• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking at 2nd TS

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
GadgetRick said:
None of the TSs seem to have a LOT of ski areas but WM seems to have a few I can have fun with.
The Rickster
If you search on amenity "Downhill skiing" and resort name "Worldmark" you get a list of 29, including one in Australia and one in New Zealand and three in BC. The rest are in the USA.

Marriott has five at ski areas (Vail, Tahoe, Breckinridge, and two at Park City).
I think Starwood has only two ski resorts, but they are at Vail and Beaver Creek. HGVC has one at Breckinridge; I don't know if there are any at other locations. I think Bluegreen's ski resorts are all in the midwest. VRI bought ORE a while back and has several ski resorts, including ones at Jackson Hole and Park City. I think VRI does internal exchanges for a fee. Sunterra has five, but one is at Gatlinburg, TN and three are in AZ/NM. One is at Steamboat Springs, though. RHC has a number of ski resorts but all but two (at Lake Placid and Breckinridge) are at Vail. I don't know if RHC has its own exchange system. I can't think of any others that would be part of a chain.

Before you buy from any of these, I suggest you read the reviews and talk to owners about their experiences with the resort and whatever mini-exchange system it is affiliated with.

Last edited:

GadgetRick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I had thought I had it figured out. Was going to go with WorldMark as they have more resorts in ski areas than FF or HGVC. However, just found out a couple of things which may be deal stoppers over there. So now I'm back to square one.

As I've said, I like HGVC as it offers flexibility but I'd wind up exchaning for 99% of the travel I'd use it for. I don't want to deal with that.

FF has more ski resorts but still not as many as WM so I'd be exchanging for 85-95% of the travel I'd use it for.

Am I making a bigger deal out of exchanging than I need to be? I just don't want to lose value with the points I've purchased. I also don't want to be forced to take a full week when I only need a few nights or not be able to ever get the resorts I want.

Any thoughts?

Sorry to keep bugging everyone, it's just nice to know people who actually know the systems.

The Rickster

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI directory of resort online

GadgetRick said:
Are you searching with Google or here on TUG? Good tip there.

The Rickster

I was searching in the online RCI directory.

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
GadgetRick said:
FF has more ski resorts but still not as many as WM so I'd be exchanging for 85-95% of the travel I'd use it for.

Am I making a bigger deal out of exchanging than I need to be? I just don't want to lose value with the points I've purchased. I also don't want to be forced to take a full week when I only need a few nights or not be able to ever get the resorts I want.The Rickster

Perhaps you should buy at a FF location that has skiing within 30 miles. Fairfield Pagosa would be affordable at resale prices. Buy UDI (undivided interest) points (rather than a fixed week converted to points) at Peregrine or Teal Landing so that you could make an ARP (advance reservation priority) reservation at 10-13 months before checkin for 3, 4 or 7 days. You would need 166K for a prime 2BR for one week at Teal Landing. Peregrine has large 2BR lockoffs at 94.5K for the small side and 105K for the larger side. However, most of ski season (except weeks 51 and 52) is not prime at Pagosa. You could get weeks 1-7 for as little as 126K (Teal Landing) or a 2BR lockoff at Peregrine for 161K.

With FSP (Fairshare Plus, Fairfield points) there is no exchange fee if you exchange to any Fairfield-managed or Fairfield affliate or associate location. For an (ever-increasing, it seems) fee you would be able to exchange via RCI for another ski week. FSP includes an RCI membership so there'd be no additional annual membership fee. There's no guarantee that you will be able to get the high end resorts at prime locations, though. You might ask on the Fairfield_Timeshare Yahoo! group about how well FSP points trade for prime ski weeks out west. If you are interested in buying Fairfield, I would encourage you to join that group before buying. They have databases showing what types of trades members have gotten in RCI using their FSP points.

If you buy from Fairfield or pay a fee (about $2400) you could have the PlusPartners program on your Fairfield account which would allow you to use FSP points to make reservations at RCI Points resorts at 10 months or less before checkin. There would be an exchange fee but it would be less than with the RCI weeks system and you would not have to reserve a whole week.

Another possibility would be an RCI Points resort. You'd still have the option of taking shorter vacations.

The main problems you are likely to encounter with exchanging are

1. RCI's exchange fee
2. Possible lack of availability at the resorts you want to go to
3. Inability to reserve for less than an full week with the RCI exchange system.

The pros are that you might be able to reserve a 1 or 2 BR unit at a less well know ski area in the west with only a 70K Fairfield red studio so that the amount of the RCI exchange fee won't matter so much.

GadgetRick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I believe I know what I'm going to do. Spoke with Seth at great length today. Looks like I'm going to pick up an 8400 point Hilton account. Long story but it just seems like the best thing for me other than a Hyatt TS but that's just a little more than I'm willing to buy right now... :)

I'll keep everyone posted to let you know for sure. Thanks SO much for all of your help!!! I'm sure I'll be posting with questions in the future. I will also be joining TUG since it (obviously) saved me quite a bit of money. :)

Thanks.

The Rickster