• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I am glad you liked the book. So simple but so profound.

I am hoping more will join in this thread even if their journey isn’t what they think is successful at this point.

I have found that almost everyone I know is struggling now, not losing, gaining weight and not exercising. Hard enough when things are good, understandable how hard now with what is happening.

I have many downs and ups. Just last night I had food calling my name. Nothing to grab in my house that is a trigger food but I had 4 persimmons. I used them as my drug of choice. Yes persimmons are a fruit but I ate them all In one sitting. Why? Because, just because. I have always been told no one gets fat eating fruit and vegetables. I can, so that statement is not true. If 4 more were in my home I would have eaten them. If there were cookies or ice cream in my house I would have eaten those first.

All I know is today is a new day. No beating myself up and will try not to binge on anything. That is my key, not to be embarrassed that it happened, still participating in this thread and just to mentally keep trying to eat healthier and exercise.

With all going on now I wish my weight was at a healthier number to reduce my risk factor. I will just keep trying even when I fall off because it still puts me in the right direction.
I love persimmons too but I got none at home. I fell of the wagon yesterday so to speak, had 2 Jammy Wheels / Linzer cookies (90 calories each), 1 bag of Skinny Pop (100 calories) and 3 pieces of my favorite Baci Hazelnut (250 calories total). My lunch and dinner were light and that was my excuse. We had a really strenuous walk yesterday morning up the mountain and part of it was unpaved road where they are building a Del Webb. I felt pretty good yesterday and slept like a baby. My weight is slowly "inching" down.

My BMI is 21.6 but I feel healthiest between 19 and 20. BMI 20 is my goal which is 10 lbs lighter than where I am.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I love persimmons too but I got none at home. I fell of the wagon yesterday so to speak, had 2 Jammy Wheels / Linzer cookies (90 calories each), 1 bag of Skinny Pop (100 calories) and 3 pieces of my favorite Baci Hazelnut (250 calories total). My lunch and dinner were light and that was my excuse. We had a really strenuous walk yesterday morning up the mountain and part of it was unpaved road where they are building a Del Webb. I felt pretty good yesterday and slept like a baby. My weight is slowly "inching" down.

My BMI is 21.6 but I feel healthiest between 19 and 20. BMI 20 is my goal which is 10 lbs lighter than where I am.

Wow, 19-20 is a really low BMI. I had a 20 BMI for many years and I was very thin and could fit into size 0 and 2. I still have all my "skinny" clothes and secretly hope I might fit into them again one day. I am not shooting to be that thin again, unless I get to goal weight and want to keep trying. Some of my skinny jeans are really cute.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, 19-20 is a really low BMI. I had a 20 BMI for many years and I was very thin and could fit into size 0 and 2. I still have all my "skinny" clothes and secretly hope I might fit into them again one day. I am not shooting to be that thin again, unless I get to goal weight and want to keep trying. Some of my skinny jeans are really cute.
When I was about 18-19 BMI I fit into 0 and 2 for my pants. Yes, skinny jeans are reeeeally cute and I still have a couple of them but I don't think I will be able to get back into them anytime soon. I still wear size 4 pants but some of them are a little tight. I would like to go back to a 2 or a loose 4. I wear M for my tops and some of them are now a little tight. I used to wear S when my BMI was 18. For me it is more about whether I feel healthy rather than the number on the scale. I feel healthiest when my BMI is 19-20.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
When I was about 18-19 BMI I fit into 0 and 2 for my pants. Yes, skinny jeans are reeeeally cute and I still have a couple of them but I don't think I will be able to get back into them anytime soon. I still wear size 4 pants but some of them are a little tight. I would like to go back to a 2 or a loose 4. I wear M for my tops and some of them are now a little tight. I used to wear S when my BMI was 18.

I am surprised that with a 21ish BMI, that medium is tight on you and that size 4 is tight. I wear a size 6-8 and medium for shirts at my current BMI of 24.8. I would like to be at a size 4. At 21-22 BMI, I can wear size 4. I have a bunch of really cute dresses that I have never worn but they are size 2. I do not think I will get there again. Although some are stretchy so maybe. I must admit, like you, I felt terrific at a 20 BMI but I had to eat so light to maintain it. It might be more realistic to be a little heavier and not have to be so restrictive with food. BTW, you probably know this but BMI of 18.5 is underweight. Some women are naturally thin and have small bones and that would be okay. I have an employee in my office who can eat all she wants and I am sure her BMI is in the 18-19 range at most. For her, it is normal. She eats bacon, eggs and hash browns when we go out to breakfast and big lunches and dinners and she is extremely slender and looks great. I am guessing she might even be a 00. But in general, when someone gets to 18.5, it can sound the alarms at the doctor. Also, being too thin is a risk factor for other health issues. I read a while back that when you are older, it is better to have a little extra weight in case you get very sick so you can afford to lose weight. Like God forbid you get cancer or Covid and lose a lot of weight. If you are a 20-21, then you at least have a buffer zone in the event of a severe illness.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have learned the foods that call my name can’t be in my house.

I tried a few times to have 100% fruit leather, cookies, chips and ice cream and I ate it all, right away.

I find I am ok having pistachio nuts and very dark chocolate in the house. To get my ice cream craving I use fruit in my Yonana machine.
I'm not technically participating in this thread although you may remember that I am trying to support my husband by preparing low calorie food. He's not doing too well but that's his issue, not mine so that's all I am going to say about that. :) He has cut back on beer to only one per day so that's a positive step as we all know that beer is just liquid bread. ;)

That said, I cannot even go down the aisle in the store that has potato chips. If they wind up in my cart, they wind up in my stomach. I will eat any size bag of chips from top to bottom in one sitting. I know it. So I just have to skip that aisle. For salty food, I make homemade popcorn - I eat all of that too but I can easily control that portion. I just make less. Sweets aren't really my issue, but those little cutie oranges will satisfy my sweet tooth every time, even when I don't think so.

Btw, I think that this recipe is probably pretty low calorie, but you wouldn't know it from the taste. It is delicious. I made it on Monday and realized that I didn't have any cabbage (and I use green in this recipe). So I skipped it and just put this salad on a bed of mixed greens and really enjoyed it that way. I just added celery to replace the crunch of the cabbage and it was perfect. https://cookieandkate.com/thai-peanut-quinoa-salad-recipe/

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that with a 21ish BMI, that medium is tight on you and that size 4 is tight. I wear a size 6-8 and medium for shirts at my current BMI of 24.8. I would like to be at a size 4. At 21-22 BMI, I can wear size 4. I have a bunch of really cute dresses that I have never worn but they are size 2. I do not think I will get there again. Although some are stretchy so maybe. I must admit, like you, I felt terrific at a 20 BMI but I had to eat so light to maintain it. It might be more realistic to be a little heavier and not have to be so restrictive with food. BTW, you probably know this but BMI of 18.5 is underweight. Some women are naturally thin and have small bones and that would be okay. I have an employee in my office who can eat all she wants and I am sure her BMI is in the 18-19 range at most. For her, it is normal. She eats bacon, eggs and hash browns when we go out to breakfast and big lunches and dinners and she is extremely slender and looks great. I am guessing she might even be a 00. But in general, when someone gets to 18.5, it can sound the alarms at the doctor. Also, being too thin is a risk factor for other health issues. I read a while back that when you are older, it is better to have a little extra weight in case you get very sick so you can afford to lose weight. Like God forbid you get cancer or Covid and lose a lot of weight. If you are a 20-21, then you at least have a buffer zone in the event of a severe illness.
Absolutely agree with what you have posted about needing to be a little heavier when we are older. I am 5 ft 7 inches and really want to get back to about 125 to 128 lbs and I am now at 138 lbs. I do have hypertension which is genetic because everyone in my family had/has it. The more I exercise and the lighter I am the better the numbers and hence I strive to lose some weight and get in regular aerobic exercise.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina You are actually at a very healthy weight right now for your height. The rule of thumb is for every inch over 5', add 5 pounds. So 135 is close to your ideal weight. At 135, your BMI is 21. I think 21ish is the perfect BMI. At 125, you would be a bit slim with a BMI slightly under 20. I can totally understand wanting to be on the lower end but you have to ask yourself if it is worth the struggle if your current weight is already smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI range for your height. Just trying to offer some encouragement and let you know that it sounds like you are perfect just as you are! :love:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
@Panina You are actually at a very healthy weight right now for your height. The rule of thumb is for every inch over 5', add 5 pounds. So 135 is close to your ideal weight. At 135, your BMI is 21. I think 21ish is the perfect BMI. At 125, you would be a bit slim with a BMI slightly under 20. I can totally understand wanting to be on the lower end but you have to ask yourself if it is worth the struggle if your current weight is already smack dab in the middle of the healthy BMI range for your height. Just trying to offer some encouragement and let you know that it sounds like you are perfect just as you are! :love:
I'm 5"7". If I weighed 135 I would look emaciated. In fact I did get down that low quite a few years back and for me I was too thin....and I couldn't maintain that weight. I may weigh a few more pounds than I'd like to, but I've been able to maintain right around this weight for almost 18 years.

I thought I'd heard that that rule of thumb had kind of been debunked, or maybe I just hoped it had.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You got the wrong person. Wish I was.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Dh made chocolate chip cookies today. Do I shoot him or what?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops...sorry about that. I got confused with who was posting.
LOL You were replying to me. So are you saying start at 100 lbs for 5 ft and add 5 lbs for every inch? I have not heard of that.

Yes, my PCP said no need to lose weight and he said I am at equilibrium because my weight fluctuates within 5 lbs whenever I get weighed at his office.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Dh made chocolate chip cookies today. Do I shoot him or what?
Yep. :ROFLMAO:

I get to eat a brownie every night on Optavia. It's okay, but I would love the Ghrardelli brownies Rick makes all of the time for him and my stepdad.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I get to eat a brownie every night on Optavia. It's okay, but I would love the Ghrardelli brownies Rick makes all of the time for him and my stepdad.
If I could stop with one cookie I'd be fine. But having one triggers the "need/want" for another. So I'm better off just not starting. I know what my triggers are.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I'm not technically participating in this thread although you may remember that I am trying to support my husband by preparing low calorie food. He's not doing too well but that's his issue, not mine so that's all I am going to say about that. :) He has cut back on beer to only one per day so that's a positive step as we all know that beer is just liquid bread. ;)

That said, I cannot even go down the aisle in the store that has potato chips. If they wind up in my cart, they wind up in my stomach. I will eat any size bag of chips from top to bottom in one sitting. I know it. So I just have to skip that aisle. For salty food, I make homemade popcorn - I eat all of that too but I can easily control that portion. I just make less. Sweets aren't really my issue, but those little cutie oranges will satisfy my sweet tooth every time, even when I don't think so.

Btw, I think that this recipe is probably pretty low calorie, but you wouldn't know it from the taste. It is delicious. I made it on Monday and realized that I didn't have any cabbage (and I use green in this recipe). So I skipped it and just put this salad on a bed of mixed greens and really enjoyed it that way. I just added celery to replace the crunch of the cabbage and it was perfect. https://cookieandkate.com/thai-peanut-quinoa-salad-recipe/
Darn you! You reminded me of those nights when I would be out of town on business and would eat a bag of chips and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s for dinner. :)

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

I would kill for one of the sundaes from Ghirardelli in Disney Springs!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would kill for one of the sundaes from Ghirardelli in Disney Springs!
I wonder if they taste as good as the ones in San Francisco? :p

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL You were replying to me. So are you saying start at 100 lbs for 5 ft and add 5 lbs for every inch? I have not heard of that.

Yes, my PCP said no need to lose weight and he said I am at equilibrium because my weight fluctuates within 5 lbs whenever I get weighed at his office.

Yes that is what I heard many years ago and it actually works. You can be a little higher than that and still be healthy and look good but the 5 pound rule usually gets to a 21ish BMI.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I could stop with one cookie I'd be fine. But having one triggers the "need/want" for another. So I'm better off just not starting. I know what my triggers are.
That would be me and my chocolate, once I start on one I won't stop until I have 3 to 5 servings of what I had planned for.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That would be and my chocolate, once I start on one I won't stop until I have 3 to 5 servings of what I had planned for.
My mother, who at 5"8" was "fat" at 140 pounds was one of those who basically had a small appetite. She also couldn't eat when under stress. Anyway, she made the comment to me at one time about just having "one scoop of ice cream" or "one cookie". I looked at her like she was nuts. I took after my grandmother, one of the clean the plate club.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother, who at 5"8" was "fat" at 140 pounds was one of those who basically had a small appetite. She also couldn't eat when under stress. Anyway, she made the comment to me at one time about just having "one scoop of ice cream" or "one cookie". I looked at her like she was nuts. I took after my grandmother, one of the clean the plate club.
My husband knows that I struggle with food temptations and last night I was debating what sort of goodies I was going to have. He said just have 1 Baci chocolate and I said I cannot have just one and he said of course you can. I ate 3. :(

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My husband knows that I struggle with food temptations and last night I was debating what sort of goodies I was going to have. He said just have 1 Baci chocolate and I said I cannot have just one and he said of course you can. I ate 3. :(
Pretty good, I would have had the whole box. :rolleyes: