• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kingsland Tips

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were lucky enough to get consecutive RCI exchanges to Kingsland from May 29th to June 12th. We'll be staying at the Hyatt Residence Club Kaanapali from June 12th to the 26th (I only mention this because it is an extended trip, and I wanted the collective wisdom of TUG). I plan to work at least 3-4 days a week while we are on the Big Island. It's great that Hawaii is 4 hours later since I should be able to get up at about 4AM work until around Noon and still have plenty of time for some fun activities.

We've been to the big island a couple of times as an adult couple, but this time we'll have three kids in tow ages 7, 3, and 3. I think that probably will prohibit us from doing a few of our favorite activities like Kayaking to Captain Cook Monument or really long hikes, but I think there will be plenty to do. We are excited to be at Kingsland since I think our kids will love the pool complex and will also enjoy some of the amenities at the Hilton hotel. I have a few areas I'd like some advice on:

1) I had the option of confirming into a 6/4 or a 6/6. I chose the 6/6 since I thought it would be a little roomier (It was a few thousand more points so I figured it would be the more desirable unit). However, RCI has the units at a bit smaller and without a washer and dryer (which would be a real shame as we are there for 2 weeks). Should I request a Phase 1 unit? Do you think I have much of a shot getting a Phase 1 unit as an RCI exchanger? Will they take my request now?

2) From what I remember, we absolutely loved Hapuna beach. What other nearby beaches would be good to take our crew to?

3) What would be some good activities for our family on the Big Island?
- We are thinking that my wife and 7 year old will go horseback riding and snorkel with manta rays.
- We plan on doing at least a day trip to the volcano (maybe two -- we absolutely loved the volcano when it was just the two of us).
- We plan on several beach days + pool days.

4) How is the internet at the resort? I assumed it would be fine for work, but a friend spent 2 weeks over Spring break at Ko'Olina and the internet connection wasn't up to snuff so had to just take vacation for a few of the days he planned on working.

5) Any tips for Kingsland?

6) Any advice for a long trip (4 weeks)?

Thanks!

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I cannot speak to any of your Kingsland questions but for horseback riding and manta rays, I would contact the vendor directly. I ride at Paniolo Stables but I am not sure if they will allow a 7 year old on the trail. These are open range trails at times with free ranging cattle. Any children younger than 12 that I have taken on these ride with me were experienced riders. Here is the link for the stable I highly recommend - the rides are breathtaking:

I am confident that the manta ray snorkel will allow a 7 year old. There are a few sunset snorkels in Kona that have a guarantee or next time is free.

Hope you have a wonderful time on the Big Island. The Hawaii Tropical Bioserve & Gardens are open to visitors again. Not sure if the younger children would appreciate it but a lovely place to spend the day.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak to any of your Kingsland questions but for horseback riding and manta rays, I would contact the vendor directly. I ride at Paniolo Stables but I am not sure if they will allow a 7 year old on the trail. These are open range trails at times with free ranging cattle. Any children younger than 12 that I have taken on these ride with me were experienced riders. Here is the link for the stable I highly recommend - the rides are breathtaking:

I am confident that the manta ray snorkel will allow a 7 year old. There are a few sunset snorkels in Kona that have a guarantee or next time is free.

Hope you have a wonderful time on the Big Island. The Hawaii Tropical Bioserve & Gardens are open to visitors again. Not sure if the younger children would appreciate it but a lovely place to spend the day.

Thanks so much for the advice. I hadn't considered the age requirements for horseback riding -- looks like she needs to be 8 years old and needs to do an introductory ride before she can go on the open range ride. We live in Colorado, so we may have to save that one for a staycation.

Thanks for the advice on the Gardens -- that sounds like a nice time.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Kingsland so I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

1). We were in a 6/4. We were told these are premium rooms and were given the third floor. I would tend to believe all the two bedroom units have a washer/dryer. I’ve stayed at Kingsland before through RCI also and always received Phase 1. We wanted to be near the pool and buildings 5 and 6 were completely full. We ended up in Building 8 and that’s also a pretty short walk to the pool. Building 7 would be closer and building 9 is having furniture replaced. I would ask for ground floor because of the kids. Yes, call now and make the request.

