• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Latest Enrollment Offer

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just got off the phone with a sales rep from the main Salt Lake City office. Told me that I would be able to enroll 8 weeks with a purchase of 5500 DP.

Got the standard 5500 points for $9.20 a point with bonus of 12,000 DP points for cash purchase or if financed. With the bonus points valued at 60 cents a piece it brings the price per point to $7.89. I mentioned that there was usually a better bonus for financing but it was the same for this promo. This seems to me that MVC needs cash.

I replied that I did not want to buy trust points because of the MF. Mentioned that the $$$ I would need to spend to get the 8 weeks enrolled was $46k. Went on to offer Aruba weeks. These are the following prices I got, all are 2br weeks.

Ocean Club OceanView Plat worth 4425 DP for $45k discounted from $56.5 maintenance fee $1909
Surf Club OceanSide or OceanView woe th 4075 DP for $41.5 discounted from $46.9 maintenance fee $1905

I said what about St. Kitts? Got a honest answer, that if I was just looking at a cost to enroll my weeks, it would be a better deal than Aruba weeks. Here are the offers we discussed for 2br weeks, all with maintenance fee of $1977 this year.

OceanView fixed week 52 worth 5650 DP for $49.8k discounted from $56.5k
GardenView fixed week 52 worth 5125 DP for $44.6
Oceanside fixed week 7 worth 5300 DP for $47.1
OceanView fixed week 7 worth 4700 DP for $41k

Seems like the OV fixed week 7 would be the cheapest to enroll 8 weeks into the DP program. Getting 950 more points a year for the fixed week 52 is good but would take 16 years to break even. I would use these weeks as points generators. There is a bonus of 12k DP points for these purchases also.

I am seriously thinking of enrolling my last 12 weeks. Salesperson said that I would probably have to spend more than the $41k to enroll all 12 weeks. Will check with management and get back to me on Monday.

Anyone else have gotten better prices or deal combos? What do you all think? Comments from anyone? I did forget to ask if the more expensive week 52 got a bigger bonus.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a sales rep from the main Salt Lake City office. Told me that I would be able to enroll 8 weeks with a purchase of 5500 DP.

Got the standard 5500 points for $9.20 a point with bonus of 12,000 DP points for cash purchase or if financed. With the bonus points valued at 60 cents a piece it brings the price per point to $7.89. I mentioned that there was usually a better bonus for financing but it was the same for this promo. This seems to me that MVC needs cash.

I replied that I did not want to buy trust points because of the MF. Mentioned that the $$$ I would need to spend to get the 8 weeks enrolled was $46k. Went on to offer Aruba weeks. These are the following prices I got, all are 2br weeks.

Ocean Club OceanView Plat worth 4425 DP for $45k discounted from $56.5 maintenance fee $1909
Surf Club OceanSide or OceanView woe th 4075 DP for $41.5 discounted from $46.9 maintenance fee $1905

I said what about St. Kitts? Got a honest answer, that if I was just looking at a cost to enroll my weeks, it would be a better deal than Aruba weeks. Here are the offers we discussed for 2br weeks, all with maintenance fee of $1977 this year.

OceanView fixed week 52 worth 5650 DP for $49.8k discounted from $56.5k
GardenView fixed week 52 worth 5125 DP for $44.6
Oceanside fixed week 7 worth 5300 DP for $47.1
OceanView fixed week 7 worth 4700 DP for $41k

Seems like the OV fixed week 7 would be the cheapest to enroll 8 weeks into the DP program. Getting 950 more points a year for the fixed week 52 is good but would take 16 years to break even. I would use these weeks as points generators. There is a bonus of 12k DP points for these purchases also.

I am seriously thinking of enrolling my last 12 weeks. Salesperson said that I would probably have to spend more than the $41k to enroll all 12 weeks. Will check with management and get back to me on Monday.

Anyone else have gotten better prices or deal combos? What do you all think? Comments from anyone? I did forget to ask if the more expensive week 52 got a bigger bonus.

In essence, you can enroll your eight weeks with a $41K cash outlay, which works out to a bit more than $5,000 per week.

Worth it? Not really sure.

My thinking would be to possibly buy one of those weeks, use it to enroll your eight weeks, and then try to unload it to get some of your cash outlay back. Maybe you could get $20K to $25K on the resale market?????? If you could do that then your actually enrollment costs would be reduced to $2,500 per week and you wouldn't have maintenance responsibilities anymore for that $41K week.

Just a thought...........

