• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking at buying an HRC week at Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
The week is Silver with 1400 points. I know that I lose the ability to transfer points to World of Hyatt. Beyond that am I losing any other benefits in the resale market than I would from the developer?

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week is Silver with 1400 points. I know that I lose the ability to transfer points to World of Hyatt. Beyond that am I losing any other benefits in the resale market than I would from the developer?

You do not lose any other benefits. I feel I must add: I hope this silver week you refer to is a specific week and unit location that you will use at PP. 1400 points will not go very far in the HRC system, and the MFee per point is high. If fact, I would not take that week even if free.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for that. I never stay a week anywhere. Looking to use it for 2-4 night stays. The one I am looking at is $.87 per point for MF. I've looked at the Gold weeks for 1880 points but the up front cost seem much higher. It sounds like Platinum and Diamond are hard to get because of ROFR.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently gave away a 1300 point bronze unit there. Most Hyatt folks will say (as above) that lower point units below 1400 points are not worth having - but I used mine for II studio exchanges and also for multiple 4 night offseason Hyatt exchanges. I came out really well with it.

You should be able to get a silver 1400 point unit for free and also likely get closing covered except for the transfer fee. I would say if it works for you and you get more value than you pay in then go for it. I was able to do that with mine- i just chose to go for more points after selling another timeshare and gave that unit away because that is what the market is right now.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with Sapper. The other consideration you may want to keep in mind is resale. Silver weeks are sometimes difficult even to give away for free, as savvy buyers are reluctant to pick up the MF burden on weeks that occur in the less desirable times of the year. Buying Platinum or Diamond at least gives you something of value to offer when and if you decide you want to sell.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We own EOYE w/ the intent to trade into 4 resorts, Sedona, Sierra, Highlands, and San Antonio. Since we own now all MVC Systems, I didn’t need the higher weeks. Our cost was $2500 all in. So I would hold our for at least a Gold

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other consideration you may want to keep in mind is resale. Silver weeks are sometimes difficult even to give away for free, as savvy buyers are reluctant to pick up the MF burden on weeks that occur in the less desirable times of the year. Buying Platinum or Diamond at least gives you something of value to offer when and if you decide you want to sell.

You do have a point and I agree - i decided to pay closing costs on top of giving my bronze EOY unit away. But I expected that when I "bought" the unit. And I should have mentioned before that it was an EOY unit.

In my case I do not need a lot of points. Being a points user (vs a home reservation user) I would not have wanted a silver or below unit for EVERY year because of the MF to point ratio as you mentioned. But EOY allowed the MF to be cut in half plus the club fee again and I could still get what I wanted with the points - and since HPP has lower MFs i bought there. So that unit was a win for me because the value of what I booked was a lot more than what it cost me. The OP mentioned using it for 2 and 4 night stays - so it may work for him also - but I also would not likely buy a silver or below unit for every year unless I wanted to use the home reservation.

So i think the EOY units are a bit of different animal.

It is interesting how people use their ownership differently - and it works because of the flexiblity of the Hyatt system. I owned other TS before buying a Hyatt - but I got onto Tug and learned as much as I could about Hyatt before I got into it.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with Sapper. The other consideration you may want to keep in mind is resale. Silver weeks are sometimes difficult even to give away for free, as savvy buyers are reluctant to pick up the MF burden on weeks that occur in the less desirable times of the year. Buying Platinum or Diamond at least gives you something of value to offer when and if you decide you want to sell.
So the unit I am looking at is 1400 points for MF of $1200. This seems like a good balance. Its hard to get a Platinum or Diamond with Hyatt because of ROFR. I have seen 1880 points at other locations with more upfront costs and MF of $1900. I never stay in one place for a week and am looking at a lot of summer days in Colorado. I appreacite all of your input.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the unit I am looking at is 1400 points for MF of $1200. This seems like a good balance. Its hard to get a Platinum or Diamond with Hyatt because of ROFR. I have seen 1880 points at other locations with more upfront costs and MF of $1900. I never stay in one place for a week and am looking at a lot of summer days in Colorado. I appreacite all of your input.
I think there is a misconception that Hyatt regularly exercises RoFR. There was a period of time when Marriott announced the purchase of Interval and a year after that Hyatt just didn't exercise RoFR at all. There were some really low prices at that time.

Back in early October a friend of mine had RoFR exercised on his purchase. It was a great week, at a really low price.

I am aware of other sales that have closed since then that were really good prices that did not have RoFR exercised. I think Hyatt is selective about where they exercise RoFR. For example, they are probably more likely to exercise at say Windward Pointe than Wild Oak Ranch (where about 50% of their HPP inventory is).

Once you feel like you understand a system, and know that you can make it work well for you, it's hard to be patient, but just wait for the right deal, or set a max price point for what you want. If you do happen to get RoFR exercised, just try again. If you own for say 10-15 years, the few months it takes to buy something won't make a difference in the scheme of things.

I think October - December is a great time to buy as people get their maintenance fees and simply don't want to pay another one.

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I totally see where OP is coming from. I’m currently in process of getting Pinon Pointe week 10. I almost took The EOY one but decided for a week I would like to use but have flexibility if don’t use it. From what I understand I can use for a weekend portion of assigned week and then also get other midweek stays at other times in a smaller unit. So I can still have 3-4 stays at Pinon pointe with my points. Like OP -wanting to make sure I understand and am getting what works for me at a good value
Waiting on ROFR — not sure what Hyatt’s been doing recently.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never stay in one place for a week and am looking at a lot of summer days in Colorado. I appreacite all of your input.

I have not seen you mention what size unit you are wanting to get in CO in the summer - and which resorts. Between Aspen, Breckenridge, Avon and Beaver Creek only Aspen has 1brs units. Beaver Creek has only 2br and 3br units. A 2br generally takes 3 times the points of a studio. Aspen is high season all summer but the other 3 are not.

You really need to map out how many points you think you will need and which resorts you want and compare against the points chart. You might also want to read up on how hard summer weeks are to get in CO at each resort (generally low season is not hard to get). And how long you plan to use the ownership factors in - more money spent upfront will pay back over the long run.

I did a quick check online for CO 4 night midweek stays - there were 3 or 4 studios available this summer in both Breckenridge and Avon. Plenty of 2br available everywhere but Aspen. Aspen only got a single hit for a 2br. Remember we are within 6 months of early August so inventory some inventory has likely been taken.

Kal's website is a wonderful source of information on Hyatt if you have not seen it.

http://www.bywindkal.com/HVC.htm

Happy hunting !

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting on ROFR — not sure what Hyatt’s been doing recently.

I think we would be surprised if Hyatt excercised ROFR on a silver week. They are glad somebody is paying the MFs.

I SUSPECT if you talked to someone on the board at multiple Hyatt locations you would find there are more defaults on low season units than you might think - an issue with the timeshare business in general.

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
They exercised ROFR on a free unit I tried to get Oct 2018 1240 points for 1bd in summer. I love Kal website but the ROFR’s have not been updated since 7/2019. I’m glad now :). So much great info and insight from everyone

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Avon ? Technicaly there are no HRC properties in AVON. Both are in the Beaver Creek Village.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
They exercised ROFR on a free unit I tried to get Oct 2018 1240 points for 1bd in summer. I love Kal website but the ROFR’s have not been updated since 7/2019. I’m glad now :). So much great info and insight from everyone

Interesting - but I would also point out that 1240 sounds like a gold unit which would infer a more desirable season. It sounds like Hyatt likely wanted the unit. It does not seem there is much difference in MFs with a 1br vs a 2br unit - but the point values are very different - so I tend to dismiss 1br units because of the points to MF ratio. But when you think of using the unit - the week and unit view can be very important.

How long have you been waiting for ROFR? I bought late last year and they took almost the full 30 days. And Hyatt claimed they got the paperwork a full week after the closing company said they sent it. So it was closer to 5 weeks before I heard.

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It’s through Redweek and they are very slow. Not sure if submitted to Hyatt yet

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avon ? Technicaly there are no HRC properties in AVON. Both are in the Beaver Creek Village.

That was based on Kal's point chart. It lists AVON, CO under Hyatt Mountain Lodge. Kal would never be wrong ! ;)

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Well KAL is wrong this time. But it's not his fault. Probably because he has never been to Beaver Creek and Avon. He might have possibly just based his info on an old mailing addresses of the properties but not their actual physical locations.

Note: I just looked at the charts on Kal's website and I see the problem. On the old Hyatt produced points charts they list the Hyatt Mountain Lodge as being in Avon. So its really Hyatt's mistake, or a technicality from years ago, but if you look at the addresses and club descriptions on the new HRC website you will see the address now say Beaver Creek (Village) (Which is where they always have been). So to me its not accurate to say that the Mountain Lodge club is in Avon, when it really is not in Avon at all.

And there is a difference between the Beaver Creek Village and the Town of Avon. Although they are somewhat attached to each other they are not the same. They are separate entities. Separated by a few miles, up hill ! And both the Hyatt Residence Club Beaver Creek, Mountain Lodge and the Hyatt Residence Club at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek are in the Beaver Creek Village, not Avon !

All one needs to do is look at the address of the clubs as shown on: Hyatt Residence Club web site / our resorts section and you will see:

Hyatt Residence Club at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek
136 East Thomas Place, Beaver Creek, Colorado 81620

Hyatt Residence Club Beaver Creek, Mountain Lodge
63 Avondale Lane, Beaver Creek, Colorado 81620

You should visit either someday soon (or even the Hyatt Main Street Station in Breckenridge CO, or The Grand Hyatt Residence Club in Aspen CO ) and you will see what I mean. And you will have a wonderful time in Colorado. Try a summer visit or especially an early to late fall visit where you can stay in either of the luxury properties for practically no points. (Based on availability). But both the Beaver Creek village and Avon will be mostly shut down (Dead) - resturant wise. Just FYI :)

and P.S. it looks like there is quite a bit of info sections on KAL's web site that are getting way out of date, so users should be aware of that.

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal did an amazing job building that site and it really helped me learn about Hyatt - down to reading the club rules. I don't think there is a lot to update anymore on the website since Hyatt is going in a totally different direction with HPP - which is in conflict with our beloved HRC deeded ownerships.

I have been to Breckenridge and stayed in HGVC Valdoro during a "mud" week. Most everything was open - we really enjoyed it. I bet summer is a great time to go.

In my previous home we paid taxes to the city we physically lived in but had a mailing address that was to a neighboring city. That was because the post office that serviced us was in the neighboring city. It was pretty odd.