• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko'Olina has stopped building

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting news. They've stopped building the newest building at Ko'Olina resort. I just spoke with one of the contractors at the site and he told me that not only have they stopped building, but they've also taken down the huge crane needed to finish the building. The contractors tried to talk them out of that and encouraged them to at least finish the facade of the building, but they decided to take down the crane and cease all building.

So, the new building is just an empty concrete shell with what seems like no near term plans of finishing it.

Sales must be really down.

I live only a few miles away and I'll take a drive out there in a few days to see it for myself.

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure this is correct. I was there a few weeks ago and the building under construction (the third of four) looked like it was very advanced and wouldn't have need of a crane. To me it looked like they just needed to work on the interior. It is slated to open in Jan 09 according to the sales staff.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm only reporting what a contractor who works on the site told me. He said that they were told to cease all operations and all the contractors were pulled off the site.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales must be really down.
It's not an issue of sales...

Marriott has been having to rework many of their credit lines, as they were tied to Lehman Brothers.. Once the new paperwork is completed, they'll restart construction.. I'm not surprised on the crane news- those are rented on a per day basis- so if you expect a delay of a month of so- it makes sense to pull it down.

They are reported as also having to rework their credit lines for the new Ritz Carlton project and the Grande Lakes project.

McFail

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yikes, then it does sound like they are stuck in the credit crunch. I wonder if they have released rooms for occupancy that may not be ready.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yikes, then it does sound like they are stuck in the credit crunch. I wonder if they have released rooms for occupancy that may not be ready.

If they did, some of those people may have reservations made for 2009 also. With occupancy in early 2009 people would have started making those rservations 6 or more months ago. They may not have a unit to stay in. I wonder what Marriott will do for these people?

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I'm Looking at the Site now.....

I have a wonderful view of the construction site (ok, a nicer view would be better, but I was assigned Garden View, and now I can see the ocean, improvement?).

Unfortunately it's saturday, so there shouldn't be any work today, but I'll know Monday morning if they start. The building itself is built. The front facade is on and painted, the rear still has scafolding all the way to the top floor. I see windows and doors installed on the front, but nothing on the back.

If the construction is stopped, I would hope that they would at least attempt to seal the exterior, otherwise the local critters will have a very nice home.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope they finish it by July.
I have requested my oceanview room to be in that new building. :)

Terry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The link doesn't appear to work.

I just clicked on both links, yours and mine, and they worked just fine.

Try this - copy & paste and then remove the space at the end.
money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200810101323DOWJONESDJONLINE000787_FORTUNE5. htm

Terry

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just clicked on both links, yours and mine, and they worked just fine.

Try this - copy & paste and then remove the space at the end.
money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200810101323DOWJONESDJONLINE000787_FORTUNE5. htm

Terry

It's working now when I click the link.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
the link isn't working now for me either

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
the link isn't working now for me either

I think this is a problem with CNNMoney.com. At first yesterday it wasn't working for me, then it was, and again it is not working.

Last edited:

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent two weeks at Ko'Olina in September.
A staff member told us that the new building will be opening in early 2009.
But... it'll be opening "in phases"

50% (Left side of the building as viewed from the beach) will be operational first.

Graceville

Reaction score
New pool?

Do you know if the new pool (with river "slide") has opened in the new section of Ko Olina, and if not, when it is due to open?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina used to have a notice on my-vacationclub.com website that stated construction would continue through January 2007, which I believe was the completion of building 3. Now the website says:
Construction of our next phase began on April 1, and will continue until July 2009. Construction times are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and may include weekends. Every effort is being made to ensure minimal inconvenience. No site activities or amenities will be interrupted.

Obviously, this is not long enough a time period to be any major construction, so I bet it is construction of the pool. I'll be there in July. I sure hope if it is a pool, they will be finished by the time we get there.

Terry

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Ko Olina October 11-18th. The outside of the building was done. There was construction on/around the building. We didn't look that closely, but we could hear work being done. It appeared to be on the ground level around building where check-in and valet/parking, and possibly inside where the lobby would be. The units closest to the ocean were empty, and did not appear to have any work being done.
Darlene

rpw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ko Olina, Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
The pools already looked complete

We were there in October also. The pools in front of the new towers looked complete, and I seem to recall the grills were already set up. unfortunately the whole area was blocked by construction fencing.

:bawl: I want to go back......

Graceville

Reaction score
I am at Ko Olina now. The new building is complete, and I am told will open on January 2, 2009. The pool looks great and is being cleaned. The is furniture in the rooms and on the balconies. (Only half the building will open, as it is only 25% sold, I am told.)