• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
We have an upcoming stay in Key west, in about 3 weeks. I do know masks are manditory inside and out. Some "bars" are still closed. We also have the option of postponing until mid February.
A bit of our background, have been going to KW for many years. One of the first tourists to arrive after the Irma hurricane, with some businesses closed. We enjoyed our time and the staff and owners were very inviting, welcoming.
But this time it seems quite different. So I am reaching out to those who have been to Key West recently or live in the Key's. What has been your experience, would you make the trip now?

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We were in KW the week of July 4th and then again a couple weeks ago. We stayed at Sunset Harbor both times (15 nights total) and 2 nights at Windward Pointe and we enjoyed both stays very much. It was a different vibe but still the same Key West we love. We spent much more time in the pool during the day than we do during a "normal" week. The resort was quieter, as was the town during the week.

Weekends are still crazy busy but we avoided lower Duval at night and didn't stay out nearly as late as we usually do. I think we were only out after dark twice each trip and that's not normal for us. Or it wasn't anyway, but we really enjoyed our more laid back trips this year. There's still really good live music at the restaurants that are open - Smokin' Tuna, Hog's Breath (closed on Mon/Tues while we were there), Schooner Wharf Bar, Viva's, Sunset Pier, Island Dogs, Willie T's, Irish Kevin's and Rams Head are the ones that come to mind. While bars are still closed, some are open for to-go drinks only - Tattoos & Scars, Tree Bar, Tiki House, Green Parrot, Bull, Fat Tuesday's. Sloppy Joe's is still closed but will start selling to-go drinks on 9/4. Captain Tony's was only open for T-Shirt sales. KW just yesterday voted to allow seating at the bars inside restaurants so that should help with the vibe. Every single restaurant we were in was doing a good job with Covid requirements. None were overcrowded because they were adhering to capacity limits and social distancing. You had to be seated to be served.

We still ate out as much as we normally do and had pizza from Mr. Z's delivered one night during each visit. We stuck to mostly outside dining but did eat inside at a select few places - Banana Cafe, Harpoon Harry's, Sandbar. Most restaurants are open, though some have closed their doors for good - Lucy's, Roof Top Cafe, Paradise Pizza come to mind. Many empty stores on Duval but none that we would miss. I do miss Lucy's though. Great happy hour deals with half priced (or cheap) apps at First Flight and White Tarpon - we made meals out of those twice during our last visit.

Locals were very welcoming and happy to see us. We're not scheduled to be back in KW until December but I'm trying to talk my husband into going back again in a few weeks. Let me know if you have any specific questions about what's open or whatever. I'm happy to share our experience. :)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
What's going on at Mallory Square at night?

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We haven't gone to Mallory Square at all this year. We did go out on a sunset sail two weeks ago and when we sailed past there, it looked much quieter than normal. We could see people were there, but not the typical crowd.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Last time we were there was a cold, windy night in December. Almost no shows by the waterfront, the few that were there were tucked back by the buildings to get out of the cold wind. I imagine it's like that now with the crowd restrictions. Don't think I'd like it. at least the cat guy was there.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
We were in KW the week of July 4th and then again a couple weeks ago. We stayed at Sunset Harbor both times (15 nights total) and 2 nights at Windward Pointe and we enjoyed both stays very much. It was a different vibe but still the same Key West we love. We spent much more time in the pool during the day than we do during a "normal" week. The resort was quieter, as was the town during the week.

Weekends are still crazy busy but we avoided lower Duval at night and didn't stay out nearly as late as we usually do. I think we were only out after dark twice each trip and that's not normal for us. Or it wasn't anyway, but we really enjoyed our more laid back trips this year. There's still really good live music at the restaurants that are open - Smokin' Tuna, Hog's Breath (closed on Mon/Tues while we were there), Schooner Wharf Bar, Viva's, Sunset Pier, Island Dogs, Willie T's, Irish Kevin's and Rams Head are the ones that come to mind. While bars are still closed, some are open for to-go drinks only - Tattoos & Scars, Tree Bar, Tiki House, Green Parrot, Bull, Fat Tuesday's. Sloppy Joe's is still closed but will start selling to-go drinks on 9/4. Captain Tony's was only open for T-Shirt sales. KW just yesterday voted to allow seating at the bars inside restaurants so that should help with the vibe. Every single restaurant we were in was doing a good job with Covid requirements. None were overcrowded because they were adhering to capacity limits and social distancing. You had to be seated to be served.

