• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've gotten very interested in watching Dr. Chatterjee's (UK) approach to instilling life changing habits to improve health.

I heard him on a recent Dr. Hyman podcast. https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/09/02/podcast-ep133/. He gave a simple suggestion of attaching a new "wannabe" habit to one that already exists, like making coffee. I have put my hand weights in the kitchen and now while my coffee is brewing/draining I do a routine of stretches, weights, squats and countertop push offs. He has a video to demonstrate some kitchen exercises: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...e-shows-easy-five-minute-workout-kitchen.html

Searching for more info about him I found he had a docuseries on BBC "Doctor in the House". We've watched all 7 episodes on YouTube. Here's a start:

If you do watch these and want to see an update on Nicola (fibromyalgia patient) she was on one of his podcasts 3 years after the show: https://drchatterjee.com/what-chronic-illness-taught-me-with-nicola-singleton/

With regard to Panini's recent heart episode. . . I've had extra electrical pathways for most of my life. Had an ablation years ago. Maybe it helped but I'm not sure as I still get the occasional racing heartbeat. It's especially apparent if I haven't slept well, dehydrated, stressed. While listening to a Dr. Chatterjee podcast this other doctor talks about how he has dealt with it: https://drchatterjee.com/episode-4-food-medicine-dr-rupy-aujla/. He starts the discussion around 9:46 into the podcast.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We've gotten very interested in watching Dr. Chatterjee's (UK) approach to instilling life changing habits to improve health.

I heard him on a recent Dr. Hyman podcast. https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/09/02/podcast-ep133/. He gave a simple suggestion of attaching a new "wannabe" habit to one that already exists, like making coffee. I have put my hand weights in the kitchen and now while my coffee is brewing/draining I do a routine of stretches, weights, squats and countertop push offs. He has a video to demonstrate some kitchen exercises: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...e-shows-easy-five-minute-workout-kitchen.html
Maybe it's a British thing? There was a woman on the Great British Bake Off (Val, I think) who walked in place while she was baking. It was a bit of a topic of discussion on the show.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Jack LaLanne always had exercises for moms to get some movement in during the day without taking a lot of time. My mom watched him and did some of the exercises while we were playing.

In the book, Dr. A's Habits of Health, Dr. Andersen talks a great deal about movement and even standing while on the phone to keep that from being a sit-down activity. Lots of tips.

I am hoping to maintain my loss for the next year, going to be very cautious and mindful of what I eat, and if I do that, I will be okay for the rest of my life.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Jack LaLanne always had exercises for moms to get some movement in during the day without taking a lot of time. My mom watched him and did some of the exercises while we were playing.

In the book, Dr. A's Habits of Health, Dr. Andersen talks a great deal about movement and even standing while on the phone to keep that from being a sit-down activity. Lots of tips.

I am hoping to maintain my loss for the next year, going to be very cautious and mindful of what I eat, and if I do that, I will be okay for the rest of my life.
After 46 pounds off this year I wanted to try and maintain the weight a few weeks before losing more. Twofold to learn how to and to give my skin time to catch up. This week did the plan and added another fuel, protein and veggie each day. I figured that was around 400-500 calories. This week went up 1/2 lb. My first week not losing. No doubt it is water weight gain as yesterday was a salty day, salmon, cheese and pickles. Yum. I am happy how I look and now, much less then I weigh according to my doctor but do want to lose more, that internal fat.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Searching for more info about him I found he had a docuseries on BBC "Doctor in the House". We've watched all 7 episodes on YouTube. Here's a start:

If you do watch these and want to see an update on Nicola (fibromyalgia patient) she was on one of his podcasts 3 years after the show: https://drchatterjee.com/what-chronic-illness-taught-me-with-nicola-singleton/

With regard to Panini's recent heart episode. . . I've had extra electrical pathways for most of my life. Had an ablation years ago. Maybe it helped but I'm not sure as I still get the occasional racing heartbeat. It's especially apparent if I haven't slept well, dehydrated, stressed. While listening to a Dr. Chatterjee podcast this other doctor talks about how he has dealt with it: https://drchatterjee.com/episode-4-food-medicine-dr-rupy-aujla/. He starts the discussion around 9:46 into the podcast.
I do believe stress and not enough sleep was part of the culprit of my heart episode. Then the medicine my body didn’t like put me over the edge. Also I had stopped taking my vitamin b12 as my last blood test showed it was slightly elevated, doctors orders. What she didn’t take into affect was I had just taken it before the blood test so it would be elevated. I was off it about 2 weeks when I notice my old sluggish symptoms were coming back. Low b12 can cause a fast heart rate. I am now taking it again and it makes a huge difference in me how I feel.

