• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for advice on getting out of DRI

jonathoneskel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond
Hello,

My wife and have been fed up with DRI for years from pressuring salespeople to issues with booking. We want out.

We purchased a sample at Polo Towers and finally bought a 4500 point package at Kannapali back in 2019, which we should have known better due the jump in MF. Fast forward to April 2021 in Sedona telling the salesman that we didn't want to get DRI another cent and wanted out. No mention of the Transitions program but he didn't tell us that they had a 10 year plan where we would be clear and out after that if we upgraded up to 7500 points total. We begrudgingly signed because we wanted out but the fees have risen again. (The out is in our contract but haven't seen anyone talk about this?) We are paying $1071 in MF on the points (I think). Package is paid for but the thought of paying 11K over the next 10 years at the minimum makes me want to gag.

Edit: Forgot to add that while we were in Palm Spring in September, when meeting at a presentation (which we were told Hilton would be there, they weren't) we were told that our package was switched in Sedona so that weren't owners now? We wouldn't be able to sell the package back apparently. The supervisor came over and told us if we upgraded our package we could switch back to being able to sell it. After we had gone over and over how we hated DRI and wanted out, he still tried to get us to spend more. My wife told him to go f*uck himself. I was very proud.

So options: I've read of people walking away and just not paying MF and taking the small credit hit. I don't want to get DRI any money through Transitions if I don't have to. Won't be doing the shady 3rd party selling thing, unless someone actually has a good place. Wait until after the Hilton transition to see what outlook is? What is my best play?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If it is paid in full, why not take them up on Transitions? I don't know how many contracts you have, but I think it is $1000 each unless you are in AZ or you own in AZ where it is $250.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Hello,

My wife and have been fed up with DRI for years from pressuring salespeople to issues with booking. We want out.

We purchased a sample at Polo Towers and finally bought a 4500 point package at Kannapali back in 2019, which we should have known better due the jump in MF. Fast forward to April 2021 in Sedona telling the salesman that we didn't want to get DRI another cent and wanted out. No mention of the Transitions program but he didn't tell us that they had a 10 year plan where we would be clear and out after that if we upgraded up to 7500 points total. We begrudgingly signed because we wanted out but the fees have risen again. (The out is in our contract but haven't seen anyone talk about this?) We are paying $1071 in MF on the points (I think). Package is paid for but the thought of paying 11K over the next 10 years at the minimum makes me want to gag.

Edit: Forgot to add that while we were in Palm Spring in September, when meeting at a presentation (which we were told Hilton would be there, they weren't) we were told that our package was switched in Sedona so that weren't owners now? We wouldn't be able to sell the package back apparently. The supervisor came over and told us if we upgraded our package we could switch back to being able to sell it. After we had gone over and over how we hated DRI and wanted out, he still tried to get us to spend more. My wife told him to go f*uck himself. I was very proud.

So options: I've read of people walking away and just not paying MF and taking the small credit hit. I don't want to get DRI any money through Transitions if I don't have to. Won't be doing the shady 3rd party selling thing, unless someone actually has a good place. Wait until after the Hilton transition to see what outlook is? What is my best play?
Do yourself a favor and stop attending presentations. They are not helping you and they are certainly not giving you good information. I would either look in to the Transitions program or wait until the HGVC merger is complete. I was so disgusted with DRI I gave mine back via Transitions in 2017.

Sticky - DRI now accepting deedbacks - Give back your Diamond Resorts Timeshare | Timeshare Users Group Discussion Forums (tugbbs.com)

jonathoneskel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond
If it is paid in full, why not take them up on Transitions? I don't know how many contracts you have, but I think it is $1000 each unless you are in AZ or you own in AZ where it is $250.

Yes paid in full. 1 contract, purchased with DRI. We purchased the sampler in Nevada, the first package in Hawaii and the latest upgrade to get out in Arizona. Would that mean then the latest purchase would be where we own, in AZ?

jonathoneskel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond
Do yourself a favor and stop attending presentations. They are not helping you and they are certainly not giving you good information. I would either look in to the Transitions program or wait until the HGVC merger is complete. I was so disgusted with DRI I gave mine back via Transitions in 2017.

Sticky - DRI now accepting deedbacks - Give back your Diamond Resorts Timeshare | Timeshare Users Group Discussion Forums (tugbbs.com)

Agreed. Naively thought we could talk to someone in Sedona about getting out. We thought the one in Palm Springs would have Hilton people there to talk to. Not anymore.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
It isn't clear whether you own their regular product or their 10 year product.

If it's the regular product click the Transitions link on the website to offer yours. Stop visiting the sales department if you want out.

jonathoneskel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond
It isn't clear whether you own their regular product or their 10 year product.

If it's the regular product click the Transitions link on the website to offer yours. Stop visiting the sales department if you want out.
Good question. The 10 year was what we agreed to cause we wanted that firm out, without knowing about Transitions. So Transitions wouldn't be an option now because we switched over?
And yes, no more sales visits.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Wow that's the 1st time I've heard about "upgrading" to the 10 year product! I'm going to a sales presentation soon and will ask how that works.

Well, at least you only have 10 years left?! $1071 MF for 7500 points is good, I'm paying $3000+ for 15,000 regular points.

pierrepierre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palace Resorts
We got out, Diamond Platinum - 2 years ago, and went thru transitions - everything was paid off. Clean divorce, & easy. Correct, depending on where you purchased the points determines the transitions cost to exit program.