• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Liberty Charleston - end contract/sell

signalvet

Reaction score
To all,
I have read through many threads and appreciate the helpfulness of this forum. We are just trying to find a place where we trust the advice vs being lied to by salespeople and getting a straight answer - which is why the post...

We bought into Liberty Charleston where we own 4 1br Platinum weeks at 9300 points a piece for a total of 37,200 points. Since we just bought (about 6 months ago) we own a significant amount on the loan - we paid over $7000 for 2021 for maintenance fees and paying around $4k a month on the loan.

The salesperson told us that we could rent one or two of the weeks to cover our costs - but I do not seen how we would rent 2 weeks to cover the $7K maintenance fee - let alone cover some of the loan amounts.

What are our best options of getting out of this contract/loan? I have seen some recommendations to contact Hilton and see if you can just give the deed back to them and walk away; or do a deed in lieu of foreclosure option; or tell Hilton you can't/won't pay any more on the loan and let them foreclose - risk is to your credit score. Mine right now is nearly perfect.

Is it worth anything? I know that this property is deeded as a "CLUB" in the Hilton system different from the other properties. Does this help me at all or not?

Thank you in advance for your candid advice --

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ooof. Thank you for sharing and know you're in the right place to get good, practical advice.

You can try to give them back to Hilton but since you owe money on the mortgage this will be an effective default and will it seriously impact your credit rating and you may be chased by debt collectors. I don't think Hilton will accept this action however given that you just purchased this 6 months ago. You can certainly try.

Another option is to actually try to rent out the weeks - I'm guessing but if you could get at least $1,500 a week for each which would put you almost paying off the maintenance fees every year. The problem here is still that you have the mortgage payments and you're not getting to use what you bought.

The last option, and probably the best is to figure out how to use the property or use the Hilton system to travel to places you would like to go. Hilton is very good system and most of the people here really get good value out of it.

Lastly, if you could pay off the mortgage in full, you could look at selling some of the weeks on the secondary market to reduce your maintenance fee outlays every year or even deeding them back to Hilton which they would probably be more agreeable to given that there's no more mortgage owing.

I'm sure others will have additional thoughts. Good luck with this situation.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Ooof. Thank you for sharing and know you're in the right place to get good, practical advice.

You can try to give them back to Hilton but since you owe money on the mortgage this will be an effective default and will it seriously impact your credit rating and you may be chased by debt collectors. I don't think Hilton will accept this action however given that you just purchased this 6 months ago. You can certainly try.

Another option is to actually try to rent out the weeks - I'm guessing but if you could get at least $1,500 a week for each which would put you almost paying off the maintenance fees every year. The problem here is still that you have the mortgage payments and you're not getting to use what you bought.

The last option, and probably the best is to figure out how to use the property or use the Hilton system to travel to places you would like to go. Hilton is very good system and most of the people here really get good value out of it.

Lastly, if you could pay off the mortgage in full, you could look at selling some of the weeks on the secondary market to reduce your maintenance fee outlays every year or even deeding them back to Hilton which they would probably be more agreeable to given that there's no more mortgage owing.

I'm sure others will have additional thoughts. Good luck with this situation.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This is exactly the advice I would give. Good Luck!

Magus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Elara, Paradise, The District, Kings Land; Craigendarroch Suites
Charleston is popular so it will have some resale value, especially a platinum week, but no where close to what you paid retail for and likely not what you still owe for your mortgage. The fact its a by hilton club provides some perks within the program, but not a lot of resale value, largely because the maintenance fees/point aren't as good as you can get in markets like Vegas or Hawaii. I picked up over 40k points for about $35k total on resale market with a lot lower MFs than you have - on the flip side that's a nice, brand new resort in a very popular tourist city you can get in prime time if you want to use it.

You may be able to cover your MF renting out 3 of them some years (no way with 1 or 2 weeks), but obviously still have your mortgage. No real way to get out of the loan without risking your credit score. If you decide to go that route, make sure you get mortgage/car loan before you do that. It's a good program so keeping it is an option if you can afford it, but obviously $55k/year is a lot of dough for 95%+ of the country ($4k/month on mortgage + 7k MFs)....might depend on how long the mortgage is for - 10 or more years - I'm not sure my credit score is worth $500k+.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi @signalvet and Welcome to TUG!

Some states such South Carolina have anti-deficiency, non-judicial foreclosure laws.
Take a look at these two threads.

Also be careful of timeshare scams

signalvet

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice and feedback -- I really appreciate this forum!!

TDub1313

Reaction score
I would start making speculative reservations for high demand weeks/weekends and get them on the rental market ASAP. 4th of July, Labor Day, Spring Break, etc. Do some research on other local events as well. Not sure if you pay the reservation fee or not, but if you don’t have to - go crazy and make as many as you can and keep trying to find renters.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So sorry you were sucked in. The salesperson lied to you, and I am sorry about that. What was the total purchase price? Are you paying this in full in a year, is that the deal? How many years did you finance this?

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would first try to give it back to Hilton and extinguish the debt. Best solution by far in my opinion. Good luck.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
  1. South Carolina – SC, inaction or non-objection results in non-judicial, anti-deficiency foreclosure, but objection leads to judicial, deficiency action: https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t27c032.php
Above is from the link that
alwysonvac
posted above. I believe this is the specific state in question

If you wind up deciding on ( or being effectively forced into) a foreclosure- a deficiency is what you want to avoid

Reaction score
We bought into Liberty Charleston where we own 4 1br Platinum weeks at 9300 points a piece for a total of 37,200 points. Since we just bought (about 6 months ago) we own a significant amount on the loan - we paid over $7000 for 2021 for maintenance fees and paying around $4k a month on the loan.

First of all, I am sorry to read this post and this is perhaps the MOST egregious example of any timeshare company taking advantage of a buyer and I actually love the HGVC family, but not like this.

Unfortunately, 37,200 points are worth less than $50,000 and $.19pp annual dues is not that great of a deal these days, so unless you love that location, I would immediately stop paying the loan and let go into default and contact a real estate lawyer (preferable in SC) to have them offer Hilton your "deed in lieu of foreclosure".

There is no positive way to spin this and it make me sad that salespeople are so aggressive in these days of tight finances.

This property does look like a beautiful resort, but online prices seem to be 1 bedroom = $350 per night on the Hilton website