• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Least expensive access to Open Season bookings

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Sat through a presentation yesterday and was intrigued by Open Season bookings. After looking at the 2022 rates, and assuming the availability the agent showed me was real, it seems like a great option for people who can travel on a whim, or who are willing to bounce around units, possibly filling availability gaps with hotels for a period of time. Not being interested in weeks at any particular place, what would the least cost/hassle method of entry into the system be? The agent implied that purchasing a resale wouldn’t get me access, but she was vague. Is that true? If not, then it seems obvious I should absolutely go that route? If true, I guess it boils down to predicting the cost of selling a purchased unit. Has anybody produced anything to set expectations for any properties?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
So far, all resale owners have access to OS. I guess, at some point, they could end it but so far they have not. I think that they like to say that to push folks toward retail.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
So far, all resale owners have access to OS. I guess, at some point, they could end it but so far they have not. I think that they like to say that to push folks toward retail.
Thanks. That is what I have seen on here, or at least nothing to the contrary.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Many people feel that buying a true HGVC resale in Vegas or Orlando is the best bet to buy into HGVC. You can buy an affiliate HGVC resort but you have to then join HGVC, so can't go wrong with a true HGVC resort.

Buying a platinum week cost more than a gold week but the MFs are the same and you get more points with a platinum week.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Many people feel that buying a true HGVC resale in Vegas or Orlando is the best bet to buy into HGVC. You can buy an affiliate HGVC resort but you have to then join HGVC, so can't go wrong with a true HGVC resort.

Buying a platinum week cost more than a gold week but the MFs are the same and you get more points with a platinum week.

You also have to think about divesting yourself of the deed if the need arises. I love the HGVC system, but if I have, I purchased deeds that can be sold or even given away very easily. I don’t plan on getting rid of them, but I should be able to if I have to. Vegas platinum 2 bedrooms are the best for this. The MF’s are low.

Sat through a presentation yesterday and was intrigued by Open Season bookings. After looking at the 2022 rates, and assuming the availability the agent showed me was real, it seems like a great option for people who can travel on a whim, or who are willing to bounce around units, possibly filling availability gaps with hotels for a period of time.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Where are thinking of using the open season bookings? If you are wanting to go to a popular place, you very well may be disappointed. Most of the most popular resorts are booked at 9 months. You then throw in the HGVMax (can book at 6 months) members from DRI (that is supposed to be up and in October) and the open season just might lose even more value. If you are looking to go to Orlando or Vegas, you might get some bookings. If Oahu, Maui, Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina (especially Hilton Head and Charleston), NYC or California, you very well might struggle with those places.

HGVC is great, especially when you use your resale points. That’s your best value.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
You also have to think about divesting yourself of the deed if the need arises. I love the HGVC system, but if I have, I purchased deeds that can be sold or even given away very easily. I don’t plan on getting rid of them, but I should be able to if I have to. Vegas platinum 2 bedrooms are the best for this. The MF’s are low.

Where are thinking of using the open season bookings? If you are wanting to go to a popular place, you very well may be disappointed. Most of the most popular resorts are booked at 9 months. You then throw in the HGVMax (can book at 6 months) members from DRI (that is supposed to be up and in October) and the open season just might lose even more value. If you are looking to go to Orlando or Vegas, you might get some bookings. If Oahu, Maui, Florida Gulf Coast, South Carolina (especially Hilton Head and Charleston), NYC or California, you very well might struggle with those places.

HGVC is great, especially when you use your resale points. That’s your best value.
The agent let me click around an open season calendar screen, which is presently September, and it appeared if I was in Cabo, I could piece together an entire month stay, although I'd have to move around units, at prices much better than comparable hotels. They were insistent I had to buy through them for that perk, but I wanted to get some feedback as I'm quite sure they would say anything.

In Maui atm and they just couldn't believe the deal I could get at Kingsland on Big Island it looks nice enough but appears to me the MF is about what booking would cost, so my questions were 1) why limit myself and 2) how much will exiting cost me.

If there is truly last minute availability at places like cabo, Barbados and big island resorts at the significant advertised discounts, wife and I are flexible enough to book last minute flights, etc to get value.

Thanks for the replies!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The agent let me click around an open season calendar screen, which is presently September, and it appeared if I was in Cabo, I could piece together an entire month stay, although I'd have to move around units, at prices much better than comparable hotels. They were insistent I had to buy through them for that perk, but I wanted to get some feedback as I'm quite sure they would say anything.

In Maui atm and they just couldn't believe the deal I could get at Kingsland on Big Island it looks nice enough but appears to me the MF is about what booking would cost, so my questions were 1) why limit myself and 2) how much will exiting cost me.

If there is truly last minute availability at places like cabo, Barbados and big island resorts at the significant advertised discounts, wife and I are flexible enough to book last minute flights, etc to get value.

Thanks for the replies!

Just remember that it might just change when Max gets implemented.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A

Do you agree also that the open season perk is available if purchased on secondary market? Orlando is cheap to get to and my wife and I still enjoy Universal in mid fifties. I think I'm way more interested in open season discounts than a week's worth of points at any one location. My wife plays enough slots that Vegas is "free" anyway.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you agree also that the open season perk is available if purchased on secondary market? Orlando is cheap to get to and my wife and I still enjoy Universal in mid fifties. I think I'm way more interested in open season discounts than a week's worth of points at any one location. My wife plays enough slots that Vegas is "free" anyway.
There is no need to buy in Orlando. They are easy to book and have higher MFs. I would only buy in a specific place if it is high demand and I wanted to regularly stay there otherwise just get was is cheap and has low MFs.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Welcome to TUG :)

Two things to keep in mind
(1) Open Season is based on availability (not all unit size/types will be available)
(2) Open Season prices can change from year to year

Here are examples of Open Season for Cabo and the Big Island as of this evening.
NOTE: Barbados has limited availability. Requires a phone call to book

180E231B-8FCA-41F0-A155-D5E3399B732B.png

04198620-C855-423F-B653-BABFF9DABFB8.png

FBC1DB1D-0272-416E-A4D3-C5F19447456D.png

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A

(1) Open Season is based on availability (not all unit size/types will be available)

Here are examples of Open Season for Cabo and the Big Island as of this evening.

View attachment 64037

View attachment 64039

View attachment 64038
Thanks for the screenshots! For those rates, I’d be happy with a studio or penthouse. I’m surprised all the discussion is around weeks and transfers, and so little on last minute availability.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A

View attachment 64037

View attachment 64039

View attachment 64038
So apparently elite status changes the open season rate. No doubt the salesperson was demoing an account with an extra 30% off.

Attachments

• 2A0DC80F-B12A-4587-B00B-D351B4E91384.png
    2A0DC80F-B12A-4587-B00B-D351B4E91384.png
    200.9 KB · Views: 39

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So apparently elite status changes the open season rate. No doubt the salesperson was demoing an account with an extra 30% off.
Yes, EP gets 30% which is a decent savings but often is still more expensive than a club point booking however, it is a nice option to have when points are short

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
But I wouldn't recommend buy into HGVC for OS. That is a side benefit which can be easily changed (devalued) by HGVC. In fact, around 2014 is was greatly devalued by HGVC.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
But I wouldn't recommend buy into HGVC for OS. That is a side benefit which can be easily changed (devalued) by HGVC. In fact, around 2014 is was greatly devalued by HGVC.
I think I'm reaching the same conclusion.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you decide to buy in then use OS predominantly, I would suggest a Studio Plus at Elara in Vegas. The annual fees are low, buy in is low, and you would get minimal points. Of course you need to factor those annual fees as add on to the OS rates.

Seth Nock's site is a good place to check resale listings:

I have owned for 20 years and OS rates have gone up, but always been available to resale owners.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
If you decide to buy in then use OS predominantly, I would suggest a Studio Plus at Elara in Vegas. The annual fees are low, buy in is low, and you would get minimal points.

This is a bad piece of advice, IMO. When OP wants to get rid of it, they will quickly learn it's almost impossible. Elara studios show up almost every day on Ebay and nobody's biting (and I'm not talking just about no-points old Westgate deeds).

Elara Studio Plus is $654.34 MF for 3520 pts.

Boulevard 2 BR Gold is $944 MF for 8000 pts. Get an EOY and you pay $944 / 2 = $472 per year on average, for 4000 points on average. (Just double checking: open season is allowed for off-years, right?)

Boulevard 2 BR Gold EOY will go to a new owner for free just fine. Elara STP not so much.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sept is low season. Especially in Cabo. Better to evaluate OS availability during high season unless you plan to only travel low.

+1 @GT75 advice. I would consider OS a bonus that will devalue at any time. Not the main way to buy.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wouldn't book an OS without comparing it to a hilton.com booking becuz OS is non-refundable and sometimes, fully refundable bookings thru hilton.com are competitive. Unless I know that come hell or high water, I'm going to be there, I'll pay a bit more for a refundable booking.

Last edited:

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is new, but none of the newyork properties are available for open season unless you are an owner there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Maybe I am wrong but it sounds like you are best with traveling on short notice. To get open season you are buying a deeded week. If you are unable to plan your vacations far ahead that week will go to waste (unless you don’t mind vacationing in Vegas or Orlando). Also, that annual maintenance fee and club fee would be on top of the open season fees so if you aren’t maximizing your club points that just raises your true cost of open season.

To me, it seems comparable to buying a car, even though you don’t need a car, just to take advantage of discounted car washes.

BuckTheHerd

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
N/A
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm going to stick with gaming the travel systems I'm already familiar with. But I have accidentally learned a new trick for timeshare presentations for discounted travel, be genuinely interested and go over the time allotment an hour, at which point the salesperson will be begging you to leave.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I would be very careful about believing what you hear during a TS presentation. Many times it will be vague or misleading information. Remember, the salesperson just wants to make a sale, nothing more and nothing less.

TravelFam775

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were interested in the open season discount travel as well and that was a huge draw for us to purchase (then rescind) earlier this month. I was also looking at resale just for this perk because we also are flexible. But after reading the comments, I think points hacking is probably going to do it for us. Thanks to everyone who contributed input and especially to the OP for asking the exact question on my mind!!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk