• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Koala Booking-Advise/Experience

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You may show up with a "confirmation from Koala" that is worthless.

Just like a confirmation from Expedia, VRBO, Airbnb, etc. Same process.

Your posts are way off. You sound like you work for Wyndham.

buddylee1114

Reaction score
My word, so based on some of the feedback on this post I posed a question to Koala regarding how a guest certificate is verified, and confirmation is valid. The response I received is below:

"The host has agreed to use one of their two restricted guest confirmations and we have the confirmation on file. While we perform regular Quality Assurance checks on our reservations, we have to be able to rely on that the host is adhering to the terms and conditions for renting with our company and following the rules of their timeshare ownership. Once the cancellation window has expired, the host will be notified to add the name to the reservation. Club Wyndham owners are charged a $99 fee for adding names and we wait until the cancellation window expires so the host doesn't unnecessarily pay the fee if the booker cancels. Once your name has been added to the reservation, you can call the resort to make any special requests. While not guaranteed, the resort will do their best to grant your request."

My thoughts on this...since this reservation was set with 32 days prior to check in cancellation without penalty for me, after that window passes the guest certificate is issued in my name. SO I will get confirmation of the guest certificate in my name 30 days prior to check-in.

*What keeps the owner from cancelling up to the day of check-in... nothing I suppose, other than Koala does not and would not pay the owner the rental cost collected until two days after I check-in. If I don't check in, they don't get paid. So not only do they risk losing the payment from Koala for the booking (I would think that was the reason they posted it in the first place), but Koala also I would think would end up penalizing them to use their platform for posting rentals.

Is there a gamble involved, yes I suppose there is, but just like many posted on here, expedia could easily cancel my reservation just as easily.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Anyone can cancel any reservation with any online booking source. I don't think that is a concern you need to have.

Sounds like Koala answered your question well enough to me.

But again, I am never on that side of things. I have a lot of listings through Koala, none are Wyndham because Wyndham has me on their books as a mega renter, so I can no longer add guests to anything, not even my family and friends, unless they are traveling at the same time. That can always be arranged, actually. I can always go to Orlando and stay elsewhere and check people in as needed, but I would have to keep the reservation in my name, one in Rick's name, and one in the kids' names, etc. That is something that family and friends would understand, but to rent to others based on me checking them in? That won't work. I cannot be that devious.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
My word, so based on some of the feedback on this post I posed a question to Koala regarding how a guest certificate is verified, and confirmation is valid. The response I received is below:

"The host has agreed to use one of their two restricted guest confirmations and we have the confirmation on file. While we perform regular Quality Assurance checks on our reservations, we have to be able to rely on that the host is adhering to the terms and conditions for renting with our company and following the rules of their timeshare ownership. Once the cancellation window has expired, the host will be notified to add the name to the reservation. Club Wyndham owners are charged a $99 fee for adding names and we wait until the cancellation window expires so the host doesn't unnecessarily pay the fee if the booker cancels. Once your name has been added to the reservation, you can call the resort to make any special requests. While not guaranteed, the resort will do their best to grant your request."

My thoughts on this...since this reservation was set with 32 days prior to check in cancellation without penalty for me, after that window passes the guest certificate is issued in my name. SO I will get confirmation of the guest certificate in my name 30 days prior to check-in.

*What keeps the owner from cancelling up to the day of check-in... nothing I suppose, other than Koala does not and would not pay the owner the rental cost collected until two days after I check-in. If I don't check in, they don't get paid. So not only do they risk losing the payment from Koala for the booking (I would think that was the reason they posted it in the first place), but Koala also I would think would end up penalizing them to use their platform for posting rentals.

Is there a gamble involved, yes I suppose there is, but just like many posted on here, expedia could easily cancel my reservation just as easily.
This consistent with the process I go through as an owner. I did now want to get in the middle of a discussion earlier. My experience with Koala is they are extremely detailed oriented. Very knowledgeable about the variances in resort systems. Very ethical in dealing with owners and renters. And very customer oriented. They have passed every challenge I have presented to them. They have my trust.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

Just to clarify the last day for an owner to cancel and get their points back is 15 full days before the check in date. A number of owners who rent stays don't add the guest name until the window to cancel has passed. They add the guest name at 14 days/2 weeks out. This sounds like what Koala is telling you. Not 30 days out unless that's their policy and I'm not understanding.

Another thing is that the owner may not be paying the $99 fee to add the guest name. All owners get a minimum of two free guest confirmations and VIP owners get more based on their level of ownership.

On our account we get 30 free guest confirmations. If I were to use I'd guess even 15-20 of that 30, Wyndham would most assuredly consider me to be engaging in commercial renting, cancel any reservations in our account with guest names on them and block me from adding guest names to any other reservations for a minimum of 90 days.

About the two exceptions. If the owner gets mixed up or forgets how many of their two exceptions they've used, then you're getting your money back and won't have a reservation with not much time to find other accommodations. Yes this does happen because some owners have a lot of reservations to keep track of and mistakes get made. There's nothing we can see in our accounts that tells us how many of our two exceptions we've used. We can call in to ask and hope we're given the correct information.

Koala does what they can to ensure there aren't issues but they aren't the ones in control of your reservation. That being said if Wyndham is actually not going after owners who're renting on Koala those owners are going to be careful not to mess up with Koala.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your posts are way off. You sound like you work for Wyndham.
Join the club of those who think like you do when I expose the shady practices of some Wyndham renters over the last 10 years.

