• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina Sales Presentation

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We are at Ko Olina this week, and attended a sales presentation yesterday.

Several notes:

* The incentives are not-so-good as before (only 10K MRPs). We opted for the $100 dining certificate instead.

* Salesman said that Ko Olina tower 4 will start construction later this year and be complete by 2017. Interestingly, the front desk agent said that tower 4 groundbreaking has been delayed until late-2017 at the earliest.

* New properties are being planned at San Diego (Gaslight), Washington DC, and Big Island (Waikoloa). Salesman said that all three of these locations would be hotel conversions with full kitchens, and that they had already acquired the properties. The new properties would be online by 2017.

* I reminded him that new properties cannot be added to the trust unless they are owned outright. He insisted that they own these properties so that they can legally be added to the trust inventory, and they will be all-timeshare (not just a few floors co-existing in a hotel building).

* They still own the Cancun land and it would definitely happen 'sometime' - but no dates.

* NYC Essex House is still a possibility - not completely dead.

* Salesman confirmed legal obstacles prevent non-US timeshare locations (Spain, Phuket, etc) from being added to the trust, but they can still be reserved as a hotel property.

* Salesman confirmed that ROFR is aggressive to add inventory to the trust.

* Salesman confirmed that Marriott inventory dumps into II are getting smaller, and that the great II trades of the past are mostly gone. I reminded him that we came to Hawaii this year by trading Mountainside (summer week) for Ko Olina (spring break).

* Salesman promoted access to Ritz Club properties as a great deal. I reminded him that Ritz Club properties are very troubled (Maui gone, Bachelor Gulch gone, Jupiter gone, Kaui Lagoons downgraded from Ritz Club to Marriott Vacation Club, San Francisco owners successfully sued Marriott, etc). He quickly changed the topic.

* Salesman said I was lucky to still be in the new 'Executive' tier (with my 7200 enrolled points), and that I could someday lose my status if I don't buy more points.

* Salesman promoted the idea that I could supercharge my enrolled points by purchasing just a small amount of trust points. He insisted that some reservations at existing properties would be unavailable to me using just enrolled points, and that no reservations whatsoever at new properties would be available to me using enrolled points. I responded that legal distinctions make it impossible for Marriott to simply grant all my enrolled points access to pure trust inventory simply because I also own 1000 trust points. That would be illegally depriving trust point owners their preferred status. He responded that there may be a few days during my desired week that can only be reserved with trust points, and therefore my entire reservation request would be denied. By owning a small amount of trust points, I would remove that obstacle and give Marriott more flexibility to satisfy my reservations request. Fair enough (that's an interesting twist that I hadn't heard before), but I said I would still take my chances with the exchange company using enrolled points.

* Salesman asked what conditions would be required for me to purchase any trust points. I responded that if the new properties at San Diego and Big Island actually appear as promised, and if I find that I cannot reserve those properties with my enrolled points, then I would consider purchasing trust points.

* Salesman insisted that 2000 points for $24,000 was now the new minimum purchase requirement. But the end of the presentation, he was offering me 1000 points for $9500.

* Our salesman was determined but not overly-aggressive as sometimes has been our experience at Ko Olina. Previously they have even gotten angry when we don't purchase any trust points.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We are at Ko Olina this week, and attended a sales presentation yesterday.

Several notes:

* New properties are being planned at San Diego (Gaslight), Washington DC, and Big Island (Waikoloa). Salesman said that all three of these locations would be hotel conversions with full kitchens, and that they had already acquired the properties. The new properties would be online by 2017.

* I reminded him that new properties cannot be added to the trust unless they are owned outright. He insisted that they own these properties so that they can legally be added to the trust inventory, and they will be all-timeshare (not just a few floors co-existing in a hotel building).

* They still own the Cancun land and it would definitely happen 'sometime' - but no dates.

* NYC Essex House is still a possibility - not completely dead.

* Salesman asked what conditions would be required for me to purchase any trust points. I responded that if the new properties at San Diego and Big Island actually appear as promised, and if I find that I cannot reserve those properties with my enrolled points, then I would consider purchasing trust points.

The Big Island and SanDiego locations are fact and were discussed during the earnings conference call about a month ago. Marriott and their development partners are buying a wing of the Waikoloa Beach Marriott hotel and converting it to 112 timeshare units. Marriott has also purchased a San Diego hotel that once was a Marriott Suites years ago but which has operated under other management and brands in more recent years. The third new location is in Miami Beach, not Washington, DC, however.

These were all discussed at length in the following thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222976

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
gblotter, very nice job with your sales presentation! I agree with Steven that it sounds like you were dealing with a knowledgeable rep but I'm sure it helped that you went in prepared to counter/question his statements enough that he had no doubt you were also knowledgeable. :)

This thread, VAC 2/26/15 Earnings Call - Financial and Future Development Info, contains official info about future properties at Miami, San Diego and the Big Island. DC and NYC Essex House aren't mentioned, I don't think, but those two rumors persist on TUG and in a few sales offices for whatever reasons.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended my presentation at Ko Olina yesterday. Initially I was not going to go because I was not buying, but then somebody on the property convinced me to do it to support the local economy. I feel that the 10000 MRP are useless, so I took the 130$ towards the Luau which is on the front lawn every tuesday.

My sales guy was pretty week, his main point was that I will not be able to access the new properties because I do not have trust points. He kept telling me that I can do a weekend in San Diego.. come on, I live in San Diego, I do not do weekends there:)

He said that we can access some of the new properties on the website, which is not true

In the end, I was offered 1000 for 12.48 a point, and I passed.

However, I bought the 5 day package for 1 bedroom mountain view, that I can use up to two years from now. I am not sure if its a good deal, it was 1795 but with 10 payments on my credit card it will be easily paid by the time I get here. I feel is harder and harder to use the MOD code at the Marriott resorts, and I will want to come back in two years, and spend couple of days here and couple of days at Aulani.

alchook

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, I bought the 5 day package for 1 bedroom mountain view, that I can use up to two years from now. I am not sure if its a good deal, it was 1795 but with 10 payments on my credit card it will be easily paid by the time I get here. I feel is harder and harder to use the MOD code at the Marriott resorts, and I will want to come back in two years, and spend couple of days here and couple of days at Aulani.

You got 5 days at MKO in a 1-bedroom for $1800? Are there any restrictions?

That sounds like a great deal. I imagine it could cost twice that depending on when you used it.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You got 5 days at MKO in a 1-bedroom for $1800? Are there any restrictions?

That sounds like a great deal. I imagine it could cost twice that depending on when you used it.

You can rent directly from an owner for a full week for same or less.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon...

Remember that 5 days 1in 1 bedroom is subject to a different availability yhan from Marriott.com. There is a separate inventory pool for these"encore" packages and a separate reservation number...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
* Salesman insisted that 2000 points for $24,000 was now the new minimum purchase requirement. But the end of the presentation, he was offering me 1000 points for $9500.

Interesting with the price reduction. It now makes me think that Marriott has gone to the dark side and make their prices negotiable and dependent on the sales department. They have a book where it shows the pricing at each level of points, with greater discounts for bigger point values. That is supposed to be standard pricing for all.

IuLiKa

TUG Member
Reaction score
They told me i can call 11 mo ahead but thanksgiving. Xmas and new yrs are impossible to get. I can add a studio and make it a 2 bed for 100 a night and i can also upgrade to the 7 night package if i want. I checked this morning w the 7vc code and the price is good.
I can cancel anytime the reservation for no fee unless is 3 days before and that is 99$. I liked the fact that I can use it in the next 2 yrs . I remember this packages were 1 yr only.
I do have to attend a presentation i will get 150$ or 30k MRP. For the 7 night package its 200$ or 40k MRP if i remember right.
The price will be deducted for my purchase and I am locked in at 12.48 a point. I am pretty sure I will not purchase then either...