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Sounds like a good idea to buy and then sell the st Kitts week. Anyone know what and Ocean View fixed week 7 st Kitts week is worth on the resale market? If not, the st kitts week isn't too bad as the points MF ratio is around 42 cents per DP.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is what I paid in Spring 2019 to Marriott for my St. Kitts which I used to enroll my quarter share (13 weeks) at Grand Residence. Higher price was needed to essentially "match" and enroll Grand Residence Club:

St. Kitts
2 Bedroom – Week 52 - Ocean View
Elects for 5,650 Vacation Club Points Annually

Purchase Price: $56,300
Annual 2018 Maintenance fee: $1,964
Closing costs $643
Purchase Incentive: 6,250 Plus Points

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, with the restrictions and uncertainty in the world these days - for the purposes of this discussion, when it comes to travel, why would anybody want to purchase additional ownership at this time? Most people cannot presently use what they have and there is no light at the end of the tunnel for the foreseeable future. Personally I have a trip in October and December, both using MVCI ownership, that I am not certain will occur given the present state of affairs. The last thing I want to do is buy more. Obviously to each her/his own, and I am not criticizing, rather just expressing an opinion.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Enrolling your 8 weeks at $5k per week is not bad when compared to prior MVC options to do so. No real better/cheaper option yet.

Question is really whether the $40k+ spend will make it worth it and deliver the ROI use options you are after.

If MVC does ever allow individual enrollment of a post 6/2010 week, I imagine it will not be much cheaper than $5k per week. Or maybe they base it off a $1 per DC pt the week is worth. (IE. If an annual 2BR MGV Plat is worth 2,725 DC pts, one would pay $2,725 to enroll it. )

I personally like TheTimeTraveler’s recommendation if you have no desire to use a St Kitts Wk52. It would lower your enrollment cost per week...but still leave you with a few bonus DC purchase Pts. Christmas/NYE likely are good fixed weeks to own at most warm beach locations. Another option would be to rent that St Kitts 52...assuming it covers over MFees plus some. You could use the plus some to offset your 40k invest over the next several years and sell later. This assumes rentals continue...which eventually they will post COVID.

Good luck in your decision. My gut says..we’ll see more of these offers (perhaps even better ones) over the next year or so...until the post-COVID economy really comes back. Until then, MVC will struggle for cash.

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
The prices quoted to the op for Aruba weeks are the same quoted to us. We are working with the Utah sales office on a 1 bedroom OV Platinum at AOC to enroll two weeks worth 9,975 points enrolled. We did not consider St. Kitts. One thing you should inquire about is an additional $1,500 cash incentive if you had a paid MVC or hotel stay within 2 months of your purchase agreement date. Not sure if the prices/incentives will get better. They could. Based on my situation and after accounting for the sales price, incentives, my enrolled points, and resale prices of the new week, I am at about $1.20 per point to enroll my weeks. I feel good about that since it is close to the $1 per point some tuggers think would be a fair enrollment price.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, see what they come back with. If they won't do all 12 for the current program, see what the $$$ limit is to do all 12. Maybe a fixed week or Platinum Plus and/or OF for Aruba might qualify even if the above doesn't. Might be a better long term value anyway. Or you could hold out and give them a few weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if they bite later even if not now. There really isn't much downside from their standpoint in saying no other than setting a precedence. For a 2 BR at SC you might try to get an Ocean side instead of OV if that ends up being the choice, should be the same price and points but a better value to use or rent.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiting to see what they come back with. If I can get all 12 weeks enrolled for the St Kitts week 7 presidents week at $41k it is tempting. Am in agreementwith everyone I am in no rush and in this environment, cash is king.

With the 12k bonus DP points knocking off another $7200 it brings the cost down to about $35k with closing. About $3k a week to enroll all 12 plus a week that generates DP points @42 cents each. I am not enrolling high value weeks (grand Vista, willow ridge, harbour lake, etc.) For me it would be prepaying my lock offs and exchange fees. Figure 12 lock off fees and 24 trade fees is almost $5k a year. In about 7 years I will break even disregarding time value of money. About 9 years to break even If $35k parked in a CD.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Waiting to see what they come back with. If I can get all 12 weeks enrolled for the St Kitts week 7 presidents week at $41k it is tempting. Am in agreementwith everyone I am in no rush and in this environment, cash is king.

With the 12k bonus DP points knocking off another $7200 it brings the cost down to about $35k with closing. About $3k a week to enroll all 12 plus a week that generates DP points @42 cents each. I am not enrolling high value weeks (grand Vista, willow ridge, harbour lake, etc.) For me it would be prepaying my lock offs and exchange fees. Figure 12 lock off fees and 24 trade fees is almost $5k a year. In about 7 years I will break even disregarding time value of money. About 9 years to break even If $35k parked in a CD.

