• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Hawaii Based Law Firm Recommendation

abaerst

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need to add my Hawaii timeshare into my family's trust. My estate attorney recommends using a law firm knowledgeable in the specific law of Hawaii. I am California based. Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable Hawaii knowledgeable/based real estate law firm? Thanks. - Andy

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Interesting. We added our Hawaiian timeshare to our trust while we were living in California. I'm pretty sure our California lawyer took care of the whole thing.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I forgot to mention that if you have your timeshare in your trust to avoid probate, it will be very difficult for your heirs to refuse it and deed it back. We kept our timeshares out of the trust for that purpose as I did not want my family or trust to be on the hook with no option of disposal.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I forgot to mention that if you have your timeshare in your trust to avoid probate, it will be very difficult for your heirs to refuse it and deed it back. We kept our timeshares out of the trust for that purpose as I did not want my family or trust to be on the hook with no option of disposal.
Lynne, I think that your heirs can refuse any inheritance if that is their choice.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lynne, I think that your heirs can refuse any inheritance if that is their choice.

Not a lawyer, but if the trust owns it the trust can't just disclaim it. And then the timeshare obligations have a claim on the other assets in the trust. That's my understanding, anyway.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There is no real need to use a Hawaii based legal firm to convey a real estate interest to a trust.
There is a strong suggestion that you use a title company that is familiar with Hawaiian title transfers (there are many) to re-deed the property to the trust.

Placing a real estate (timeshare) ownership in a trust protects the value and ownership of the asset from probate and greedy heirs/debtors.
No, the HOA/corporation can not simply 'eat' your estate because you're dead and the trust owns the timeshare.
Yes, the trustee/executor will have a responsibility to manage the trust/estate once you're gone; this includes assets and liabilities.

So, my advice (my ownerships are in trust) is to place 'assets' with some value in the trust.
I would not place timeshare interests that are pure liabilities or unwanted in the foreseeable future in the trust.
I do not view all timeshares as liabilities as some do.....certainly there is great benefit in some developer-only rights that can be preserved via trust.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Once trust administration is completed after death, it would seem to me that at that point the timeshares can be disclaimed by each beneficiary. ( Of course I have never done this as I am still alive :D) Trust administration usually runs about 12 months on a non-complicated trust. My personal fear is multi-state probates for low value timeshares. That would drag out the trust administration even if the timeshares are outside of the trust as attorney fees/court fees would need to be paid to get those through probate. My personal plan is to shed these before death but my back up plan is having them in the trust so that the trustee can deal with them easily using the information that I will leave with them. Of course I don't have any true dogs in the bunch and all should either sell easily or be given away. I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV, but I did confirm my plan with my personal attorney when we updated the trust in 2017 and was given the green light. For what it's worth.