• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Links to Official State Timeshare Laws and Guides/Manuals

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
somehow i accidentally moved this to the bluegreen forum, ive put it back in BSR but im pretty sure it was posted in another forum instead as a sticky (perhaps newbies?) let me know so i can move it back to where it was before =)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, thanks for catching this error, This is one thread that needs to be saved.
IMHO.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Great work @Grammarhero I was considering picking up another timeshare in Nevada but this thread has convinced me not to buy there because of their consumer unfriendly laws. We already own a TS in Vegas that we may now sell and replace with one in an anti-deficiency state to trade or just rent.

On your point about Washington DC. There are two in Georgetown. HGVC The District and the Ritz Carlton Residences which are across the street from each other.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @TUGBrian
@DeniseM @SNA27 @cyntravel @SteelerGal

Here is most updated TS Official Laws table, which now adds information on DC timeshare laws, with 15 day rescission period! I stand corrected about DC not having any timeshares. I'm still working on the table with deficiency/statutes of limitations information.

Edited: I just uploaded a converted PDF version, which doesn't break links. I just realized that saving as PDF breaks the links.

Attachments

• Official TS Laws Table.3.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Grammarhero, thank you for all the time you spent on doing this. I am happy that you got the "Tug Lifetime Member", well deserved.

Not that I would ever go this route, my understanding that Vermont has no TS laws, so anyone in Vermont would have no recourse from the TS industry
should one get into financial difficulties. Is that correct????

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grammarhero, thank you for all the time you spent on doing this. I am happy that you got the "Tug Lifetime Member", well deserved.

Not that I would ever go this route, my understanding that Vermont has no TS laws, so anyone in Vermont would have no recourse from the TS industry
should one get into financial difficulties. Is that correct????
With financial difficulties for VT TS, I would say one would have "very little" recourse, as opposed to "no" recourse.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@TUGBrian @CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @COSkier1 @SNA27 @SteelerGal

This is the preliminary state TS Foreclosure/Deficiency/SOLs Laws Table, about 1/3 complete. Although 1/3 complete, I focused on noting states with any TS anti-deficiency treatment first. I note the following:
1) California, Florida, Maine, South Carolina, and Wisconsin provide anti-deficiency treatment for both defaulted MF and mortgages, although for the latter four states, one cannot object to a non-judicial foreclosure;
2) Colorado provides anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting MF (but not mortgage), and an objection may waive the anti-deficiency treatment;
3) Hawaii and Montana provide anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting mortgages (but not MF).
4) Illinois, Indiana, South Dakota, and Washington are permissive anti-deficiency states. IL, SD, and WA TS resorts may pursue: 1) non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures, or 2) judicial, deficiency foreclosures. Maybe if in IL, SD, and WA, the TS owner only owes MF and with lawsuits being expensive, TS resorts might agree to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures. IN only has judicial foreclosures.

I'm hoping to try to finish this Table this next weekend.

Attachments

• Prelim TS FC Deficiency SOL Laws Table.1.pdf
    246 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@TUGBrian @CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @COSkier1 @SNA27 @SteelerGal

This is the preliminary state TS Foreclosure/Deficiency/SOLs Laws Table, about 1/3 complete. Although 1/3 complete, I focused on noting states with any TS anti-deficiency treatment first. I note the following:
1) California, Florida, Maine, South Carolina, and Wisconsin provide anti-deficiency treatment for both defaulted MF and mortgages, although for the latter four states, one cannot object to a non-judicial foreclosure;
2) Colorado provides anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting MF (but not mortgage), and an objection may waive the anti-deficiency treatment;
3) Hawaii and Montana provide anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting mortgages (but not MF).
4) Illinois, Indiana, South Dakota, and Washington are permissive anti-deficiency states. IL, SD, and WA TS resorts may pursue: 1) non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures, or 2) judicial, deficiency foreclosures. Maybe if in IL, SD, and WA, the TS owner only owes MF and with lawsuits being expensive, TS resorts might agree to non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosures. IN only has judicial foreclosures.

I'm hoping to try to finish this Table this next weekend.

Thank you for your hard work and the summary. This is pure gold which will help many.

FWIW...this work demonstrates how lawyers can help consumers to advocate for themselves by being educated on their rights. It's good karma.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Attachments

• Prelim TS SOL Deficiency Laws Table.1.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @TUGBrian @DeniseM @cyntravel @SteelerGal @RX8 @andre10056 @Bailey#1
Apologies that this update took so long. Work, fam, TS vacations, and being really sick for two weeks kept me busy. Attached is the most recent table. I am giddy this thread has 5k views and shows up on a google search.

Yellow highlights reflect filled-in MF and mortgage SOL from the last table. This version also adds legal authorities, MF and mortgage statutes of limitations, whether there are separate or nonjudicial TS foreclosures, operative language, links to laws, and notes for: CT, DE, DC, GA, Iowa, KY, LA, MD, MA, and NM. I have sixteen (16) states remaining (all deficiency states) taking four (4) more hours, which should finish in two (2) weeks to one (1) month. This table is about 85 percent complete. By the end, I will have spent twenty-seven (27) hours on this table/research, so please be patient about mistakes.

Attachments

• Prelim TS SOL Deficiency Laws Table.2.pdf
    318.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Official TS Laws Table.3.pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @TUGBrian @DeniseM @cyntravel @SteelerGal @RX8 @andre10056 @Bailey#1
Apologies that this update took so long. Work, fam, TS vacations, and being really sick for two weeks kept me busy. Attached is the most recent table. I am giddy this thread has 5k views and shows up on a google search.

Yellow highlights reflect filled-in MF and mortgage SOL from the last table. This version also adds legal authorities, MF and mortgage statutes of limitations, whether there are separate or nonjudicial TS foreclosures, operative language, links to laws, and notes for: CT, DE, DC, GA, Iowa, KY, LA, MD, MA, and NM. I have sixteen (16) states remaining (all deficiency states) taking four (4) more hours, which should finish in two (2) weeks to one (1) month. This table is about 85 percent complete. By the end, I will have spent twenty-seven (27) hours on this table/research, so please be patient about mistakes.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for all the hard work. Sorry to hear you were sick. I hope you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
@CalGalTraveler @Fredflintstone @pedro47 @TUGBrian @DeniseM @cyntravel @SteelerGal @andre10056 @Bailey#1
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your patience. Work and fam kept me busy, so I didn’t work on the table as much as I wanted. This is the most recent table, about 2/3 complete. The yellow highlights reflect where I filled in the MF and mortgage SOL from the last table.
I cannot open files. Looking for specific info for a timeshare I own in NC. I live in SC. Title issue hopefully can be resolved but if not option is to stop paying mf. Seller took title and was suppose to take as trustee but it was transferred to her as an individual, then transferred to me from her. I got it for free with no title insurance. Bluegreen trying to fix as they agreed to take the week as it is high Demand, prime time.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I cannot open files. Looking for specific info for a timeshare I own in NC. I live in SC. Title issue hopefully can be resolved but if not option is to stop paying mf. Seller took title and was suppose to take as trustee but it was transferred to her as an individual, then transferred to me from her. I got it for free with no title insurance. Bluegreen trying to fix as they agreed to take the week as it is high Demand, prime time.
NC allows deficiency only for homes of primary residence.
Try downloading Adobe Reader or opening on a PC.
https://www.ncleg.gov/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_45/Article_2B.pdf

Operative language: “Deficiency judgments abolished where mortgage secured by primary residence.” N.C. Gen. Stats., Art. 2B, Sec. 45-21-38A

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you conclude that NC does not allow deficiency judgements for MFs or mortgages?
NC allows deficiency judgments for TS MF and mortgages, unfortunately.

pattelbert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Holiday Beach Resort
Thanks for the research, @Grammarhero. I believe that I might be the only person wondering about not paying maintenance on a TS in Mississippi - and from what I can see, they can put a lien on my stuff if I do just stop.

I'll write them and see what they offer to take it back. It was a gift (that keeps on giving) from my in-laws and now that we're retired, we won't do the TS life.

james4326

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Christi Lodge
I own paid for TS in Colorado, & live in Texas. I do not want to pay any more MFs. We've owned it for over 35 years and have enjoyed it, but now are too old to travel much. Would the TX or Co laws prevail in this situation. Also, what do you mean "Colorado provides anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting MF (but not mortgage), and an objection may waive the anti-deficiency treatment".

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own paid for TS in Colorado, & live in Texas. I do not want to pay any more MFs. We've owned it for over 35 years and have enjoyed it, but now are too old to travel much. Would the TX or Co laws prevail in this situation. Also, what do you mean "Colorado provides anti-deficiency treatment for defaulting MF (but not mortgage), and an objection may waive the anti-deficiency treatment".
I believe the CO laws prevail. If you do not object to the foreclosure, you’d get anti deficiency treatment. If you object, you’d get deficiency treatment.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Commonwealth of Virginia passed new timeshare laws recently and I really do not understand them.