• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Long time DVC'er trying to navigate new-to-me RCI exchange potential

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new today (after lurking and reading for a week to get my bearings!) Trying to decide if we are interested in a family Wyndham property w/ RCI or not. Biggest single reason to keep or to not keep it would be the possibility of exchanging into DVC (at any property, we love them all). We plan ahead and can travel almost anytime and are fine if it's SS 3day/4day/7day.

How hard, or how easy have you found it to get DVC using the RCI exchange? Thanks for any input!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Is your question as a DVC owner, how difficult is it using an RCI exchange? You can log into your DVC Account and under the plan vacations tab at the top there is an option for Book Online RCI. This takes you to the RCI site, check inventory of the area that you want. Once you book an RCI reservation for a given year, those points stay in that use year and stay as RCI points. There are specific rules, so there are dedicated DVC CM's that are familiar with RCI, so use them as a resource. After 10 years as members, we never did an RCI exchange, until recently. We are booked for fall of 2020 for Hard Rock Hotel, All Inclusive, Riviera Maya. There was a good promotion when I booked, stay 4 nights, get 3 nights of All Inclusive Fee Free. Made economic sense for us as I priced what it would cost booking the HR using cash. Very excited! Good Luck I would research the thoroughly research the resort you are interested on Trip Advisor, first! I read countless reviews before deciding to book the HR Riviera Maya.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is NOT DVC in style or owner care.

You can RENT Wyndham vacations cheaper than owning a few hundred thousands of points, paying $6-7.70 per 1K of points in MFs yearly, paying for "Housekeeping Credits" and "Reservations Transactions" PLUS the $99-129 each Guest Certificates. Yes, they have many resorts and located in many states in the US ... but those Prime Seasons get booked by owners at those resorts (early booking window) or CWA (Access Owners).

DVC allows checkin bookings any day of the week ... Wyndham during the early (Owners at that resort) booking window starts either Fri or Sat (Sun at a few resorts) for 3, 4, or 7 day stays. Without buying 600,000 points from Wyndham direct (not resale points), you pay basic services the DVC just doesn't bother with.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you would experience great difficulty booking DVC property using RCI. It's just a simple supply and demand thing. There are millions of DVC fans and just a few thousands of units available that Disney releases to non-Disney booking.

Jim

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say good luck and welcome to TUG

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new today (after lurking and reading for a week to get my bearings!) Trying to decide if we are interested in a family Wyndham property w/ RCI or not. Biggest single reason to keep or to not keep it would be the possibility of exchanging into DVC (at any property, we love them all). We plan ahead and can travel almost anytime and are fine if it's SS 3day/4day/7day.

How hard, or how easy have you found it to get DVC using the RCI exchange? Thanks for any input!
If you've signed up and a big reason is to exchange to Disney, cancel if you can. You will not be happy with that plan. Even if it makes sense otherwise for non Disney, you should likely cancel and educated yourself before deciding and make sure you understand about resale as well.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It sounds like OP already owns DVC and is trying to decide on inheriting or otherwise obtaining for free a Wyndham unit owned by a family member. The purpose for obtaining the Wyndham unit would be to trade into DVC via RCI.

I have no comment on that (don’t own Wyndham nor am I an RCI member). Just posting because folks seem confused as to what OP is asking.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you've signed up and a big reason is to exchange to Disney, cancel if you can. You will not be happy with that plan. Even if it makes sense otherwise for non Disney, you should likely cancel and educated yourself before deciding and make sure you understand about resale as well.
Fortunately it isn't a deed we bought. The Wyndham deed is already owned by family and is Ovation-eligible, but before we do a deedback, we were thinking ... hmm ... should we find out about exchanging into RCI for DVC? But it sounds like in your experience it's challenging enough to get DVC that keeping the timeshare with this goal would not be wise. It's true that we would never buy with the hope of doing this, but deciding whether to take over the MF going forward ... that's a puzzler for us!

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like OP already owns DVC and is trying to decide on inheriting or otherwise obtaining for free a Wyndham unit owned by a family member. The purpose for obtaining the Wyndham unit would be to trade into DVC via RCI.

I have no comment on that (don’t own Wyndham nor am I an RCI member). Just posting because folks seem confused as to what OP is asking.

Yup! That was my question, written about as poorly as possible, now that I re-read it! I'm less coherent late at night than I think I am--lol!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Fortunately it isn't a deed we bought. The Wyndham deed is already owned by family and is Ovation-eligible, but before we do a deedback, we were thinking ... hmm ... should we find out about exchanging into RCI for DVC? But it sounds like in your experience it's challenging enough to get DVC that keeping the timeshare with this goal would not be wise. It's true that we would never buy with the hope of doing this, but deciding whether to take over the MF going forward ... that's a puzzler for us!

Unless your only vacation interest is Disney (nothing wrong with that!), you might ask about the unit in question in the Wyndham forum. They can tell you the valuableness of the Wyndham unit, what kinds of things it could be used for, how easy it would be to use, etc. It might be worth having for non-DVC purposes. I have no idea, not being a Wyndham person. But others here will know for sure.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless your only vacation interest is Disney (nothing wrong with that!), you might ask about the unit in question in the Wyndham forum.
Thanks for the idea of asking in the Wyndham forum!Yeah, I'd say 95% of our interest is Disney!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you see the Wyndham ownership as worthwhile without trading to DVC, I wouldn't accept it. It's unlikely to be helpful or cost effective trading to DVC. If you'll post specifics of the ownership we should be able to give more specific thoughts.

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
308,000 biennial; MF $700 (so $1400 for the lump of points). I am able to login to the Wyndham acct and from there to the RCI acct. Are there other details I could include that would be helpful?

We have modest interest in using home resort, but knowing it was possible to exch into DVC would make the ownership far more valuable to us.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It's points, 308,000 biennial odd. We usually stay in DVC studios, so a 1bdrm would be quite an upgrade. Dean above referenced four separate fees associated with making this exchange. That gives me pause. But we are super flexible.

(I pulled this quote over from the other thread.) Here's a real-life example of the cost to exchange into DVC. You'll have your Wyndham maintenance fees, RCI exchange fee, and the Disney fee for incoming exchanges at check-in. Our maintenance fee rate last year, including the program fee, was $6.52 per 1,000 Wyndham points. The most common exchange cost is 105,000 Wyndham points for a DVC 1BR, occasionally higher or lower.

105,000 Wyndham points x $6.52 = $684.60
RCI exchange fee = $239
Disney fee = $190
Total = $1,113.60, or $159/nt

I think that nightly cost is pretty comparable to the rack rate for a Disney value resort these days.

Obviously, RCI, Disney, or Wyndham could change any part of this equation at any time. But this is how it stands right now. And Bonnet Creek is always an option.

Edit: the main variable here is going to be your maintenance fees, which vary depending on what resort you own. The points needed may be as low as 77k or as high as 126k depending on the season, but are most frequently 105k.

Last edited:

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our MF is 4.42 (incl program fee), so ... $128/nt. Oh, wow. Yup, can't even get a value for that most times of the year! Okay, well this certainly gives me something to think about.

Last question (for now-lol!) Is there a fee to have an ongoing search with RCI? And thx so much for all the help.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Our MF is 4.42 (incl program fee), so ... $128/nt. Oh, wow. Yup, can't even get a value for that most times of the year! Okay, well this certainly gives me something to think about.

Last question (for now-lol!) Is there a fee to have an ongoing search with RCI? And thx so much for all the help.

When you set up an ongoing search, you'll pay the exchange fee of $239 up front (unless RCI happens to be running a special, but that's not that frequent). Then you'll have that fee in your account as a credit when the time comes to make an exchange, and won't need to pay it a second time. If you happen to never find anything with your search, I believe you can have the fee refunded (but I've never had to do that).

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got it! Thanks again. Really appreciating this community only a week in... (And most of that was lurking!)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
308,000 biennial; MF $700 (so $1400 for the lump of points). I am able to login to the Wyndham acct and from there to the RCI acct. Are there other details I could include that would be helpful?

We have modest interest in using home resort, but knowing it was possible to exch into DVC would make the ownership far more valuable to us.
So basically 154K a year, close to the same we have (though we also have other options). If you'll use it otherwise and DVC would be gravy, it seems reasonable if you can afford the fees and risk going forward. Wyndham has a great system overall.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Biggest single reason to keep or to not keep it would be the possibility of exchanging into DVC (at any property, we love them all). We plan ahead and can travel almost anytime and are fine if it's SS 3day/4day/7day.
308,000 biennial; MF $700 (so $1400 for the lump of points).
This is key. With Wyndham, it doesn't really matter much which Wyndham is the home resort, since you are able to plan ahead and have a flexible schedule. BUT, would you be happy to use those points to stay at various Wyndham resorts if DVC stopped trading through RCI and you could NOT try for a trade there? Since you would be committing to ownership of a Wyndham contract, you need to be sure you would be satisfied to use it at Wyndham properties. Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further.

Regarding the current situation with DVC exchanges (subject to change, of course), those are nice, low maintenance fees, just $478 for a 105K 1BR week. So if you add the current RCI $239 exchange fee and the $190 resort fee charged by Disney to exchangers at checking, a 1BR week at DVC SSR would cost you $907 total (no taxes required). This is a nice number - just subject to change. [Unfortunately, a 3-, 4-, or 5-night exchange would cost the same, so don't consider those.]

We have found it fairly easy to trade into DVC SSR 1BRs with a flexible schedule and early OnGoing Searches (OGS) through RCI. Holiday weeks are generally out of the question, and you probably already know that it's not easy to get popular festival weeks in October, RunDisney weeks, or weeks during Spring Break - although may be possible. But that still leaves a lot of the year. :)

You can RENT Wyndham vacations cheaper than owning a few hundred thousands of points, paying $6-7.70 per 1K of points in MFs yearly, paying for "Housekeeping Credits" and "Reservations Transactions" PLUS the $99-129 each Guest Certificates.
Given the further details posted by the OP, I'm not sure that much of this would apply to the OP's specific situation. In my 20+ years owning (resale) Wyndham points, this has not been my experience either. It really depends on the contract(s) owned, MF, usage style, etc.

For the OP, your cost for a 1BR RCI exchange using the Wyndham points, including $239 exchange fee, would be:
$589 off-season 1BR trade for 77K points
$717 popular season 1BR trade for 105K points
$812 prime holiday week 1BR trade for 126K points
...all subject to change with increasing MFs and/or RCI exchange fee.

Last edited:

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would not take on Wyndham maintenance fees just for potential trading into Saratoga via RCI (trades come thru late in my opinion). It might be easier to book a moderate Disney resort on cash with a code as far as planning. Now, if you would use Wyndham points for other vacations - that would make it totally worth it. I have been able to book Wyndham resorts at 10 months out easily. We own DVC, Marriott, and Wyndham points. This last year we used our Wyndham points to book Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk on Oahu and are using our Wyndham points to visit Disneyland in October (booked Dolphin’s Cove and Peacock Suites near Disneyland for us and our daughter’s family).

Swans5

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Unfortunately, a 3-, 4-, or 5-night exchange would cost the same, so don't consider those.]

We have found it fairly easy to trade into DVC SSR 1BRs with a flexible schedule and early OnGoing Searches (OGS) through RCI. Holiday weeks are generally out of the question, and you probably already know that it's not easy to get popular festival weeks in October, RunDisney weeks, or weeks during Spring Break - although may be possible. But that still leaves a lot of the year. :)
Yikes! Hadn't realized the 3/4 nights would have the same cost as the 7nights! Good to know! Thanks for the detailed analysis. Lots for us to think about!

JohnB3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
Dean and Lisa make important points to consider. I watch DVC inventory in RCI and one bedrooms are often available at SSR from a few day out up to 3 months out (right now there are a pile of them on RCI) but lately we rarely see anything else. If you can travel almost anytime as you say then I expect you to be able to use these points for disney. The challenge is Disney can change what and how they deposit anytime and you could end up not being able to use these points. The other thing I thought about, and i have no idea if its a concern for you, is disney has a block on trading orlando area resorts for disney inventory.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean and Lisa make important points to consider. I watch DVC inventory in RCI and one bedrooms are often available at SSR from a few day out up to 3 months out (right now there are a pile of them on RCI) but lately we rarely see anything else. If you can travel almost anytime as you say then I expect you to be able to use these points for disney. The challenge is Disney can change what and how they deposit anytime and you could end up not being able to use these points. The other thing I thought about, and i have no idea if its a concern for you, is disney has a block on trading orlando area resorts for disney inventory.
The regional block would not affect Wyndham points currently and would be unlikely to in the future.