• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina building suggestions

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
On Saturday we will be checking in at Ko Olina in an ocean view 2 BR, which we just retraded into and have requested a high floor. Any suggestions regarding preferences for buildings would be appreciated.

Aloha!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
On Saturday we will be checking in at Ko Olina in an ocean view 2 BR, which we just retraded into and have requested a high floor. Any suggestions regarding preferences for buildings would be appreciated.

Aloha!
Kids? How old?

I like the Naia tower as it is close to the big pool. The Moana tower is the quietest, while the Kona tower is in the middle. I heard that the Kona tower has been refurbished but I have not been in there for several years.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Mike,

We stayed in Naia last summer (wonderful) and also Kona in Feb '10 (wonderful). Moana looks wonderful.

I think you'll be very happy whereever they put you, I'd ask for highest floor possible versus a specific tower. As an exchanger, you're not so high on the food chain --- good luck and let us know where they put you!

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks Greg and JPC.

I will go with just indicating a high floor as we have. No kids on this trip, so that isn't a concern.

We know the resort is beautiful, so are really looking forward to the stay. This is our first time staying on the islands for two weeks.

Tuggers have once again proved to be very friendly and a great resource. Thanks to all.

Cheers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I will go with just indicating a high floor as we have.

Right you are! I missed that in your first post -- good luck and I hope you get a great room!

All the best,

Greg

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Below is a post I made on TUG back on Oct. 27, 2009 on this same topic. We are Ko Olina EOY OV owners, but had stayed there in an OV we got in a trade and we then were planning our first stay in our 'owned' unit for the next year. As a follow-up to this post I can report that we were assigned the 14th floor in Hale Moana during our 'owned' week vs the 6th floor we got during our 'traded' week.

Good luck, Steve

"When we were there in Sept. 2009 (on a trade) I did some investigation on where we would like to stay next Sept when we will be using the EOY OV that we bought when we traded in a year ago (We bought a 2BR, will use the 1BR and have deposited the LO w/II)

I went to the front desk during our stay and asked how much information they would like when we make our room request...one option, two, three, etc. And what kind of information would be helpful to them. She said the more information the better since there are no guarantees that your first request would be available (some people try to get the same room each time and only ask for that which then leaves them 2nd guessing on what to do)

I then went into all 3 buildings and walked the floors looking at room numbers, views from elevator lobbies or windows at ends of corridors, etc. DW and I then put together a priority list of 4 general areas that we would like to stay in (ranked from 1 to 4).

I took the list back to the front desk and asked how I should best convey this information as concisely as possible in a phone call, and when I should make that call.

I was told it was best to call 3-4 weeks in advance, call the resort directly 808 679-4700, and select extension 0 in the menu. And she said it might be good to call during 'off hours', as those empoyees don't often get to talk to people and it would give them something fun to do (and they would not be as busy). She looked at my list and went to her book that showed all the room numbers (by floor) and told me the best way to explain what we wanted. Example; 1st priority, any ocean view room above the 5th floor in Hale Nai'a, 2nd priority, Hale Kona, 7th floor and above, rooms in series 30-44 (made those up), 3rd priority ( etc...)

When we traded in for our stay this past Sept. (using our 1BR Timberlodge) we were lucky enough to get an OV room, and the only request we made was 'highest floor possible'. We were put in Hale Moana, 6th floor, last 1BR on the north end, right above the BBQ area, the parking lot and the big brown patch of bare land next door (and as far from the ocean as possible). When we checked in and first got to our room we were pretty disappointed. I went back and tried to get re-assigned but it was explained to me they were FULL, and despite our owner status (since we were on a trade) and the number of actual owners there at the time, that this was the best they could do. By the 2nd day we had 'chilled' and actually enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching people BBQ while enjoying happy hour and the wonderful sunsets...but we would still PREFER to be in a different location next time!"

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
They are all good! I do like Naia best with my little kids though.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have stayed at all 3 towers and we like the Kona towers followed by Naia and Moana. Kona is in the middle of everything and easiest to the marketplace. We buy mugs for the year and use them quiet often. You can also get refills at the Naia pool bar but it closes early. Longboards will also refill your Ko olina mug anytime they are open. Kona tower is central to the weight room, sauna, steam room and most of the jacuzzi tubs.

Naia is a close second right now because it is only half occupied. It does have the newer pool area and jacuzzis. Parking is the easiest out of the 3 towers because of it only being half occupied. Units feel "newer" than the other 2 towers. Also Naia has a small work out room on I believe the 4th floor.

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the 3 towers. You are in Hawaii!! The decor and furniture is the same for all 3 towers with the Naia looking the newest and the Moana looking pretty good also. The Kona tower you call tell is the older one as the furniture shows more wear and tear than the other towers. The dishwasher was pretty beat up in the Kona tower when we checked in last week. Also the paint and corners are in need of touch up. Nothing dramatic just a little more maintenance here and there.

But more than anything else just relax! :cheer:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks all. My guess is that with the very recent confirmation of our retrade, we won't have a lot of priority. I will let you know what tower and floor we are assigned.

I do like the idea of checking out the various buildings and approximate views for future requests. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

uop1497

Reaction score
We are here now, stay in the nia building. The new wings still close until Jun . Beautiful resort . The Lau show is fun, but expensive .:whoopie: :whoopie: