• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Late departure from HGVC Lagoon Tower

mapsd

Reaction score
Our flight from Honolulu home departs at 8:00 PM on a Tuesday
1. When do we need to depart for the airport?
2. Allowed at late check-out? Or system for luggage storage/getting cleaned up on site?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Many will book an extra night at HHV to allow for late night flight.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Your airline's website has a page listing recommended arrival times.
AA's minimum check-in time w-bags is 45, but that is not enuff time for TSA.
AA's recommended arrival is 1.5 hours before departure, which sounds right.
I'd allow 30 minutes to drive there (it may only take 15). So, leave ~ 6PM.

You could kill the day with a day-tour that drops you back for an early dinner.
They'll hold your luggage.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
AA's recommended arrival is 1.5 hours before departure, which sounds right.
I'd allow 30 minutes to drive there (it may only take 15). So, leave ~ 6PM

On a Tuesday it will not likely be 30 minutes to the airport. That is peak rush hour - I'd give yourself an hour minimum. More if you have a rental car and need to take a shuttle.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mapsd

Reaction score
Does HGVC have luggage storage that could hold our bags while we do something during the day?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does HGVC have luggage storage that could hold our bags while we do something during the day?

Yes they do.

As far as airport, I would leave by 5pm if I was you. Traffic, Rental Car, Agricultural scan, and everything and everybody operating on Hawaiian Island time. I just rather play it safe.

Checkout is by 10am, in a timeshare system, late checkouts are usually not allowed.

Great3

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks.
I'd also considered just renting a car and do a tour of the island on that last day.
Looks like an extra $50 to drop it at the airport instead

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Depends upon whether one has Pre-Check. With that, I would expect 45 minutes to be sufficient, but not plentiful. Without, I'd allow at least 20 minutes more.

Cheers.

mapsd

Reaction score
Depends upon whether one has Pre-Check. With that, I would expect 45 minutes to be sufficient, but not plentiful. Without, I'd allow at least 20 minutes more.
Cheers.
We do have pre-check & we have access to the lounge at the airport, so we considered arriving early and drinking/eating there, so maybe would even leave by 4:00-5:00.

Q: If we wanted to stay in our room right until 10:00, what a good activity right the resort area that would take 5-6 hours?
Time to climb Diamond Head? visit Pearl Harbor?
Are there facilities to clean up before heading to the airport? Don't really want to pack wet swim suits.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do have pre-check & we have access to the lounge at the airport, so we considered arriving early and drinking/eating there, so maybe would even leave by 4:00-5:00.

Q: If we wanted to stay in our room right until 10:00, what a good activity right the resort area that would take 5-6 hours?
Time to climb Diamond Head? visit Pearl Harbor?
Are there facilities to clean up before heading to the airport? Don't really want to pack wet swim suits.

Agree on TSA Pre, but I would never suggest arriving with 45 mins left to anybody without knowing, would feel bad if someone miss the plane. To each his own. Everyone must decide their comfort level of buffer time needed at the airport.

You can use 8th Floor Owners Lounge on Grand Waikikian Tower, they have showers. Ask about it when you checkout, I believe you should be able to get access.

Great3

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree on TSA Pre, but I would never suggest arriving with 45 mins left to anybody without knowing, would feel bad if someone miss the plane. To each his own. Everyone must decide their comfort level of buffer time needed at the airport.

Actually don't know what the hell I was thinking when I wrote that. Even with Pre-Check that's not enough time, as you say. Boarding is maybe T-30, so this only leaves 15 minutes for getting into the airport, getting to the TSA line, getting through and to the gate. Yeah, not really enough. At least 1 hour (and definitely more with lounge access).

Cheers.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a car on our last day with a similar departure time as you. Figuring in the price of a taxi, renting an auto made sense. The best price was through auto slash.

thare

Reaction score
Lounges/food are pretty mediocre at the airport (think regional not international airport). I wouldn't count on the airport at all for food.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...Visit Pearl Harbor?

If you haven't visited Pearl Harbor by then, you absolutely must!
I had no connection to WWII myself, and yet was greatly moved.

I'd allow 2.5 - 3 hours for the ticket line, movie, boat ride, etc.
There also commercial tours of various lengths.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
+1 Pearl Harbor. It is really an all day event.

mapsd

Reaction score
+1 Pearl Harbor. It is really an all day event.
So if we save Pearl Harbor for the final day, would it make more sense to store our bags @ HGVC and uber/tax to Pearl Harbor, then return for our bags and head straight to the airport
OR
rent a car & drive ourselves to everything?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
So if we save Pearl Harbor for the final day, would it make more sense to store our bags @ HGVC and uber/tax to Pearl Harbor, then return for our bags and head straight to the airport
OR
rent a car & drive ourselves to everything?
I would not leave your bags at hhv, go to pearl harbor, drive back to pickup luggage and then head to airport. Pearl harbor is 15 minutes away from the airport.

You can uber to airport and check in luggage in the morning then head to pearl harbor. Or you can rent a car and check in luggage at airport or leave luggage in rental car and go to pearl harbor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
FYI, The Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor is closed indefinitely due to structural damage. There is still a lot to do at Pearl Harbor, we really enjoyed visiting the Battleship Missouri. We have been to that twice, once for the regular tour and then came back on another trip to do the below deck guided tour.

Hsahota1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
Check out before 10, leave your luggage at luggage area. Hike diamond head, enjoy the view, have a nice lunch somewhere in Waikiki, enjoy the beach, head to hotel and use the guest lounge area to shower etc. then head to airport using Charley.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out before 10, leave your luggage at luggage area. Hike diamond head, enjoy the view, have a nice lunch somewhere in Waikiki, enjoy the beach, head to hotel and use the guest lounge area to shower etc. then head to airport using Charley.

Sounds like an excellent plan...except for the Waikiki part. Whenever we go to Oahu (and it is far and away our least favorite of the main islands) we avoid Waikiki like the plague. If I want to go to New York, I'll just go to New York.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
HHV has a courtesy room. You have to sign up for it at the main hotel check-in desk after you check out of HHV (even if you stayed at a timeshare unit). They allow 20 minutes per person. You can take a nice hot shower in a hotel room before you fly back home. We use to do the all the time before we had kids. Now we just book an extra night.

Do not leave your bags in the trunk of your rental car. It would be much easier to just keep your bags with you but a lot of cars get broken into in Hawaii. I see a lot of broken glass in the parking lots at popular sites, beaches, etc.

Eat before you head back to the airport.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
H

Do not leave your bags in the trunk of your rental car. It would be much easier to just keep your bags with you but a lot of cars get broken into in Hawaii. I see a lot of broken glass in the parking lots at popular sites, beaches, etc.

There is risk involved in this, but we've done it a number of times in Hawai'i..as long as we have a car with a proper trunk and not a hatchback. We were recently in Maui, and Avis "upgraded" us to a larger car with a hatchback...and no internal cover. We requested the standard economy sedan that we had booked (there were only 2 of us), and had luggage in the truck in Lahaina for maybe 2 hours.

Cheers.

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Our game plan:
Check out and pick up rental car @ on-site agency.
Plan is to visit Pearl Harbor from noon-5:00, then head to the airport for 8:00 departure.

Q: If we're checked out by 9:00AM, what's a good use of 2-3 hours with a car before visiting Pearl Harbor?
I want get out of Honolulu. Enough time to visit the North Shore? Any scenic drives?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Q: If we're checked out by 9:00AM, what's a good use of 2-3 hours with a car before visiting Pearl Harbor?

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay or just nice drive to that part of the island.

mapsd

Reaction score
Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay or just nice drive to that part of the island.
Hoping to do something that won't need to shower or pack wet clothes in our bags.
(We'll have got a bunch of snorkeling in on the Big Island already).