I am so busy now with the move. I will watch the dr. once settled. I am sure I will learn a bit.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

The first time I lost weight I kept it off for several years. But I wasn't "okay". A bunch of stuff happened and I started gaining it back. Gained it all, plus more. The second time around (after a few years of being overweight) I lost more slowly, got to a more maintainable weight and I've kept it off for 18 years now.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The first time I lost weight I kept it off for several years. But I wasn't "okay". A bunch of stuff happened and I started gaining it back. Gained it all, plus more. The second time around (after a few years of being overweight) I lost more slowly, got to a more maintainable weight and I've kept it off for 18 years now.
Yay! Success! This is going to be me. I have yo-yo dieted for years. At 65, this is my last "diet."

I know what I have to do. Eating six small meals a day is very easy for me. I don't think I can ever eat ice cream or sugary snacks again, but I feel SO GOOD that I do not care. I love the way I feel. I haven't loved the way I feel for 30 years. This is a game changer for me. I love Optavia and the reading I am doing. I know my prayers have been answered with this program. God delivered me a miracle, and I am so grateful.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do believe stress and not enough sleep was part of the culprit of my heart episode. Then the medicine my body didn’t like put me over the edge. Also I had stopped taking my vitamin b12 as my last blood test showed it was slightly elevated, doctors orders. What she didn’t take into affect was I had just taken it before the blood test so it would be elevated. I was off it about 2 weeks when I notice my old sluggish symptoms were coming back. Low b12 can cause a fast heart rate. I am now taking it again and it makes a huge difference in me how I feel.

I am so busy now with the move. I will watch the dr. once settled. I am sure I will learn a bit.

That’s interesting because I’ve also been prescribed B12 shots. Gotta confess that I’m not regular taking my supplements. I give the B12 injections to myself and it took me months to get my head around that.
I think supplement routines work synergetic with each other. I’m not good “reading” my body reactions when they’re good but I’m really good at noticing the bad reactions. So when they’re good I don’t make the connection between taking a supplement and having a good day.

I’ll try to be more aware.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s interesting because I’ve also been prescribed B12 shots. Gotta confess that I’m not regular taking my supplements. I give the B12 injections to myself and it took me months to get my head around that.
I think supplement routines work synergetic with each other. I’m not good “reading” my body reactions when they’re good but I’m really good at noticing the bad reactions. So when they’re good I don’t make the connection between taking a supplement and having a good day.

I’ll try to be more aware.
The brand integrative Therapeutics b-12 active cherry flavored chewable tables have been great for me. I let them slowly dissolve under my tongue. A natural doctor told me about them years ago.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found Dr. A’s book on hoopla. Now i can compare his plan with what I’ve been reading and listening to from Dr. Hyman and Chatterjee’s websites

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Started keto diet when I got back from Orlando and packed on the poolside beer and bbq Weight. I haven’t had access to a gym since Mine is still closed in NYC. I’m down 24 pounds. Hoping to start some at home stuff on Monday (been extremely lazy). If I can do another. 20 by November I’ll be at my lowest in 10 years.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found Dr. A’s book on hoopla. Now i can compare his plan with what I’ve been reading and listening to from Dr. Hyman and Chatterjee’s websites

We went for a long walk. Im now into chapter 5 (1:40 mins of 6 hr. book) and so far he’s gone over what’s wrong with our “sick care” medical system. Same news as other docs. Im still waiting to get to his “lifestyle plan”.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We went for a long walk. Im now into chapter 5 (1:40 mins of 6 hr. book) and so far he’s gone over what’s wrong with our “sick care” medical system. Same news as other docs. Im still waiting to get to his “lifestyle plan”.
Dr. A's Habits of Health? Or another one?

The key is eating six times a day, keeping the body fueled constantly. It's about the biggest difference I see in this program vs. the others.

I have a friend who is eating only one meal a day to lose weight. I told her to eat six times a day, small meals of 100 calories for at least four of them. She looked at me like I lost my mind.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dr. A's Habits of Health? Or another one?

The key is eating six times a day, keeping the body fueled constantly. It's about the biggest difference I see in this program vs. the others.

I have a friend who is eating only one meal a day to lose weight. I told her to eat six times a day, small meals of 100 calories for at least four of them. She looked at me like I lost my mind.

I believe it was written before Optiva. discover you Optimal Health (2002).

It's the talk in this thread about calories. I want to find out how he incorporates calorie counting into his program. I'm now 2:30 into the book. The beginning has multiple questionnaires for someone to assess why they want to start and their stage of health. I wouldn't have done well with it because I loathe questionnaires. He made me lol when he talked about weight loss gimmicks. He talks about habits and that resonates with me.

