• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for another week in Orlando- currently own at Summerbay.(2019)

Tim T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer Bay
We own a week at Summer Bay in Orlando. We like the resort and location and actively considering buying another week. Any advice, suggestions or warnings? Thank you.

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well obviously resale. You can get most Orlando units for free. Get where you want to go and the rest is really just the enjoyment.

Tim T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer Bay
Yes, Thanks. That is the plan. Just wondering if certain time shares might represent better value, etc.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
If you think you might want to get in with one of the big companies, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton etc. Go to each of their pages on here and read up on the FAQs. This will tell you damn near everything you could want to know about each one.
If you just want another good fixed week in Orlando, go do some previews at resorts you think you might like.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tim T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summer Bay
Two excellent ideas, thanks! Is there a consensus on which of the three, Wyndham, Marriott or Hilton offers the best over all value?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
That, from what I've read and heard and experienced, will depend greatly on your needs and opinion.
You could become a paying tug member and get access to their reviews.
Or you can see who has what resorts in Orlando with the amenities you prefer.
Resale value, I believe Marriott holds value the best, but that doesn't make them the best or easiest to own/trade/work with. Each company has very loyal owners and there are some on here who own with all three.
This is the absolute best place you could have come for answers

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Two excellent ideas, thanks! Is there a consensus on which of the three, Wyndham, Marriott or Hilton offers the best over all value?

What are you looking to do? Are you looking to use in Orlando or want entrance into a points system? What level of amenities and service are you looking for? What type of MF’s are willing to pay? Each of the three systems above all have positives and negatives and, depending on how you want to use the timeshare, each could be the right one for you,

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Join Tug and check out Marketplace!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What week do you own if fixed and when do you usually go if float? Depending on when you travel you may do better just relying on private rentals or exchange company rentals to match up with your week often with a price less than MF's for another week.

tbuhmiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Deleted - advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

MK15

Reaction score
I was going to create a new thread, but this one actually seems like a good place to ask my question. :)

My in-laws own two deeded weeks (not points, separate deeds) at Summer Bay. My wife and I (and our friends) are the only ones who actually use the timeshare and my FIL is looking at either offloading one or both weeks or transferring one to us. We have used a week each year for the last 4 years so we know we'd get the use out of it. We know there's all kinds of 'bargain deal' ways to just rent a week there for less than the maintenance fees, but we also enjoy Summer Bay specifically and aren't in a rush to stay elsewhere when we go to Orlando.

Any advice on pros/cons of taking ownership of a week vs. just bargain-hunting a week? I'm torn because I know there's ways to rent for less than the MF, but we do tend to go to the same resort around the same time each year and like the deeded section of buildings near the clubhouse.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a summer week in NH at Attitash. It is pretty easy to get a week in the summer there if you look more than a few months out and I have noticed that rentals are not that expensive (relative to maintenance fees). I traded in for several years so I know for sure. But when I found the week I wanted on TUG, I jumped on it. It was the week I wanted at the resort I wanted. When I spoke to the owner and found out it was near the pool and two studio lockoffs, I was sold. The benefits? I know exactly where we will be (right next to the pool, the playground and a gas grill) and we can plan our summer around that week. I think that when people talk about renting for less than the MFs, they aren't usually talking about the people who "buy where they want to stay" but folks who are using their units for trading. To buy a unit for trading usually doesn't make a lot of sense but I, for one, think that buying where I stay has been a great method for us.

On a different note, getting a week from your family means you don't have to worry about the factors that can come with buying from people you don't know - you know they own the week, you know the MFs have been paid, you know that the week you are getting is the week you want. You don't have to "hunt" for the right week at the right place. You already have it. There's just a lot of good to be said for that.

Wish you the best!

Judi

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Any advice on pros/cons of taking ownership of a week vs. just bargain-hunting a week? I'm torn because I know there's ways to rent for less than the MF, but we do tend to go to the same resort around the same time each year and like the deeded section of buildings near the clubhouse.
I own a 3br lock off floating 1-51 and when I split it, it's hard to beat the price for two weeks of vacation. Plus I often get a 2 for 1 deal when I deposit with DAE. So four weeks exchange for my one owned week at Summer Bay.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I was going to create a new thread, but this one actually seems like a good place to ask my question. :)

My in-laws own two deeded weeks (not points, separate deeds) at Summer Bay. My wife and I (and our friends) are the only ones who actually use the timeshare and my FIL is looking at either offloading one or both weeks or transferring one to us. We have used a week each year for the last 4 years so we know we'd get the use out of it. We know there's all kinds of 'bargain deal' ways to just rent a week there for less than the maintenance fees, but we also enjoy Summer Bay specifically and aren't in a rush to stay elsewhere when we go to Orlando.

cxsjohn might be able to check his contract for you, but it's probably the same as most resorts: if the week/points were bought from the developer, they can be transferred to the original purchasers offspring for little to no cost. So I would definitely go with getting the weak from your FIL. And like JudiZ said, you know exactly what you're getting, without the concern of some smooth resaler possibly fudging the details or flat out lying to you. I would think that the transfer would go more quickly and smoother when transferring to family as well.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Orlando weeks are easy to buy and easy to trade into. It is seriously overbuilt with Timeshares.

Do your homework and I'm confident you will find something that will meet your needs.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
If the weeks are paid for, there's no difference in getting a "Free" week in bargains. Plus, as another said, transfer to family might be low cost. If the unit's location etc. is important, you won't get that in a floating week.
The main downside is that with a fixed week, you're locked into that week or you have to trade via RCI or II which adds $300+ per year in membership/trade fees. Think about longer term schedules--will that time always work for you? If not, then a points system might be better.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found it better to buy a week not in Orlando. That way you can trade into any resort there, as there are so many great ones. Your costs may be a bit higher because of exchange fees, but I think it's well worth it.