• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

King’s Land accessibility (mobility scooter user)

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone direct me to an online resource that discusses disabled access for the King’s Land property, please? I didn’t find anything using Google… other than this generic “accessibility” page: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/koaklgv-kings-land-by-hilton-grand-vacations/

We’re booked in for a one bedroom exchange mid-January next year, and have never stayed at any of the Waikoloa Resort timeshare properties yet, although we’ve been visiting the Big Island several times now. This is the first time that I travel with a mobility scooter, which I shall need to use to get around the property.

I know that the property itself is pretty flat, and I already know that the shuttle will NOT take the mobility scooter (a Pride Go Go Elite.)

We’re starting out without a floor plan, specific floor, view, or building preference… but I’d like to narrow down what would work best, especially for avoiding stairs and finding an appropriate place to park the scooter overnight (in or out of the unit.)

Do you know if there is barrier-free access to the King’s Land buildings?
Are the ground floor lanais accessible from outside the units to park the scooter? Or must we take it into the unit from the unit’s door?
Are all entry doors 32” or more wide?

Due to pain and fatigue issues, I cannot walk far or climb more than a few steps, and need to be mindful of how safe the scooter shall be when parked in the unit, and elsewhere on the property (like the pools.) So, as such, I really don’t need a unit designed for wheelchair users (like with a roll-in shower.)

Any advice or suggestions would do be very welcome, that would help make our stay as hassle-free as possible. Thanks!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think the entry doors are barrier free, but I am not 100% certain. The ground floor lanai's are open to the surrounding grass area, no fence or railing etc. The grass is kept pretty short, but I am not sure how well a scooter would travel over that. If you plan to store the scooter near the lanai, you should probably contact the resort to request a unit near a path at the end of the building.

If your in Phase one, some of the building have a path to the grills that go between the buildings and that would provide the least amount of off-road travel.

The buildings in Phase two and three are much larger and your lanai may be quite a ways from a paved pathway.

All of the buildings have elevators, so you won't be forced use the any stairs.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would call the resort desk as the time approaches, both to know what's available, and to not surprise them on arrival. Hawaii, being USA is required to be ADA compliant and to make 'reasonable accommodations', so all entry doors will be 36".

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I think that since in the master bath the showers are just frosted glass doors and a just tile floor with a slight angle, with no lip, just a drain in the middle, so all of that will be fine. No stairs, elevator to each floor landing. Obviously only ground floor lanais will be accessible via the scooter from the rear of the ground floors. As other have said there is no barrier, other than the grass itself. But asking for a ground floor unit need the end will keep the scooter on the grass to a minimum.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.
The scooter cannot go on the grass at all, so the descriptions of the pathways are very important.

It looks like I will have to take the scooter indoors, and park it in the unit.
The problem with that is that most hallways are not wide enough to give me a proper turning angle to get in the door.

I really would not like to leave the scooter parked outside at night where any yahoo walking by might decide to do something really unfortunate to it. At least on a patio/lanai, there’s an illusion of a “private” space rather than a public one. Not too long ago, I wouldn’t have worried about wanton willful damage but, nowadays, even those who should know better, don’t.

I take it that going indoors to your unit’s door is via a barrier-free entry - is there an indoor lobby/vestibule where the elevators are? Would that space be large enough to park a scooter a bit out-of-the way? Is the lay-out of all buildings for the entry/elevator space about the same in all three phases?

Thank you very much for your willingness to share your comments, it’s very appreciated!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Also take a look at reviews on TripAdvisor.

You can use the search function to locate related reviews (see screenshot example below).
If you have any additional questions, I suggest calling the resort and ask to speak with one of the front desk managers or the resort manager now so you can figure out what’s doable.

Have a wonderful trip and Please share your experience when your return.

