• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Restaurants

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’ve been to Key West many times, but are wondering which restaurants everyone likes the best for dinner. A little bit upscale would be preferred.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my list perfected over 20 years; some upscale, some funky, but all good and often unique to Key West. Make sure you do a web search to look at menu's and pricing.

Attachments

• Key West Eats 2022.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 56

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Here's my list perfected over 20 years; some upscale, some funky, but all good and often unique to Key West. Make sure you do a web search to look at menu's and pricing.

It's criminal not to have Green Parrot at the top of the bar list. It's not just the best bar in Key West. It's the best in the entire country. I've never seen a place that punches so far above its weight when it comes to booking live music.

I also disagree with most of the restaurant list. Key West suffers from the same problem as Hawaii -- since they have a captive market, most places simply don't try very hard. It is better to go with the less-expensive joints like B.O.'s, Schooner's and El Siboney. The food is solid, unfussy, and not overpriced. Mo's used to be the epitome of this in Key West. Then Mo and Rena retired. Hasn't been the same since. Furthermore, so many of "the good guys" have shuttered -- Turtle Kraals, Waterfront Market, Bistro 245. We had breakfast -- con leche and cheese toast -- every morning at Sandy's Cafe, which became the best in town when La Dichosa closed.

I have no problems paying a lot of money for an outstanding meal. But with some of the prices Key West is charging, I expect a couple Michelin stars on the door.

Key West is better about using local fish than Hawaii is, though. There's that, at least. Still, too many places are pouring frozen food from a bag straight into a deep fryer and charging top dollar. Such places are counting on their customers not knowing any better. And the faster these restaurants are run out of business, the better.

Last time I returned home, I ate at the Conch Fritter Stand at Sunset Celebration, Schooner's, El Siboney (twice), and Dion's Quick Stop fried chicken. All the rest of my meals were prepared at home -- that way I knew where the hogfish and shrimp came from.

It truly breaks my heart that this is the state of affairs in Key West. In my youth, the bar happy hours were throwing down outstanding food for the cost of a beer -- Viva Zapata's, Bogart's, and Schooner's had better food than what you can get at most of today's restaurants. In addition, we had all those above restaurants which have since closed. And innumerable others such as Cafe Alia, Louie's Backyard, Goldie's Conch Salad. It's terrible to watch your home slide into decline.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's criminal not to have Green Parrot at the top of the bar list. It's not just the best bar in Key West. It's the best in the entire country. I've never seen a place that punches so far above its weight when it comes to booking live music.

I also disagree with most of the restaurant list. Key West suffers from the same problem as Hawaii -- since they have a captive market, most places simply don't try very hard. It is better to go with the less-expensive joints like B.O.'s, Schooner's and El Siboney. The food is solid, unfussy, and not overpriced. Mo's used to be the epitome of this in Key West. Then Mo and Rena retired. Hasn't been the same since. Furthermore, so many of "the good guys" have shuttered -- Turtle Kraals, Waterfront Market, Bistro 245. We had breakfast -- con leche and cheese toast -- every morning at Sandy's Cafe, which became the best in town when La Dichosa closed.

I have no problems paying a lot of money for an outstanding meal. But with some of the prices Key West is charging, I expect a couple Michelin stars on the door.

Key West is better about using local fish than Hawaii is, though. There's that, at least. Still, too many places are pouring frozen food from a bag straight into a deep fryer and charging top dollar. Such places are counting on their customers not knowing any better. And the faster these restaurants are run out of business, the better.

Last time I returned home, I ate at the Conch Fritter Stand at Sunset Celebration, Schooner's, El Siboney (twice), and Dion's Quick Stop fried chicken. All the rest of my meals were prepared at home -- that way I knew where the hogfish and shrimp came from.

It truly breaks my heart that this is the state of affairs in Key West. In my youth, the bar happy hours were throwing down outstanding food for the cost of a beer -- Viva Zapata's, Bogart's, and Schooner's had better food than what you can get at most of today's restaurants. In addition, we had all those above restaurants which have since closed. And innumerable others such as Cafe Alia, Louie's Backyard, Goldie's Conch Salad. It's terrible to watch your home slide into decline.
OMG - How could I not list Green Parrot. I just take it for granite. Then too GAS STATION CHICKEN! That has to be the best EVER. I suspect anyone looking for BO's will not find it as it looks like a junk yard. The best grouper sandwich to die for. One of the times we were there we passed a guy pushing a piano up the street. Yep, he was heading to BO's for happy hour. Of course, maybe I need a separate list of my places:
- Eaton Street Seafood Market - absolute best fresh fish including "Big Reds" and snow grouper
- Gas Station Chicken - at least twice
- Green Parrot - don't miss the Sound Check
- Schooner - Just to see if Michael is still alive; spend 5 hours on the water w/ non-stop drinks
- Virgilio's - Martini Monday (tossing down 7 causes major navigational issues in getting home at 1 am)
- Smokin' Tuna & Hog's Breath - see what kind of bands are playing
- Harpoon Harry's - a real time dial back
- Duetto - great pizza
- BO's - of course
- 5 Brothers - Sit on the outside bench having Cafe con Leche and Cuban grilled Panini
- Cafe Sole - BEST Hogfish snapper in town!

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've only been once, but we ate several times at El Siboney and Eaton Street Fish Market. We liked the local neighborhood places over the touristy Duval St dives.

Lobster roll with a side of conch fritters at Eaton St, then I took some Pinks back to our unit, absolutely stuffed myself with them, OD'd!

Reactions: Kal

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
El Siboney was our favorite meal when we visited.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
IMO, there are plenty of average (food quality) places to get food. a handful of good, cheap (for Key west) places like Harpoon Harry's, Mr. Z's. for a slice, Garbo's, and the upscale establishments. We typically avoid those, since we prefer the "old key west' over the trending upscale movement. Green Parrot, Smokin Tuna, Hanks, General horse play some of my favorite music and drinks places.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your advice. As I said, we have been going for years and my parents lived in Islamorada, but we always seem to go to the same places and I wanted to try some new ones.