• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Killington skiing

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that summer is over, I have started thinking about our upcoming trip to Killington. This will be our first visit to any ski resort so huge.

DD(15) and I will be driving up on Christmas eve for a week. We are both beginners.
She is interested in Snowboarding and I want to ski.
I am wondering how that would work. Killington being so huge, I don't want to be separated from her and be looking for her half the time.
Do they have designated snow boarding areas and ski areas? or can we be together all the time?
What about cell phone coverage? Should I carry walkie talkies with me?
Any information/help would be really apprecaited.

Thanks

Werner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether or not you can stay together will depend in part on your relative levels of skill on your boards/skis. You can ski and board together but like most large ski areas Killington has a terrain park that snowboarders usually like to go to. I've seen many people with walkies talkies when skiing out west so I would think they can be useful for setting up rendezvous at Killington. I'm sure Killington has cell coverage but it might not work in all the nooks and crannies of the mountain(s). Killington is so big that even with a trail map, knowing (and explaining) where you are can be confusing. Killington also has multiple base areas so you could have to ride a chair back up to get down to where you want to be.

It would be easier to set up rendezvous at a base lodge or at on-mountain landmarks like restaurants or lift stations than to try to meet at trail junctions. If you are new to big mountains, use the trail map to set up a route down, then follow the signs (Killington is well signed) and don't get distracted by another interesting trail, it may lead to a different base area. Popular tourist mountains are usually carefully signed (the lawyers make them do it) so trails that lead to other base areas are usually say so at critical junctions.

What happens to me when skiing at big mountains out west is that I get so focused on the trail that I don't pay attention to trail junctions and just keep skiing what I thought was the same trail. You can get some pleasant (and unpleasant) surprises that way. Of course when you get lost you can blame it on poor signage :) You might talk to an on-mountain host to help you set up contingency rendezvous points.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a nonskier and DH skis Killington frequently, so I waited until he got home to check so I wouldn't give you wrong info. I see Werner did a good job for correct info.

Although there are 5 mts at Kilington, both Rams Head and Snow Shed have huge areas for beginner skiers where it is more likely to keep track of each other. Plus both have base lodges that serve meals and snacks so would be a good place to meet at a prearranged time if that is what you choose to do.

Re cell phone: When I had cingular on a contract, I could use my cell at Killington. Now I have ATT prepaid service (used to be cingular) and I have no service anywhere in Vermont.

We used walkie talkies once. They worked pretty well when he was near the base lodge and I was in the condo but they didn't work when he was up on a trail. Maybe more expensive talkies might do a better job, I don't know.

Enjoy your ski vacation with your daughter.

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with your request, however we got married at the top of Mt Killington 03/04/76.

Still together. No longer skiiing, but this place holds a special place at least in my heart.

Oh course my husband states it has always been downhill since then!:cheer:

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a nonskier and DH skis Killington frequently, so I waited until he got home to check so I wouldn't give you wrong info. I see Werner did a good job for correct info.

Although there are 5 mts at Kilington, both Rams Head and Snow Shed have huge areas for beginner skiers where it is more likely to keep track of each other. Plus both have base lodges that serve meals and snacks so would be a good place to meet at a prearranged time if that is what you choose to do.

Re cell phone: When I had cingular on a contract, I could use my cell at Killington. Now I have ATT prepaid service (used to be cingular) and I have no service anywhere in Vermont.

We used walkie talkies once. They worked pretty well when he was near the base lodge and I was in the condo but they didn't work when he was up on a trail. Maybe more expensive talkies might do a better job, I don't know.

Enjoy your ski vacation with your daughter.

Thank you Kay. I have been doing some research and it seems like Pico might be better (and cheaper) for us beginners. But they do not seem to have any lessons there? Is that right?

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
nothing to do with your request, however we got married at the top of Mt Killington 03/04/76.

Still together. No longer skiiing, but this place holds a special place at least in my heart.

Oh course my husband states it has always been downhill since then!:cheer:

Wow, that must have been something :) Here's hoping you continue together like this for the next 32 years :clap:

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neash,

DH has never skied Pico so I can't give you any info but I do think that Killington lift tickets can be used at Pico. You need a car to get from Killington ski area to Pico but they are only about 1/2 mile apart on the highway. Are you beginner skiers? DH has skied many yrs and likes the challenge of Killington. He skis some black diamonds (Outer Limits).

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we are beginners. Pico lift tickets seem a lot cheaper than Kiliington's.
I will do some more research on this.

Jimbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neash,

DH has never skied Pico so I can't give you any info but I do think that Killington lift tickets can be used at Pico. You need a car to get from Killington ski area to Pico but they are only about 1/2 mile apart on the highway. Are you beginner skiers? DH has skied many yrs and likes the challenge of Killington. He skis some black diamonds (Outer Limits).

I've skied Pico some years ago and you can see Killington from the top of the mountain. They were going to link them together with a gondola but there was some environmental issue like the spotted owl habitat so that has been laid to rest.

I was reading thru all the posts and was thinking Pico the whole time. I would try Pico for 2 days and then if you want to brave it, move over to the beginner hills at Killington that are referenced previously.

In any case, enjoy!!!