• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lakewood Resort tour 7-26-08

rsm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers,

A co-worker offered to give me her Lakewood Resort ( Lake of the Ozarks) 2 bedroom timeshare ( blue float weeks) for just the closing costs. She inherited the TS from her mother and her spouse does not like to take vacations.

I stayed at Lakewood in Ocotober 2 years ago with my dad, he had an exchange week there. We were at the Lake of the Ozarks this week, so my husband and I went to Lakewood and took a tour. My friend siad the resort had been updated since I had been there, so I wanted to see it again.

This resort is an older repsort and the remodel of the units maybe brought the look of the condo up to about the 1970's in your grandmother's house. Horrible blue sculpted carpet in the living room, hallway and bedrooms. Commercial carpet on the dining area and kitchen floors and oak cabinets and white appliances in the kitchen. Blue fabirc on the furniture, old style TV sets.

But maybe the worst aspect was the fact the condo smelled smoky. I asked the tour guide about smoking policies and he said when the original deeds and agreements were done nothing was put in them about smoking. So all units are "smoking units" and they encourage people to smoke outside on the deck and after people check out, they use an ozone machine to clean and purify the air.

I would not even take the "free week" my friend is offering, not worth it ! I do not know who on HOA board selected the carpets and furniture for the "updates" but they were not in tune with modern decorating trends in the least. I thought the overall look was drab and depressing, not at all like a fun, lakeside resort should be.

Just wanted to share my impressions.

bltfam

Reaction score
"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!"
We had the chance to get a summer week at this resort for "almost free"
and we passed on it and bought in Vintage Landing for more money. I like the fact that you get free boat time at Lakewood but concidering the resorts that we are used to staying at I wasnt certain if we would like it at Lakewood this was when we thought it was just a older resort still updated and kept nice so thanks for posting your thoughts I am relieved that we didnt go with Lakewood

rsm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vintage Landing

My dad and step-mom stayed at Vintage Landing last week in a studio unit using up some time they had banked with RCI. I didn't go see their unit, but they said it was okay, they are used to larger one bedroom units and so of course the studio seemed small to them. But they said it was clean and in good repair,etc. Hope you like it !

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
the only thing updated in the units were the kitchens in buildings 2 thru 5.

It still keeps its gold crown rating and i have had great trades with my off season week.

I would be interested in that "almost free" fixed summer week.

I don't care for the blue carpeting either, but we have always enjoyed our stay at the resort. white appliances are not what I use to evaluate a resort. I hope people aren't talking about me when they leave my house, oh my goodness she has oak cabinets in her house, how 70's.
We stayed in one resort last week with the most awful decor and lack of amenities that you ever saw.

rsm

TUG Member
Reaction score
almost free week

As I said , what I most objected to was the smoky smell in the init we toured and the fact they allow smoking in all units-most undesirable. My friend is going to see if any she knows wants the week before she tries to sell it, and it is not a fixed summer week, it is a floating blue week. I am glad you enjoy the resort.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
we were stuck once in a very smoky unit (out of many times we have been there). I am curious if it was on the bottom floor of the building the office is in. Most of the units are not smoky, But not any more so than any other resort which allows or forbids smoking. (people do it anyway). that building is totally different than the other buldings , has a few comforts they don't have, but some disadvantages too.

I am not interested in a blue week, and she probably won't get anything for it. someone is turning down a supposed fixed red week because of your post, and that is the one I would be interested in.

I just made some more trades with my Lakewood week this weekend, Galleon in Key West for Nov. Orlando in March, spring break, a HGVC on the Atlantic side in Nov 09, I've been to Hawaii, San Diego, New Orleans, HHI, etc, always gold crown with my trades through Lakewood and I don't own a summer week.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to the manager of Lakewood, I own a floating week there.

This is her response:

"Here is the information contained in the Unit Binder - under Resort Guidelines:
NON-SMOKING UNITS

In the interest of today's health conscious attitudes, we suggest that smoking be taken outside the unit, i.e. on the deck. As for cigars and pipes, we ask that you refrain from smoking inside at all times. As a reminder their is no smoking allowed in the common areas, i.e. Resort Office, Clubhouse, and Game Room. All smoking maaterials should be disposed of in the proper containers and not thrown on the grounds."

I then asked about designating the resort non-smoking

"During Float time, we might be able to designate specific units as Non-Smoking; however since we have FIXED weeks then we could not offer a specific unit(s) as Non-Smoking.

Also, since we are Ownership and Owners may have purchased years ago when there was not a specific unit designated Non-Smoking, and we are not like a motel/hotel we do not have to comply with the same rules as a totally commercial rental entity like a motel/hotel.

The Resort has purchased two Ozone Machines to use in units specifically for this reason when odors of any sort are detected, even things such as cooking fish or syrup smells. We have been very successful with this approach and very, very seldom have further complaints once the Ozone has been used."

At some of the other timeshares that I own, smoking is allowed on the deck.

I have had good luck with my floating week and exchanges with RCI, too. I would think a fixed summer week would be a good trader. A lot of folks from St. Louis, Kansas City, etc. go to Lake of the Ozarks during the summer.

There are two different type of floats.

Last edited:

rsm

TUG Member
Reaction score
reply tp rapmarks

The poster had already turned down the summer week at Lakewood, she did not turn it down because of my post, if you read her post carefully. I am not sure how Lakewood earns a Gold Crown rating, it is not a "first class" type of resort with deluxe units or amenitiies. I am sure you are a seasoned TS owner and exchanger and I am just trying to learn about TS before I rent or buy a unit, so our viewpoints are different.

During the tour they gave me handout with weeks that are for sale at pretty low prices, including summer weeks. If you do want a summer week you might want to request a copy of the list from the resort.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
my idea is I'll give them two float weeks and they give me a summer week. Of course it will never go. I don't need a third maintenance fee there.
I too am surprised they keep the gold crown rating, but they give good service and a very clean unit, and I think there are more amenities than you are aware of, especially for those that come for water sports. anyhow they must get good reviews from RCI guests.

I hate having to call in for my week., you have no idea how hard it is. the way it looks it will be pretty hard to even give away the float weeks.
I emailed Cheryl abut the smoking issue and she never responded, so thanks Riverdee.

Greg

TUG Member
Reaction score
We enjoyed our stay at Lakewood very much when we exchanged for a September week. The unit was well maintained and staff were helpful and courteous. (We met the Marks while there - nice couple and friendly to us strangers.)

IMO, the gold crown status for this resort gets a big boost from the free boat rentals for the owners and being located right on the lake. A nice resort.

Greg

bransonvrs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tuggers,

A co-worker offered to give me her Lakewood Resort ( Lake of the Ozarks) 2 bedroom timeshare ( blue float weeks) for just the closing costs. She inherited the TS from her mother and her spouse does not like to take vacations.

I stayed at Lakewood in Ocotober 2 years ago with my dad, he had an exchange week there. We were at the Lake of the Ozarks this week, so my husband and I went to Lakewood and took a tour. My friend siad the resort had been updated since I had been there, so I wanted to see it again.

This resort is an older repsort and the remodel of the units maybe brought the look of the condo up to about the 1970's in your grandmother's house. Horrible blue sculpted carpet in the living room, hallway and bedrooms. Commercial carpet on the dining area and kitchen floors and oak cabinets and white appliances in the kitchen. Blue fabirc on the furniture, old style TV sets.

But maybe the worst aspect was the fact the condo smelled smoky. I asked the tour guide about smoking policies and he said when the original deeds and agreements were done nothing was put in them about smoking. So all units are "smoking units" and they encourage people to smoke outside on the deck and after people check out, they use an ozone machine to clean and purify the air.

I would not even take the "free week" my friend is offering, not worth it ! I do not know who on HOA board selected the carpets and furniture for the "updates" but they were not in tune with modern decorating trends in the least. I thought the overall look was drab and depressing, not at all like a fun, lakeside resort should be.

Just wanted to share my impressions.
I am interested in purchasing at Lakewood Resort. Do you know if your friend is still looking to get rid of her week?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original post was from 2008. But I am sure you could find a week pretty cheap. I sold mine for $250 each, no closing costs