• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
UPDATE: Looks like some more bars in KW have opened in the past few days that I wasn't aware of until today - which means they're serving some kind of food now. Some of the bars in Rick's (Durty Harry's and Rick's downstairs) are now open but I think Tree Bar is still to-go drinks only. The Green Room also opened, as well as 22&Co (tutu bar) - they have hot dogs. :cheer:
Thanks so much for your replies! We will refer to your hints many times I am sure, while we are there. We really appreciate it. I'll be sure to post while we are there. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you weren't scheduled to go to KW again until December.. Any luck in talking your DH into going sooner? LOL!

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
Florida just announced reopening of standalone bars, at 50% capacity. Sounds like counties have the ability to opt out, but I doubt Monroe has any desire to do that right now. Enjoy! I have friends down there who say they all pass the same twenties back and forth during the off season - your cash influx will doubtless be very much appreciated.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Thanks so much for your replies! We will refer to your hints many times I am sure, while we are there. We really appreciate it. I'll be sure to post while we are there. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you weren't scheduled to go to KW again until December.. Any luck in talking your DH into going sooner? LOL!

We're considering it! LOL But if we go, we'd have to work while there so I'm trying to decide if I could be that disciplined. We've had to work a little during each of our other trips there this summer and we didn't mind, but it was only for an hour or two a day during weekdays. Prices are just so cheap right now, it's hard to resist.

And yes, Florida bars and breweries can reopen Monday 9/14.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
So looking forward to Key West opening up again! Slowly but surely, things are coming back. I see many counties in Florida opening up to the next "stage", I think more activities open, and occupancy rates can increase from 25% to 50%. Just looking for things to do, since so many places don't even let us in. Travel is difficult when you can't go where you want to.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So looking forward to Key West opening up again! Slowly but surely, things are coming back. I see many counties in Florida opening up to the next "stage", I think more activities open, and occupancy rates can increase from 25% to 50%. Just looking for things to do, since so many places don't even let us in. Travel is difficult when you can't go where you want to.
I wasn't aware that Key West was closed to tourists?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Key West was closed to tourists?

At one point the Governor closed the road going down to the Keys and would not allow visitors to pass the check point. The only ones who could proceed on were residents of the Keys. Not sure if that roadblock still exists or not. Maybe someone can update the status on this roadblock.

Question; Does the State of Florida still stop every vehicle driving on 95 South near the Georgia + Florida border? I know they were doing this in the late spring and early summer.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The roadblock was eliminated, but so many of the bars were closed there was not much to do.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
At one point the Governor closed the road going down to the Keys and would not allow visitors to pass the check point. The only ones who could proceed on were residents of the Keys. Not sure if that roadblock still exists or not. Maybe someone can update the status on this roadblock.

Question; Does the State of Florida still stop every vehicle driving on 95 South near the Georgia + Florida border? I know they were doing this in the late spring and early summer.

Stopping incoming traffic at the state line ended when they ended the 14 day quarantine. Maybe a month ago?

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Stopping incoming traffic at the state line ended when they ended the 14 day quarantine. Maybe a month ago?
Our Son and DIL are there now, they drove down to KW on Friday from Miami. Many bars are open, at 50% capacity they tell us. Having a great time except for the storm!

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor

It wasn't actually our governor who put up the roadblock - it was Monroe County and that was lifted on June 1st. We've visited twice since then. The governor allowed the roadblock to happen but I don't think he was too supportive of it.

Most of our favorite restaurants have been open throughout. Some bars have obtained food licenses and reopened already, but all bars can reopen starting tomorrow 9/14.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! So Beach house has a shuttle, good to know. Is there a real beach there? In the pictures it looks like a bay with a little bit of sand for entry.
It's a tiny little beach, I much preferred the pools. When we went in May, the sunset from the property was beautiful

starzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas
Grand Chateau
Aruba Ocean Club
Grand Vista
Trying to exchange through II to go to Hyatt Residence Club Sunset Harbor or Centric Resort and Spa in October 2021, having no luck. I know that is a popular month in KW, are there any other nice TS close to the Hyatt's that anyone has stayed at?

Thanks

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to exchange through II to go to Hyatt Residence Club Sunset Harbor or Windward Point in October 2021

You will have zero success as October 2021 is not yet available in the Hyatt system. Also, October is not a particularly popular month in KW

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Trying to exchange through II to go to Hyatt Residence Club Sunset Harbor or Centric Resort and Spa in October 2021, having no luck. I know that is a popular month in KW, are there any other nice TS close to the Hyatt's that anyone has stayed at?

