• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kids in Hot Tubs-Spas at Timeshares?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It is well established that anything on a forum is opinion. Nothing is fact.

FWIW...My high school English teachers taught that it is poor grammar to add "I think" because when you are writing you are stating what you think so it is redundant.

With that saidm adding "I think or IMO" can soften a statement. IMO...the argument about fact vs. opinion is a red herring from the main argument which has some basis in reality. How many people install hot tubs for their kids?

Last edited:

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
No, you weren't attacked for joining in and contributing your opinion; you were called out because you brazenly stated your opinion as hard facts. Had you made statements like "I think..." or "I believe..." instead of what you wrote ("Hot tubs are intended to be for adult relaxation", for example), I think people would not have reacted so negatively. Choice of words matter, especially when people have no body language cues to go on in a forum like this.

Kurt
I'll keep your suggestion on how to voice MY opinion in mind. However, what was the original post/discussion about? I thought the point was to discuss the OP subject of kids in hot tubs. I didn't quote any FACTS or PRETEND to base it on anything other than my own experiences and opinion. Posts before mine accused people of not liking kids, people need to mind their own business, people drinking in tubs, let kids be kids, so on an so forth. It's all opinions being voiced. But I guess I'm required to state my opinion in a certain way as my writing comes across as factual and persuasive. I find it hysterical that the person who called out my post had no other contributions except the focus on MY OPINION no matter how it came across. Came in the door confrontational when my statement struck a nerve for whatever reason. It's not the first time. Unless we are discussing something FACTUAL, I consider all discussions as opinions and viewpoints based on exposure and experience. After all, its the reason I came to TUG in the first place. I found a group of people who share their experiences about timesharing. Some based on opinions, some on facts. Some a combination of both. Far be it from me to waste anymore time on this subject.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies

FWIW...My high school English teachers taught that it is poor grammar to add "I think" because when you are writing you are stating what you think so it is redundant.
With that said adding "I think or IMO" can soften a statement. IMO...the argument about fact vs. opinion is a red herring from the statement which I think has some basis in reality. How many people install hot tubs for their kids?
@CalGalTraveler , I appreciate you mentioning this. As my high school english teachers and college professors tried to get me to take up journalism. I have been told my writing can be pretty persuasive. I think I should have went into law as people seem to think I am stating FACTS and not opinions. I guess I can be persuasive as factual towards people who can't see past certain levels or cannot elevate their thinking either. There is a term for that and I will digress.....

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I'll jump in here and say that Kids are welcome to use the hot tubs, with supervision, same as SHOULD be done in the pools. However, there are adult only hot tubs at most of our resorts, and THOSE are usually full of kids as well. Mothers taking their babies in diapers (NOT swim ones) is gross and can make the hot tub uninviting for days. I do not hate kids. I have 4 of them myself, and I have taken them into hot tubs before. However, NEVER the adult only hot tubs and always with my supervision to make sure they did not lessen the enjoyment of others. KORV, for example has a nice family hot tub near Annies, I have used it and it is quite large. they also have an Adult hot tub that is quite relaxing and semi private. Many times I have seen parent drop their 4 and 5 year olds off at the adult hot tub and shimmy themselves off to the bar. not ok. of course, I have also seen the homeless wander off the beach and take their morning bath in the same hot tub, so our only real savior is the level of chlorine in the water.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow....this thread is going sideways. Can we just take a breath and look at things for what they are. Hot tubs are intended to be for adult relaxation. If they were intended for kids they would have made them kid friendly and appealing. Maybe even have a kids version next to the kids pool. As adults we need to draw the line somewhere for our kids to respect adult boundaries. Kids should not reared to think they are entitled to do everything their parents do. Kids are not allowed in bars but are allowed in restaurants where adult beverages are served. But they know there are BOUNDARIES which prevent them from ordering a beer with their meal. We shouldn't need rules, policies and laws to be posted for everything. We shouldn't need to allow policies to supercede respect and common sense. Not everything needs a posted rule or law for us to know what is and is not intended for kids. That's just my two cents.

No you wanted everyone to take a breath and look at things your way. Then a statement that hot tubs are intended for adults. Then you talk about respect and common sense.

What you should of wrote was. "Can we just take a breath and look at things they way they are. This issue will never be resolved as resorts do not have enough hot tubs and they are appealing to both kids and adults a like. " Or just say "I'll add my two sense and feel hot tubs are for adults kids should not be allowed in. People should know that hot tubs are only for adults."

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
“should have written”
”two cents”

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My two cents :) is that the five little kids that were in the hot tub yesterday at Hono Koa, fighting with one another and no adult in sight, that was a little nuts. Kids are allowed in our hot tub, but only with adults. I am okay with that. I don't understand having 5 kids, all under the age of 13 or 14 in a hot tub without an adult. They were fighting so loud, all of the adults in the complex were on their lanais to see what was going on down there.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

With that saidm adding "I think or IMO" can soften a statement. IMO...the argument about fact vs. opinion is a red herring from the main argument which has some basis in reality. How many people install hot tubs for their kids?
My notion is that the purpose of language is to communicate. Two principles apply.

1. Don't use any more words than you need to convey your message.
2. Use all of the words that you need to convey your message.

If adding "I think", IMO, or something similar conveys the message more clearly, than don't worry about what we were taught in high school.

