• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Leftover MVC Destination Points

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have a little over 900 MVC DPs that will expire in December 2020. I do not think we are going to use them to travel since I have other things planned for the end of this year. Would I be able to deposit them in II? If so, how does it work?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Not enough for an II deposit I think. Before the end of September, make a ressie 60 days or less out, cancel the next day and the expiration date will be extended till 12/31/21 but points can only be used 120 days or closer to check in.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Not enough for an II deposit I think. Before the end of September, make a ressie 60 days or less out, cancel the next day and the expiration date will be extended till 12/31/21 but points can only be used 120 days or closer to check in.

Awesome idea! Thank you for the advice!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
You could also try converting to a resort credit for a future stay. I think they are still doing that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was able to make a reservation for end of October that came out to exactly 945 points, which is what I have. So when do I need to cancel to get the points extended into 2021? Would that be extended to October 2021 when this reservation is canceled?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I was able to make a reservation for end of October that came out to exactly 945 points, which is what I have. So when do I need to cancel to get the points extended into 2021? Would that be extended to October 2021 when this reservation is canceled?
Just call or chat to cancel anytime before end of Sept to get extension to 12/31/21. May take a couple days after cancellation before they show extended expiration.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just call or chat to cancel anytime before end of Sept to get extension to 12/31/21. May take a couple days after cancellation before they show extended expiration.

I did exactly what you recommended and my 945 points are now in holding through 12/31/2021. Thank you so much for this advice!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute here? How does this work? I just canceled today and this is what they are telling me.
I booked in August and just canceled with the intention of getting the holding account?

Thank you for contacting Marriott Vacation Club.

According to our records you have 3,675 Vacation Club Points that will expire December 31, 2020. At this time no extensions are being made, however you still have options for using these points:

1) Book villa reservations, City Explorer hotel reservations, a cruise or a tour with an arrival date on or before the expiration date of points.

2) Travel Protection - You may use your points to protect against last minute emergencies. The cost is 400 Vacation Club Points or $99, per usage year.

3) Book airfare - points used for airfare are taken on the purchase date (the date you book tickets), and can be booked for flights up to 11 months in advance. Points are taken in 500 point increments toward the cost of your ticket.

4) External Exchange credit with Interval International. This is a purchase of a seven-night credit valid for up two years, but must be used at a non-Marriott facility. You are responsible for exchange fees.

5) Golf Certificates – valid for one year from date of purchase.

6) Destination Activities/Resort Credits - you must have a reservation at a participating resort starting prior to the expiration of your points to use this option.

Options 3, 4 & 5 are good ways to extend the life of your points.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email or via our website at www.marriottvacationclub.com.

Best Regards,

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wait a minute here? How does this work? I just canceled today and this is what they are telling me.
I booked in August and just canceled with the intention of getting the holding account?

Thank you for contacting Marriott Vacation Club.

According to our records you have 3,675 Vacation Club Points that will expire December 31, 2020. At this time no extensions are being made, however you still have options for using these points:

1) Book villa reservations, City Explorer hotel reservations, a cruise or a tour with an arrival date on or before the expiration date of points.

2) Travel Protection - You may use your points to protect against last minute emergencies. The cost is 400 Vacation Club Points or $99, per usage year.

3) Book airfare - points used for airfare are taken on the purchase date (the date you book tickets), and can be booked for flights up to 11 months in advance. Points are taken in 500 point increments toward the cost of your ticket.

4) External Exchange credit with Interval International. This is a purchase of a seven-night credit valid for up two years, but must be used at a non-Marriott facility. You are responsible for exchange fees.

5) Golf Certificates – valid for one year from date of purchase.

6) Destination Activities/Resort Credits - you must have a reservation at a participating resort starting prior to the expiration of your points to use this option.

Options 3, 4 & 5 are good ways to extend the life of your points.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us by replying to this email or via our website at www.marriottvacationclub.com.

Best Regards,
Was the reservation you cancelled inside of 60 days from checkin?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No. Is that the trick?

Or shall I say the puck trick?
Yes, in order to get the 12/31/2021 120 day restricted DC points, you have to be cancelling a reservation with a checkin less than 60 days from date of cancellation. You also must do it (currently) prior to 9/30/2020.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, in order to get the 12/31/2021 120 day restricted DC points, you have to be cancelling a reservation with a checkin less than 60 days from date of cancellation. You also must do it (currently) prior to 9/30/2020.

Jeremy,

Where is that language spelled out? Just so I know for future reference? Or is it a special Covid rule?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Requires login

I'm Canceling a Reservation Made with:
  • (1) Vacation Club Points More Than 60 Days from Arrival
    • If you are seeking to cancel your reservation booked with your Vacation Club Points and are due to arrive more than 60 days from the day you cancel, you may do so without penalty. Your usage will be returned to your account and will be accessible for use upon completion of cancellation.
  • (2) Vacation Club Points Within 60 Days of Arrival
    • Until September 30, 2020, if you are seeking to cancel your reservation, booked with Vacation Club Points, and are canceling 60 days or less from the date of arrival, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account; however, the Points Premium (if any) will be forfeited.
      • For Vacation Club Points expiring anytime in 2020 or 2021 and placed into a Holding Account as a result of a cancellation made prior to September 30, 2020 and within 60 days or less of arrival, the expiration deadline of such Vacation Club Points will be extended through December 31, 2021, and can be used for a villa reservation or select Explorer offerings within 120 days of arrival instead of the previous 60 days of arrival. The December 31, 2021 extension will be made to your account within two weeks.
    • If you are seeking to cancel your reservation on the date of arrival or while staying at one of our resorts, Vacation Club Points will not be returned.

Your cancellation fell under (1), you want to get it to fall under (2).

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requires login

I'm Canceling a Reservation Made with:
  • (1) Vacation Club Points More Than 60 Days from Arrival
    • If you are seeking to cancel your reservation booked with your Vacation Club Points and are due to arrive more than 60 days from the day you cancel, you may do so without penalty. Your usage will be returned to your account and will be accessible for use upon completion of cancellation.
  • (2) Vacation Club Points Within 60 Days of Arrival
    • Until September 30, 2020, if you are seeking to cancel your reservation, booked with Vacation Club Points, and are canceling 60 days or less from the date of arrival, your Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account; however, the Points Premium (if any) will be forfeited.
      • For Vacation Club Points expiring anytime in 2020 or 2021 and placed into a Holding Account as a result of a cancellation made prior to September 30, 2020 and within 60 days or less of arrival, the expiration deadline of such Vacation Club Points will be extended through December 31, 2021, and can be used for a villa reservation or select Explorer offerings within 120 days of arrival instead of the previous 60 days of arrival. The December 31, 2021 extension will be made to your account within two weeks.
    • If you are seeking to cancel your reservation on the date of arrival or while staying at one of our resorts, Vacation Club Points will not be returned.

Your cancellation fell under (1), you want to get it to fall under (2).
Thanks again!

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
It worked for points I had in a holding account for 2020 - made the reservation, cancelled it - and a few days later they became 2021 120 day holding account! Learned that here!

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually figured it out myself when I had to cancel, again, my granddaughter's Hawaiian honeymoon. While On the phone with owner services, I asked what I could do with the 6625 points I had in my account that would be expiring at the end of 2020. His answer was to pay for insurance etc. I figured if I can cancel my granddaughters vacation I could cancel one for myself.
So I did. I reserved 17 nights in Hawaii and canceled it. The points went directly into a 120 day holding account and now the points are good throughout 2021.

I didn't wait for a day. I called immediately after I made the reservation. the cancelation showed up in my email in a couple of minutes.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I actually figured it out myself when I had to cancel, again, my granddaughter's Hawaiian honeymoon. While On the phone with owner services, I asked what I could do with the 6625 points I had in my account that would be expiring at the end of 2020. His answer was to pay for insurance etc. I figured if I can cancel my granddaughters vacation I could cancel one for myself.
So I did. I reserved 17 nights in Hawaii and canceled it. The points went directly into a 120 day holding account and now the points are good throughout 2021.

I didn't wait for a day. I called immediately after I made the reservation. the cancelation showed up in my email in a couple of minutes.
I am not sure what purpose the insurance had in regard to this?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you can't use them this year, you could now book anything for the next 60 days, cancel , and the points will be in the 120 day account until the of end of 2021.

Yep

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what purpose the insurance had in regard to this?
It was one of the options offered to me to use up my points. I told him I had 6625 points and there's no way I could use enough on insurance.I was just pointing out one of the lame options he gave me.