• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Laptop safe at Desert Springs Villas II?

Catazog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for me that the 1BR villas at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas II have safes big enough for a laptop? Our laptops are not large -- only 14 inches -- but we want to make sure there's a big enough safe in the room before we arrive this Thursday. Thanks!

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
All of the MVCs have more or less the same safes that I've seen...my and my wife's Lenovo 14" units fit in there just fine. To be honest I leave mine out all the time as housekeeping really doesn't come in anymore, and I have mine plugged into a docking station with a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc. so it's a pain to dismantle every time I leave the unit.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
All of the MVCs have more or less the same safes that I've seen...my and my wife's Lenovo 14" units fit in there just fine. To be honest I leave mine out all the time as housekeeping really doesn't come in anymore, and I have mine plugged into a docking station with a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc. so it's a pain to dismantle every time I leave the unit.
Until recently the in-room safe at Barony Beach was very small and actually had a key to lock it. This past year I noticed they upgraded to a larger one and keypad to lock.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody wants your laptop anymore and there is no maid service, so nobody will be coming into your unit anyway. Use the safe for excess cash, jewelry, and maybe a passport & plane tickets you're not wanting to carry around.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We’ve owned timeshare since 1998. Only once has anything in by ever been stolen from unit….. and that was at a Westgate resort and that was a broken camera that must have looked like a prize to the thief. I’d like to have seen the look on their face when they figured out all the pictures would come out with big spots

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
If the "Do Not Disturb" or "Sleeping" or "Resting" sign is hung from the hallway door handle, the staff is forbidden to enter the room, period.
They won't even deliver an item that you just requested from Housekeeping, for example.

So it's a non-issue.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the "Do Not Disturb" or "Sleeping" or "Resting" sign is hung from the hallway door handle, the staff is forbidden to enter the room, period.
They won't even deliver an item that you just requested from Housekeeping, for example.

So it's a non-issue.
Anytime we leave our villa the "Do Not Disturb" or "Sleeping" sign is hung from the hallway door handle.
Plus, we sometime will leave the television on.

Catazog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it!

Reactions: jme

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... and I have mine plugged into a docking station with a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc. so it's a pain to dismantle every time I leave the unit.
But, that's the main reason you have a docking station, so you can EASILY unhook/remove your laptop (like to take with you or place into the safe)!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
But, that's the main reason you have a docking station, so you can EASILY unhook/remove your laptop (like to take with you or place into the safe)!
Easier, not particularly easy to undock put in safe, etc and do the reverse, and start up, etc upon return. Especially when most have had nothing stolen in decades.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Cable locks are pretty cheap. Not as secure as a safe, but it's what my employer requires.

Sheila

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only place the laptop in your luggage and secure it with TSA lock or a pad lock.

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
Last January while staying in Desert Springs I left our travel folder out thinking no one would bother them. The folder had hard copies of our flight tickets, car rental, maps etc. I also had a print out of a $200. vanilla gift card with the handwritten pin. Didn’t try to use it there but when I did several months later it had been used at Ralph’s and Target. Never spent that $$$ at Ralph’s and never went to Target all located in Palm Springs. Apparently someone copied the print out with pin and used it. After verifying and the company researching the charges I was reimbursed. Be careful with papers you leave out! We have owned at the desert since 1992 and have had nothing but positive things to say about the personnel. That printout of gift card never traveled anywhere but the desert otherwise sat in my desk drawer here in the Midwest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Last January while staying in Desert Springs I left our travel folder out thinking no one would bother them. The folder had hard copies of our flight tickets, car rental, maps etc. I also had a print out of a $200. vanilla gift card with the handwritten pin. Didn’t try to use it there but when I did several months later it had been used at Ralph’s and Target. Never spent that $$$ at Ralph’s and never went to Target all located in Palm Springs. Apparently someone copied the print out with pin and used it. After verifying and the company researching the charges I was reimbursed. Be careful with papers you leave out! We have owned at the desert since 1992 and have had nothing but positive things to say about the personnel. That printout of gift card never traveled anywhere but the desert otherwise sat in my desk drawer here in the Midwest.
I would think in order to use it at Ralph’s or Target (unless it was online), they would have needed the physical card. No?

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Platinum Ocean Pointe, Platinum Desert Springs 1, Marbella, Chairmans Club, MarriottVacationClub Points, Paradise Village, Mx.
No physical card! Online gift card. I suspect they took a picture then printed out what they needed to use it!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You stated that the stolen information sat in your desk drawer in the Midwest. Where you at work or at home? Playing the process of elimination.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound liked all purchases were online purchases.
Because the bad guys had the gift card number and the security card number on back of the card. IMHO.

Lesson learned secure all gift card, credit cards and travel information out of sight from the bad guys. IMHO

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no idea as I was not told when it was disputed! Probably right though! I learned a lesson! Keep everything locked away from peering eyes! Thanks !
Happy Thanksgiving !

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually all purchases were made in Palm Desert so if online picked up in the desert! Definitely theft at DSP!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually all purchases were made in Palm Desert so if online picked up in the desert! Definitely theft at DSP!
Sounds liked more and more liked an inside theft.
Step back and enjoy your Blessings and this Thanksgiving Day.

tatmtr7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks! And the same to you!