• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Last Minute Cancellation - What are my options?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So about 6 months ago, I felt like I hit the lottery because I was able to book the Hyatt Mountain Lodge during our daughter's spring break from 3/17 - 3/21.

Vail Resorts decided to close all their North American resorts from 3/15-3/22 (and honestly, I think they'll be closed for at least another week).

This means that Beaver Creek will be closed so we plan on cancelling our trip. While I am sad because I spent a fortune in epic passes and this was going to be the year that our 6 year old was going to become an independent skiier, I support the decision as it is spreading like wildfire in Eagle County.

Below are my questions:

1) I know if I cancel more than a day before check in, I will have my points returned as RCUP, which as I understand it means that I can book anything as long as the checkin is within 60 days.
2) Do you think there is any chance that given the circumstances, they could turn those back into CUP points? I have never had any luck with Hyatt customer support -- I even had points from a week that I purchased turn to LCUP from CUP because they took so long to set up my account....they took at least 45 days, and by the time I got the account, the points had turned to LCUP the week before...lame.
3) Can RCUP points be used for Interval Exchanges?

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Maybe call and talk to: "Member Services" in Orlando at 1-888-619-2988 instead of "Owner Services" in Miami. I do know they are waiving the cancelation fees.

Maybe they have some other options for you. Because I could not rent it this year I just canceled my week 11 peak ski week 3 bedroom "Penthouse:" unit at HMSS on the Friday before the Saturday check-in (3-14-2020) and the points went into LCUP, but then the next day the points moved over to RCUP. So the same thing your anticipating just happened to me.

I'm guessing also that your points are way past the deadline to move to Interval EE. But if you ask them they might try, if that's what you want to do. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck. call them Monday morning !

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I would definitely call. This is unprecedented so they can at least give viable options that showcase their excellent CS.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe call and talk to: "Member Services" in Orlando at 1-888-619-2988 instead of "Owner Services" in Miami. I do know they are waiving the cancelation fees.

Maybe they have some other options for you. Because I could not rent it this year I just canceled my week 11 peak ski week 3 bedroom "Penthouse:" unit at HMSS on the Friday before the Saturday check-in (3-14-2020) and the points went into LCUP, but then the next day the points moved over to RCUP. So the same thing your anticipating just happened to me.

I'm guessing also that your points are way past the deadline to move to Interval EE. But if you ask them they might try, if that's what you want to do. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck. call them Monday morning !

Good idea to move RCUP points into EEE if you you are within the deadline. I did that earlier this year.

You should check to see if you can do an II exchange using the RCUP points if you cannot move points to EEE. Look for a trade up to two years out and book. Add eplus for extra flexibility. Of course I'm not sure if that is within the rules.

Do not be afraid to ask for solutions that work for you. All they can do is say no.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! They aren't closed, should I cancel today and try to see what my options are on Monday?

Edit: I had a typo...they are closed today, should I cancel today, or wait and see what my options are tomorrow?

Last edited:

gratiem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Ka'anapali, Hyatt Highlands, Riviera Beach & Spa
Definitely call. Member Services, 1-888-619-2988, in the message above transferred me to the standard 1 800.GO.HYATT line. If you cancel online, it's standard policy (60 days use). If agents do it, there is a manager override that allows for rebooking within 12 months. Agent was very nice, and appreciate that people are available (even with long wait times).

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely call. Member Services, 1-888-619-2988, in the message above transferred me to the standard 1 800.GO.HYATT line. If you cancel online, it's standard policy (60 days use). If agents do it, there is a manager override that allows for rebooking within 12 months. Agent was very nice, and appreciate that people are available (even with long wait times).
I was waiting for 30+ minutes before I gave up and cancelled online...at least they didn't charge for that. Hoping they can restore the points, but I have my doubts.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

The person that I talked to was very helpful. Here's the quick rundown of my situation:

1) I had previously cancelled my reservation to Mountain Lodge (just this morning) -- which I should NOT have done online. The points are now in RCUP, but they are submitting a request to unrestrict them -- said it could take 24-48 hours to see any changes on the account, but I'm not holding my breath. I guess I should have been more patient this morning, but did not want to lose the points (even if restricted)

2) I had a reservation to return to Beaver Creek in two weeks. I asked her to cancel that as well. The points still in CUP were restored. the other points that are now in LCUP went to LCUP.

I really hope they restore those points but I think I may still be able to use them. Does anyone know if RCUP points can be used for an Interval reservation?

Thanks!

cafeirene

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
how can you use the rcup points if you can't transfer them??

we had to cancel a 4-night stay last month at Carmel and the points from last year were re-deposited in RCUP/LCUP and I can't move them on-line at all.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score
how can you use the rcup points if you can't transfer them??

we had to cancel a 4-night stay last month at Carmel and the points from last year were re-deposited in RCUP/LCUP and I can't move them on-line at all.
You don't transfer them, you can book a week directly on II and it will pull from your Hyatt LCUP. You can not transfer to EEE in LCUP.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does it really pull from LCUP?

I thought it pulled from CUP, RCUP, but not LCUP.

That would be great if I am wrong.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland

Thank you!!!!! We just called and they unrestricted our Kaanapali points. Appreciate you sharing your experience. They were extremely helpful and the wait was not that bad

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!!! We just called and they unrestricted our Kaanapali points. Appreciate you sharing your experience. They were extremely helpful and the wait was not that bad
Had you already cancelled your reservation when you called? They only unrestricted them on a reservation that I hadn't previously cancelled. I may try again if you were successful getting RCUP points restored to CUP.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Had you already cancelled your reservation when you called? They only unrestricted them on a reservation that I hadn't previously cancelled. I may try again if you were successful getting RCUP points restored to CUP.
We had already canceled online They did say it was case by case and up to the rep but that the situation was fluid . We called member services

cafeirene

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
it is fluid alright - I won't repeat me reply that is in the adjacent thread, but now they are stacking up requests but you have to send an email, and the representative spoke so quickly that when I hung up I realized the email looks incomplete or wrong. They closed several hours early today as far as I can tell when I called back. not hopeful, but this isn't looking very promising.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Does it really pull from LCUP?

I thought it pulled from CUP, RCUP, but not LCUP.

That would be great if I am wrong.

I wasn't lucky as some of you who got their points unrestricted.
I cancelled a home stay starting in 1+ weeks, and they only waived the cancellation fee.
My points went to RCUP.

I had another II exchange with Hyatt points that my daughter wasn't going to use.
It took a couple of days (I just kept missing their Eastern time work hours being on Pacific time)
to get to the Hyatt desk for II exchanges. Don't call II.

The Hyatt rep today told me that any future II exchanges would always pull from EEE first and then RCUP. Perhaps if you had LCUP, it would pull that next after EEE. And from RCUP last?

Because my home week is coming up in a week, she told me I would need to use those RCUP points for an II exchange before the start of my use year. I"m not exactly sure why, but likely will just use my RCUP points for an HRC exchange.

I have ePlus on my II exchange, so the rep gave me 2 options:
1. Use the 2 remaining ePlus exchanges, to trade 60 days out on the first, and a little longer on the 2nd. So that takes me from 3/29 check-in date to only about early August.
When my husband first called yesterday he thought the rep could book him out until December,
but today's rep checked her current rules, and said no, only 60 days for each trade. I'll try calling again tomorrow.
2. Cancel reservation and they would issue a 30 day certificate to use by December 31. No additional exchange fee and cannot put ePlus on it.

For option #1, rep said if we still can't use the last ePlus exchange week, then they could go to option #2. However I don't quite trust that their rules won't change again.
I'm not happy about these options.

II-Hyatt is not very accommodating for points exchanges. II is more lenient towards weeks exchanges.

If you need to contact II Hyatt desk for cancelling points exchanges, one of the better numbers to call is:
1-800-622-1861. We were also told to use 1-800-229-3559 ext 7924.
At least the hold time on each of these numbers was not very long at all.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Anybody knows what happens if you make a reservation with RCUP points, and then have to cancel again? Do you get the points back, as long as it's within 6 months after your home week start date?