• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for info and advice for Margaritaville Rio Mar

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thinking of planning a stay here for a week. It looks pretty out of the way. Has anyone stayed there who can offer advice? Car rentals look pricey. Do I really need one or can we get by with Uber and taxi? Are there any grocery stores nearby that we could get to for a reasonable taxi or Uber charge? I hate to spring for a car when it will likely sit in the parking lot most of the week.

Thanks in advance! Tuggers are the best!

PhilD41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
I am not sure how much this will help, but I can share my experience. My wife and I spent a week there in Feb last year. We did rent a car because we were planning on spending a few days in Old San Juan and spending a day in El Yunque national park. We also ended up in Fajardo for a snorkeling excursion. For us, the car was worth it. There is a Famcoop grocery store about 6km down the road from the resort. I would expect Uber could get you there easy enough. It had everything we needed while we were there.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
IMHO unless you're going to stay on-resort for most of your stay - you need a car. What do you define as pricey? The last time we were there for a week was in mid-November 2023 (during the rainy season), and we paid $329 for a Jeep Wranger Unlimited that was fairly well equipped - that was through Costco which includes all fees plus an extra driver for no additional cost. There is an Enterprise rent a car right in the Rio Mar resort itself - but they typically charge top dollar since they have a captive audience - but if you're looking to simply rent a car only for a day while there - it's an option worth considering. For a week long car rental, we will typically use Costco to find a decent deal, then register that deal with Autoslash which will monitor your registered deal and send alerts via email if/when a better price comes up and it's easy to switch - just cancel the Costco rental and keep whatever Autoslash based rental you book instead. Costco itself doesn't monitor it's own costs so you have to keep checking on their site - I do this too as sometimes you can simply find a much better rental deal with Costco if you are diligent about checking - and the nice thing about Costco is that most of the deals are with tier one rental providers that are all on-airport and it's just much easier to obtain and return the car when compared to the second tier car rental agencies IMHO. That said, most of the better prices come from second tier car rental agencies that are off-airport and require a shuttle ride from the airport to the rental agency which adds 30-90 minutes to your airport activities depending on how long it takes the shuttle to arrive and transit your party, along with how busy the rental agency itself is once you get to the actual agency location. There's also a $15/day charge to park in the Rio Mar covered garage just FYI - so make sure to account for this from a budgeting standpoint.

As @PhilD41 said, there's a Famcoop grocery store not far from the resort that'll have almost anything you need. I'm honestly not sure how convenient Uber would be from Rio Mar given it's a very large property and it's not close to San Juan (about a 45 minute drive from the airport), but I've never tried to use Uber so perhaps someone else can chime in. I'd imagine the resort itself can help with this as well - just contact the concierge for assistance. The on-resort restaurants are pretty pricey - you can get better prices off-resort and likely better food overall - especially with Kioskos De Luquillo's not far down the road with a couple dozen restaurants all right in a row just off the main drag. This is often where we end up for lunch and/or dinner. You need a car to get into El Yunque unless you book a tour that provides travel arrangements (many of them do). PR is a big island and therefore having transportation via a car rental is what we have found most preferable. That said, to each his own.

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I typically use Costco for car rentals as well. I have been checking regularly and the price is just under $500 for a compact and over over that for an intermediate. Currently $527. Even more for anything larger. Hubby won't want to squeeze into anything too small. If I could find something under $400 I'd book it.

I used to keep searching and get great deals on cars. Seems those days are gone.

Just looking at the location it seems a car is preferable. Thanks for the advice.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I typically use Costco for car rentals as well. I have been checking regularly and the price is just under $500 for a compact and over over that for an intermediate. Currently $527. Even more for anything larger. Hubby won't want to squeeze into anything too small. If I could find something under $400 I'd book it.

I used to keep searching and get great deals on cars. Seems those days are gone.

Just looking at the location it seems a car is preferable. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah keep trying with Costco and also set up a search with Autoslash - all reservations are free so no reason not to do so IMHO:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve_solo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think most people will want a car at Rio Mar.
Lots of island to explore.
I used an off airport agency named Charlie Car.
They provide a shuttle to/from. It is just a mile or two from the airport.
I just looked and they have rentals for full size cars at $277 for a week right now.

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Thanks. I just checked and the week in July I am contemplating is $600! Hopefully it will come down.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Thanks. I just checked and the week in July I am contemplating is $600! Hopefully it will come down.
What is your date range for your trip if you don't mind sharing?