• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Local Day Use--Northern San Diego area

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody - I just created an account because I had some questions about being in a great position for day use and want to see if there is anything I'm not thinking about.

I'm lucky enough to live in northern San Diego and there is an abundance of timeshares around. I'm looking to purchase one on the resale market here at TUG to take advantage of using the pool/gym on a regular basis with my family. When I look at the yearly maint fees for some locations it makes more sense to go down this route than joining a country club or pool club, plus I get the advantage of staying at the resort with my family for a week out of the year or using it to hosts friends/family when they come to visit. Has anybody else thought of this idea and are there specific questions I should pose to the resorts when I call them about day use? Since we live local we don't necessarily need to stay the full week at the resort when our time comes so how easy is it to sell the unused days or have the company do it? Just starting down this path to see what can happen so I appreciate any feedback!

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
I do know that Welk in Escondido offers owners day use. I don't know all of the questions you need to ask. But, the first one I would ask, if I were in your shoes, is if you buy on the resale market do you get day use privileges'.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Check out the Carlsbad Inn. Has day use (or it used to), and is part of Grand Pacific, so offers a great internal exchange system.

Dave

kckaren21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read the Hyatt Residence Club is acquiring Welk, so ask if that may affect day use!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Many of the Grand Pacific resorts have day use. I own Carlsbad Inn and Seapointe. We tend to day use more at Seapointe because we live in the La Costa area and it’s closer. The pool is better at Seapointe than Carlsbad Inn. The beach is better at Carlsbad Inn. The Oceanside resort has day use but there is not much to use there other than bikes perhaps.

I have some friends who own a float season Seapointe that they would love to give away. Their kids are grown and they don’t use it anymore.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another that has day use is Grand Pacific Palisades. You may want to walk around the properties before you buy to see where you prefer the pools/gyms. Grand Pacific Palisades the best pools, but I don't know how the gym compares to others.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Another that has day use is Grand Pacific Palisades. You may want to walk around the properties before you buy to see where you prefer the pools/gyms. Grand Pacific Palisades the best pools, but I don't know how the gym compares to others.
We purchased GPP for the day use. :)
Haven't been in a while ... but the gym was pretty fair (in a good way)! Not huge but there was always plenty of equipment, plenty of space, TVs, etc. Love that it included a sauna!

Note: GPP offers underground parking. You can park directly below the gym ... which also becomes your changing station when visiting for day use, checking out pool towels, etc.

If I get back to the coast ... I'll have to visit again. Hmm.

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased GPP for the day use. :)
Haven't been in a while ... but the gym was pretty fair (in a good way)! Not huge but there was always plenty of equipment, plenty of space, TVs, etc. Love that it included a sauna!

Note: GPP offers underground parking. You can park directly below the gym ... which also becomes your changing station when visiting for day use, checking out pool towels, etc.

If I get back to the coast ... I'll have to visit again. Hmm.

Thanks! GPP is at the top of our list right now because they do have a very nice pool and plenty of parking. Do you need to check with the front desk to get a parking pass to park below or can you just park and go straight up? Being Carlsbad, one of the priorities we are looking for is easy parking. I love Tamarack Beach Resort since it's across the street from the beach but from what I know is that you don't get parking unless you are staying there and trying to get a spot a block from the beach during a summer weekend is impossible.

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the Grand Pacific resorts have day use. I own Carlsbad Inn and Seapointe. We tend to day use more at Seapointe because we live in the La Costa area and it’s closer. The pool is better at Seapointe than Carlsbad Inn. The beach is better at Carlsbad Inn. The Oceanside resort has day use but there is not much to use there other than bikes perhaps.

I have some friends who own a float season Seapointe that they would love to give away. Their kids are grown and they don’t use it anymore.

What's the day-use parking policy with Carlsbad Inn? I know they have a shared underground lot with Fidels (Norte) and it can get a bit hectic down there during weekends.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Thanks! GPP is at the top of our list right now because they do have a very nice pool and plenty of parking. Do you need to check with the front desk to get a parking pass to park below or can you just park and go straight up? Being Carlsbad, one of the priorities we are looking for is easy parking. I love Tamarack Beach Resort since it's across the street from the beach but from what I know is that you don't get parking unless you are staying there and trying to get a spot a block from the beach during a summer weekend is impossible.
Sorry, I haven't been in ages. (I moved up to the San Diego mountain region ... and very rarely make it back to the coast.)
From past experience, parking was open (no fee; no check-in) but one did need to check-in for day-use wrist bands, changing room locker assignment, and pool towels. To my memory, this was done at the fitness center ... but may have moved since.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A question to ask in your research, if you wish to minimize costs: Does an every-other-year ownership provide Day Use during the off years?

