• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lack of Points Usage due to COVID-19

hedgieb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC
Are there any other owners of points that are now unable to use their points due to COVID-19 and since it is past the "Bank" date, are frustrated with lack of reasonable options for points usage? Wouldn't "Force Majeure" be applicable?

Would like to see if there is a large contingent that would get behind this.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Not sure when the end of your Use Year is, but have you looked at making a ressie and then canceling inside of 60 days so that they go into a 120 holding account, and with the new policy, they would have an end date of 12/31/21 assuming they treat non calendar Use Year points the same as calendar Use Year points.

hedgieb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC
Not sure when the end of your Use Year is, but have you looked at making a ressie and then canceling inside of 60 days so that they go into a 120 holding account, and with the new policy, they would have an end date of 12/31/21 assuming they treat non calendar Use Year points the same as calendar Use Year points.
That is a good idea. I just feel as though they should extend the requirements...
Thank you for the advice!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Here is the current policy if it helps....

Cancelling a Reservation Made with Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points Within 60 Days of Arrival:

•If you are seeking to cancel your reservation and due to arrive 1 – 60 days from the day you cancel: Vacation Club Points will be returned to a Holding Account, however the Points Premium (if any) will be forfeited. ◦For Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Points expiring anytime in 2020 or 2021 and placed into a Holding Account, the expiration deadline will be extended through December 31, 2021, and can be used for a villa reservation or select Explorer offerings within 120 days of arrival instead of the previous 60 days of arrival. The December 31, 2021 extension will be made to your account within two weeks.

•If you are seeking to cancel your reservation on the date of arrival or while staying at one of our resorts, Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points will not be returned.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any other owners of points that are now unable to use their points due to COVID-19 and since it is past the "Bank" date, are frustrated with lack of reasonable options for points usage?
The banking deadline is not until 6 months (or 4 months) from end of use year.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
But pure Trust points can have a non-calendar use year, so as an example April 30 could be the end of OP’s Use Year.

hedgieb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC
Yeah... The end of my use year is the end of April, I believe. I had one reservation so I took @Fasttr 's advice and booked another, then cancelled them both. I still lost 130 points, but better than nothing and having them to use until the end of December will help...

Thanks to all!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you are going to use a reservation near the end of your use year, sometimes it pays to borrow those points from the next use year, and bank ones in your current use year. So, use borrowed points to make reservations. So, for this one, if they were next years points (and it wasn't a special case like the virus), the cancelled borrowed points would go back to your NEXT use year as opposed to the current use year. Just a trick you may want to use in the future.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any other owners of points that are now unable to use their points due to COVID-19 and since it is past the "Bank" date, are frustrated with lack of reasonable options for points usage? Wouldn't "Force Majeure" be applicable?

Would like to see if there is a large contingent that would get behind this.

Thanks in advance!
Specific to your original question, I don't think so unless you were in the process of buying at the current time. This is EXACTLY the same as if you owned a condo and this happened.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another way of looking at it, you are not in a vacation club. You are a part owner, which is why Deans comment applies. As an owner, the risk is yours. When you rent, the risk is theirs.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
But pure Trust points can have a non-calendar use year, so as an example April 30 could be the end of OP’s Use Year.
Didn't know that. Bought resale points and they had calendar use year so assumed that was always the case. Thanks

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you are going to use a reservation near the end of your use year, sometimes it pays to borrow those points from the next use year, and bank ones in your current use year. So, use borrowed points to make reservations. So, for this one, if they were next years points (and it wasn't a special case like the virus), the cancelled borrowed points would go back to your NEXT use year as opposed to the current use year. Just a trick you may want to use in the future.
Steve, there was a discussion on Facebook re whether points that have been borrowed (then reservation cancelled) go back into the original use year, but then cannot be banned or transferred. I’m not sure, but I don’t think this is true. (The Facebook participant actually quoted the POS) that’s not true, is it?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Didn't know that. Bought resale points and they had calendar use year so assumed that was always the case. Thanks

I did not fully understand this when we first bought, and got started with Aug 1st usage date. That works fine, but does mean i have to track the use and banking dates different from most.. plus it does limit the number of resale opportunities.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Previously the points remained in the UY they were borrowed to but from what I can tell, this changed a few months ago and they now can be used through their original expiration but cannot be banked. Even when being discussed here recently on TUG, the website still said they expired and could not be unborrowed but I was told by customer service this had changed and it appears that's accurate. Here's the current info from the FAQ.
Once borrowed, Vacation Club Points will expire during the original expiration date and cannot be banked or transferred

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, there was a discussion on Facebook re whether points that have been borrowed (then reservation cancelled) go back into the original use year, but then cannot be banned or transferred. I’m not sure, but I don’t think this is true. (The Facebook participant actually quoted the POS) that’s not true, is it?

I posted a link to the official docs in some other thread. The points to back into their original use year. In that year, they cannot then be borrowed on banked, that part is true. However, what you are left with is over a year to use those possibly restricted points (if you cancelled within 60 days), vs, just end of current year. And when your reservation is only a couple of months from year end, you likely lose them if you didn't use the borrow trick.

I have done this for many years, it is not a recent change.

Here's a document from 2017: https://www.marriottvacationsworldw...20171031/nato/exchange_procedures_english.pdf

An excerpt:

Borrowed Exchange Points in a Program Member’s Holding Account expire at the end of the Use Year from which such Exchange Points were borrowed.

This has been discussed by me and a few others many times in the past years.

Here is a link that details when they changed it, 2015:

Read that post and below where fasttr posts old and new docs.

Last edited: