• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Tonight I had this wonderful idea let’s share our journey for those of us that want to pursue a healthier lifestyle to lose weight. Tuggers are so supportive in so many aspects that I hope others will think this is a good idea and participate. After all, the healthier we are the better shape we are to enjoy all aspects of timeshare vacationing.

This isn’t about perfection, this is about the bumps, falls and successes we encounter. An experience whether good or bad from one can help someone else. We can share recipes, good books, the weight loss plan we choose, exercises, meditation, etc anything that has helped.

So much has happened in the last year that once again I put everyone ahead of me. I did not take care of myself the way I should have, physically, mentally and nutritionally. I am mad of myself that once again I am in the position that I have gained too much weight. It affects me physically and mentally. I don’t like how I feel or look. I don’t move as well as I did. Who is that girl in the mirror?

Last Tuesday I decided to join Weight Watchers, not that it ever worked before. My community offers it and I thought it would be a good way to meet others which it was. To my surprise the program is much different, for me in a good way. Time will tell if it will work for me. I am hopeful.

Today I am on day five of taking care of me. Being off the sugars was difficult the first few days but today the cloud has disappeared and I have clarity. One thing that I am doing differently then ever before is I am preparing all my food, no frozen or ready made quick meals. I am taking this as an opportunity to learn new cooking skills. I have made this week a hummus, mushroom egg pie and oatmeal banana blueberries cookies with nothing else added.

Does anyone else want to join the journey?

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can count me in. I have been binging on lots of cheetos, chocolates and cookies lately and my weight has slowly crept up again. I would like to lose 10 lbs in the next 20 weeks.

I golf a few days a week and I get myself too hungry by the end of the round that I would have a meal and then continue to snack on carbs because the body feels deprived during the round. I need to have a healthy snack during the round to curb my hunger.

The promise I am making to myself is to pack a healthy snack and eat it halfway through the round to keep my hunger under control. I have to get back to eating no more than 100 grams of carbs a day.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in also. Last fall I finally got determined to get my weight back down to 200. At 64 I see me not making my goal of mountain biking pretty hard core until 70 at this weight. I have bad knees and the weight at 250 is too much strain. I lost 20 through the fall but the holidays were bad for me. A skin cancer diagnosis and the holidays left me pigging out. My guess is I regained 15 but refused to get on the scale. About a week ago with the final removal of the carcinoma I started back into the program. Taking daily 2 to 3 mile walk or hike along with limiting my food intake. On Wednesday the stitches come out and I can start back at the gym too. The goal is be in the 100's and be in better shape. I will never be in the great shape I was at 55 when I actually raced mountain bikes, but there are a few hills at our local trails that I can measure against. I propose to help keep us motivated that we update our progress periodically. Good Luck all.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm not on a weight loss journey but my husband and daughter are. I am the primary cook (my choice) and I love the recipes at www.skinnytaste.com . I have to eat a low fat diet anyway and the woman who creates the recipes uses a lot of herbs/seasonings instead of fats for flavor so it works for everyone in the house. Plus she has videos which has definitely helped me, a self taught cook, with a lot of different techniques.

Good luck to all!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I wish everyone a lot of luck with this. I need to do the same but I have been through this so many times in my life - lost tons of weight and gained it back- I have just about given up. I know right now I am nowhere near ready but I hope I can get to that place again.

This said, I do exercise at least.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish everyone a lot of luck with this. I need to do the same but I have been through this so many times in my life - list tons of weight and gained it back- I have just about given up. I know right now I am nowhere near ready but I hope I can get to that place again.

That is why I always say I have lost 100 lbs since retiring and kept all but 105 of it off.