2) Hapuna Beach now charges for parking. Equally beautiful is the beach near Mauna Kea. parking is limited to 40 spaces but cars come and go for spots to open up.

3). Take the kids to Two Step. Snorkeling there wasn’t as great as I remembered but we ended up being surrounded by 30-40 dolphins. It was truly magical. The kids would love it for sure. Volcanoes NP has only some spots open. We pave gone to Jagger Museum in the past and remember staying late to watch the lava glow. we couldn’t do that on this trip, as the museum is closed and the road to the museum was closed. The closest we could get was another viewpoint, but not close enough to see any lava glow. (I guess that was actually permanently closed even pre-covid due to instability in the area). Plan to do the touristy stuff on the weekdays, so it’s not as crowded. Do a Hilton pool day on a weekday.

4). Internet at Kingsland was not great. And we couldn’t get WiFi when at the Hilton hotel through the Orchid wifi hotspot that’s there.

5). Kingsland Tips: no activities for kids, so make sure to get stuff to keep the kids engaged. Closest supermarket is Islands Grocery store in the Queens shopping center but drive five minutes further and go to Foodland Farms. Still a very small grocery store but better stocked than Islands. Nice deli counter in the back and premade sandwiches and salads that were reasonable and delicious. Costco is far from Kingsland but is a strategic stop on the way home from Two Step (Doesn’t everyone go to Costco?). Bring an HDMI cord for the TV. (We never got the apps on the TV to work).

6). At some point the kids will have a meltdown just from being away from home for so long. Have something planned for that. You’ll get used to the time difference in a week, maybe 10 days at most. So getting up at 4 am to do work is going to be exhausting after week 2. I’d plan on getting lots of work done that first week.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Kingsland so I’ll try to answer some of your questions.

1). We were in a 6/4. We were told these are premium rooms and were given the third floor. I would tend to believe all the two bedroom units have a washer/dryer. I’ve stayed at Kingsland before through RCI also and always received Phase 1. We wanted to be near the pool and buildings 5 and 6 were completely full. We ended up in Building 8 and that’s also a pretty short walk to the pool. Building 7 would be closer and building 9 is having furniture replaced. I would ask for ground floor because of the kids. Yes, call now and make the request.

2) Hapuna Beach now charges for parking. Equally beautiful is the beach near Mauna Kea. parking is limited to 40 spaces but cars come and go for spots to open up.

3). Take the kids to Two Step. Snorkeling there wasn’t as great as I remembered but we ended up being surrounded by 30-40 dolphins. It was truly magical. The kids would love it for sure. Volcanoes NP has only some spots open. We pave gone to Jagger Museum in the past and remember staying late to watch the lava glow. we couldn’t do that on this trip, as the museum is closed and the road to the museum was closed. The closest we could get was another viewpoint, but not close enough to see any lava glow. (I guess that was actually permanently closed even pre-covid due to instability in the area). Plan to do the touristy stuff on the weekdays, so it’s not as crowded. Do a Hilton pool day on a weekday.

4). Internet at Kingsland was not great. And we couldn’t get WiFi when at the Hilton hotel through the Orchid wifi hotspot that’s there.

5). Kingsland Tips: no activities for kids, so make sure to get stuff to keep the kids engaged. Closest supermarket is Islands Grocery store in the Queens shopping center but drive five minutes further and go to Foodland Farms. Still a very small grocery store but better stocked than Islands. Nice deli counter in the back and premade sandwiches and salads that were reasonable and delicious. Costco is far from Kingsland but is a strategic stop on the way home from Two Step (Doesn’t everyone go to Costco?). Bring an HDMI cord for the TV. (We never got the apps on the TV to work).

6). At some point the kids will have a meltdown just from being away from home for so long. Have something planned for that. You’ll get used to the time difference in a week, maybe 10 days at most. So getting up at 4 am to do work is going to be exhausting after week 2. I’d plan on getting lots of work done that first week.
Wow thanks so much for all the info. I am hoping I can get a Phase 1 unit with the 6/6 -- I guess I should have done my research, saved the points, and gotten the more desirable units. Maybe I can just try requesting buildings in Phase 1 and hope I get that.

