• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Longtime Vistana owner now looking at buying HGVC resale.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
Totally new to HGVC. How hard is it to find availability other than your home resort?
looking at a platinum resale 8,400 points
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Totally new to HGVC. How hard is it to find availability other than your home resort?

Depends on where you want to go. Some places like Orlando, The Big Island (Hawaii), Vegas, and Myrtle are pretty easy to book. Others need to be booked at 9 months (the opening of the club season). Others, like Hilton Head, Lagoon Tower in Oahu and ski weeks at Breckenridge CO/ Park City UT are very difficult. Many of the Florida Gulf Coast resorts are very difficult as well, especially the Captiva and Sanibel Island resorts.

Where are thinking of buying?

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard

With advance planning, most locales have decent availability, especially where there are multiple venues (Orlando, Big Island, Honolulu, Big Island, Myrtle Beach, Carlsbad). Exceptions will be Florida Gulf coast (Marco Island, Sanibel, etc); New York (Some more than others), Utah/Colorado during ski season, and rare things like the penthouse suites at Lagoon Tower (Honolulu) or holidays.

HGVC also has a nice tie-in with RCI for last call bookings and regular exchange as well. Maybe Vistana had that already.

8400 is a great total but watch your maintenance fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I started out as a HGV buyer and added Vistana later on. I think the systems and locations are a good compliment for each other. Like others will say, some resorts are easy at 9 months and some are more difficult. You probably already experience that with Vistana at the 8 month mark.

Difficult doesn’t mean impossible especially if you’re not tied to school season.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
For the record, my dog distracted me so I didn’t realize @dayooper had said everything I had started typing. :)

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
Depends on where you want to go. Some places like Orlando, The Big Island (Hawaii), Vegas, and Myrtle are pretty easy to book. Others need to be booked at 9 months (the opening of the club season). Others, like Hilton Head, Lagoon Tower in Oahu and ski weeks at Breckenridge CO/ Park City UT are very difficult. Many of the Florida Gulf Coast resorts are very difficult as well, especially the Captiva and Sanibel Island resorts.

It’s an EOY at

It’s EOY at Valdoro mountain lodge.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
With advance planning, most locales have decent availability, especially where there are multiple venues (Orlando, Big Island, Honolulu, Big Island, Myrtle Beach, Carlsbad). Exceptions will be Florida Gulf coast (Marco Island, Sanibel, etc); New York (Some more than others), Utah/Colorado during ski season, and rare things like the penthouse suites at Lagoon Tower (Honolulu) or holidays.

HGVC also has a nice tie-in with RCI for last call bookings and regular exchange as well. Maybe Vistana had that already.

8400 is a great total but watch your maintenance fees.

So there are no restrictions in using ur points wether buying resale or from developer in the HGVC?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
So there are no restrictions in using ur points wether buying resale or from developer in the HGVC?

Nope, you get the same reservation windows as any other member. The only restriction you have is you can't get elite status buying at the majority at resorts.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We also own Vistana mandatory (WKORVN) and HGVC and the locations and deed-based points systems complement each other. We have been happy with the combination.

Where do you plan to visit? Do you plan on using the Valdoro 3 bdrm EOY during ski season for the forseeable future? If not the MF/point on that are high (.22 per point). You might do better with a resale Vegas (Blvd, Paradise, Elara, Flamingo) for 4800 or 7000 annual on a MF cost basis.

Most HGVC owners don't use their home resort reservation except for certain high demand resorts (HI Lagoon Tower summer, Florida Gulf, Ski weeks). The reason is because you must use your exact unit 3 bdrm, and season). This makes the HGVC system highly fluid and great for points.

Erinaadyn

Reaction score
We also own Vistana mandatory (WKORVN) and HGVC and the locations and deed-based points systems complement each other. We have been happy with the combination.

Where do you plan to visit? Do you plan on using the Valdoro 3 bdrm EOY during ski season for the forseeable future? If not the MF/point on that are high (.22 per point). You might do better with a resale Vegas (Blvd, Paradise, Elara, Flamingo) for 4800 or 7000 annual on a MF cost basis.

Most HGVC owners don't use their home resort reservation except for certain high demand resorts (HI Lagoon Tower summer, Florida Gulf, Ski weeks). The reason is because you must use your exact unit 3 bdrm, and season). This makes the HGVC system highly fluid and great for points.
This is great information. I think the MF on the resale I am looking at will be around $1,800. We would be using the 3 BR Valdaro in the summer. We are not skiers...love the outdoors and hiking.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own both and would say HGVC "in network" availability is actually a bit better than in Vistana. Hilton Head, Lagoon Tower in Oahu and ski weeks at Breckenridge CO/ Park City UT are comparable to Harborside/Westin St. John and ski weeks in Vistana (i.e., difficult but not impossible). I actually don't think NYC is very difficult to get at all and in fact with a new property and relaxed booking windows, I think aside from certain event weeks, you'd be able to find something there almost any time.

The one difference to keep in mind (and this is part of what drives the demand of the above referenced weeks in HGVC) is that there is a lot more variability in points costs across the HGVC network than there is in Vistana. The Lagoon tower in Oahu is partially so difficult to get because it is priced at the "original" points costs, which are much lower than the newer built towers on the same property (it also benefits from one of the best locations on property, but I bet if the Islander Tower or Grand Waikikian was priced at the same points for a 2-bedroom, we'd see a drop in demand for the Lagoon tower).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am not familiar with Valdoro reservation availability in summer but in looking at the HGV system for this summer there are no 3 bdrms available until October so perhaps owning where you want to go might make sense if you want that unit type since they are limited. Perhaps others can comment on availability for a 3 bdrm in summer at the 9 month club points window.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I am not familiar with Valdoro reservation availability in summer but in looking at the HGV system for this summer there are no 3 bdrms available until October so perhaps owning where you want to go might make sense if you want that unit type since they are limited. Perhaps others can comment on availability for a 3 bdrm in summer at the 9 month club points window.

It looks like summer is platinum season so the 12 month advantage might help to get the exact week you would want like 4th of July. And home week bookings are free.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
This is great information. I think the MF on the resale I am looking at will be around $1,800. We would be using the 3 BR Valdaro in the summer. We are not skiers...love the outdoors and hiking.
Just to add to @buzglyd's post -- if you want to use it in the summer, confirm that the deed is truly a summer Platinum season deed there. Valdoro is a bit different than other resorts in that it has two Platinum seasons (summer and ski), and each deed only has the Home Week preference (12-9 month booking priority) for that particular season. For example, if you have a ski-season floating deed, you could not use that to book in the summer at 12 months out. Same deal with a ski-season fixed week deed.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We would be using the 3 BR Valdaro in the summer.
I wouldn't recommend that you buy at Valdoro for the summer season because the MFs are too high. It is very easy to book there during club season. We do this all the time and enjoy Breckenridge and Valdoro very much (we usually go to Valdoro about 3 times each year). I do own a winter ski week in 3-bd there but book summer during club season.