a hotel room you won’t end up in the vacation club, and vice versa. But maybe I am misunderstanding your point…

Last edited:

cafeirene

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the hotel rooms are available to you unless you were booking Gold Passport points or paying cash to the hotel. and they are different in furnishings and layout and really separate entities.Carmel is unique in how they seem to be all part of the same facility but they are subtely separate. And FYI, Hyatt hotels has also added Ventana and Carmel Ranch, nearby (very pricey).

The timeshare units (whether 1 or two bedroom) all have a kitchen although it is minimal in size and function (compared to High Sierra or Kaanapali or Pinon Point). There is a real stove, full fridge, dishwasher, etc. If you cook, and have a favourite tool, pack it... I always keep a timeshare 'kitchen box' for destinations we can drive to, with a small teapot, electric kettle, favourite grater, spices, extra cutting board and a knife sharpener. Their knives are always a bit sad, but that is probably true of most timeshares

Covid restrictions have limited housekeeping here (as well as High Sierra), but that may be beginning to change. Carmel has always been somewhat unique in that because the fireplaces needed daily attention there was always some service.

If you get a two story 1 bedroom unit, the balcony is usually on the lower level, but a bonus is the 2 story units have a second bath which is nice if anyone is using the pullout sleeper if there are more than two people.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still don’t understand what you mean. The hotel rooms are very separate from the vacationclub booking wise. If you book a hotel room you won’t end up in the vacation club. But maybe I am misunderstanding…
As I look at the resort layout (2 people attached it, above), I see white colored units in the lower right and those are the Hotel units AFAIK. The other ones (various colors) are TS or whole/fractional owned units.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still don’t understand what you mean. The hotel rooms are very separate from the vacationclub booking wise. If you book a hotel room you won’t end up in the vacation club, and vice versa. But maybe I am misunderstanding your point…
I stand corrected.
I've stayed there twice. First time, seems a million years ago, before it was a Hyatt. Second time, was only a few months ago. I was fortunate to be assigned a lower unit, full ocean view. Are the hotel rooms located in the main building, where you check-in?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stand corrected.
I've stayed there twice. First time, seems a million years ago, before it was a Hyatt. Second time, was only a few months ago. I was fortunate to be assigned a lower unit, full ocean view. Are the hotel rooms located in the main building, where you check-in?
Hello b2bailey, take a look at the resort layout pdf's (see above). The hotel rooms are shown in white and are to the lower right side of the map. You have to turn right and pass the main building to get to them.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello b2bailey, take a look at the resort layout pdf's (see above). The hotel rooms are shown in white and are to the lower right side of the map. You have to turn right and pass the main building to get to them.
I'm still thinking Hyatt may rent timeshare units, such as where I stayed, to general public. (As Marriott does.)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm still thinking Hyatt may rent timeshare units, such as where I stayed, to general public. (As Marriott does.)
You very well could be correct.

tseebach

Reaction score
@starzim
If you are in to hiking, there is a State Park, Los Lobos, about 1/2 mile to the north. It is a great park with fantastic ocean views.
[/QUOTE]I think you mean Point Lobos State Natural Reserve. It costs about $10 to get in or you can park nearby on CA-1 and hike in for free.
Note that weather in Jan/Feb can be rainy/stormy.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
There is an unmarked trail going to the south end of Gibson beach, so you can walk from the Hyatt.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@starzim
I think you mean Point Lobos State Natural Reserve. It costs about $10 to get in or you can park nearby on CA-1 and hike in for free.
Note that weather in Jan/Feb can be rainy/stormy.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, that is the one. I have never paid the fee. I either park outside the park along HW 1 or I have parked in one of the very few handicapped spots (I have a legal placard). It is a great park. The only down side are the areas with wall-to-wall poison oak. So exercise situational awareness and don't leave the trail.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
There was a very irate couple when we were checking in last month. They were part of a ginormous wedding party and wanted to stay on property, without reservations, checking in "RIGHT NOW!"

"You can't stay in those -- that's the residence club."

Well, let us stay in one anyway! It looks like there is plenty available!

And on it went. I finally became frustrated enough to say, "You want to stay up on the hill? Take the sales tour and buy one. Otherwise, go find a Motel 6 somewhere." They left in a huff. The reservations clerk mouthed "thank you" and I checked in shortly thereafter.