• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kilconquhar Estate and Country 4BR on Hold, anyone stay here?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have a 4 BR unit on hold and have been reading the RCI reviews.
Not so good although they say the villas are spacious. Really a mixed bag in terms of quality. Will check trip advisor next.

I was going to pair this with 4 days in Edinburgh and 5 days in London.

Is there enough to to do in the area to stay for 7 days or should I do 5 days here as well.
Car a necessity or public transit okay????

Would love to hear from someone who has stayed on the property.

Last edited:

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
We stayed there in 2004 and just loved it. We used the local buses and went to/from St. Andrews. Enjoyed every day of it. Very peaceful.

We did a tour up to Loch Ness and also went to some Highland Games. Husband loved touring some of the local distilleries. We hired a driver and he showed us a variety of interesting villages.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Go for it Pat, sounds like a nice trip!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed there in 2004 and just loved it. We used the local buses and went to/from St. Andrews. Enjoyed every day of it. Very peaceful.

We did a tour up to Loch Ness and also went to some Highland Games. Husband loved touring some of the local distilleries. We hired a driver and he showed us a variety of interesting villages.

Go for it Pat, sounds like a nice trip!

We really prefer not to rent a car. My husband is okay with driving on the left but it is more relaxing for him if we do not.

My one BAD RCI exchange was to Connemara Counrty Cottages and it was a disaster. Do not want to repeat that experience hence my hesitation.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
I understand. We didn't dare drive. Wanting to relax - we contracted with a local and he toured us around wherever we wanted to go. I think we had him come like every other day. The other days, we rode the local bus. Was a ball!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have exchanged into a 2-BR there, our unit was in their manor house. There are also stand-alone houses which may be the 4-BR's. It was and still is Gold Crown so I can't imagine finding it uninhabitable as you did with Connemara.

You could be there without a car, the resort offered some tours (we went on 1 full day one up to Loch Ness). Plus the local bus runs to picturesque fishing villages along the coast, and you can walk from town to town along the coast, it's gorgeous hiking. You can also take the train to Edinburgh, I think we did that for a day trip (my memory of how we got there is a bit hazy).

But we did rent a car and found it useful, even though the narrow roads and driving on the other side of the road took some getting used to, it was our first experience with that. There are so many beautiful places that are easier to reach with your own transportation. Just take your time.

I loved our stay there, there was more than plenty to do for a week for my taste (I could have hiked a different section of coastline every day), and I'd consider going back.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We stayed there last April. We had a 2 bedroom cottage. We had a rental car (we had spent the previous week in a self-catering cottage on a working farm 10 miles north of Inverness) and used it to drive to Edinburgh (twice), Stirling, and all around the Kingdom of Fife. We greatly enjoyed our stay and the staff was very friendly and helpful. They do offer dinner and breakfast meal plans. We bought the 3 breakfast plan and the 5 dinner plan (this included 2 breakfasts) so we ended up with 5 breakfasts. The Blood Saugage and Haggis was quite good. We enjoyed the freedom of our own car. We also saw the Scottish Bunker, Falkland Castle (with its Royal Tennis Court), etc.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to confirm. The four bedroom units look awesome and have three full baths. Have one friend who has committed to go and waiting on a second.

Very excited to see more of Scotland after a 4 night stay in Edinburgh last year.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats, I think you will enjoy it!

If you do decide to rent a car, my feedback on their full-day tour to Loch Ness is that it covered so much distance, you spend a LOT of time in transit as opposed to out of the vehicle seeing places, and was expensive (for a party of 4) as opposed to driving to the various stops on your own.

As you know, long road trips involve a lot of narration - our guide was pretty funny and told several off-color jokes which we couldn't help laughing at in spite of ourselves. We scheduled it near the beginning of the week before we were sure we felt comfortable doing the driving, so it worked out fine and we didn't regret it. But I would have preferred to spend more time at some stops, and less time at others, and to split the itinerary into at least 2 whole days.