Thanks
There are other Hyatt timeshares in Key West, just not as close to Duval Street, so if that is what you are looking for, The Galleon comes to mind, which is also close to Duval. I'm not sue if it trades through II. I think it may be RCI. Also, check the rentals listed here on TUG or Redweek. It will give you an idea of the timeshares that are on Key West. I own at Sunset Harbor, so I always stay there.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
You will have zero success as October 2021 is not yet available in the Hyatt system. Also, October is not a particularly popular month in KW
Actually the October week when Fantasy Fest is held is an extremely popular week in Key West, second only to hell week (the time between Christmas and New Year's).

starzim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairway Villas
Grand Chateau
Aruba Ocean Club
Grand Vista
There are other Hyatt timeshares in Key West, just not as close to Duval Street, so if that is what you are looking for, The Galleon comes to mind, which is also close to Duval. I'm not sue if it trades through II. I think it may be RCI. Also, check the rentals listed here on TUG or Redweek. It will give you an idea of the timeshares that are on Key West. I own at Sunset Harbor, so I always stay there.
We usually stay in Margaritaville but we like Hyatt Sunset and being close to Mallory Sq. Thanks!

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We usually stay in Margaritaville but we like Hyatt Sunset and being close to Mallory Sq. Thanks!
We love the location of HSH. We haven't stayed at Margaritaville since it was rebranded from Westin, but always liked staying there then. I just looked in II and they're showing the Galleon, which surprised me. I think it used to be only RCI. You might have better luck trading in there since it's a larger property than Sunset Harbor. Another one to try is The Banyan. It's not on the water but it's not far from that area. Hyatt Centric is actually a resort hotel, not a timeshare. Good luck!

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually the October week when Fantasy Fest is held is an extremely popular week in Key West

Agree - but that's a 'week', not the month of October. And as someone who rents out my units every year for Fantasy Fest, I can tell you there is always good availability Sun-Wed of that week. Thurs-Sun are the only nights I would label 'extremely popular'.

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
We are heading down in about 3 weeks as well and staying at sunset harbor. does anyone know if there are restrictions for using the pool?

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Just returned last night after a week at The Galleon. We had a wonderful stay there- our first time, using an RCI exchange ( we were lucky- came open the week before). We had a beautiful 2 bdrm water/pool view. Don’t know about any restrictions at Sunset Harbor, but there were no pool restrictions at our place.
We checked in on Saturday, the 19th and all bars and restaurants were open at limited capacity, with tables and bar stool separated . No standing at bars were allowed. These rules were strictly enforced, as least at the restaurants and bars we visited. Then.... Friday happened. Governor removed such restrictions as far as distancing and occupancy went, no fines for not wearing masks. Duval street was full of party-goers, with more people not wearing face masks than were, but honestly, it was that way last week also. Bars were crowded, people in groups huddled together..
Key West is back.
Have a wonderful time. But, be safe!!

Fitzriley

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Wyndham
Spent last week at Sunset Harbor in Key West. Stayed in our unit and all was fine. Masks are required in the main building for check in but no where else. Restrictions at the pool were limited to allowing only 26 in the pool at a time, but we never even got close to that amount. Most restaurants were opened and required masks to go inside and were ok to remove once you were at your table. If you needed to move around the restaurant, you needed a mask. Same restrictions as in NY. LaTeDa dining appeared the same as most seats are already outside, Blackfin was limited inside dining but has an outdoor patio and was fine. Half Shell, Latitudes, Conch Republic, all seemed fine. Wahlburgers has opened there and we tried it, inside dining. Seemed fine. Eaton Street Seafood still serves the best lobster rolls and we kayaked out of Hurricane Hole because Geiger Key kayaking was closed the day we went up. Fort Zachary Taylor beach was beautiful although I should have brought water shoes to make it over the coral to the water. Next time!

The only time I felt uncomfortable was on Duval on weekend nights as the crowd was loud, drunk and unmasked. We stayed away and were fine. No bars as they seemed risky (and not our thing anyway so no loss there).

Instead of flying this year from NY, we drove. Took about 32 hours down, longer home. Not sure I would do that again.....The benefit to the drive was we drove our Tesla and the ride was great. Lots of superchargers all the way, last one in Marathon. And the Hyatt parking is in the Margaritaville garage, which had EV charging available for free. So that was a great find.

Almost cancelled this trip, but after cancelling everything else this year we decided to go and I was glad we did.

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a request in for some Key West resorts but not Sunset Harbor because I read a review on Trip Advisor that said it only had stairs from parking. My husband has a scooter. Does anyone know if this is correct?

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
It's a parking garage so there is a sloped ramp where the cars drive on to get to the upper levels. We've also walked down that ramp before when we parked near the middle of it so he could probably use the scooter on that? Also, I'm not positive, but I do think they have handicapped parking on the lower level.

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @IslandTime. I may just add it to our ongoing search. I have the other two Westins in it now, plus the Galleon, all through II. We are not big partiers and have only been to the Keys once on a cruise, but my husband is very keen to visit for a longer period of time.

KProuty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, @IslandTime. I may just add it to our ongoing search. I have the other two Westins in it now, plus the Galleon, all through II. We are not big partiers and have only been to the Keys once on a cruise, but my husband is very keen to visit for a longer period of time.
Meant to say the other two Hyatts.

We got a Hyatt Beach House match! Hubby is excited for our first time there. Open to any tips!