• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lake Tahoe

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My daughter lives in Truckee and the smoke is pretty bad, although she said that it was better yesterday. It depends on the winds and in which direction they are moving plus the size of the fire.

For reference, we were in South Lake Tahoe for a week last September. We had good days where it was clear enough to hike, and we had days where you really couldn't see the lake. We contemplated driving somewhere, anywhere without smoke and our best option at the time (Lassen National Park) was a three hour drive. The next day we woke up to clear skies, so you just can't predict the smoke. One other data point, like you I was watching the weather (we were driving) and a few days before our week started the fire that had been raging had gotten under control, smoke was clearing, and so we left for our 10 hour drive early in the morning, a Sunday I think. By the time we got to the Topaz Lake area we could see smoke. It turned out that lightning had started a fire the night before and that was the fire/smoke that we had to contend with all week. There is simply no way of predicting the fire behavior. I think that for decision making, the only thing that you can consider is *your* response - will it ruin your trip or will you have a good time no matter what? Is this a trip where you want to be outside for the whole trip or will you happily spend some time inside? Does anyone in your group have respiratory issues?

That said we still had a good time, but not as good as it would have been without the smoke but we were really there to spend time with our kids. My husband rolls with the punches better that I do (because I am all about my photos) and he was bothered a lot less than I was.

On the road between Sand Harbor & Incline on a Monday (2020 trip)
driving to truckee.jpg

Sand Harbor on Tuesday, next day (2020 trip)

sand harbor kayak.jpg

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are getting smoke from the fires in California here in New Mexico, and it's pretty bad. I can't imagine how much worse it is in California.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are getting smoke from the fires in California here in New Mexico, and it's pretty bad. I can't imagine how much worse it is in California.

I could have left salmon outside in Vegas to cold smoke it Saturday.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

We left Vegas Saturday and when we woke up, we could only barely see The Wynn from our room in Elara. It was bad.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
Anu updates on air quality in the Tahoe basin?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Come on now, quit with the ridiculous exagerration.

There is no way conditions in Las Vegas are appropriate to cold smoke a salmon.

You expect us to believe it has been below 90 degrees for an extended period of time in August?!?!

;)

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
Any updates on the smoke and weather conditions at Lake Tahoe?

Been checking https://www2.purpleair.com/ and https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Safety/Current/ plus looking at https://www.gotahoenorth.com/webcams/ None of it looks good, but would like some in put from someone that has been there. We have a trip from Tennessee to North Lake Tahoe in a couple weeks and trying to decide what to do because of the wild fires, COVID, jet fuel shortage, etc. Crazy times.
We are going to north tahoe in 2 weeks. There is smoke but it should be clearer by then.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We live an hour from Tahoe. The sky is clear today.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going to north tahoe in 2 weeks. There is smoke but it should be clearer by then.
Curious why do you think it should be clear by then? It looks like it keeps getting worse. We are supposed to leave for South Lake Tahoe 8/28 and we are thinking of cancelling because of the bad air quality. We just don't know what to do

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I can say from first hand experience last night that the Timber Lodge air filter is not enough to keep 190+ AQI smoke out of the room, and we had our air purifier running all night.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can say from first hand experience last night that the Timber Lodge air filter is not enough to keep 190+ AQI smoke out of the room, and we had our air purifier running all night.
How long have you been there for? Are you finding the air quality an issue doing things outdoors?

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
How long have you been there for? Are you finding the air quality an issue doing things outdoors?
We've only been here a couple days. Air quality is really day to day depending on the wind. We sat down yesterday for lunch outdoors, you could barely smell any smoke, by the end of lunch is was nearly unbearable. Went grocery shopping after and I was glad to wear 2 face masks to get from the car into the store. This morning is much better, I guess technically classified as "unhealthy for sensitive groups" but looks to be trending worse. I think that's the pattern in the afternoon. They just closed all the National parks on the west side of the lake because of fire hazard. We're guessing they will probably cancel the outdoor concert that we have tickets for tomorrow night, not only because of air quality, but also because the major highway into town is closed.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if it doesn’t look or smell smoky, check to see what the level of PM 2.5 is. That‘s the stuff from wildfires that gets into your lungs.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We only lasted 3 days. The air purifier we brought with us was not enough to keep up with the intense smoke, so we sat there in our room not wanting to breath in. I'm not particularly sensitive, but the whole time I could feel it in my nasal passages and my throat, and I would get a headache at the same time every day when the smoke got worse. While we were there, the mornings definitely were better air quality, but even at that level it is unhealthy, and then just deteriorated around Noon to hazardous levels for the rest of the day. We never saw the sun those days. I'm hearing that maybe Thursday might be a little better, but then this weekend the wind will shift again, which means probably more active fire weather. It's still going to be day-to-day and any improvement in air quality will probably be only temporary. I don't think things will be back to normal without rain.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sadly we cancelled our trip again. Last year we postponed because of Covid. This year again because of the fires

macmanrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Costa Sur PV Mexico
We cancelled our trip for next week to much smoke

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here are two excellent resources with the latest on the fire. Looks like South Lake Tahoe may miss a bullet if they can get through the winds this afternoon.

1 Sept AM Fire UPDATE Caldor/Dixie - YouTube

Apparently they have been using the snow making equipment at the ski resorts to add humidity and moisture to the ground.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here are two excellent resources with the latest on the fire. Looks like South Lake Tahoe may miss a bullet if they can get through the winds this afternoon.

1 Sept AM Fire UPDATE Caldor/Dixie - YouTube

Apparently they have been using the snow making equipment at the ski resorts to add humidity and moisture to the ground.
Thanks for this post. I saw their YouTube video on Twitter the other day but forgot to save it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)