But I understand not wanting to deal with driving, so either way you will be fine.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congrats, I think you will enjoy it!

If you do decide to rent a car, my feedback on their full-day tour to Loch Ness is that it covered so much distance, you spend a LOT of time in transit as opposed to out of the vehicle seeing places, and was expensive (for a party of 4) as opposed to driving to the various stops on your own.

As you know, long road trips involve a lot of narration - our guide was pretty funny and told several off-color jokes which we couldn't help laughing at in spite of ourselves. We scheduled it near the beginning of the week before we were sure we felt comfortable doing the driving, so it worked out fine and we didn't regret it. But I would have preferred to spend more time at some stops, and less time at others, and to split the itinerary into at least 2 whole days.

But I understand not wanting to deal with driving, so either way you will be fine.

Thanks. That is very good feedback. As I said, my husband has done the left hand driving in Ireland, he just would not particularly want to be "the" driver for the week. We could look into renting for a few days. When we were in Ireland in 2013, the roads and signage were greatly improved then in 2007 when we drove all around the country. Our subsequent trips we were mostly in Dublin. And I have had two TUG friends commit to this trip so we will be 5-6 people....so more then one driver.

Thanks for the information. :banana:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we stayed in the Cottage by Inverness we drove to Skye, John O'Groats (stopping at Patti's Family Castle Dunrobin), etc. We also did an unusual thing - we drove complete around Loch Ness clock wise. Some of the roads on the east side were quite small.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh cool, that must mean you have space for 2 more!

A 4 bedroom has 3 baths so 5-6 works just right, with an extra room for any snorers :doh::rofl::shrug:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got my final confirmation from RCI and under unit it says "3"
I am assuming that's the unit number. Anyone have a map from their visit to the resort. Curious as to the location.
TIA

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really prefer not to rent a car. My husband is okay with driving on the left but it is more relaxing for him if we do not.

My one BAD RCI exchange was to Connemara Counrty Cottages and it was a disaster. Do not want to repeat that experience hence my hesitation.

We own at CCC so wondering when you went and if your bad experience was the on the one-track road to the complex or if there were other problems. We will be going in April and are looking forward to it as we have new management that is doing a fabulous job. The units have been upgraded as has the road.

I know that driving on the left can be a difficult experience for some.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We own at CCC so wondering when you went and if your bad experience was the on the one-track road to the complex or if there were other problems. We will be going in April and are looking forward to it as we have new management that is doing a fabulous job. The units have been upgraded as has the road.

I know that driving on the left can be a difficult experience for some.

If the units have been renovated then that would resolve the problem we had.
Driving on the left was not the issue. As I said we have done it and would do it again. It is just our preference to be able to enjoy the scenery and relax.

Here is my review from RCI. My visit was in 2007. It was much worse then I indicated. The bathrooms and kitchen were really gross. We slept in our clothes. We were freezing.
After we checked in we drove back into town and I was able to book a three bedroom unit for same day checkin at Old Killarney Village. We had spent the previous week at Fitzpatricks Castle. Both these resorts were great, clean and comfy. That is all we were looking for.

Date:September 23, 2007
Best things about resort
Individual Cottages and Galway area location - spacious but dated units
Best attractions or restaurants nearby
Unknown - we checked out after one night!

Review
I was not expecting fancy but I did expect clean and in good repair - the linoleum in the kitchen and bathrooms looked as if they were original to the cottage that was built in 1980 - many cracks, tears and signs of extreme wear.

The heating system was broken - there was a leak in the fuel line - and there was no concrete time frame to getting this fixed. As we were checking in on a Saturday at 4 pm - we really weren't hopeful that the system would be repaired - there were 2 electric heaters in this 3BR 2 story cottage but only one worked. The gentleman who checked us in did provide additional comforters when we requested them and was very thourogh in explaining the workings of the cottage. He also gave us prepared sight seeing materials that would have been excellent if we had stayed.

The kitchen was very outdated and in poor condition - it would have been difficult to prepare a meal there.

We were able to start a peat fire in the living room which would have been charming if we didn't have to huddle around it for heat.
The cottages were 1 mile off the road on a dirt track and from there you are 6 miles to a small town - with restaurants/pubs, one internet connection and 2 grocery stores.

I had looked forward to this exchange for 2 years and visiting this part of Ireland but the condition of the cottage was so unsatisfactory that we left before 8 am the next morning.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to confirm. The four bedroom units look awesome and have three full baths. Have one friend who has committed to go and waiting on a second.

Very excited to see more of Scotland after a 4 night stay in Edinburgh last year.

This is a dream of mine to one day go here...How awesome...

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is a dream of mine to one day go here...How awesome...

Me, too! I have wanted to go for 10 years. Looking forward to a wonderful stay.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What month are you traveling and how many tpu's for the unit through RCI?

I used to own a 2 br villa there. I would expect at least 2 of the bedrooms to have two twins, one probably has a double, and the Master might have a king but might have a queen. Bring clothes that dry easily. Their dryers are terrible and clothes are normally damp even after a cycle. Problem is they charge for power based on your usage so you don't want to use multiple cycles.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What month are you traveling and how many tpu's for the unit through RCI?

I used to own a 2 br villa there. I would expect at least 2 of the bedrooms to have two twins, one probably has a double, and the Master might have a king but might have a queen. Bring clothes that dry easily. Their dryers are terrible and clothes are normally damp even after a cycle. Problem is they charge for power based on your usage so you don't want to use multiple cycles.

Early October....35 TPUs.
Do you know the location of unit 3 (not CR-3) on the grounds? Or do you have a site map?
I am familiar with this type of washer dryer! Not the most efficient. And I did see they charge for electricity.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At one time I had a map but I don't any more. Mine was number 24 and it was west of the castle. I would imagine that the lower the number the closer to the castle but I only went once and don't know that for sure.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I emailed kilconquhar and they sent a unit map.

Attachments

• SCAN3448_000.pdf
    123.4 KB · Views: 102

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I emailed kilconquhar and they sent a unit map.

OMG! That was so nice of you! I am really looking forward to this exchange. I did not realize how big the grounds are.
I have a search in for Knocktopher Abbey in II for the third week :) will do London/Dublin in between

Last edited:

RichardL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner of a 4 bedroom at Kilconquhar for the past 5 years. If you still have some specific questions I would be pleased to help out. I noticed your mention of preferring not to drive. The Castle is in the rural area and as such the roads are a little narrow and my wife shares your thoughts. The problem is the Castle is not a place you walk to town from. But that said I have had lunch at the resort cafe and met a couple you had just spent hours walking and taking buses throughout the countryside. But I am no longer 35yrs. old. You can contact the front desk about local transportation, but I would suggest a car. Exploring can sometimes get done by a private tour guide arranged from the front desk. A car gets you to the nearby town for groceries or exploring nearby St. Andrews. Fortunately, traffic is light.

Enjoy.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am an owner of a 4 bedroom at Kilconquhar for the past 5 years. If you still have some specific questions I would be pleased to help out. I noticed your mention of preferring not to drive. The Castle is in the rural area and as such the roads are a little narrow and my wife shares your thoughts. The problem is the Castle is not a place you walk to town from. But that said I have had lunch at the resort cafe and met a couple you had just spent hours walking and taking buses throughout the countryside. But I am no longer 35yrs. old. You can contact the front desk about local transportation, but I would suggest a car. Exploring can sometimes get done by a private tour guide arranged from the front desk. A car gets you to the nearby town for groceries or exploring nearby St. Andrews. Fortunately, traffic is light.

Enjoy.
Thanks Richard, as we get closer to the date, I am sure I will have more questions :hi: