• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Least expensive ATM fees in Europe?

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Marriott Rewards Visa, Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer, AAdvantage Aviator and Delta Skymiles American Express. Which if any will have the lowest fees? The United card is the only one without a chip.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Unless you have an ATM or other card from your bank or credit union, using the cards you mentioned will probably be treated as a cash advance at a horrible rate.

I have three ATM / Debit cards from my various banks and they all charge 1% or thereabouts.

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What x3 said. DO NOT use any credit card to get cash. You will be charged the card's rate from day one as a cash advance. Use a debit card. You'll pay the local bank's ATM fee (usually 1.50 t0 2 euros). Your bank will charge you about the same, plus a 1.5% foreign transaction fee. If you have a Capitol One debit card, they don't charge the FTF. You can sidestep some of the charges by using the debit card and taking 'cash back' on top of the transaction, but most of us don't buy a lot of small items (or groceries) on a card in Europe.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My dd just got back from an extended trip to Europe. She was in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. She said the Europeans are huge on using debit cards, not so much use of cash. In fact she said in Sweden, especially Stockholm, it was considered very strange to use cash. She found the fees to be less using the debit card directly for purchases than to use it to take cash out.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now if you pre load the credit card with cash then use it to pull cash from the atm it is not a cash advance.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I called and my Delta Skymiles has no fees!

No fees when you use it to purchase something by using it as a credit card but huge fees if you withdraw cash from an ATM. It's two entirely different types of use.

You asked in your original post about ATM's, not charging purchases. ;)

Cheers

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now if you pre load the credit card with cash then use it to pull cash from the atm it is not a cash advance.

I was not aware that a pre-loaded credit card would function as a debit card as long as you have a positive balance. This bears a call to the provider, 'cause it sounds fishy. Stay tuned, because this would eliminate the need for a debit card if true, and one pays off their CC balance monthly.

Jim

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is what my bank told me as well. If there is a cash balance on the card, there will not be any cash advance.

I ended up not withdrawing cash so I can't confirm if this is true or not.

meatsss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the UK and Ireland where we spent 2 weeks on vacation. We had notified our bank and Credit Card companies that we would be overseas for these weeks, so they would not jump up right away and block the cards when transactions started coming in. I got 50 Pounds from an ATM at Heathrow when we landed just to have some cash. No ATM fee there , but the exchange rate was $1.77 per Pound. Ouch.

I found that many of the banks offered no ATM fees and the best rate was at the Tube stops, at $1.68 per Pound. My bank charged $1.50 for each withdrawal, so I made sure to get 200 or 300 Pounds at a time to keep the fee cost as a percentage of the withdrawal low.

We used cash most of the time, and when we had to use a card, we used the credit card with the chip. If there were an suspicious charges, they can be disputed. Not so much on a debit card. All of the restaurants bring the credit card machine to the table so you can see the transaction being handled.

We made sure to use up most of our cash before we left the UK for Ireland and their Euro.

If you do go from the UK to Ireland and plan to take some bus tours. Some of the tours go to Northern Ireland (The Giants Causeway for one) and you will need Pounds there.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I got 50 Pounds from an ATM at Heathrow when we landed just to have some cash. No ATM fee there , but the exchange rate was $1.77 per Pound. Ouch.

[...]

I found that many of the banks offered no ATM fees and the best rate was at the Tube stops, at $1.68 per Pound. My bank charged $1.50 for each withdrawal, so I made sure to get 200 or 300 Pounds at a time to keep the fee cost as a percentage of the withdrawal low.

It sounds like you opted for the ATM to do the conversion rather than your own bank. To get the best conversion always decline this option and let the charge go through in the local currency, and your bank will then do the conversion (which will always be the least expensive option for you). Also, ATM fees in general can be waived by your bank for many...it all depends on what type of account you have at home - just be sure you're actually using a real bank ATM when abroad and not a speciality ATM at a venue (which can add extra fees).

Sent from my iPad

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Stay in your debit card's network

Before using a debit card at an ATM to get cash, be sure it's a *bank* ATM and that the bank belongs to the same network as the bank that issued your debit card. If you don't, you will be charged high exchange fees.

If you stay in-network, your exchange fee will be as fair as any offered anywhere.

As I understand it, you must use a bank ATM if you want to stay in-network.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also been known to take cash with me and exchange at cambios recommended by the local friends you make on the ground. That's where you get the best rates.