Yes, I was thinking Two Step would be a good spot for the kids. That's disappointing that the snorkeling wasn't as good as what you had remembered. I read a few other writeups (not on TUG) that expressed similar sentiment. When we were there 9 or 10 years ago it was fantastic.

Maybe the early mornings will help with the slow speed of internet? I'm hoping it doesn't cause too many issues. You're right about getting used to the time zone eventually. I plan to take off about two weeks of vacation, so I'll have to figure out how I want to balance that out.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
All of the unit descriptions on the HGVC website show a washer/dryer. We stayed in a 1 BR in 2015 and it did.

I'm thinking you have a 2 BR with King in 1 BR and 2 Doubles in the other. There are some 2 BR's that have a King and then 2 Full Size Beds in the second BR. The 2BR's with the Doubles show 1269 sq ft and the ones with the Full Size beds show 950 sq feet. I believe that may also include the area of the lanai's.

Some of the point difference using HGVC points at KL is based on what floor you are on. The higher of the three floors you go with the same layout increases the points needed.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I asked the same question question about unit size/location on TUG when I booked and there was no consensus. I gambled with the lower points as the RCI description showed those had 1269 sq ft units, which is the Phase I units? I don't go until Oct, but I'll report back. I was thinking it's lower points because of a different bathroom configuration as 3/4 bath for 2nd bedroom? We only have 4, so any unit is fine.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
A simply amazing experience for all (although the 3 year olds may be a bit young- you should check) is the Seahorse Farm (https://seahorse.com) just north of Kona. We did this in a just-adults visit (we don't have kids, so everything we do is that way :)), and it was wonderful.

Other than that, not much I can suggest for folks with kids as we did things like drive to smaller areas to poke around, walks and hikes, sitting and reading. Kids don't do as well with that (at least I didn't back when I was one :))

Cheers.

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kingsland was built in 3 phases. There are 2 different sizes for the 2 BR. The larger 2 BR are 1269 sq ft and the smaller 2 BR are 950 sq ft. They all have washer and dryer. There are different points designated for standard, plus and premier depending on view and floor. The master BR can have king size bed or 2 double beds. Phase 1 units all face the golf course. Phase 2 and 3 units face either the parking lot or golf course depending on number of points used for standard, plus or premier units. I believe the smaller 2 BR in phase 2 does not have pull out couch to accommodate 6 people in unit. Phase 1 has more upscale furniture and larger lanais. I do not know how you made the reservation. If it was made on HGV website, there are codes to distinguish each phase and type of beds in Master BR. I believe RCI exchangers are usually designated to the smaller units in phase 2 or 3. It would be up to the front desk if they have availability to upgrade. Kingsland is running at very close to 100% occupancy this year and since type of unit reserved is so specific, it is difficult to switch phase, type and view on request.

Phase 1 Large 2 bedroom
Phase 2 Small 2 bedroom
Phase 3 Large and small 2 bedroom

Emi

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Children love the lagoon at HIlton Waikoloa Village. There are water sports, turtles and fishes. Guests at Kingsland are allow to use the facilities at the resort. Also complimentary parking or take the free shuttle bus. Also there is the beach at A-bay at Waikoloa. You can take the shuttle bus or find the free beach parking next to the Marriott hotel. A-bay has water activities provided by Ocean Sports. They run snorkel trips, glass bottom boat and all the water sports. They may still have a ”Day at the Beach” when activities are all included at one low price.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I’ve owned and stayed at KL since it was built. All the units have W/D, the RCI descriptions are wrong about that.

The WiFi unit is in the master bedroom closet, signal is strong and speed should be fine, I’ve never had an issue with email or web. I’ve never tried it at the pools.

The hotel area is nice for walking early in the morning, we walk it from KL. Enter from the north at the Buddha Statue (walkway next to golf course). Take your KL room tickets to get a towel at the desk. You can observe the dolphins. The sand beach and lagoon is a good place to check out the kids using snorkel equipment, we take our own. I use the shorty kick fins, easier to pack.