It's been a year into my new lifestyle so I'm past that. My reason for starting a new lifestyle was to find out what to eat if grains and sugar weren't options. I didn't realize it would be a lifestyle change when I began. I thought it was a merely matter of finding recipes that were appealing. Finding Dr. Hyman led me to podcasts that changed many things in my lifestyle. Changing our meal structure began by finding one recipe that felt really good. That gave us the incentive to go for more. Weight loss was a delightful side effect.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten to chapter 10 (2:40 into book). He’s talking about kitchen redo. Some things he suggests are to get rid of full fat foods. Eat lean meats. Sugar free jello. These are things i don't do.

Some of the things he suggests are things i do. Like eat more veggies and get rid of nutritionally empty processed foods.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m back with the book tonight. I no sooner get into it before I find a correlation to a podcast I listened to today. Dr. Chatterjee interviewing Peter Crone.

Towards the end of the podcast they get into weight loss. Dr. A calls it “mindfulness” when making healthful choices to take care of yourself. Peter Crone has you think of yourself as a child you would care for.

The beginning of the podcast really related to another Lounge thread and difficult family relationships.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finished the book last night. I've wondered how Dr. A's plan differs from what I found as a new lifestyle.

Simply put it's the calorie counting, lack of low fat foods and limiting processed foods. I can't say I eliminate all processed foods because the chocolate bars I eat are processed, the Jovial pasta is processed, the Simple Mills brownie and cake mixes are processed and on and on. One thing I don't eat anymore is premixed yogurt that is low fat or contains fruit. Too many carbs for too few ounces. I eat full fat plain yogurt and mix in my own fruit and sweetener.

Dr. A's lifestyle changes beyond the food are similar to the ones I've listened to many times through podcasts. Those podcasts have been my coaches. Meditation, mindfulness, exercise, breathing, community, encouragement, fasting.

Dr. A's program is like the slogan of one of our local grocery stores. . . "One stop shopping". He includes it all.

Of course all the real food is the same. The pattern of timing is different. Dr. A advocates 6 meals including the 100-200 calorie snacks. I adopted the pattern advocated by Trim Healthy Mama. They advocate 3 hours between meals on the premise that it takes about 3 hours to use up the fuel of a meal. This is called intermittent fasting. THM has 2 primary meal structures, one that is higher in fat (S which stands for satisfying) and another that is higher in carb (E which stands for energizing). When they're mixed they're called crossovers. While I followed that plan most of my meals were crossovers or S because those held me best for 3 hours. E meals seemed to make me hungry. I'm hypoglycemic. DH can have a bowl of oatmeal and it doesn't make him hungry. The hunger makes me think about food. I have to think and plan for meals but during the 3 hours of a high fat meal I don't seem to constantly think about food and when I finally do I look at the clock and notice it's approaching 3-4 hours after my last meal. Smoothies only seem to last a couple hours. I'm going to try adding a Tbsp. of oil to them to see how that changes. Either MCT, coconut cream or olive oil. I have to be careful with 1 Tbsp. of MCT. Too much gives me funny head feeling.

Another term I've learned over the year is "time restricted eating". Eating occurs within a window of 10-12 hours. That leaves a window of 12-14 hours of fasting. Mainly while sleeping. It's 10:30 a.m. and I've had coffee with collagen. I'm hungry! Eggs this morning. That means I'll be done roughly 8 p.m. tonight which is normal since we go to bed 10ish.

In summary I tell friends all I count is time. Over the year we have tweaked our repertoire of go to meals. DH recently said he wanted to increase his "go to" recipes so he got into my collection from nutritional cooking classes I've taken at a nearby hospital. Made a wonderful fish dinner. I pulled a THM cookbook from the shelf this morning to look for something new.

In October I'll have a 2nd blood drawn since starting my year of change. I'm very curious to chat with the doctor about the amount of fat we're eating and see the results of the tests.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Imo there are so many lose weight plans that for some that could be the problem. They follow each exactly, it becomes too restrictive, they go off and the cycle is repeated over and over looking for the magic formula.

It really comes down to finding a plan that you can tweak within reason and live with that works for you.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Imo there are so many lose weight plans that for some that could be the problem. They follow each exactly, it becomes too restrictive, they go off and the cycle is repeated over and over looking for the magic formula.

It really comes down to finding a plan that you can tweak within reason and live with that works for you.

That seems right. I tried so many and failed at all.

BTW... picked chicken fried rice for dinner

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This was always me. Just grabbing my fuelings every couple of hours is easy enough to keep me going until goal. The ease of the program made me stick with it.

I am at goal, actually, and I am thinking of going down another 10 pounds to get to that lower body fat. I am unsure, however, because I feel so good where I am. I am definitely hesitant to move to different foods for my fuelings. I put off my next order and will hopefully not even follow through with that one. I really am not wanting to continue with the precribed foods. I am tired of the bars, especially after trying the Built Bars, and I am disappointed that the pancake is no longer an option. I bought Birch Benders pancake mix to use after my three boxes are gone.

I do worry that I am going to be unprepared with foods on the list in the book. I am so used to grabbing something from the cupboard.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This was always me. Just grabbing my fuelings every couple of hours is easy enough to keep me going until goal. The ease of the program made me stick with it.

I am at goal, actually, and I am thinking of going down another 10 pounds to get to that lower body fat. I am unsure, however, because I feel so good where I am. I am definitely hesitant to move to different foods for my fuelings. I put off my next order and will hopefully not even follow through with that one. I really am not wanting to continue with the precribed foods. I am tired of the bars, especially after trying the Built Bars, and I am disappointed that the pancake is no longer an option. I bought Birch Benders pancake mix to use after my three boxes are gone.

I do worry that I am going to be unprepared with foods on the list in the book. I am so used to grabbing something from the cupboard.
Congratulation on getting to goal. You can try maintenance and then later decide if you want to lose more.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Started keto diet when I got back from Orlando and packed on the poolside beer and bbq Weight. I haven’t had access to a gym since Mine is still closed in NYC. I’m down 24 pounds. Hoping to start some at home stuff on Monday (been extremely lazy). If I can do another. 20 by November I’ll be at my lowest in 10 years.
Rick can lose weight on Keto. He and I did the diet together, and I lost 12 pounds, he lost so much weight, the doctor said he was under what he should be. I was so jealous. I can lose a little on Keto, but then I get to a plateau and don't stick with it. I am really awful at following something that requires me to find stuff in the refrigerator to fix. That has always been me.

My lean and green on this program has gone from the ordinary stuff I did on Keto, to more elaborate meals. My Keto ordinary meal was slices of roast beef and salad. Now I cook more. I love the recipes found on our FB page for Optavia. I also bought some recipes from foodiqueen.com. Michelle Gray has some great recipes for the Optavia program, but she will not call it Optavia because we are not allowed to say the name "out there" on the net and agree to that when we sign up, but it hasn't stopped me from talking about it on TUG.

When I announced on FB that I was doing Optavia, my coach's coach got very upset and unfriended me on FB. That was just stupid. I have less than 100 friends, and I was just bragging up the program. I admit that I should not say Optavia on the net. Optavia is a bad word. :rolleyes:

The sour cream beef recipe I recently bought in packet B, OMG! Rick and my stepdad really enjoyed that one, too, so I will make it next week again. It was really good. Lots of recipes have things I wouldn't have on hand, but that one was just perfect for what I always have available to cook.

Tonight, I will be having a stuffed pepper skillet made with canned tomatoes, cauliflower rice, lean ground beef, and bell peppers. I love that one and will have leftovers a couple of times this week. Cauliflower rice is sold in packets in boxes at Costco, so not even frozen, so I love that option.

My favorite meal is cauliflower crust pizza. It's my go-to meal. It would work great for Keto. I use 2 C of riced cauliflower, an egg, and about 1 C of mozzarella cheese. Press half of that mixture into a pan on parchment paper and bake the crust for about 8 minutes. Then I turn the crust and bake another 5-6 minutes. I actually use my air fryer. I eat one right away and freeze the other crust.

I top with about four turkey pepperoni, a couple of ounces of cheese, some chopped bell pepper and mushrooms, bake for another 5 minutes. The temperature on my airfryer is 375 degrees for baking the crust and the pizza. I love that meal. I feel like I am cheating. I cannot have salad with the meal. That is the only negative thing. I love salad with pizza, but the pizza alone is a full lean and green (green is 1.5 C of vegetables and lean is 5 ounces of meat and cheese).

I also love shrimp with salad. Seven ounces of shrimp (leanest), which is a lot, thawed from frozen and a little cocktail sauce. I love that one too.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
After egg, kale, onion, garlic breakfast I walked to church garden (50 mins.). DH was already there with friend. We all chatted and DH helped me harvest. I had a brief thought about lunch as we were pulling onto the driveway. Looked at the clock and it was 3 hours from the breakfast.

I'm experimenting with a smoothie. I put about Tbsp. coconut manna in it to see if it will stick with me longer than 2 hours.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After egg, kale, onion, garlic breakfast I walked to church garden (50 mins.). DH was already there with friend. We all chatted and DH helped me harvest. I had a brief thought about lunch as we were pulling onto the driveway. Looked at the clock and it was 3 hours from the breakfast.

I'm experimenting with a smoothie. I put about Tbsp. coconut manna in it to see if it will stick with me longer than 2 hours.
Keep a protein bar in your purse, so you don't get the hungries while out and about. Pure Protein bars are supposed to be good but lots of calories in those. I used to like the Atkins bars, too.

Built Bars (130 calories) melt in the heat, but when refrigerated, the creamy insides get too hard. It's rather like a marshmallow filling and really is chewy when cool. I don't mind the chewy bar. Freeze it and then pop it in your purse. Love those bars, but they are about $1.80 each, so not cheap.