• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for a Printer...

Bolen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations for a do it all printer, scan, fax machine that's priced fairly, and doesn't blast through ink like an in port sailor might through beer? My only experience has been with HP machines, and I haven't been in the market for nearly 8-years, so I'm pretty ignorant. Oh yeah if you also know a good web site or b&m retailer for the purchase, that would be good to know too...

Thanks up front to any techies who share their wisdom...

Cheers, Bob

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I had an Epson RX500 that died just after I bought a new set of ink cartridges. It would say the ink was out and wouldn't let you print, even though the print quality was fine. I replaced it with a Canon MG6120, which lets you keep printing long after it thinks it's out of ink. It's more expensive that many, but I got it because the print quality for photos is excellent. List is $199, but you can buy it online as low as $115.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We really like our Canon multifunction MP560. It's 3-4 years old now and never any problems. Wireless connectivity. On the few times we've lost the wireless to it (i.e. new Airport or long power failure), Canon's support talked me through all the steps to reconnect it to the network - even though it wasn't the printer's fault, and it was out of warranty.

I don't know if it's better or worse on ink than others, but it has the ink separated into five tanks, so if you recycle with Office Max, you get a lot of $3 credits added into your Office Max account.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the secret to buying a new printer is to line up a cheap source of ink for the models being contemplated.

This site has been mentioned on TUG previously and I used them to buy refillable ink cartridges when I had to buy a new printer 8 mths ago or so.

http://www.ccs-digital.com

I went with an Epson workforce 615, wireless printer with fax, copy, scan functions since cheap ink was available.

Sewbiz13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Canon MX870 that prints, scans and faxes. I think I paid around $150 for it and I love it! I can scan and send it right to my email and that has come in very handy for business and personal items. I have had HP printers in the past and there was always some kind of glitch with them (and the ink was expensive). We now have this printer set up as wireless and have been very successful using it that way. The only downfall is that the paper tray doesn't hold a lot of paper but for me, that is no big deal. I love this printer!

Barbara

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kodak makes a line of printers that use pretty inexpensive ink carts. There's some talk that Kodak may go BK soon, but that may just be a business decision. Check WalMart.

I am personally lusting after a Brother wireless laser printer. I don't care that it's monochrome for 90% of my printing, and will automatically print on both sides of the paper. Sure, toner cartridges are more expensive than ink, but I am tired of replacing ink carts that dry up before going empty. I will keep my HP photo printer for when color is important, but that's pretty seldom, and Walgreen's or WalMart are right down the street and charge reasonable fees for photo prints.

Jim

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Canon MP495. It's an all-in-one (print, copy, scan)...B/c I replaced my old Canon w/ this one, the cost was $49.95.. Just do a search, and I'm sure you'll get a good price on any printer (online)

ps...... This printer is compatible w/ my Mac

frankhi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had HP printers in the past and there was always some kind of glitch with them

Barbara

+1, I like HP stuff just not there printers.... I have had a Lexmark (4 function) work perfect for 5 years, software is very good too

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
I have a Canon Multi Function 3240 laser that is about 6 years old. Unit works great and I have not had a single problem with it, although I have never used the fax portion of it, but why bother with a fax when a scan works as well and no phone charge. I use re-manufactured toner cartridges from Amazon with no problem as well. I bought it on sale at Staples for $99.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had an HP Officejet Pro 8500 wireless for over a year that works great for us. So far, so good.

The wireless feature is neat--DH may be clear over yonder in the living room while I'm back here in my office, and the Officejet starts spitting out his prints from the other side of the house.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Canon MX870 that prints, scans and faxes. I think I paid around $150 for it and I love it!

+1 for Canon MX870. I love mine, too.

I've bought cheap 3rd party ink from Amazon, from the vendor that goes by the name ink4print. Works great, and the ink is incredibly cheap. The trick to buying 3rd party ink is to make sure the vendor sells cartridges that have the embedded chip that the printer recognizes. I bought from this vendor because they stated that theirs had the chip. I've now bought from them twice (total of 3 sets of 5 ink cartridges), and it's always worked great. Works out to about $10 for a set of 5 cartridges, plus tax and shipping.

-Bob

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you don't need color, I'd suggest looking at the multi function black and white laser options from Brother. I find laser to be much less expensive overall, rarely need to change the cartridge (if ever, depending on how much you print), and reliable.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I usually buy HP printers. If you have an iPhone and want to use bluetooth to print photos right from your phone, make sure the HP printer has the AirPrint feature. I can't believe the iPhone doesn't support any other bluetooth connection - even my old LG phone did that.

blakebr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations for a do it all printer, scan, fax machine that's priced fairly, and doesn't blast through ink like an in port sailor might through beer? My only experience has been with HP machines, and I haven't been in the market for nearly 8-years, so I'm pretty ignorant. Oh yeah if you also know a good web site or b&m retailer for the purchase, that would be good to know too...

Thanks up front to any techies who share their wisdom...

Cheers, Bob

check slickdeals.net on a regular basis. I have purchased all in one printers there for$24 bucks. Refurbished but who cares for $24 bucks. Buy three and save on ink.

Bruce

jlf58

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hands down best printer on the market under $300

I just paid $150

We've had an HP Officejet Pro 8500 wireless for over a year that works great for us. So far, so good.

The wireless feature is neat--DH may be clear over yonder in the living room while I'm back here in my office, and the Officejet starts spitting out his prints from the other side of the house.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I think the secret to buying a new printer is to line up a cheap source of ink for the models being contemplated.

^^^^ This.

Also, if possible, skip ink entirely and go with a laser printer. They cost less in the long run. When I had an inkjet, I'd have to constantly replace mostly-full ink cartridges because they clogged/dried in between print jobs.

Toner doesn't "go bad." I've had an Epson CX11 for five years now, and only had to replace the black toner once. The color toner is still the stuff that came with the printer. If it died tomorrow, it owes me nothing.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
I also have a Canon that is fantastic. I have the MX850. I'm not sure if someone already mentioned this, but one of the greatest things about this printer is the ink. There are 5 ink cartridges (black/black photo/cyan/magenta/yellow. With this ink system, you replace a cartridge when it is needed, not like the multi-color cartridges. With a multi-color, if you use a lot of cyan, but not magenta/yellow, you may have to replace the cartridge just because cyan has run low. You have effectively wasted the magenta/yellow in that cartridge. And the ink is no more expensive, possibly even cheaper, than the multi-color cartridges.

Bolen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, you've given me plenty to chew on, and I appreciate every responce... I know way more than I did a few days ago...

Cheers, Bob