I believe you are close to a deal that will not likely be replicated in the future. Timing is everything. 12 Weeks, $41K for St. Kitts week and 12,000 bonus points. I would take that. Unfortunately my 7 Marriott Phuket Platinum Week purchase initiated in June 2019 with Doctor Timeshare fell through. I was working to put myself in the resale enrollment position again this year.....

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, did you see my PM about possibly enrolling all 12 with the purchase of a week 7 unit at SC.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank, did you see my PM about possibly enrolling all 12 with the purchase of a week 7 unit at SC.
Yes thank you for the PM and will contact him if salt lake city sales doesnt figure it out. I am still holding out for the cheaper enrollment from the salt lake city sales office. But glad that it is proably possible with purchase of a higher cost week. Seems like $5k per week is the threshold.

Salt lake sales office called me back and said on working on getting them all enrolled. Waiting to see if the week 52 OV for $49.6 will do it. I asked about the bonus DP points and was told yes the week 52 OV got a bonus of 15k DP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes thank you for the PM and will contact him if salt lake city sales doesnt figure it out. I am still holding out for the cheaper enrollment from the salt lake city sales office. But glad that it is proably possible with purchase of a higher cost week. Seems like $5k per week is the threshold.

Salt lake sales office called me back and said on working on getting them all enrolled. Waiting to see if the week 52 OV for $49.6 will do it. I asked about the bonus DP points and was told yes the week 52 OV got a bonus of 15k DP.

Good luck, I hope it works out. But exciting that there is likely an option to do this.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Hey, that’s 50k they didn’t have before. I’d be surprised if they didn’t accept it considering this climate. I have found the sales office in Salt Lake very easy to work with and not as aggressive as the sites at the resorts. They negotiated and quite patient. I’ve bought my Marriott timeshares on the phone while at home. That may be the reason. Plus, I believe they may have more options than sales at the resorts.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
You might want to see if they have a week 7, 51 or 52 at the SC- the rental value for those is very high and another good option

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correction. The week I referenced was week 14.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to Dean and getting me in touch with his guy at Aruba, I have now closed and in the process of enrolling my last 12 weeks into the DC program. Spoke with Salt Lake sales and they were adamant that I would need to purchase two weeks to enroll all my weeks. They would not budge and I said thanks but no thanks.

Now the Aruba office was able to do the 12 week enrollment for a purchase of a plat plus week 52 Surf Club Island View for $50,100+$535 closing. Week is worth 5450 DP if elected. I also will receive 16000 DP good for 3 years as a bonus for purchasing this week. So final price minus the value of the bonus points is $41035. Cost to enroll 12 weeks comes out to about $3420 each week plus I am now the owner of a week 52 surf club. This is cheaper per week than enrolling 8 weeks with the purchase of a week 7 OV St Kitts 2 bedroom at $41k.

Of course, in the background, I am thinking if the price will come down in the next few months? I am happy with the price and I look at this purchase like buying a plane ticket, just buy it when I am happy with the price and accept the fact that if it goes down, I was happy at that price point.

With present costs of lock off and exchange fees I am looking at a break even point of 8 years or 10 years with TVM (with the $41035 in a 1/3/5 CD). This purchase is exactly a year ago when I bought 5k DP to enroll my two quarter shares and two post 2010 weeks. Never would have thought in 1 year I would be enrolling the rest of my post 2010 weeks into the trust. If you wanted to enroll 8 weeks I would go with Salt Lake sales and if you had 12 weeks, Aruba sales is the way to go.

Does anyone know what is the rental price of a surf club week 52 if I rented it? What about the resale value of 2br week 52 surf club island view?

Thanks again Dean! And thanks to the TUG community for help all these years. The sharing of information is literally priceless (well you folks did put a nice size hole in my savings account!) ;);)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank, it was my pleasure to help and glad it worked out with the Aruba sales person as I'm glad to give him the business partly because it helps support the island but more importantly, my experience with him was very positive as well.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Thanks to Dean and getting me in touch with his guy at Aruba, I have now closed and in the process of enrolling my last 12 weeks into the DC program. Spoke with Salt Lake sales and they were adamant that I would need to purchase two weeks to enroll all my weeks. They would not budge and I said thanks but no thanks.

Now the Aruba office was able to do the 12 week enrollment for a purchase of a plat plus week 52 Surf Club Island View for $50,100+$535 closing. Week is worth 5450 DP if elected. I also will receive 16000 DP good for 3 years as a bonus for purchasing this week. So final price minus the value of the bonus points is $41035. Cost to enroll 12 weeks comes out to about $3420 each week plus I am now the owner of a week 52 surf club. This is cheaper per week than enrolling 8 weeks with the purchase of a week 7 OV St Kitts 2 bedroom at $41k.

Of course, in the background, I am thinking if the price will come down in the next few months? I am happy with the price and I look at this purchase like buying a plane ticket, just buy it when I am happy with the price and accept the fact that if it goes down, I was happy at that price point.

With present costs of lock off and exchange fees I am looking at a break even point of 8 years or 10 years with TVM (with the $41035 in a 1/3/5 CD). This purchase is exactly a year ago when I bought 5k DP to enroll my two quarter shares and two post 2010 weeks. Never would have thought in 1 year I would be enrolling the rest of my post 2010 weeks into the trust. If you wanted to enroll 8 weeks I would go with Salt Lake sales and if you had 12 weeks, Aruba sales is the way to go.

Does anyone know what is the rental price of a surf club week 52 if I rented it? What about the resale value of 2br week 52 surf club island view?

Thanks again Dean! And thanks to the TUG community for help all these years. The sharing of information is literally priceless (well you folks did put a nice size hole in my savings account!) ;);)

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

First of all, congratulations on your enrollment of your remaining 12 weeks! I know you’ve been trying to hammer bringing all of your weeks into the MVC for some time. Now I know that you’ve got a humongous amount of weeks/points with which to now work. It’s beyond my comprehension to understand what one does with tha many weeks/points. If one lived in Wisconsin and wanted to escape winter from December through March, I get it. However, Hawaii MF are at least $2300 per week. Now I do know people rent points and weeks but that’s not always a guarantee you’ll be able to rent them.

So I’d like to understand what is it that you plan to do with all those weeks? How do you manage them? Do you actually us them all most years? I am assuming it’s not a financial burden, which is not my business, but even buying resale it’s costly at this volume. Do you use that many weeks.

I know there are a few of you out there. How do you take advantage of these large volumes of weeks, especially if you’re not retired?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations on your enrollment of your remaining 12 weeks! I know you’ve been trying to hammer bringing all of your weeks into the MVC for some time. Now I know that you’ve got a humongous amount of weeks/points with which to now work. It’s beyond my comprehension to understand what one does with tha many weeks/points. If one lived in Wisconsin and wanted to escape winter from December through March, I get it. However, Hawaii MF are at least $2300 per week. Now I do know people rent points and weeks but that’s not always a guarantee you’ll be able to rent them.

So I’d like to understand what is it that you plan to do with all those weeks? How do you manage them? Do you actually us them all most years? I am assuming it’s not a financial burden, which is not my business, but even buying resale it’s costly at this volume. Do you use that many weeks.

I know there are a few of you out there. How do you take advantage of these large volumes of weeks, especially if you’re not retired?
I can't speak for others but personally I have 18 MVC weeks giving me over 67K points if I took points on everything. Plus I have a large amount of Bluegreen points, equal to around 7-8 weeks a year as well and 433 DVC points. I've positioned myself for retirement but also current usage. I use MVC mostly for my general travel including a large family trip most years to HHI at MGO, lodging on us. I own 9 weeks there and usually have 11-14 units totals the rest on points. At times I've used the BG points the same way. I had intended to sell most of the DVC points but never got around to it and with the newer resorts costing more we'll likely just keep them. So I use weeks directly, exchange weeks, use points to supplement weeks by addition units and/or longer stays and use points for other stays as well. I rarely rent and almost never list for rent. I do have a few people I've rented to in the past that contact me and ask and if I have extra, I'll do so. Fees are a chunk of change but we live within our means and plan for this. I'm also planning for legacy options to hopefully leave enough funds for the kids to continue the legacy I've just described.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I can't speak for others but personally I have 18 MVC weeks giving me over 67K points if I took points on everything. Plus I have a large amount of Bluegreen points, equal to around 7-8 weeks a year as well and 433 DVC points. I've positioned myself for retirement but also current usage. I use MVC mostly for my general travel including a large family trip most years to HHI at MGO, lodging on us. I own 9 weeks there and usually have 11-14 units totals the rest on points. At times I've used the BG points the same way. I had intended to sell most of the DVC points but never got around to it and with the newer resorts costing more we'll likely just keep them. So I use weeks directly, exchange weeks, use points to supplement weeks by addition units and/or longer stays and use points for other stays as well. I rarely rent and almost never list for rent. I do have a few people I've rented to in the past that contact me and ask and if I have extra, I'll do so. Fees are a chunk of change but we live within our means and plan for this. I'm also planning for legacy options to hopefully leave enough funds for the kids to continue the legacy I've just described.