PS this thread pushed me to weigh myself. Hard to believe I am better off than I thought. After 1 week I am at 235 which is officially 17 off from September.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off for almost 18 years. I did it with Weight Watchers and changed with the plan over the years. I incorporated changes to my diet and lifestyle along the way. I'm not perfect, but I like to think that when I stray it's because of a conscious choice I made. For example, when we go on vacation we eat differently than we do at home. More meals out, more alcohol (like one drink with dinner when we go out) and more desserts. So, when we get home I just jump back on plan. I've gotten to the place where I don't know how not to do it. I've recently stopped the stringent tracking, but I still keep a food journal. I do that as it keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I wish everyone a lot of luck with this. I need to do the same but I have been through this so many times in my life - list tons of weight and gained it back- I have just about given up. I know right now I am nowhere near ready but I hope I can get to that place again.

You’re in that cycle. You’ve plateaued then went into fatigue of it all. It’s a rough cycle. Sometimes it’s not just your “will power”. When you lose weight your body fights your brain to put it back on. Your brain says great I want to keep this off but your hormones say no! We need that weight back. Dieting and losing weight is healthy but to your body, it’s missing it’s energy stores. It needs to replenish it so when the next time it encounters the burst of energy it has enough stored up to compensate for it. The struggle isn’t just your “weakness” as some would say, it’s your body fighting against you.

you’re at the realization stage and soon the motivation willkick in. Just know when you’re about to get burned out to not give up. Start with small changes that will last longer. When we go from zero to 100 it’s easy to burn out. Slow and steady

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We made this decision about a month ago when we came back from the annual Mexico break. Too much guacamole, chips, cerveza, etc.etc. DW is more diligent than I. She says she's down 12 lbs, me- about 6. But it's a start. I have to weigh myself daily- doc's orders to monitor water build-up, but it's a pretty good incentivizer. You get daily reinforcement if it drops a skosh, and a little reminder if you need to pass on that handful of treat (because you've earned it).

Good luck to everyone!

Jim

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I am in also. Last fall I finally got determined to get my weight back down to 200. At 64 I see me not making my goal of mountain biking pretty hard core until 70 at this weight. I have bad knees and the weight at 250 is too much strain. I lost 20 through the fall but the holidays were bad for me. A skin cancer diagnosis and the holidays left me pigging out. My guess is I regained 15 but refused to get on the scale. About a week ago with the final removal of the carcinoma I started back into the program. Taking daily 2 to 3 mile walk or hike along with limiting my food intake. On Wednesday the stitches come out and I can start back at the gym too. The goal is be in the 100's and be in better shape. I will never be in the great shape I was at 55 when I actually raced mountain bikes, but there are a few hills at our local trails that I can measure against. I propose to help keep us motivated that we update our progress periodically. Good Luck all.
I topped out at 223 over the holidays. I had crept up to there after weighing between 190-200, my desired weight, since I retired 6 years ago. I was not exercising regularly and not eating healthy. I didn’t have much energy and had started having acid reflux issues which I had years ago when I weighed in the 220’s. I had joined a gym last summer but stopped going regularly during the holidays. My New Year’s resolution was to get back in the gym and get back down to 200 this year. My immediate goal is to hit the gym 4-5 days a week where I do 1 hour walking 3-4 miles on the treadmill each trip. Last week was my first time to make it 5 days. I have also changed my eating to a light breakfast of yogurt and a high fiber cereal, a good healthy lunch and a light snack at dinner. I’m down to 215 today. I’m already feeling better and haven’t had any reflux for the oast couple of weeks. We have a trip to Nashville in mid-March and I would love to be at 210 by that time because I’m sure I’ll gain a little there because I won’t eat as well and may not have time for the gym, although I’m going to try at least a couple of mornings. I wish good luck to all of us!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My immediate goal is to hit the gym 4-5 days a week where I do 1 hour walking 3-4 miles on the treadmill each trip.
I am not a gym goer by nature, although over the years I have belonged to several gyms. When we lived in California I would get exercise by walking. When we moved to New Mexico, in the dead of winter, I realized that I was going to need to find another way to exercise. There is a gym not too far from us. Not the least expensive option, but one I knew I could get to. I eased my way in. I started out with a one month membership. When I joined they had a trainer spend about 30 minutes with me showing me around. I decided to book the trainer for a couple of sessions. If I had an appointment set up, I was sure to show up. It's now been 7 years. I still see the trainer once a week (she works parts of my body that I don't normally, plus I enjoy working with her). I am usually at the gym between 3 to 5 days a week. It's become habit. I like the way I feel afterwards. I'm not doing it at this point for weight loss but to maintain mobility and stamina.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We made this decision about a month ago when we came back from the annual Mexico break. Too much guacamole, chips, cerveza, etc.etc. DW is more diligent than I. She says she's down 12 lbs, me- about 6. But it's a start. I have to weigh myself daily- doc's orders to monitor water build-up, but it's a pretty good incentivizer. You get daily reinforcement if it drops a skosh, and a little reminder if you need to pass on that handful of treat (because you've earned it).

Good luck to everyone!

Jim
I’m in the weigh every day camp, also. If the trend is downward, it keeps me motivated to continue what I’m doing. Conversely, when the pounds go up, it reinforces that I immediately need to get back to eating properly and exercising.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not a gym goer by nature, although over the years I have belonged to several gyms. When we lived in California I would get exercise by walking. When we moved to New Mexico, in the dead of winter, I realized that I was going to need to find another way to exercise. There is a gym not too far from us. Not the least expensive option, but one I knew I could get to. I eased my way in. I started out with a one month membership. When I joined they had a trainer spend about 30 minutes with me showing me around. I decided to book the trainer for a couple of sessions. If I had an appointment set up, I was sure to show up. It's now been 7 years. I still see the trainer once a week (she works parts of my body that I don't normally, plus I enjoy working with her). I am usually at the gym between 3 to 5 days a week. It's become habit. I like the way I feel afterwards. I'm not doing it at this point for weight loss but to maintain mobility and stamina.
The one I joined has a basic membership for just $10/month. They also have other programs you can get for an additional fee. I joined for the opposite reason you did; it’s too freaking hot here to walk outside in the summer. I’m very much a creature of habit so as long as I can get in the habit of going, I really hate to miss a day. However, the opposite is also true. When I get interrupted for a few days, it‘s hard to get started back.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mobility and Stamina.
I like that.
That's what I need to keep up with my grandsons, ages 8 and 9. When they were younger I could keep up with them (their legs were shorter).

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check with your health insurance carrier. They may subsidize your gym membership. Ours does. It doesn't cover the whole banana, but it's a help.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Check with your health insurance carrier. They may subsidize your gym membership. Ours does. It doesn't cover the whole banana, but it's a help.
Nope, they don't. If I wanted to get an Advantage plan it would cover some. But I have a Medicare Supplement and it doesn't cover gym membership. But what I spend is worth it to me. I forgot to mention that in addition to working towards mobility and stamina, it has helped tremendously with the sometimes back issues I have.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can count me in. I have been binging on lots of cheetos, chocolates and cookies lately and my weight has slowly crept up again. I would like to lose 10 lbs in the next 20 weeks.

I golf a few days a week and I get myself too hungry by the end of the round that I would have a meal and then continue to snack on carbs because the body feels deprived during the round. I need to have a healthy snack during the round to curb my hunger.

The promise I am making to myself is to pack a healthy snack and eat it halfway through the round to keep my hunger under control. I have to get back to eating no more than 100 grams of carbs a day.
I haven’t made any weight goals, just that I will pursue eating healthier. My biggest obstacle is the stress of dealing with an elderly mother who is extremely difficult, nothing is good enough. Today was challenging. I wanted to binge, Food was calling my name. Ate more then I should have but then again it could have been a lot worse.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have been dealing with what I call medical stress. I find I either eat everything or get depressed and eat hardly anything. 55 was when it got harder for me to keep my weight stable. Wednesday will be the day to celebrate, stitches out and you can do what you want.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not on a weight loss journey but my husband and daughter are. I am the primary cook (my choice) and I love the recipes at www.skinnytaste.com . I have to eat a low fat diet anyway and the woman who creates the recipes uses a lot of herbs/seasonings instead of fats for flavor so it works for everyone in the house. Plus she has videos which has definitely helped me, a self taught cook, with a lot of different techniques.