I was also taught never to end a sentence with a preposition. Which is a rule up with which I will not put. :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
It's funny how some of us who join in discussions are quickly attacked for joining in. I joined in because I always felt(opinion) hot tubs were intended for adult relaxation. Is it a fact? No. However, I still have YET to hear an adult installing in a hot tub for their kids enjoyment. Hysterical.
We installed a hot tub for enjoyment of people of any age, including our kids. Hysterical.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

kvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't like it. There is a family jacuzzi on the timeshare property, but sometimes kids are in the adult jacuzzi. A family was having a party at the adult pool with their kids, and the kids were dumping their juice boxes in the adult jacuzzi. The parents weren't paying any attention to what they were doing.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I have been following this thread for a while and would like to weigh in. The issue here isn't kids in hot tubs, it's the parent's control over their kids. Our children always went into the hot tubs (as long as the temp wasn't over 102 degrees) and never had any problems. They would sit and soak for a few minutes and then go off and play. Never a problem. Almost every single complaint in this thread is about unruly kids in hot tubs. Would you complain if a 9-year-old was sitting peacefully soaking in the tub?

Now, if the rules say adults only, that's another situation. It still goes back to parental control as their parents should make sure they are following the rules of the resort.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Sigh, what is a hot tub. None of them are open at least at Hyatts and Westin's we have visitex, all year. At least only 4 guests allowed for the fortunate resorts that have them available.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I haven't even read through this thread but I know there are die-hards on both sides. Most of the places I stay have a 'family hot tub' and an 'adults only hot tub'. The adults one is usually much warmer than the family one. And that causes issues. Personally, I do NOT want super-hot hot tubs. I also tend to dislike all the drinking around the 'adult hot tubs' that tends to happen. It's ridiculous to talk about safety as a reason kids shouldn't use hot tubs and then act like the adults behave safely in the adults only hot tubs.

And just to add to my first world problems... I have day use at the timeshares I own precisely so I can use the pool/ hot tub/ fitness rooms when I'm in town visiting but not staying at my timeshares. Well, covid took that away :( Just last week we took our RV to the beach now that the campgrounds are back open. But we weren't able to use the nearby timeshare pool or hot tub with our day use. And it was NOT about occupancy/ safety because we drove by and the place was empty. And outdoor pools are really very safe when it comes to 'rona spread. It was just a power grab. All the day use privileges gone, poof, because of covid. I worry they aren't coming back.

kvp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't even read through this thread but I know there are die-hards on both sides. Most of the places I stay have a 'family hot tub' and an 'adults only hot tub'. The adults one is usually much warmer than the family one. And that causes issues. Personally, I do NOT want super-hot hot tubs. I also tend to dislike all the drinking around the 'adult hot tubs' that tends to happen. It's ridiculous to talk about safety as a reason kids shouldn't use hot tubs and then act like the adults behave safely in the adults only hot tubs.

And just to add to my first world problems... I have day use at the timeshares I own precisely so I can use the pool/ hot tub/ fitness rooms when I'm in town visiting but not staying at my timeshares. Well, covid took that away :( Just last week we took our RV to the beach now that the campgrounds are back open. But we weren't able to use the nearby timeshare pool or hot tub with our day use. And it was NOT about occupancy/ safety because we drove by and the place was empty. And outdoor pools are really very safe when it comes to 'rona spread. It was just a power grab. All the day use privileges gone, poof, because of covid. I worry they aren't coming back.
I hope the day use privileges come back! Day use is one of the reasons I bought my Carlsbad timeshare.

geekette

Reaction score
....It was just a power grab.
What does this mean? What power is grabbed by withholding day use? Seems to me it's more about limiting occupancy. Resort management has always had the power to limit occupancy so what grabbing occurred?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
....It was just a power grab.
What does this mean? What power is grabbed by withholding day use? Seems to me it's more about limiting occupancy. Resort management has always had the power to limit occupancy so what grabbing occurred?
So in the case of Carlsbad Inn, I think it was about occupancy. That's fine.

In the case of Riviera Beach and Spa managed by Diamond Resorts I think it was about trying to eliminate legacy owners' privileges. It was not busy AT ALL and there are very few legacy owners with day use. That's why I called it a power grab. They are routinely trying to strip away legacy owners' options and make our deeds less valuable.

geekette

Reaction score

In the case of Riviera Beach and Spa managed by Diamond Resorts I think it was about trying to eliminate legacy owners' privileges. It was not busy AT ALL and there are very few legacy owners with day use. That's why I called it a power grab. They are routinely trying to strip away legacy owners' options and make our deeds less valuable.
Thank you for the elaboration. Puts things in a different light when there is a pattern.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Carlsbad Inn has had most of the common areas, lawn, pool, spa, closed due to renovations since before Corona, so not sure how this fits.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Not a fan but I recognize that the kids have a right to be in there also. Maybe the best solution would to have an adult only spa or an adult only time, like after 8pm.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Carlsbad Inn has had most of the common areas, lawn, pool, spa, closed due to renovations since before Corona, so not sure how this fits.
They had as much open as possible over the Summer their busiest season. They sent out notes to owners saying day use was not available because of covid. I believe it was an honest effort to reduce capacity. For day use they also offer bike rentals, fitness room use, beach equipment, parking. It's not just the pool and hot tubs available.
Also I think the pool is done now. They put pictures in the newsletter. It looks good.