We still ate out as much as we normally do and had pizza from Mr. Z's delivered one night during each visit. We stuck to mostly outside dining but did eat inside at a select few places - Banana Cafe, Harpoon Harry's, Sandbar. Most restaurants are open, though some have closed their doors for good - Lucy's, Roof Top Cafe, Paradise Pizza come to mind. Many empty stores on Duval but none that we would miss. I do miss Lucy's though. Great happy hour deals with half priced (or cheap) apps at First Flight and White Tarpon - we made meals out of those twice during our last visit.

Locals were very welcoming and happy to see us. We're not scheduled to be back in KW until December but I'm trying to talk my husband into going back again in a few weeks. Let me know if you have any specific questions about what's open or whatever. I'm happy to share our experience. :)

Thanks for the info on your trip. Kind of what I expected but now know. Is the Commodore open? Best happy hour in KY.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

How is Windward Pointe? It seems off the beaten path. Are there restaurants within walking distance? Do they have a shuttle to Duval St? Have you ever stayed at Beach House? I'm assuming you like Sunset Harbor the most since you stayed there 2 weeks. Just curious, the pros and cons of all 3 of them, and does Beach house really have a beach? thx

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
We have Never stayed at beach house or Windward. I was told no shuttle at Windward but there is bus and taxi as options. Nothing really that close. Beach house is in an area of new town with more comercial nearby. We like sunset because duval is 2 blocks away. The loop is 1 block. Only down side to SS is that the cruise ships can make the area a bit congested until 400ish when they leave.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Thanks for the info on your trip. Kind of what I expected but now know. Is the Commodore open? Best happy hour in KY.
Commodore is not open right now - it's moving (along with Boat House) to the location that was formerly Turtle Kraals. I don't know when they plan to reopen but we walked by the new location several times during the week we were in town and it didn't look like any work was being done. They could be waiting on permits or something. Nothing happens quickly in Key West. lol White Tarpon is now open where Boat House was.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
How is Windward Pointe? It seems off the beaten path. Are there restaurants within walking distance? Do they have a shuttle to Duval St? Have you ever stayed at Beach House? I'm assuming you like Sunset Harbor the most since you stayed there 2 weeks. Just curious, the pros and cons of all 3 of them, and does Beach house really have a beach? thx
We liked Windward Pointe and would stay there again but we prefer to stay in old town. WP is right next to the airport and there are only two restaurants in that area within easy walking distance - La Trottoria Oceanside and Benihana. You'd need transportation to go anywhere else. The ocean is across the street, but the nearest beach is about a mile away. Nice snack bar by the large pool area.

We haven't stayed at Beach House. I think they do have a small sandy beach area, but I'm not positive about that.

Sunset Harbor is definitely our favorite - it's our home resort and we stay there multiple times a year, every year. It's the smallest of the three, but in the best location in old town where you can walk or bike to everything. There are no cruise ships sailing right now so no congestion around the area at all. No pool bar or restaurant onsite, but so many places within a quick walk that we don't miss it. We just take our own drinks to the pool.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Take a look at the pictures of Beach House on Google Maps and you can see what the waterfront looks like. It looks like a beautiful resort. But like Windward Pointe, it's far away from old town so you'd need transportation. From there you could easily walk to Tavern 'N Town inside Marriott Beachside, but that's about it. Hurricane Hole is across the street and not far, but it's across a very busy street.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the pictures of Beach House on Google Maps and you can see what the waterfront looks like. It looks like a beautiful resort. But like Windward Pointe, it's far away from old town so you'd need transportation. From there you could easily walk to Tavern 'N Town inside Marriott Beachside, but that's about it. Hurricane Hole is across the street and not far, but it's across a very busy street.
We've stayed at Beach House twice and really enjoyed the property as well as the restaurant next door. We did take the shuttle a few times, which was very convenient. Our style of traveling is to do so much during the day that we rarely go out after dinner, so the location suited us fine. It wouldn't be great for anyone who was looking to party downtown

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've stayed at Beach House twice and really enjoyed the property as well as the restaurant next door. We did take the shuttle a few times, which was very convenient. Our style of traveling is to do so much during the day that we rarely go out after dinner, so the location suited us fine. It wouldn't be great for anyone who was looking to party downtown
Thank you! So Beach house has a shuttle, good to know. Is there a real beach there? In the pictures it looks like a bay with a little bit of sand for entry.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
I may be wrong, but I believe Beach House no longer has a shuttle. If you take a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor, many of them going back to 2016 mention that it would be nice if there was a shuttle.

I wouldn't consider it a "real" beach, but more like what you're describing - a bay with some sand. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the beaches in Key West, but they're nothing like the long sandy white beaches we have on the mainland.