Good luck to all!
I will check out the site. I have been cooking and enjoying my foods much more. It should help with ideas.

Whereas you don’t need to lose weight you have to eat low fat so you are pursuing a healthier lifestyle. I believe the healthier lifestyle is ultimate what my goal is. Weight loss if needed just happens as a result of that healthier lifestyle. Maybe I didn’t need to add “to lose weight”.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You don’t have to be ready. This is about ups an downs, not necessarily success soon. Something someone shares might later spark you, me, others.

I refuse to let my previous failures stop my future successes. I believe those that succeed have learned from their many failures.

If I am honest to you and myself, I am not ready. All I know is I am not me and I need to feel better so I will keep trying even if I fail. My reason for starting this thread is for when I fall, I acknowledge it and our group helps pick me up as I will do for others.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is why I always say I have lost 100 lbs since retiring and kept all but 105 of it off.

PS this thread pushed me to weigh myself. Hard to believe I am better off than I thought. After 1 week I am at 235 which is officially 17 off from September.
17 pounds off is great. Congrats. When I pushed myself to get weighed by going to weight watchers my fears of weight gain were real.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I lost 60 pounds and have kept it off for almost 18 years. I did it with Weight Watchers and changed with the plan over the years. I incorporated changes to my diet and lifestyle along the way. I'm not perfect, but I like to think that when I stray it's because of a conscious choice I made. For example, when we go on vacation we eat differently than we do at home. More meals out, more alcohol (like one drink with dinner when we go out) and more desserts. So, when we get home I just jump back on plan. I've gotten to the place where I don't know how not to do it. I've recently stopped the stringent tracking, but I still keep a food journal. I do that as it keeps me accountable for what I put in my mouth.
Wow, Gives me hope when you say “ I don’t know how not to do it”. When you lost your 60 pounds was it on your first try or did it take multiple times?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I topped out at 223 over the holidays. I had crept up to there after weighing between 190-200, my desired weight, since I retired 6 years ago. I was not exercising regularly and not eating healthy. I didn’t have much energy and had started having acid reflux issues which I had years ago when I weighed in the 220’s. I had joined a gym last summer but stopped going regularly during the holidays. My New Year’s resolution was to get back in the gym and get back down to 200 this year. My immediate goal is to hit the gym 4-5 days a week where I do 1 hour walking 3-4 miles on the treadmill each trip. Last week was my first time to make it 5 days. I have also changed my eating to a light breakfast of yogurt and a high fiber cereal, a good healthy lunch and a light snack at dinner. I’m down to 215 today. I’m already feeling better and haven’t had any reflux for the oast couple of weeks. We have a trip to Nashville in mid-March and I would love to be at 210 by that time because I’m sure I’ll gain a little there because I won’t eat as well and may not have time for the gym, although I’m going to try at least a couple of mornings. I wish good luck to all of us!
It is great you are feeling better. I usually aim to walk 5 miles a day but this week I haven’t. Even with all my walking the weight crept back up. This week just have been concentrating on the food. I have found in the past if I eat more but fresh foods versus packaged I do much better. Tuesday I will know when I get weighed. There is a scale in my home but I will stay away for my sanity.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Wow, Gives me hope when you say “ I don’t know how not to do it”. When you lost your 60 pounds was it on your first try or did it take multiple times?
I had gained and lost over the years, but not that much. I usually did some type of fad diet thing, lost some weight, then gained it back. I really started gaining weight between baby and and baby two and after my second daughter was born I started weight watchers. Lost the weight, and probably more than I should have, kept it off for awhile, then gained it all back plus more. I finally decided in 2001 that I'd had it. I wasn't able to be the "happy fat lady". I went back to Weight Watchers and it was a straight downwards trend after that. Took almost a year to lose the weight, but I did keep it off this time.