To the best of my knowledge, GPP honors Day Use for all owners, all years, even if the ownership is only in odd or even years.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
What's the day-use parking policy with Carlsbad Inn? I know they have a shared underground lot with Fidels (Norte) and it can get a bit hectic down there during weekends.

It’s called “it depends.” During summer when the resort is full you probably won’t be able to park down there. I just ask the guard and if there is room, he lets me in. Sometimes I ride my motorcycle which gets me in every time. There are public lots only a couple of blocks away so it’s not bad.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Hi Hart99! I'm a long-time Welk owner and can answer some of your questions.

I'll start with the worst news first: Due to COVID-19, Day Use at Welk is temporarily suspended. I have no idea when this suspension will be lifted.

Now on to other aspects. I'll use past tense verbs because of the current suspension.
- Yes, resale owners got Day Use Privileges. Other than some discounts on food and golf, resale owners got all the privileges of Direct-Welk owners. The discounts were WAY not worth the additional cost to buy from the developer.
- Yes, the recent purchase of Welk by Marriott (to be branded as Hyatt Residence Club) may affect Day Use privileges. None of us know anything EXCEPT that they tell us there will be no changes for about two years. We'll see.
- There was (and is) a lot more to do at Welk than at the Carlsbad Inn. My mother has owned timeshares at both resorts, so I've been to both. Then again, if you want the beach, Carlsbad Inn is the better choice. There are four different pools at Welk. There are exercise classes and art classes that were available through with Day Use.
- Every-Other-Year owners got Day Use privileges.

Keep in mind that Welk is inland and no where near the beach. I personally don't enjoy the traffic and congestion at the beach (grew up here, so no big whoop for me,) and I find Welk to be a peace-filled get-away. But I also know that the beach is incredibly important to many people, and Welk will not meet the needs of those people.

If you have other questions about Welk, ask away!

hptravel01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, Elara
Grand Pacific Palisades
I am looking at Grand Pacific Palisades as well. I assume that the day pass is only offered to owners of that resort and not for other Grand Pacific properties. Is that correct?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I am looking at Grand Pacific Palisades as well. I assume that the day pass is only offered to owners of that resort and not for other Grand Pacific properties. Is that correct?

yes. Day use is only at your ownership resort.

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Hart99! I'm a long-time Welk owner and can answer some of your questions.

I'll start with the worst news first: Due to COVID-19, Day Use at Welk is temporarily suspended. I have no idea when this suspension will be lifted.

Now on to other aspects. I'll use past tense verbs because of the current suspension.
- Yes, resale owners got Day Use Privileges. Other than some discounts on food and golf, resale owners got all the privileges of Direct-Welk owners. The discounts were WAY not worth the additional cost to buy from the developer.
- Yes, the recent purchase of Welk by Marriott (to be branded as Hyatt Residence Club) may affect Day Use privileges. None of us know anything EXCEPT that they tell us there will be no changes for about two years. We'll see.
- There was (and is) a lot more to do at Welk than at the Carlsbad Inn. My mother has owned timeshares at both resorts, so I've been to both. Then again, if you want the beach, Carlsbad Inn is the better choice. There are four different pools at Welk. There are exercise classes and art classes that were available through with Day Use.
- Every-Other-Year owners got Day Use privileges.

Keep in mind that Welk is inland and no where near the beach. I personally don't enjoy the traffic and congestion at the beach (grew up here, so no big whoop for me,) and I find Welk to be a peace-filled get-away. But I also know that the beach is incredibly important to many people, and Welk will not meet the needs of those people.

If you have other questions about Welk, ask away!

Thanks for the input. I've stayed at Welk before and think it's great but looking for something closer to the coast. These are exactly some of the questions I'm looking to get answered though. I've reached out to GPP and Marbrisa and haven't really received any informative responses. I'm surprised their sales team hasn't pounced on me to do a pitch. Almost like walking onto a car lot and having to track down a salesman!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks for the input. I've stayed at Welk before and think it's great but looking for something closer to the coast. These are exactly some of the questions I'm looking to get answered though. I've reached out to GPP and Marbrisa and haven't really received any informative responses. I'm surprised their sales team hasn't pounced on me to do a pitch. Almost like walking onto a car lot and having to track down a salesman!

Just decide which resort you'll think you'll use most and buy one out of the Tug marketplace. The HGV MarBrisa units do not include day use unless you find an old deed that was sold prior to HGV.

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I understand wanting the actual, really-o, true-lio coast. I wish you well in your search.

Here's a low-key but well run resort: Sand Pebbles in Solana Beach. It's older and shows it, but if you're going to spend all day at the beach, who cares where you sleep? A two-bedroom with low maintenance fees is available through my favorite timeshare broker for only $3,000: http://www.calresorts.com/Sand-Pebbles.html

While this broker specializes in Welk resales, he does have some other California inventory. You can see what's available here:http://www.calresorts.com/SDTimeshare.html

Good luck!

Reaction score
OP, did you ever make a final decision? I find myself in the same boat now. I was going to purchase a Carlsbad Inn resale but wondering if there is anything better out there. I do know they started up day use again but you have to make a reservation beforehand and parking may not be included. The classes at welk sound like a nice offer. Nothing is close to me since I am inland so the best day-use amenities are what I am interested in for sure.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
FWIW Just stayed at Seapointe and an owner told me day use does NOT include parking but that they never had a problem with parking. (Didn’t clarify but assume they mean street or state park parking )

Hart99

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, did you ever make a final decision? I find myself in the same boat now. I was going to purchase a Carlsbad Inn resale but wondering if there is anything better out there. I do know they started up day use again but you have to make a reservation beforehand and parking may not be included. The classes at welk sound like a nice offer. Nothing is close to me since I am inland so the best day-use amenities are what I am interested in for sure.

Yes, I had my mind set on GPP so I waited until I found somebody basically giving it away. It's in closing now. All the staff there that I've spoken to said day-use is fairly normal and they've told me previously I can park underground and they usually give a key good for a month if you go enough times to save everybody the hassle of checking in with the desk all the time. I have friends that have units at both Tamarack Beach Resort and Carlsbad Inn and they've said it's great being next to the ocean but impossible to find parking in the summer unless they have their week reserved.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Yes, I had my mind set on GPP so I waited until I found somebody basically giving it away. It's in closing now. All the staff there that I've spoken to said day-use is fairly normal and they've told me previously I can park underground and they usually give a key good for a month if you go enough times to save everybody the hassle of checking in with the desk all the time. I have friends that have units at both Tamarack Beach Resort and Carlsbad Inn and they've said it's great being next to the ocean but impossible to find parking in the summer unless they have their week reserved.

Parking at the resort is difficult but the City of Carlsbad has several free lots only a block or two away.

Reaction score
Parking at the resort is difficult but the City of Carlsbad has several free lots only a block or two away.

Thanks, OP! I do want to be close to the beach so GPP would not work for me. I like Carlsbad Inn but it seems those summer weeks really are at a premium price. I tried to buy thru the resale at the Inn but I felt they just wanted to unload and did not really care what I wanted. They also said that now with the remodel they will enter a 3-day process which will increase prices. I don't know if it was true so I never mind. I am thinking maybe Seapoint EOY might be a good way to go instead. I actually want to use my summer week, not just day use. I live in SD and never go to the beach because it is such a pain. My hope is to make that easier with day use. But, I am not sure how parking would be at Seapointe for day use.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks, OP! I do want to be close to the beach so GPP would not work for me. I like Carlsbad Inn but it seems those summer weeks really are at a premium price. I tried to buy thru the resale at the Inn but I felt they just wanted to unload and did not really care what I wanted. They also said that now with the remodel they will enter a 3-day process which will increase prices. I don't know if it was true so I never mind. I am thinking maybe Seapoint EOY might be a good way to go instead. I actually want to use my summer week, not just day use. I live in SD and never go to the beach because it is such a pain. My hope is to make that easier with day use. But, I am not sure how parking would be at Seapointe for day use.

Parking at Seapointe is never an issue. I don’t even use the garage as there is a public street in front of Seapointe. I own at Carlsbad Inn and Seapointe.