• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kilauea volcano erupts on Hawaii's Big Island Followed by 4.4 earthquake (merged)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It has been quiet since the day after my last visit on 4th Aug 2018. While Kilauea had collapsed it had not erupted since.

But history will tell us that Pele will awaken again, and it appears she has.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
And we were supposed to arrive in Waikoloa yesterday evening. o_O

I'm feeling significantly more peaceful about our decision to postpone to March based on an abundance of caution about Covid risks in airports and first-leg flights.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And we were supposed to arrive in Waikoloa yesterday evening. o_O

I'm feeling significantly more peaceful about our decision to postpone to March based on an abundance of caution about Covid risks in airports and first-leg flights.

It has not even left the crater since the crater is so deep now after the collapes. I doubt it might leave the crater anytime soon, unless a sudden surge in magma shows up, so the rest of the island is not in danger and generally is NOT. VOG might be the greatest issue on BI, at best.

HI's volcanoes are not the dangerous exploding type.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It has been quiet since the day after my last visit on 4th Aug 2018. While Kilauea had collapsed it had not erupted since.

But history will tell us that Pele will awaken again, and it appears she has.
What likely happened when the crater collapsed a couple of years ago.

The area under the volcano has a maze of passageways in which the magma moves as it heads to the surface. One set of passageways down the SE rift zone of the volcano, leading to the eruptions in that area. However there has been a restriction in those passageways, which limits the amount of magma that can go that direction. So the magma that can't get out that way rises in the center of the volcano to the summit, creating a reservoir magma at higher elevation than the eruption zones on the SE flank. Then, a couple of years ago something happened to enlarge the connection to the SE flank. This allowed the reservoir magma near the summer to escape to the SE, leading the disappearance of the lava lake at the summit simultaneous with a large outburst of eruptions on the SE flank.

The connection to the SE side now appears to have become restricted again, so that magma is once again rising to the summit.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am here now and we drove up to the park today to see whatever there was to see. Only steam plumes, but still really cool to see! I will try to figure out how to post some of the pictures that we took. It actually looked more dramatic and foreboding from farther away.

The lava is so far down in the crater that you can’t see it from the edge. But the lake that was there even just yesterday was vaporized overnight by the lava! People visiting the park at night can apparently see a red glow in the steam.

It remains to be seen if this lava will build until there is some oozing from a side vent somewhere.

Off to figure out how to post pictures!

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right at the rim. If you tap a picture it makes it full screen. The video files were too large to upload.

Attachments

• 931A67C5-9507-4E40-874A-C7BA796DA0E3.jpeg
    931A67C5-9507-4E40-874A-C7BA796DA0E3.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 38AA6A7F-CE7A-41EE-95D5-8BF9963B80C0.jpeg
    38AA6A7F-CE7A-41EE-95D5-8BF9963B80C0.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 29A87EC6-6A1F-4A1B-9BDA-D7780D10E770.jpeg
    29A87EC6-6A1F-4A1B-9BDA-D7780D10E770.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 41

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Right at the rim. If you tap a picture it makes it full screen. The video files were too large to upload.

Very cool, Mahalo for posting. I’ll get over there to see that sometime. I’ve been wanting to do that for years.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This is a photo that was posted by the US Geological Survey Hawaii Volcano Observatory on their website. Shows the two fissures that are feeding the new lava lake in Halemaʻumaʻu.

IMG_9600_1.jpg

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The irony of all this is that we were also up at the park last Friday in a torrential downpour when the visibility was zip. So we even missed seeing the lake that is now gone. We had been planning our return trip for today anyway.

We had no idea that this eruption had even taken place until our phones started going nuts in the wee hours. It’s a 4 hour time difference and folks from home woke up to the news and were checking in to be sure that we were OK. A volcano erupting sounds very scary to those of us from the flatlands!

So we turn on the TV and see that everything is status quo at the park and get ourselves moving for an early morning trip. Not a huge crowd, drove up and in and easy parking. But by the time we left there was a line at the entrance gate.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most mainlanders do not understand Hawaii volcano behavior.

I purposely went during the 2018 visit, because I have always wanted to see the volcano erupting. I have seen it ooze over my 10 visit to HI but I have never seen it erupt. Glad I got to see it.

This was as it was entering the ocean. It was a once in a lifetime trip. To see that much lava entering the ocean, all along about a 5 mile stretch of coast.
20180727_053408 small.jpg

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
Most mainlanders do not understand Hawaii volcano behavior.

You are correct. This information might help others understand the nature of volcanoes on Hawaii ( Big Island ).

https://www.lovebigisland.com/hawaii-blog/hawaii-volcano-history/

When we lived there there were times when VOG was very bad and it would be in Kona for months at a time and can be a serious health risk. Sometimes you cannot see it but you can tell if it is around if you look at the horizon and it is hazy. It would be rare that the VOG would reach Waikoloa.

We think the best way to really see the volcanoes is to do a doors off helicopter tour from Hilo.....it will be memorable.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We think the best way to really see the volcanoes is to do a doors off helicopter tour from Hilo.....it will be memorable.

I totally second this suggestion. We did it 2 years ago when the volcano was super active with the lava firetube going into the ocean. Flying over the mouth of the crater, you could smell the sulfur and feel the heat of the lava. Definitely cool!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I totally second this suggestion. We did it 2 years ago when the volcano was super active with the lava firetube going into the ocean. Flying over the mouth of the crater, you could smell the sulfur and feel the heat of the lava. Definitely cool!

I agree as well. Love the doors-off tours from Hilo. But one word of caution...depending on the type of activity and the location, there may be Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) over the activity. That is currently the case over the Kilauea summit as the attached screenshot from the aviation chart of the Big Island shows. Tour helicopters are not likely to be allowed over the summit right now.

IMG_0001 copy.jpg

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Big change in visibility today. The VOG is here. Golfed at Makani and couldn’t really see the ocean vistas. Yesterday at Makalei they were a bit hazy, but still good.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We did a full island helicopter tour out of Kona in 2007. Here are some shots from the trip.

This is where the active eruption was occurring on the southeast flank, toward Puna.

1608839393092.png

Lava river with lavafall:

1608839484063.png