Someone once "promoted" me to some kind of Wyndham attorney 6 years ago. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

when I spotlighted their scam.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, on January 22nd you are "concerned" about your reservation.

Now, on January 30th you are not "so concerned" about a Wyndham reservation.

What, exactly, has changed your mind?

buddylee1114

Reaction score
So, on January 22nd you are "concerned" about your reservation.

Now, on January 30th you are not "so concerned" about a Wyndham reservation.

What, exactly, has changed your mind?

Seasoned responses from this thread, along with speaking with Koala.com. I thought this forum was for exactly these type of inquires/information for advice/guidance. I appreciate subjective opinions that cause our minds to thoroughly evaluate/examine both sides of the coin. However, after review of several of your particular posts, (although I appreciate your time you took to contribute), I am disheartened that instead of agreeing to disagree it appears your aggressive nature is causing you to force your opinions on anyone that disagrees. Possibly I am not relaying my question or concern appropriately which causes you to respond in the manner that you have, but as the majority of responses on this topic, along with Koala's response/reputation I choose to agree to disagree with your statements associated with this post and look forward to our upcoming reservation. CHEERS!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Seasoned responses from this thread, along with speaking with Koala.com. I thought this forum was for exactly these type of inquires/information for advice/guidance. I appreciate subjective opinions that cause our minds to thoroughly evaluate/examine both sides of the coin. However, after review of several of your particular posts, (although I appreciate your time you took to contribute), I am disheartened that instead of agreeing to disagree it appears your aggressive nature is causing you to force your opinions on anyone that disagrees. Possibly I am not relaying my question or concern appropriately which causes you to respond in the manner that you have, but as the majority of responses on this topic, along with Koala's response/reputation I choose to agree to disagree with your statements associated with this post and look forward to our upcoming reservation. CHEERS!

There are a handful of people on this forum who have knee-jerk responses to certain triggers.

jorcus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I have rented a time share be it through red week or through TUG I have been sent a confirmation that was from the resort with my name on it. It would be different not to have that or only get it at the last minuet although reading through this thread I understand why it happens this way.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

WManning

Reaction score
@Sandi Bo mentions trust. Wyndham's forced owners who rented out of business. Those owners had renters who trusted them. A large number of those renters are having to go through the various rental sites if they want to continue staying at the Wyndham resorts. Btw for those who don't know, Wyndham turns a large portion of their own rentals and the listings owners gave to Extra Holidays over to the various rental sites.

If I was asked about trusting the various rental sites this is how I would respond.

1. If this is an expensive stay and especially if you're also paying for flights and a rental car then purchase trip insurance!
2. If you don't have an email with the resort name, the dates, a confirmation number and your name on the reservation confirmation then you don't actually have a confirmed reservation in your name. Think about it. You have emails for flights, rental cars, show tickets, etc. that all have that.
3. Once you do have that email in two days call the resort to confirm that they see a reservation in your name.
4. Before you begin your drive to the resort or leave for the airport call again to make sure they still have a reservation in your name and write down the name of the person you spoke with.

There's always elements of risk in more than just our accommodations. The flight could get cancelled, the car could break down, the rental car company might not have a vehicle for us, the list goes on. Being smart about the companies you use and being well prepared is important but stuff can still happen. Sometimes it's just your turn to have something go wrong.
This works well for Wyndham. They forced renters into buying into ownership by eliminating the VIP cheap discounted rentals. Eliminating cheap rentals helps EH. The mega renters that can no longer rent exit ownership by returning millions of points to Wyndham at $0 cost. This free inventory is resold at developer pricing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This works well for Wyndham. They forced renters into buying into ownership by eliminating the VIP cheap discounted rentals. Eliminating cheap rentals helps EH. The mega renters that can no longer rent exit ownership by returning millions of points to Wyndham at $0 cost. This free inventory is resold at developer pricing.
Since I am in the process of deeding back, I can tell you that Wyndham wants to keep me paying MF's as long as possible, my credit card still gets charged. They get the points about halfway through the year with fees paid to date. It's quite a racket they have going.

WManning

Reaction score
Since I am in the process of deeding back, I can tell you that Wyndham wants to keep me paying MF's as long as possible, my credit card still gets charged. They get the points about halfway through the year with fees paid to date. It's quite a racket they have going.
Almost comparable to the mafia's extortion of legitimate business owners. At least the mafia protected your turf from anyone else poaching your customers. Personally I would pay someone else to take ownership before giving it back to the cartel.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seasoned responses from this thread, along with speaking with Koala.com. I thought this forum was for exactly these type of inquires/information for advice/guidance. I appreciate subjective opinions that cause our minds to thoroughly evaluate/examine both sides of the coin.
And this sums it up:
2. If you don't have an email with the resort name, the dates, a confirmation number and your name on the reservation confirmation then you don't actually have a confirmed reservation in your name. Think about it. You have emails for flights, rental cars, show tickets, etc. that all have that.
3. Once you do have that email in two days call the resort to confirm that they see a reservation in your name.
Booking with Koala, there may be (or probably not, with a Wyndham reservation) a reservation at the resort booked in the guest's name. If I booked a reservation and called the resort to confirm, and there was no reservation in my name as guest after paying for said reservation, I would ask the lying third party (Koala) for a refund. But that is just me.