• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Sunset Harbor

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I've never need one. On FB group - Owners Only Sunset Harbor Key West, https://www.facebook.com/groups/563001245609814/ it said to be something like 50.00 or 75.00 per week per week, a small charge but passes are limited. And for those who don' know yuo can have groceries delivered from Publix online with instacart.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
Thank you very much! That is surprising, since I was there 3 years ago it was only $15 per week. Yes, please update me. I'm traveling in January. We also like to travel to other keys, Stock Island, etc.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Newport Coast, Marriott's Aruba Ocean Club, Villa Del Palmar Cancun, El Cid Marina & Yacht Club, Four Seasons Aviara
I've never need one. On FB group - Owners Only Sunset Harbor Key West, https://www.facebook.com/groups/563001245609814/ it said to be something like 50.00 or 75.00 per week per week, a small charge but passes are limited. And for those who don' know yuo can have groceries delivered from Publix online with instacart.
I'm aware of the grocery deliveries. But, that is not my primary reason for renting a car. We just like to explore! I own two properties at Sunset Harbor, so typically we get a better deal on the parking.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called this AM. The parking rate is $25 per week for owners and $25 per day for all others.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called this AM. The parking rate is $25 per week for owners and $25 per day for all others.
Thanks for coming back with what you found. This is what I recall as well, but I do believe you are limited to 1 car per unit (which may perhaps extend to two cars if you've got a lock-off) at the "owners" rate of $25 for the week.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Since you aren't really adding anything new to the conversation, I would agree that it is ranting.

I know this is an old thread, but I disagree that @ScoopKona wasn't adding anything new in the post you quoted.
He indirectly/inelegantly suggested calling Sunset Harbor (the correct source) to get an answer.
This is the same gist as what you suggested right after Scoop's post.

It's a pet peeve of mine that people, like the OP, ask questions before trying to find out answers for themselves.
Happened quite often in my former business because it's easier for them & usually shorter time to ask and get answer than
try to find/figure it out themselves.

---

I would suggest calling the resort directly to ask them. They would have an idea of how much parking is at the garage.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I know this is an old thread, but I disagree that @ScoopKona wasn't adding anything new in the post you quoted.
He indirectly/inelegantly suggested calling Sunset Harbor (the correct source) to get an answer.

It's a pet peeve of mine that people, like the OP, ask questions before trying to find out answers for themselves.
Happened quite often in my former business because it's easier for them & usually shorter time to ask and get answer than
I agree. Most often a Google search will turn up many answers, especially when it is related to a business. Trying to direct the thread is futile also, but only in Scoops last post did he suggest calling directly for the answer. My issue was the three posts between those that argued you don't need a car. The OP wanted a car. Why should we are why they wanted a car? But the first dozen posts are just a back and forth between Scoop and the OP. It seemed that Scoop was more worried about what future readers of the thread might need of his inspirational wisdom than trying to answer the question. A better response would have been "sorry, I don't know".

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

And at the end of the day, I want people to enjoy themselves in my home town. And the best way to do that is no scooters. No cars. No driving. No chance of a DUI. Walk and enjoy. Take a cab/uber if necessary. The dividend for the little bit of effort is a much better experience.

I didn't own a car in Key West. I managed to make it for decades with just a bicycle. (I don't even recommend bikes for tourists. The cops give DUIs for biking under the influence. I got off with warnings because I knew everyone in town.)

People with mobility issues should take cabs everywhere. Key West is not a friendly place for people with mobility issues. The town is small, crowded, and 50 years behind the times when it comes to walkways and ADA compliance.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I agree. Most often a Google search will turn up many answers, especially when it is related to a business. Trying to direct the thread is futile also, but only in Scoops last post did he suggest calling directly for the answer. My issue was the three posts between those that argued you don't need a car. The OP wanted a car. Why should we are why they wanted a car? But the first dozen posts are just a back and forth between Scoop and the OP. It seemed that Scoop was more worried about what future readers of the thread might need of his inspirational wisdom than trying to answer the question. A better response would have been "sorry, I don't know".
True the posts were more argumentative than usual
However I'm giving Scoop a little more benefit of the doubt, as a former long-time Key West resident. Locals and former locals have different perspectives/ biases than tourists. I've been to Key West and it's not a big place, and I can see how congested it could be for locals and tourists alike if a lot of tourists bring cars on island. It's a double-edged sword for tourist dependent areas. For example, as a former resident of Honolulu, I SMH on things I hear tourists do even when advised not to. Such as when high surf is up on the North Shore, and advisories go out for only locals living there to drive into the area, the lookilus drive up there and help snarl traffic, and possibly put themselves at risk when waves reach the roadway.

