• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Local Costco just installed self-serve checkout this week...

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
If there is a cashier lane without much of a line, I use that as my bit to promote cashier employment.
I also avoid using kiosks at McDonalds and movie theatre.

Using the self checkout and kiosks promotes the IT employees who develop those systems.

Harry

Brett

Reaction score
If there is a cashier lane without much of a line, I use that as my bit to promote cashier employment.
I also avoid using kiosks at McDonalds and movie theatre.

I'm guessing you also prefer gas stations with attendants that check the oil and clean the windshield when filling up

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm guessing you also prefer gas stations with attendants that check the oil and clean the windshield when filling up.

Sure would. I'd think that'd be swell.
I'd also like my phone to have a dial, not these fancy buttons.

And what's with these talking thermostats that think for themselves?
They should not act all uppity, as they're more than a thermostat.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure would. I'd think that'd be swell.
I'd also like my phone to have a dial, not these fancy buttons.

And what's with these talking thermostats that think for themselves?
They should not act all uppity, as they're more than a thermostat.
I assume you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. So, why have phones at all? Instead of going back the 20th century, go back to the 19th. No phones at all. Oh, and no electric or forced air gas heat. Get out and chop that wood and get rid of those uppity thermostats. The very nerve of them doing what you want them to. No cars, so you no longer have to pump your own gas or have anyone else do it for you. Walk you lazy bums!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I prefer a real person to these self service checkouts because it is keeping someone employed. Often you see retirees who need the extra income or work to keep busy.

Unfortunately less cashiers are available causing long lines thus steering you to the self serve checkout especially if you are in a rush. Now the businesses can say self service is popular, wanted, as so many are opting to use them.

Have you ever gone into a supermarket in the evening, not a cashier in site, only self service.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'm guessing you also prefer gas stations with attendants that check the oil and clean the windshield when filling up
Interesting that you mention this - not too long ago, we ventured to New Jersey for the first time and NJ requires fuel stations to have attendants who pump gas. I had not seen this in years...

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I assume you have your tongue firmly planted in your cheek. So, why have phones at all? Instead of going back the 20th century, go back to the 19th. No phones at all. Oh, and no electric or forced air gas heat. Get out and chop that wood and get rid of those uppity thermostats. The very nerve of them doing what you want them to. No cars, so you no longer have to pump your own gas or have anyone else do it for you. Walk you lazy bums!

That actually sounds quite appealing to me!
BUT, I would definitely NOT be living in the middle of the high radiation belt!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
..Have you ever gone into a supermarket in the evening, not a cashier in site, only self service.

Not that long ago, I would do some shopping in the overnight hours. At our local Wal Mart Neighborhood Market, Wal Mart and Kroger, it was not uncommon for the only lanes to be open at that time of the day to be self service. I assume someone in management made that decision in order to save some labor money but i suspect it was more than offset by loss at the point of sale.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting that you mention this - not too long ago, we ventured to New Jersey for the first time and NJ requires fuel stations to have attendants who pump gas. I had not seen this in years...
They still do that, huh? I worked in NJ for a couple of weeks about 20 years ago and it was state law then. I seem to remember the gas cost a lot more because of that. Does it now? I may be confusing it with some stations here in Alabama that used to have one island that had attendants and the gas at that island was about 30 cents higher than the self serve islands.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... NJ requires fuel stations to have attendants who pump gas...

Almost makes one want to move to NJ... almost.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That actually sounds quite appealing to me!
BUT, I would definitely NOT be living in the middle of the high radiation belt!
Careful about the law of unintended consequences. There would be no TUG because there would be no internet. Also, timesharing would be a lot more difficult, and for most I would think, less fun. First of all, you’d have to make your ressie via snail mail. That would take a while. And then, walking or taking a horse and carriage would make the commute a lot longer meaning less time to stay once you did get there. Oh, and if you’re going to a cold weather destination, who’s responsible for chopping the wood? I guess that would be a way to keep someone employed but wouldn’t that also increase maintenance fees?

No, thanks. I’ll take the progress and the bumps that come along with it. After all, what in the world would we all do without TUG?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Careful about the law of unintended consequences. There would be no TUG because there would be no internet. Also, timesharing would be a lot more difficult, and for most I would think, less fun. First of all, you’d have to make your ressie via snail mail. That would take a while. And then, walking or taking a horse and carriage would make the commute a lot longer meaning less time to stay once you did get there. Oh, and if you’re going to a cold weather destination, who’s responsible for chopping the wood? I guess that would be a way to keep someone employed but wouldn’t that also increase maintenance fees?

No, thanks. I’ll take the progress and the bumps that come along with it. After all, what in the world would we all do without TUG?

I think I feel this way, because this is where I'd prefer to be:

Attachments

• 20180703_150113 (1).jpg
    20180703_150113 (1).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 5

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

It's a New Jersey state law that Gas pumps can not be self service and MUST be served by a Gas Station employee. Only state in the nation where this exists.

Now, the gasoline on the New Jersey Turnpike is always cheap, so you still can get great service AND a cheap price. Any other toll road I have been on always has expensive gasoline (and usually self service).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Oregon also does not allow self pumping of gas. Patti loves this. Our prices are not higher than surrounding States.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
The best checkout method I’ve ever seen was in Rockville, MD back in 2011, I believe. My daughter was living there at the time and there was a grocery store that had price scanners in the grocery car area. If you wanted, you could use one to scan your groceries and then bag them as you shopped. When you finished,you just gave the cashier the scanner which would be used as the input to the checkout system. You would pay her,take your already bagged groceries and leave. I’ve never seen it anywhere else.

Harry
They have these systems at most British supermarkets too.

Our Costco sells milk in two one-gallon jugs, sealed in a cardboard box. Not only does it waste packaging, it weighs 16+ pounds. I can buy a single gallon at Sams.

Here in SoCal, our Monterey Jack cheese bricks come from Wisconsin, In Hawaii, last time I looked, they came from a dairy 25 miles from our home....

Ahh the mysteries.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Oregon has this as well. In fact you cannot pump your own gas there.

Brett

Reaction score
Oregon has this as well. In fact you cannot pump your own gas there.

right, like others have mentioned it's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey.
And some believe they have cheap gas because of the added cost of gas station attendants :rolleyes:
(apparently they don't travel to other states)

Brett

Reaction score
I prefer a real person to these self service checkouts because it is keeping someone employed. Often you see retirees who need the extra income or work to keep busy.

Unfortunately less cashiers are available causing long lines thus steering you to the self serve checkout especially if you are in a rush. Now the businesses can say self service is popular, wanted, as so many are opting to use them.

Have you ever gone into a supermarket in the evening, not a cashier in site, only self service.

yes, I have gone to a grocery store in the evening and there is not a cashier in sight, only self service
- - very fast and easy check out !!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just used self check at our local Costco. Less then 5min. Only sad thing was it wouldn’t take my Costco rewards check. I keep forgetting to use it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Uppity thermostats are the worst, LOL! ;)

More than once, I'd be talking to my echo "Alexa" in the LR and suddenly my thermostat joins in the conversation (it also answers to Alexa). I tried lecturing it about only being a thermostat, but that didn't help. I've also threatened my office Alexa with unplugging she didn't stop talking, and I did.

These "smart" devices seem to think they can be rude and irritating, without suffering any consequences.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I could just unplug my Alexa when she doesn't stop talking, LOL! She's even more uppity than the thermostat, the way that most 13 year old girls are.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Just went to our Salem Oregon Costco after return from our 3 week trip to Tasmania and Melbourne. They have installed 3 lines of self checkout. Two stations per line. They took out 3 regular check out lines to do this. I let Management know I disagree with this decision and that it is anti-employee. 3 lines of self checkout had 1 employee per line to help out. But 3 lines of regular check out lines normally employed 6 people.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just went to our Salem Oregon Costco after return from our 3 week trip to Tasmania and Melbourne. They have installed 3 lines of self checkout. Two stations per line. They took out 3 regular check out lines to do this. I let Management know I disagree with this decision and that it is anti-employee. 3 lines of self checkout had 1 employee per line to help out. But 3 lines of regular check out lines normally employed 6 people.

As a customer (and a stockholder) my concern is getting in and out of the store with as much ease and speed possible. Adding the self service doubles the actual check out ability and those six people can cut meat, cook chickens, shag shopping carts or stock shelves instead. It is not "anti-employee" but is a good, competitive business decision. Just look at their track record for expansion, growth and popularity. Don't you want to keep your membership costs under control?

On another note; I was recently reading that the the Cafe $1.50 deal (Hot Dog and a Soda) would continue, but effective sometime in March or April of 2020 that they would no longer offer the $1.50 price to persons who are not members. Maybe they will offer non members hot dogs at a higher price? This will be interesting to see how this plays out if and when they implement this.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As a customer (and a stockholder) my concern is getting in and out of the store with as much ease and speed possible. Adding the self service doubles the actual check out ability and those six people can cut meat, cook chickens, shag shopping carts or stock shelves instead. It is not "anti-employee" but is a good, competitive business decision. Just look at their track record for expansion, growth and popularity. Don't you want to keep your membership costs under control?

Actually, Front End Cashiers and Front End Assistants CAN'T do all those other jobs, unless they are hired into one of those positions in those departments. There are very specific job categories that aren't interchangeable. And if the particular location happens to be a unionized warehouse location, the restrictions are even more specific.

As to Self Check lanes, wait till you (or the person in front of you) have a problem or need assistance with something, and then tell us how convenient it is. Self Check customers have no reason to hurry along. But the regular Front End Cashiers are timed on how long they spend with a given member. It is literally tracked in seconds. If they are too slow, they are counseled about their performance. Three such counselings in a six-month period, and the cashier is taken off the register.

Costco tracks employee performance very closely. The guy at the door who checks your card coming in has a clicker in his hand, and he reports door counts every half hour. That tells management how many cashiers to have ready to step on to a register if needed. Self Check messes with those numbers in a big way. The result can be fewer available payroll hours for cashiers to work, which can reduce their paychecks. It's not a matter of "letting them work elsewhere" in the warehouse. They could be working themselves from full time down to part time, if there aren't enough hours available to schedule. And if the door counts are down, management starts cutting people loose early, and sending them home, which also reduces payroll hours and paycheck dollars earned. It is not a simple science.

I've been a Costco member in one form or another since 1982. (I started with Price Club, then Price-Costco, and then Costco.) My spouse has been a Costco Staffer for more than 25 years. There is a LOT of Costco talk in our household. And whenever the topic of Self Check comes up, it's a mixed bag of responses. Some people like it, some people hate it. At the end of the day, the members are the ones who will have the last word. In my experience, a qualified, fast Cashier who is focused on doing their job will get through the cart in front of me in a hurry. Then I can get my few things, and get out of there. Self Check lanes may seem faster, but when the member doesn't know where to scan their own items, it slows everything down. (The same thing happens at my local grocery store.)

What I wish Costco would install is an Express lane, for the people like me who only have one or two items at a time. That would be a time saver.

Dave

Last edited: