• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lawai Beach Resort: Which building as exchanger? Ocean views?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We are taking Rick's stepmom with us to Hawaii for the 4th time, and we have our week at Westin Princeville, and I am hoping to get either a Shearwater, Kauai Beachboy, Poipu Point, or Lawai Beach for that second week. (Please let me get Shearwater!)

The buildings for LBR are listed by name, so I want to request the better buildings. Which should I enter into my request?

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cindy!!

The most direct ocean views are in the Alii building, on the 2nd ,3rd and 4th floors.( the 1st floor views are of the pool areas)
Banyan building also has ocean views on the same floors, at a 45 degree angle and a little further back from the ocean.

As and exchanger, many of them end up the the Coral Building, where part of the view is blocked by the Beach House across the street.
Hope this helps,

Greg

We are taking Rick's stepmom with us to Hawaii for the 4th time, and we have our week at Westin Princeville, and I am hoping to get either a Shearwater, Kauai Beachboy, Poipu Point, or Lawai Beach for that second week. (Please let me get Shearwater!)

The buildings for LBR are listed by name, so I want to request the better buildings. Which should I enter into my request?

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Try to arrive at LBR for checkin a bit early - about 3:30 or so. Ask about the room you are assigned to. If it's the Coral Building ask very nicely if it's possible to switch for a room in Ali'i or Banyan.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Ali'i Building is by far the best building. We found the first floor on the Banyon Bldg. to be noisy day and night.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thanks, everyone! I don't think I could take the noise you experienced, Denise. It will be easy to check in early because we will already be there. :)

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call a day in advance and put in a (oh so very polite) request, also.
We have stayed in 1st floor Alii and still had ocean views as long as you are on the far east side of the building (but not nearly as nice as the upper floors).

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
What week are you aiming for?

We should add that the first number in the unit number indicates the building (1 = Ali'i, 2= Banyan,3=Coral) and the second number indicates the floor number.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We want to get April 24th, ideally.

It seems like it would be a slower time on the islands: no school breaks, and the whales should be about gone from Kauai.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The most direct ocean views are in the Alii building, on the 2nd ,3rd and 4th floors.( the 1st floor views are of the pool areas)
Banyan building also has ocean views on the same floors, at a 45 degree angle and a little further back from the ocean.

As and exchanger, many of them end up the the Coral Building, where part of the view is blocked by the Beach House across the street.
Hope this helps,

Greg

Hi Greg!

Why does JLB always call it the Dreaded Coral Building? I am really just curious as to whether any of the buildings are terrible. I don't want to have the experience Denise had. I am a very light sleeper.

I am sure looking forward to possibly staying on the south side of the island. The last time was June of 2000. The last four trips to Kauai have been in Princeville.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own in Ali'i, and have stayed in Banyan once (for a one night rental as an add on to our week).
The Coral Building is the oldest and doesn't have the views of the others. It also suffers from cross-ventilation issues (the other buildings have great breezes). But in April I don't think that will be an issue as it won't be too hot yet?

I can't speak for the Coral Building, but even if you end up in there, you're still in Hawaii! How bad can it be, all things considered?

Banyan building all faces onto the pool, so you do get pool noises during the daytime hour, though if it's not a time of school breaks I think it would probably be pretty darn quiet. The Banyan pool is lovely to look at. You feel more like a resort which some people love and some people could skip. Because it is kind of a "C" shape (but a very stretched out C), you can see the other balconies in Banyan from your balcony. So no acting like honeymooners out there! ;) I did notice that the Banyan 2 bedroom we had had both bedrooms at the back of the unit. That means they don't face the ocean. You have more of the living area facing the ocean, but your bedrooms face onto the walkway out back where people enter their units. This could possibly give you more noise if the parking lot was noisy at night (we've never personally found that to be the case) or if someone is noisy coming back to their unit. We've usually found that due to the time difference (and the generally laid back nature of Kauai) most people are in bed or at least quieted down quite early. Not like the area is exploding in nightlife!

The Ali'i Building is straight, so you can't see onto the other balconies from your balcony. This makes it nice for sitting in your robe and pajamas and eating breakfast on the balcony! The Ali'i 2 bedrooms have the master bedroom facing the ocean, which gives you the best night sleep listening to the wind and the waves. But you have less of a view from the living areas (the living room faces the ocean, the kitchen is at the back of the unit and has only a distant view through the living room of the ocean). The 2nd bedroom faces onto the walkway/parking lot. We stick my father (completely deaf) and boys (who could sleep through a nuclear war) back there and they never hear a thing. There are a lot of palm trees along the back of both the Banyan and Ali'i Building which when the wind blows (which seems pretty much constant at night) makes a wonderful noise that sounds like a heavy rain and is very soothing and potentially covers a lot of noise.

If construction is going on back at the development behind LBR, any bedrooms facing the back/walkway/parking lot will hear it starting up at 7 a.m.

Hope this helps!

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
the Banyan 2 bedroom we had had both bedrooms at the back of the unit...but your bedrooms face onto the walkway out back where people enter their units. This could possibly give you more noise if the parking lot was noisy at night (we've never personally found that to be the case) or if someone is noisy coming back to their unit.

I had a similar experience to Denise and found the Banyon bldg to be unbearably noisy. In the back bedroom at night we were constantly subjected to noise from the parking lot and walkways. People (staying at the LBR) were constantly yelling back & forth from the car to upstairs family members. Knowing that we could be given a similar unit in the future, we chose to not go back.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lovely person working at the LBR reservations desk by the name of Benjilyn. A few days before you arrive call her and talk with her about where you would like to be located at the resort.

MaryH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a Akii 1bdrm 3 years ago and someone else I know had a unit in Coral originally but due to some issues, get an change to Banyan 2bdrm. If you liked Shearwater, I would think Akii would suite your taste. I had a great view of the ocean from my balcony on the 2nd floor