05C14266-7659-487E-A6E9-919A13C322C1.jpeg

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/h...-grand-vacations-KOAKLGV/about/amenities.html

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/koaklgv-kings-land-by-hilton-grand-vacations/rooms/ (select Accessible tab)

From Hilton.com

FOR YOUR ACCESSIBILITY NEEDS
The Following Features Are Available:
  • Accessible
  • Accessible Rooms
  • Accessible business center
  • Accessible concierge desk
  • Accessible exercise facility
  • Accessible guest rooms with mobility features with entry or passage doors that provide 32” of clear width
  • Accessible hotel restaurant
  • Accessible parking spaces for cars in the self-parking facility
  • Accessible public entrance
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the accessible guestrooms
  • Accessible route from the accessible public entrance to the registration area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible entrance to the meeting room/ballroom area
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to at least one restaurant
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the business center
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the exercise facilities
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the swimming pool
  • Accessible swimming pool
  • Accessible transportation with advance notice
  • Alarms - Visual Strobe
  • Bathroom doors at least 32 inches wide
  • Bedroom doors at least 32 inches wide (812mm)
  • Braille room numbers
  • Closed captioning on televisions or closed captioning decoders
  • Roll-in Shower
  • Room Accessible by Request
  • Service animals welcome
  • Swimming pool hoist for pool access
  • TTY for guest use
  • Van-accessible parking in the self-parking facility
  • Vibrating fire alarm available
The Following Features Are Not Available:
  • Accessible registration desk
  • Accessible route from the hotel’s accessible public entrance to the spa
  • Assistive listening devices for meetings upon request
  • Valet only parking

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I take it that going indoors to your unit’s door is via a barrier-free entry - is there an indoor lobby/vestibule where the elevators are? Would that space be large enough to park a scooter a bit out-of-the way? Is the lay-out of all buildings for the entry/elevator space about the same in all three phases?

Phase One has exterior hallways, while phase two and three have interior hallways to the rooms. I have only stayed in phase one, the area around the elevators on the ground floor is paved and I think there are some rooms near the elevators that might allow you to drive the scooter straight into the room. I am not sure if those are 1 or 2 bedroom units. Kingsland does not have lookoffs, so the rooms are dedicated.

Phase two and three do have an interior lobby area, so that might work, but i have not stayed there so can't say for sure. I have walked though those buildings, but have not stayed there.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We have stayed in phase 3, specifically in building 24. It has scooter/wheelchair dipped curbs from the parking lot, a level entrance from the main entrance walkways and a large open elevator lobby. Each floor also has a large elevator lobby, which opens onto a large, adjacent area where the DVD kiosks and the public internet computer desks are located.

If my memory serves me well, the interior hallways are wider than most resorts we have stayed at and should allow sufficient room to turn into your unit, even with one of the larger scooters. Failing that, there is a window area overlooking the golf course in each elevator lobby. I believe there would be more than enough room to park your scooter there, if you are unable to get it into the unit itself.

I strongly recommend you reach out directly to the resort itself to confirm whether or not my recollections are correct and I am sure they will be able to find a solution for you.

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, this is precisely the info that I was looking for!
The Phase Three overall building design for the public spaces would work very well, and I would not need worry about the parked scooter overnight, given your descriptions. That’s a big relief!

I’m still just a big unclear about the pathways between the sections, like from Phase Three to the main Clubhouse and pool. Can I do this route paved all the way, or will I need to detour to the road? Thanks!

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll definitely report back!

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thank you very much, this is precisely the info that I was looking for!
The Phase Three overall building design for the public spaces would work very well, and I would not need worry about the parked scooter overnight, given your descriptions. That’s a big relief!

I’m still just a big unclear about the pathways between the sections, like from Phase Three to the main Clubhouse and pool. Can I do this route paved all the way, or will I need to detour to the road? Thanks!

All the pathways are connected. There are paved concrete sidewalks on both sides of the main road. The sidewalks run between phase 2 and 3 on one side and along phase 1 on the other side. From phase 2 there is a marked crosswalk across the main road to phase 1, near the clubhouse. We often walked to and from the clubhouse, rather than taking the free shuttle. It's a pretty walk/scooter drive. If you go on Google Earth, you can actually see the walkways and the crosswalk.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
We stayed in a 1 BR in 2015 on the 1st Floor in what I believe was Bldg 9 then moved to Bldg 11 due to a maintenance issue. I remember it was a very short distance from the lot to the front door. I would call the resort ahead and talk to someone on property now to figure out where you'll be most comfortable and able to navigate/store the scooter. They should be able to give you first hand advice on what will work. It's a beautiful property and we can't wait to get back there in October.