Dean, that is some portfolio of Timeshare and vacation club weeks and points. I hope you're retired already as this must be a full time job just to keep track of it all. Its too bad MVC doesn't have a higher level than Chairman for an owner such as yourself.
I'm not familiar with Bluegreen points but I take it that's a non-Marriott TS system.

Frank808, I'm not quite following the calculation you did above regarding a 1/3/5 CD vs. the money you spent for the Aruba week and the enrollment of your other weeks. Yes, we all need to justify the present spend in our own way and figure out the Future value and future costs that way as well. We have never thought of our ownership weeks and points as "assets" but rather as a cost of vacationing. Dean, its good to hear you are taking the legacy options and costs to maintain into account in your estate planning.

Just to change the topic slightly, but with owners like you both who have lots of weeks/ points, have you ever used or considered using the Villas of Distinction home rentals? It is another Explorer option I'm considering, especially in light of the safety/health issues of being in resorts with many strangers. The Villas look like they have some amazing properties, mostly outside the US for vacations with my family of kids, their spouses and our grand children. Dean, I know you won't like the points value these offer, but instead of booking resort weeks for the foreseeable future, I would consider taking the "hit" in value to try out one of these Villa's with the points I've already paid for via MF.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to change the topic slightly, but with owners like you both who have lots of weeks/ points, have you ever used or considered using the Villas of Distinction home rentals? It is another Explorer option I'm considering, especially in light of the safety/health issues of being in resorts with many strangers. The Villas look like they have some amazing properties, mostly outside the US for vacations with my family of kids, their spouses and our grand children. Dean, I know you won't like the points value these offer, but instead of booking resort weeks for the foreseeable future, I would consider taking the "hit" in value to try out one of these Villa's with the points I've already paid for via MF.
I've looked at it a fair amount and haven't seen much in terms of availability or prices that interest me. Likely better than most cash type exchange options and worth looking at but certainly not worth buying for or counting on. And they tend to be larger properties more often than not which one may or may not need. Look at it and if something works out, I think it can be reasonable but it's unlikely to be a great deal. Definitely do one's due diligence if they go that route as it's essentially VRBO or Air BnB though maybe an upscale version.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have had this collection of MVC weeks for the past 6 years or so. I have been using them for trading through II for MKO. I have been staying at MKO on average about 40+ weeks a year for the past 6 years. In 2009-2013 we started slower and averaged about 15 weeks annually. I can wait to trade into MKO because I live here on Oahu. If I dont get a trade, I'll just stay home. But we have been trading consistently 20+ weeks for many years.

Out TS stays is our retirement home actually. I also use my weeks for family and friends to stay at MVC, HGVC and DVC properties.

I did have my grand residence in a rental program for the past 9 years. I would rent out about 14 of the 26 weeks and used the non rented mud weeks for trading. Last year, when I enrolled the Grand Residence share, I found out that there is a rental market for DP. I have elected points for the past 2 years and probably in the future on the quarter shares. That was a bonus I did not count on.

We also own 58k+ HGVC points and use these primarily at Hilton Hawaiian Village. This gets us about 8 weeks a year in a std 2br in Lagoon tower. Or about 4 weeks in a 2br unit at Grand Islander.

We used to use our DVC points quiet often. With my son getting older and not wanting to stay at Aulani or DVC locations, I have been renting those points. I still use our Grand California points when we goto Disneyland as that is the only place I want to stay at when visiting DL.

The purchase price of all my MVC resale weeks is pretty reasonable in my opinion. I purchased or was given sixteen resale weeks and two quartershares (had to buy the quartershares). I paid a few thousand more than the 5k DP purchase last year.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frank808, I'm not quite following the calculation you did above regarding a 1/3/5 CD vs. the money you spent for the Aruba week and the enrollment of your other weeks. Yes, we all need to justify the present spend in our own way and figure out the Future value and future costs that way as well.

The $41k I spent (I subtracted the value of the 16k DP points at 60 cents apiece that was a bonus) would be in a ladder 1/3/5 CD to pay the annual lock of and trade fees for these 12 weeks that were enrolled. It is a sunk cost as I have been paying the lock off and trade fees for 8 years at least.

These 12 weeks cost me about $4900 a year in fees. I take the $4900 and divide that into the $41k I spent. With the pitiful amount of interest a CD earns nowadays, it would take about 10 years to empty that account. That is how I based my payback on the purchase. I calculated this purchase as a prepayment to the lock off and exchange fees I would be paying annually.

Since I am in my late 40's, my heir and I will not have to pay exchange or lockoff fees for as long as MVC operates. I am banking on getting at least 20 years of use with no exchange fees.