You dont have to go far for good snorkel spots or other types of beaches:

A-Bay beach is great for sunset walks, walk south past Lava Lava to see turtles. There is lots of crushed lava mixed in with the sand, the kids can find peridoux / olivine gems mixed in. There is a food court in the Queens mall, I like the Island Ono Fish, but kids can get Subway or a Pizza.

Kikaua Point beach is excellent snorkeling, a few miles south at Hualalai resort. Ask for a guest pass at the south security gate. The north gate has access to the bay. Lots of turtles at both, snorkel is better at south gate.

Mauna Lani (next resort north) has several points of interest. There is a black sand beach with ok snorkel, it drops off quick, wear shoes the sand will blister your feet. There is another public beach lot with a 1/4 mile trail to the beach through several fish ponds, comes out at abeautiful beach near the hotel, good snorkel there.

The shops at Mauna Lani have a free shows, get dinner at one of the restaurants, we like Tommy Bahamas.

Going further north the Hamakua Nut company on the way to Hawi is a nice stop to taste nuts, get a package of mac nut pancake mix with lilikoi syrup.

When we go south to Kona, Sam Choys is a favorite for lunch specials, great views at the Keahou shopping center. There is a farmers market in the lot every Saturday.

Up above Capt Cook on the mountain are the coffee plantations, if you feel adventurous find the Donkey Balls shop, Painted Church, Paleaku Peace Garden.

We go up the hill to Waikoloa Village for the grocery store. There is a post office too, grab some flat rate boxes to mail gift packages home to relatives (grab Macnuts, etc at Costco). My mother in law loves a mumu, there is a Target in Kona with Hawaii gifts, or Walmart if you must but I hate the parking there. Check out the old airport beach near the Target shopping center, nice beaches and lots of free parking.

Last one, a must stop for us, the Swedish Shave Ice in old town Kona. Try one with a scoop of choc macnut ice cream in the center. Parking at Kaukini Hwy / Likana Lane. Lots of touristy shops in the area, same kitsch you can get at Target or Walmart cheaper.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, of course, Kona Brewing Company. Particularly nice if you can get an inside table with all of the surf and music memorabilia. Food is good as well as the beer.

Cheers.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
A simply amazing experience for all (although the 3 year olds may be a bit young- you should check) is the Seahorse Farm (https://seahorse.com) just north of Kona. We did this in a just-adults visit (we don't have kids, so everything we do is that way :)), and it was wonderful.

Other than that, not much I can suggest for folks with kids as we did things like drive to smaller areas to poke around, walks and hikes, sitting and reading. Kids don't do as well with that (at least I didn't back when I was one :))

Cheers.
Also the octopus farm. Our grandkids really enjoyed it. They have also been to the Seahorse Farm, Beware that you will be on the hook to purchase a stuffy as they are prominently displayed. https://www.kanaloaoctopus.com/

And another highlight for our grandkids when they were much younger was Three Ring Ranch animal sanctuary. http://www.threeringranch.org/

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
our 7 year old loved the slide over towards lagoon tower and spent hours there. she also liked snorkel in the Hilton lagoon, though not nearly as "good" as in the ocean, but it was a "safer" feeling for her. she loved the luau.

TravelinJack

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Paradise
SmithOp has a great number of suggestions. We like to go up the coast and stop in just about anywhere there is a Beach Access sign. If you continue up past Hawi you will get to the end of the road. Parking is limited and there is a dirt path down the hill to the ocean. Groceries are best bought at the store in Waikoloa as recommended. Waimea has The Kahilu Theater Foundation which puts on local events. They may have something for the kids to enjoy. Just outside of Waimea The Fish & The Hog has good food. South of KL is the Kiholo State Park Reserve. We have not found it to be crowded. Just be sure you are out of there by 6pm. They lock the gate. If you go into Kona there are many places to eat. We like to pick a place on the water. If you have thought of going over to Volcano National Park, I would recommend staying at least one night around Hilo. We like to stay at the Kileaua Lodge. They have a few homes that they treat like hotel rooms. There is enough to do in that area to make spending a night or two worthwhile. There is so much to do there. We are going back for our 9th visit and we still find new things to explore.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
SmithOp has a great number of suggestions. We like to go up the coast and stop in just about anywhere there is a Beach Access sign. If you continue up past Hawi you will get to the end of the road. Parking is limited and there is a dirt path down the hill to the ocean. Groceries are best bought at the store in Waikoloa as recommended. Waimea has The Kahilu Theater Foundation which puts on local events. They may have something for the kids to enjoy. Just outside of Waimea The Fish & The Hog has good food. South of KL is the Kiholo State Park Reserve. We have not found it to be crowded. Just be sure you are out of there by 6pm. They lock the gate. If you go into Kona there are many places to eat. We like to pick a place on the water. If you have thought of going over to Volcano National Park, I would recommend staying at least one night around Hilo. We like to stay at the Kileaua Lodge. They have a few homes that they treat like hotel rooms. There is enough to do in that area to make spending a night or two worthwhile. There is so much to do there. We are going back for our 9th visit and we still find new things to explore.
Kahilu Theatre is not yet open for in person events - they do have art exhibits in the lobbies on certain days/hours. In place of in person events, they have launched Kahilu TV that you can purchase an event or subscribe and be able to stream events 30 days after the ‘live show’

mcdanielpj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Spencer Beach has shade and fewer large waves. Just a little farther north than Hapuna Beach.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We've been going to the Big Island with some frequency since 2012 and we love Kingsland. My son was 7 years old and I called the horseback riding place and explained the situation. They allowed him to ride with us and the guide kept very close eye on him (and they put him on a really old horse, with a reputation for steadiness). It was fantastic.

To this day, one of our favorite "excursions" is going over to the Hilton Waikoloa Village complex and visiting the lagoon and going in their pools. Your kids will love that -- especially the smaller pool by the Ocean Tower that my son calls "the rocket slide" because it is so fast. Short, but fast.

I echo the comments on others about work. I always work from Hawaii and it is great being on the earlier time zone, but after about a week I've adjusted and then I'm setting the alarm clock. It's fine, but just something to manage the expectations.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds great!

Best,

Greg

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been going to the Big Island with some frequency since 2012 and we love Kingsland. My son was 7 years old and I called the horseback riding place and explained the situation. They allowed him to ride with us and the guide kept very close eye on him (and they put him on a really old horse, with a reputation for steadiness). It was fantastic.

To this day, one of our favorite "excursions" is going over to the Hilton Waikoloa Village complex and visiting the lagoon and going in their pools. Your kids will love that -- especially the smaller pool by the Ocean Tower that my son calls "the rocket slide" because it is so fast. Short, but fast.

I echo the comments on others about work. I always work from Hawaii and it is great being on the earlier time zone, but after about a week I've adjusted and then I'm setting the alarm clock. It's fine, but just something to manage the expectations.

Enjoy your trip, it sounds great!

Best,

Greg
Thanks for this great advice! Might be worth a shot with the horseback riding. My wife really enjoys it and is certain our 7 year old will too.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick little update. I called to request that we be kept in the same room over the two weeks. They were happy to oblige and they said I was assigned to Phase 1. I think we'll really enjoy being close to the pool complex with our kids.

I am soooooo excited....3 weeks from Saturday!!!

Locksmythe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
We have been to Kauai and Maui timeshares through exchange but this summer will be our first time on the big island. We will stay in at least two of the HGVC properties and are thinking about tagging on a few more days as we just got a resale at The Bay Club. I appreciate the good advice here. two adults and children 6 and 8 for this trip.

Any thoughts on surfing, kite surfing, or (maybe) paragliding lessons in the area?

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been to Kauai and Maui timeshares through exchange but this summer will be our first time on the big island. We will stay in at least two of the HGVC properties and are thinking about tagging on a few more days as we just got a resale at The Bay Club. I appreciate the good advice here. two adults and children 6 and 8 for this trip.

Any thoughts on surfing, kite surfing, or (maybe) paragliding lessons in the area?
So I don't know much about kite surfing, but I think the waves will be pretty small for surfing in the area. My understanding is that you can do kite surfing anywhere with wind, so that could be a really fun option.