• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Locked in a room for 3 days with an insane person

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you bribe him with a peace offering of some yummy homemade mini pies??? Just make sure he's not allergic to anything you put in them - he may accuse you of attempted murder!!

This is pretty funny. Reminds me of another thread from the past where Tuggers built on a fictional story, often pulling themes from other posts.

Not to minimalize the OP's issue--and I can relate to that.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
This particular committee is a standing committee. It always exists and it is the mechanism by which the task at hand gets completed. Everything must be consensus, no minority decision possible.

When I say insane, that is maybe not the most helpful descriptor. The fellow in question is very intelligent but socially awkward. He is arrogant and yet simultaneously insecure and the insecurity in turn makes him (extraordinarily) rude. He is also the kind of person who will not let something go. He will simply state that he has superior understanding of a given subject ththe everyone else, the common wisdom is just wrong. If the rest of us truly understood the material, we'd realize that too. That sort of thing.

I know the current committee chair kept him on the committee because of his intelligence, the prez. would not interfere with the committee chairs decision but would be expected to support it either way. The guy is indeed intelligent but frequently in an esoteric, impractical, minutia sort of way, which I personally am not impressed by. Part of the problem is that you do not realize how pathological this guy is until you are the go-to person. So I and the outgoing prez were on the receiving end of many truly bizarre emails and phone calls. "Why are you leaving me out of the decision making process, you are doing it wrong, and here's how you should do it!!!". Sorry, lunatic, here's the email string of 27 communications we had on this subject clearly documenting your involvement in the process. Or even better: here's the string on 7 desperate emails I sent you asking for the task you were supposed to complete. Why are there no emails from you?! Oh, yeah, because you never responded and I had to do your job for you and now you are complaining about the end result?! Seriously, it was your task to complete AND YOU DID NOT DO IT!

So I say this guy is insane because I think he truly believes most of this nonsense he spews. He THINKS no one involved him in the process and it seems to have no effect whatsoever when you send him evidence to the contrary. If you are the prez or the committee chair, you realize all of this is happening. If you are just on the committee, you don't really know.

The other thing that happens is that everyone just wants to get the job done and go home. No one wants to get into an endless and pointless argument
with Mr. Special. Since we much reach consensus, there is a limit to howmlong the reasonable people will sit in a room with 1 person refusing to let go of one item out of 200 until he gets his way. After 175 items are covered, you realize that eventually Mr. Special gets his way on everything because no everybody else realizes we have ground to cover and we need to move past this one item. If we don't get the job done during our meeting, we all must go home and work on it on our own. Which is a waste of time but preferable to arguing all weekend. The emails that happen later are easier to take somehow.

More than any of you wanted to know, I'm sure. It will amuse me to post about the specifics as the weekend evolves. And oh joy! I get to ride from the airport to the hotel in a shuttle with Mr. Special! One hour of togetherness!

H
It now sounds worse than an insane person, as then you must say he's ill. Sounds terrible. Wish I had any words on wisdom here, but I only have a cyberhug.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Heath, you must have some peace knowing you are not the only one who has dealt with this type of personality. I too have had to deal with a person with a personality disorder such that I truly thought he needed medication. I was President of the board of my professional association and he was Treasurer. A brilliant mind but totally bent on destroying the paid executive director and myself.

We finally caught him up in his own words where he did some very unsavory conjecturing and he resigned from the Board. He continued to be the association's member from hell and pestered future Presidents. Finally he resigned from the association. A glorious day when I learned the news.

My advice is to always take the high road, never lower yourself to his level and give him enough rope to hang himself. Best of luck.

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
An intersting sociological experiment I once did (with permission of all those involved) was to put a camera in the room and film everything.

Then, later, have everyone watch it.

Sometimes, this forces those like him to 'see' what he is doing and change or at least slow down.

Sounds doubtful that cameras would be allowed in your scenario, but the idea of it sometimes forces those to think about what they are doing.

You can certainly require that the film/memory card be erased immediately after viewing.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are working for Congress or the NBA.

Good luck.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
It honestly went fairly smoothly today.

I actually like Junior quite a bit, I knew him professionally but never worked with him before.

Mr. Special was "special" but not rude at all today. I think my no longer being committee chair has made a world of difference. Now he & I are equals on the committee and that seems to have resolved 75% of the problem. We will be digging much more deeply in to our task tomorrow, so it may get a little tougher. But heck, we are 33% of the way there, I grateful if it turns out even only this one day goes well.

H

geekette

Reaction score
I'm sooo glad to hear it!

I hope your dread over this thing turns out to be completely unwarranted.

GOOD LUCK!!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Ode to G'Damn Committee

Ok, so it was pretty bad. Still like Junior just fine, but Mr. Special- shall I just say, Hoo Doggy! But it is over now & I never have to be locked in a room with Mr. Special ever again, he rotates off committee. I was inspired by my experience to write a little poem, but have changed the committee name to protect the innocent.

Ode to G'Damn Committee

G'Damn committee, It's a pity

Working on the nitty gritty;

Beat me now with a rock

And stuff my body in a crock;

Run me over with a truck

Then from the wreck my body pluck;

Set my mangled bones ablaze

And burn the fire 7 days;

Then my ashes, sweep them up

And place them in a golden cup;

Take said chalice to the sty

And dump me out by and by;

Let the pigs root around

And eventually chomp me down.

A few days later, without a doubt

Those pigs they will sh*t me out.

Do all that & I'll still be giddy

As it got me off G'damn committee!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent, wonderful poem!

And tomorrow, presuming you are back at work, hug some purry kitties.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Great Poem

And glad you survived.

When all else fails, humor seems to save us. :)

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heath, my aren't you talented? I think you should send your poem to the committee! Good to hear the ending didn't involve murder!