Last edited:

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Since I am the "OP", your pet peeve makes no sense to me. Why should anyone waste time researching when someone here may be able to answer the question easily?? Again, If someone isn't able to be helpful, there is no need to respond. I didn't ask opinions about renting a car. Since I have lived in Key West, I know what I want to do while I am there. I simply wanted an update on the parking cost.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Scoop has been very helpful over the years on this forum, so I will defend him. His response could have easily have been ignored, which is a good practice on public forums.

But I will also say that he is also not considering those of us who drive down to Key West and HAVE TO park our car.

Warning - you can expect the stairs in the parking deck to smell strongly of urine (any mabye other things). Do you leave anything valuable in your car.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm thinking you should call again as those rates do not sound completely accurate. The rates have varied by ownership type. IE: SH owners pay the lowest rate, HRC owners pay a little more, II exchanges and renters pay the most. So suggest you clarify your status if you call again.

FWIW: The deck is owned by the adjacent hotel, but anyone can park in it as it is open to the public - the cost is $30.00 per day. -

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have visited Key West more than 20 times, each for 1 week. One time I had a car and it sat in the parking garage almost the whole time. Hyatt gives a discount pass for the garage. It was $5/wk but now I believe it's closer to $10+/wk Retail rate is Maybe $30/nite. If you have a burning desire to drive around, just rent a car for a day or use Uber. ScoopKona is an EXCELLENT source of information. Bad mouthing him or any other poster here speaks VOLUMES about the poster. Paying $210 for the week's parking is almost like real money. If you drive down to Key West, there are other options for longer term parking in Key West. One is the public parking garage in Old Town.

Last edited:

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sigh... My question was about the rate currently being charged for HSH owners. Any posts regarding the positives or negatives of renting a car in Key West should be placed in another post. I've lived in Key West and visit frequently, so I know that I prefer to rent a car. According to Hyatt Sunset Harbor, parking for owners is $25 per week. Posts that are not relevant to my specific question are unwanted. Again, everyone is able to create a post with their opinions.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have visited Key West more than 20 times, each for 1 week. One time I had a car and it sat in the parking garage almost the whole time. Hyatt gives a discount pass for the garage. It was $5/nite but now I believe it's closer to $10+/nite. Retail rate is Maybe $30/nite. If you have a burning desire to drive around, just rent a car for a day or use Uber. ScoopKona is an EXCELLENT source of information. Bad mouthing him or any other poster here speaks VOLUMES about the poster. Paying $210 for the week's parking is almost like real money. If you drive down to Key West, there are other options for longer term parking in Key West. One is the public parking garage in Old Town.
This post is not relevant to my original question. Perhaps you should post elsewhere where someone is interested in your opinion about renting a car in Key West.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have visited Key West more than 20 times, each for 1 week. One time I had a car and it sat in the parking garage almost the whole time. Hyatt gives a discount pass for the garage. It was $5/nite but now I believe it's closer to $10+/nite. Retail rate is Maybe $30/nite. If you have a burning desire to drive around, just rent a car for a day or use Uber. ScoopKona is an EXCELLENT source of information. Bad mouthing him or any other poster here speaks VOLUMES about the poster. Paying $210 for the week's parking is almost like real money. If you drive down to Key West, there are other options for longer term parking in Key West. One is the public parking garage in Old Town.
Interesting response, since I had specifically requested that Scoop not reply unless he had relevant information to my question. He clearly ignored my request. He insisted on making his opinion known. The debate on whether or not to rent a car in Key West should be in another post. Having lived in Key West for a few years, I am well aware of what I want to do when I visit. I do not consider asking him to leave this post to be bad mouthing him at all, just asking him to share his opinion elsewhere. I am quite sure there are many on here that would welcome his input. Just not me.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sincerely regret ever posting this question and will definitely not consider TUG a good place for further information.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm thinking you should call again as those rates do not sound completely accurate. The rates have varied by ownership type. IE: SH owners pay the lowest rate, HRC owners pay a little more, II exchanges and renters pay the most. So suggest you clarify your status if you call again.

FWIW: The deck is owned by the adjacent hotel, but anyone can park in it as it is open to the public - the cost is $30.00 per day. -
I received this reply from HSH today:
Hyatt Residence Club Key West, Sunset Harbor

Thank you for the clarification Tina. With your owner status, your parking is $25 per week and not per night. We apologize for the incorrect information earlier.

JustynaC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, this experience has really turned me off on participating on these forums. It is sad that a member cannot ask a simple question, and expect a simple response, rather than some one else hi-jacking the post for their own opinions. As I have said before, they could create their own post to share their opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: Kal

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
"How much is the parking garage next to Sunset Harbor?"

"Hey there, I live here and I'd recommend not even having a car, walking/biking or Uber is a much more pleasant way to experience Key West in my opinion."

"How dare you not just answer my question by supplying the price of the garage !!! I'm reporting you!!!!"

Seems like a bit of an overreaction.