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I may be wrong, but I believe Beach House no longer has a shuttle. If you take a look at the reviews on TripAdvisor, many of them going back to 2016 mention that it would be nice if there was a shuttle.

I wouldn't consider it a "real" beach, but more like what you're describing - a bay with some sand. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the beaches in Key West, but they're nothing like the long sandy white beaches we have on the mainland.
Years ago I remember Smather’s beach was one of the top 10 beaches in the US and I remember chatting with someone from KW and she couldn’t believe it. Lol

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Windward last April. The bus stops right out front. Quick ride downtown. We usually took an Uber back (about $14)

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at Windward last April. The bus stops right out front. Quick ride downtown. We usually took an Uber back (about $14)
Thank you so much! Exactly what I needed to know.

Reactions: LMD

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Yesterday I received an II exchange confirmation for the Banyan Resort for August 2021. We have never stayed there, but have seen the front of the building from the street. It looks very nice from the outside.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Yesterday I received an II exchange confirmation for the Banyan Resort for August 2021. We have never stayed there, but have seen the front of the building from the street. It looks very nice from the outside.

I call the Sunset a "new style" Key West. The Banyon I call "old style" Key West. The units can be a bit smaller but the grounds, pools, small bar area is great. And very close to the Duval Street action.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Exactly what I needed to know.
The cool thing....there is an app/web page that allows you to see where the bus is on route so you know how to time when you get outside to the stop.

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
th th of
We have an upcoming stay in Key west, in about 3 weeks. I do know masks are manditory inside and out. Some "bars" are still closed. We also have the option of postponing until mid February.
A bit of our background, have been going to KW for many years. One of the first tourists to arrive after the Irma hurricane, with some businesses closed. We enjoyed our time and the staff and owners were very inviting, welcoming.
But this time it seems quite different. So I am reaching out to those who have been to Key West recently or live in the Key's. What has been your experience, would you make the trip now?
We just booked through RCI a week at the Galleon starting on the 19th of this month. I called the resort last night and spoke to a lovely lady who told me that yes, bars and restaurants are open, although there are some that are still closed. She told me the bar in the resort, however, is only open to guests who are registered there. Never been to Key West except for a stop on a cruise. Looking forward to it. BTW any comments on the Galleon?

Last edited:

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We just booked through RCI a week at the Galleon starting on the 19th of this month. I called the resort last night and spoke to a lovely lady who told me that yes, bars and restaurants are open, although there are some that are still closed. She told me the bar in the resort, however, is only open to guests who are registered there. Never been to Key West except for a stop on a cruise. Looking forward to it. BTW any comments on the Galleon?
Love the Galleon - we've stayed there before and we have friends who own there so we've spent a good deal of time on the property. It's true the tiki bar is currently only open to guests staying at the Galleon right now. It's been that way since the Keys opened back up on June 1. I hope that changes sometime in the near future because we miss going there for the two for one Bloody Marys. Did she say if it's open for seating? The last I heard they were doing take out only.

I had to edit this to say you're going to love the location of the Galleon - so many great places nearby within easy walking distance. If you walk out to the front of the Galleon and turn right, it's an easy walk to Duval Street. But if you turn to the left on the harbor walk, there are a lot of good restaurants (some with live music) on the water.

Not all "bars" are open because they were shut down a couple months ago by the state and that order has not been lifted yet. Restaurants with bars inside can be open, as well as bars that are licensed as restaurants. We're hearing rumors that there may be some changes coming in Florida within the next couple weeks, but I'm not sure if that means increased occupancy in restaurants or if bars will be able to open with restrictions. I guess we'll find out when it happens. Key West has been more restrictive than most of the state though, so it remains to be seen how they'll handle it if the governor allows bars to reopen. Many places are open for to-go drinks but part of what we love about KW is the ability to sit at the bar at Flying Monkeys or Tree Bar and people watch. Flying Monkeys is fully open, so that was our go-to during the day in June/July since Tree Bar wasn't open.

Last edited:

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
We've stayed at Banyan a couple times in a one bedroom unit. I agree with AJC, it's very much old Key West style (or old Florida style) right down to the furnishings. If you've seen it from the street, you know it's a great location. It's very close to First Flight (great happy hour) and Smokin' Tuna - our favorite place for live music.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
UPDATE: Looks like some more bars in KW have opened in the past few days that I wasn't aware of until today - which means they're serving some kind of food now. Some of the bars in Rick's (Durty Harry's and Rick's downstairs) are now open but I think Tree Bar is still to-go drinks only. The Green Room also opened, as well as 22&Co (tutu bar) - they have hot dogs. :cheer: