• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Koala warns Wyndham is cancelling reservations based on Wyndham's "updated policy" Anyone know what's up?

Jethro37

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham:
Canterbury
Bali Hai
Got an email from Koala warning Wyndham had cancelled several reservations and I should check mine.

Mine appear to be in tact, though I have yet to apply a guest certificate and add the guests name. I planned on doing a couple a year in keeping with their blackout policy on non-accompanied guests and my freebie guest certificates.

Do y'all think I'll have trouble when i go to add the cerficates? Also, do I need to apply the guests to the reservation before the 48 hour to checkin day window?

Thanks for your input.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
Got an email from Koala warning Wyndham had cancelled several reservations and I should check mine.

Mine appear to be in tact, though I have yet to apply a guest certificate and add the guests name. I planned on doing a couple a year in keeping with their blackout policy on non-accompanied guests and my freebie guest certificates.

Do y'all think I'll have trouble when i go to add the cerficates? Also, do I need to apply the guests to the reservation before the 48 hour to checkin day window?

Thanks for your input.

I've seen a couple of FB posts where people are complaining that they had reservations cancelled. These were cases where a user had multiple (often 2) overlapping reservations in the same name.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
got the e-mail as well. None of mine (and I have a bunch because of all my co-vid points that were moved forward). Any of mine that overlap are not in the same name or have a guest cert already applied. They also don't run afoul of the blackout dates

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I've seen a couple of FB posts where people are complaining that they had reservations cancelled. These were cases where a user had multiple (often 2) overlapping reservations in the same name.
That is exactly right. That is what is happening. It happened to some of ours. None of ours were rented already, so no big deal. Be sure to update guest names as you get money deposits from your renters, if you rent, and you should be okay.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I think Koala is just being pro-active, trying to avoid having to tell customer-renters that the listing is in error and that the underlying reservation does not exist.

[edit} It's a credibility issue for Koala. Along the same vein, Koala sends rather frequent emails requesting listings be reviewed.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I think Koala is being pro-active, trying to avoid having to tell customer-renters that the listing is in error and that the underlying reservation does not exist.
It's their reputation on the line. I think it's a wise move, especially since 3 of ours were cancelled. We are fortunate that we have all of our kids' names on the account and can have five names on the same dates.

Wyndham is a mess.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
From what we have gathered, it's due to one of two primary causes:

1. Overlapping reservations in the same name that haven't been corrected by the owner (who should know better than to do this in the first place).
2. Owners who have already received "cease and desist" letters for commercial activity - that continue to rent for commercial purposes. This very small subset of owners should not be surprised that rental reservations are being canceled as they have been legally warned already to cease and desist.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

1. Overlapping reservations in the same name that haven't been corrected by the owner (who should know better than to do this in the first place).
2. Owners who have already received "cease and desist" letters for commercial activity - that continue to rent for commercial purposes. This very small subset of owners should not be surprised that rental reservations are being canceled as they have been legally warned already to cease and desist.
Oh, yes, all of those evil people who rent should be punished by Corporate Wyndham for doing what they have always done and were encouraged to do by salespeople.

It is really about overlapping reservations with the same name on them. Add names if you have rentals that comply with Wyndham's new rules against renting on weekends, etc. Whatever the dates and rules are. I have not a clue.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
This is exactly what I've been seeing in multiple FB groups. They all seemed to hit at once. Many owners even seemed to know the policy, they just apparently assumed that since they'd been able to get by without having same-name overlapping reservations canceled up to this point, that they could continue to do so. Welp.

troy12n

Reaction score
Once again, here's my "world's smallest fiddle" playing in sorrow for all the renters who got caught with their panties down at 3am.

This is not a "new policy", this is not "big bad wyndham", this is enforcement of a rule which has to my knowledge existed for years.

This is about people trying to avoid paying for something (a GC) that they KNOW they have to.

This is about wanting a free ride. This is about lack of responsibility and accountability. By people who know, or should know it.

One of the people complaining on facebook says their MF exceed $15,000 per month and had 16 concurrent reservations cancelled, which to me is a dead giveaway that they are a mega renter...

Boo hoo... I applaud Wyndham for taking steps toward thwarting system abuse.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I’m getting a little tired of the “we’ve always done it” defense. That doesn’t fly. Even if you did it for years and got away with it, you have been warned for at least the last couple of years, and really, going back to 2017, that it’s over. If I broke the speed limit for 10 years and didn’t get caught, that doesn’t mean the police are giving me permission to keep doing it. If they catch me, they will write me a ticket and if I tell the judge I’ve been speeding for 10 years and getting away with it so they can’t fine me now, the judge will laugh me out of court. If you are running a commercial enterprise with your Wyndham timeshare, you are breaking the terms of the contract THAT YOU SIGNED! Does your signature mean nothing?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
This is exactly what I've been seeing in multiple FB groups. They all seemed to hit at once. Many owners even seemed to know the policy, they just apparently assumed that since they'd been able to get by without having same-name overlapping reservations canceled up to this point, that they could continue to do so. Welp.

Wondering aloud if they just ran a script to shore up these duplicate reservations manually - or if the back end team has implemented a new process that will do this automatically on an ongoing basis moving forward. Only time will tell.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
One of the people complaining on facebook says their MF exceed $15,000 per month and had 16 concurrent reservations cancelled, which to me is a dead giveaway that they are a mega renter...
The $15k person and the 16 reservations person are two different people. Also, the 16 reservations person never said that all 16 were all concurrent with each other. They could have had 8 different timeframes with 2 concurrent reservations for all we know.

EDIT: And it was $15k per year, not per month.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Such nastiness, a huge reason I've not been posting so much. But here goes...

Overlapping reservations hasn't been allowed for a really long time. So comments about finally getting caught, looking for free rides, are really out of line (and make you look ugly).

There used to be warnings/alerts so people were aware of an overlapping reservation. That functionality was lost a few years back. Wyndham was warning if you had more than 2 overlapping reservations. I assumed due to them either on purpose allowin 2 or to compensate for the lost alerts, they were allowing 2 before even warning (and I would assume cancelling - all along folks - again, this is not a new policy).

My guess is someone tweaked the algorithm back to 1. A shame that people likely found out the hard way not to overlap at all.

And again, the reporting fuctionality super sucks. Since we got the lovely 3 per page transaction view, it is no longer visible on the coming reservations page who the owner or guest on the reservation is.

I've identified 2 system issues that made owners vulnerable to what's going on. If people got caught with their pants down, it's cause Wyndham pulled em down. Were owners set up?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
The $15k person and the 16 reservations person are two different people. Also, the 16 reservations person never said that all 16 were all concurrent with each other. They could have had 8 different timeframes with 2 concurrent reservations for all we know.

Troy has a narrative. Don't mess it up with facts.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Such nastiness, a huge reason I've not been posting so much. But here goes...

Overlapping reservations hasn't been allowed for a really long time. So comments about finally getting caught, looking for free rides, are really out of line (and make you look ugly).

There used to be warnings/alerts so people were aware of an overlapping reservation. That functionality was lost a few years back. Wyndham was warning if you had more than 2 overlapping reservations. I assumed due to them either on purpose allowin 2 or to compensate for the lost alerts, they were allowing 2 before even warning (and I would assume cancelling - all along folks - again, this is not a new policy).

My guess is someone tweaked the algorithm back to 1. A shame that people likely found out the hard way not to overlap at all.

And again, the reporting fuctionality super sucks. Since we got the lovely 3 per page transaction view, it is no longer visible on the coming reservations page who the owner or guest on the reservation is.

I've identified 2 system issues that made owners vulnerable to what's going on. If people got caught with their pants down, it's cause Wyndham pulled em down. Were owners set up?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I have received the warning about overlapping reservations when I have booked reservations that overlapped by six or seven nights. I knew what I was doing -- I was going to change the traveler or cancel one of them.

However, if you book reservations that start with different days of the week, it's pretty easy to book reservations that overlap by one night. I've never been warned about those. I only find those on my Excel sheet.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once again, here's my "world's smallest fiddle" playing in sorrow for all the renters who got caught with their panties down at 3am.

This is not a "new policy", this is not "big bad wyndham", this is enforcement of a rule which has to my knowledge existed for years.

This is about people trying to avoid paying for something (a GC) that they KNOW they have to.

This is about wanting a free ride. This is about lack of responsibility and accountability. By people who know, or should know it.

Boo hoo... I applaud Wyndham for taking steps toward thwarting system abuse.

Do you know any other songs? This one has been old for a long time.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Extra Holidays has a lot of May rentals at Bonnet Creek. What's good for the gander is not always good for the Wyndham goose (who lays the golden egg).

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m getting a little tired of the “we’ve always done it” defense. That doesn’t fly. Even if you did it for years and got away with it, you have been warned for at least the last couple of years, and really, going back to 2017, that it’s over. If I broke the speed limit for 10 years and didn’t get caught, that doesn’t mean the police are giving me permission to keep doing it. If they catch me, they will write me a ticket and if I tell the judge I’ve been speeding for 10 years and getting away with it so they can’t fine me now, the judge will laugh me out of court. If you are running a commercial enterprise with your Wyndham timeshare, you are breaking the terms of the contract THAT YOU SIGNED! Does your signature mean nothing?
We had a lawyer look at our contract from 2007. No such wording.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham's website is so much harder to use than it used to be. Now they messed up WorldMark's website. It was so nice before.

Reaction score
@HitchHiker71

When you say "from what we have gathered" - is the "we" your Wyndham contacts? Or, some other group?

I've only seen FB posts where reservations with name duplicates were cancelled. Have you seen other cases? Ones that support further targeting of commercial activity? I'm also curious as to how owners were "legally" notified? I saw posts of owners who were sent letters. I suppose the sending of letters is legal, your choice of words sounded like it was something more official than that.
I'm asking as we have a large account that we share with our family and extended family, as well as some rentals. (yep, as suggested by the lovely sales team).

We are modifying how we use our Wyndham membership. Our family is now trying to go on fewer longer trips with our extended family so that an owner is present. Long term, we might add our extended family to one of our smaller contracts. Frustrating that we are having to even consider doing this.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In the blue corner, weighing in at 10,234,000 points we have the mega renters. In the red corner it is the remaining owners weighing in at 10,500,000 points. The referee officiating the match has a heavy bias on one side....

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In the blue corner, weighing in at 10,234,000 points we have the mega renters. In the red corner it is the remaining owners weighing in at 10,500,000 points. The referee officiating the match has a heavy bias on one side....
So very true.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

That’s not out of sight really - I pay about half of that now for just over 1.4mm points annually with my PICs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
We had a lawyer look at our contract from 2007. No such wording.

IIRC it’s not in the frontline contracts it’s embedded in the underlying trust documentation that the contracts reference. The generic statement in the Member Directory wasn’t put in until 2012 timeframe I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk