• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kona Coast Resort exchange

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My II exchange for a 3BR unit somewhere either on Kauai or Big Island was fulfilled at the Kona Coast Resort on the Big Island for a week in mid-June. I am wondering whether someone can tell me anything about the 3 BR units. I have not been able to find any description of them. I assume they are in phase I. Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. What is the floor plan for a 3BR?
2. I have heard many units are being updated. Any idea whether the 3BR units will be updated by mid-June?
3. I have heard the phase 1 units are larger than the phase II units. What are the 3BR units like?
4. We have invited my daughter's in-laws to come with us. So, we will need to park 2 cars. Will the resort allow us to do that?

Thanks for any current information about the Kona Coast Resort anyone can provide. I have never been to resort, and know nothing about it. In fact, I have been to the Big Island in several years.

Last edited:

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner there thru Shell. I have only stayed in Phase II. Those are older, but I am pretty sure they face the ocean, without other units blocking the view.

We like KCR. I don't know about 2 cars, but when we have stayed there in mid June, parking hasn't been an issue. In June I would recommend paying the extra, maybe $10/day, for air conditioning.

I would call the resort directly with your questions. I have always found them to be helpful.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just there for the week after New Year's, in Phase II. They are re-doing all of the buildings, with about two buildings out at a time. We really liked this resort--it's in a great location for exploring the island. And a fantastic farmer's market in the shopping center across the road.

The units are yuuuuuuuuuuge. I can only imagine how big the 3BR ones are.

You can easily park two cars, without an issue. The resort is laid out more like a nice condo/apartment complex, with medium density, and no buildings above three floors, I think.

hotcoffee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did eventually call the resort with questions. Here is what I have found out:

1. Parking should not be a problem. They do not mind guests having two cars.
2. The 3BR units are in the older phase 1 (buildings 7 & 8).
3. There are only a few 3BR units, and they do not have floor plans available.
4. The 3 BR units are two-story, and according to the person I talked to, the building they are in is only two-stories. So, there is no one above or below those units.
5. The 3 BR units are very large - about 2500 sq. ft. That is bigger than my house.
6. The 3BR units were originally built as condos and have garages. However, apparently the resort sometimes puts equipment in them. So, they may or may not be usable for guests.
7. The buildings in the section that the 3 BR units are in have not yet been renovated.

Thanks for those who added comments. I am looking forward to staying at this resort. Since I am a Marriott owner, I never get a chance to go to the Big Island. So, it has been years since I have been there.