• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

KBV News letter - the resort is in bad shape

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What if, as the majority owners, Wyndham votes to end the property as a timeshare, tear it down and build something much more profitable? The minority owners would only get a token reimbursement.
Denise - I think it's possible that you might be underestimating the hurdles associated with development of a new project in Kaua'i, especially an ocean front site. And especially if such a project is going to result in an increase in tourism. I perceive a substantial local sentiment that Kaua'i is beyond max capacity with tourists, and projects that would add to that load have significant difficulty.

For at least 15 years Diamond has been trying to create a new building somewhere in Hawaii, with no success. If you are familiar with the Kona area, there is property on Alii Drive next to Kona Reef, which for years has been the foundation for an uncompleted building. They acquired some type of interest in that property, with the intent to complete a new project on a parcel that was already zoned for a new project, had been issued (now-expired) permits, and is an eye-sore. They weren't able to do it. Ultimately, they resorted to acquiring the Modern property in Waikiki, which was an existing building.

For years various people have been trying to do something with the CoCo Palms property, to no avail. (And I recognize there are some cultural clashes with that project.)

And should a tear-down rebuild project gain traction at the KBV site, I'm sure that opposing groups could find some cultural issue associated with the site that would suffice to mothball the project.

The only near ocean projects that seem to get permitted on Kaua'i there days are subdivision projects. Most resort and condo projects are mauka. But with restrictions on short-term rentals, that means those properties are being sold to individual owners who will occupy the units, whether full time or part time (with a limited amount of black market short-term rental).

tango

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a bit more info for those curious. I called the number for Certified Exit by Wyndham to find out my options. I own an unconverted every other year week free and clear. I was informed that I could participate in their exit program to have my week taken back without any cost or reimbursement. It would take about 22 weeks to complete. This is as the program exists at this time and could change. As an aside, I have recently made my maintenance payment, and had a week scheduled to visit later this year. If I started my exit now, my week would be lost. I would have to start an exit after my vacation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Has anyone stayed at KBV recently? Are there any signs of repairs or renovations going on?

LuvscoutII

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We have this booked in a week and half. I received an email tonight that two ocean view buildings have been unexpectedly vacated and closed down. I had to be downgraded to either a 2 bedroom lagoon or two one bedroom units. Since I’m in a time crunch I don’t have a lot of options. I made a selection but am going to call Wyndham to see if there might be another property.
Jen

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tried making a reservation today. The reservation person said they were told they can't book any ocean views for all of 2023 right now.

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the phone as a floating weeks owner, or as a Wyndham Points owner?

I'm a KBV owner (never converted to points and never will) and made a reservation by phone. Called 11:45am Pacific time, was on hold for about 30 minutes. I was able to get a Lagoon room early June 2023.

I feel bad for the reservation folks who have to hear people complaining about not having Ocean view available.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As a former owner at KBV, I'm curious: I knew about the balconies being condemned and marked off limits due to safety issues, but is this latest thing more than that? And if the oceanfront buildings are closed to timeshare visitors, what about the fully-owned units in G and H buildings? Are those residents locked out, too? They pay such high HOA fees to own there, I think I'd be screaming to high heavens about lack of proper maintenance.

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think the condition of the lanais has deteriorated - there were some posts about falling debris from the OF lanais.

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
Tried making a reservation today. The reservation person said they were told they can't book any ocean views for all of 2023 right now.
The G and H buildings are being torn apart and fixed and they can’t have people in them. Makes sense!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Which Management Company is most responsible for the obvious years of failure to Maintain?

LuvscoutII

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have seen a few owners in both closed buildings using the balconies so they must be full time owners. I guess they are exempt from the closure. The balconies look like they are disinteresting. We’ve seen some workers around but no real work that we can tell. Maybe it’s all internal.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the government inspect this type of building problems to ensure the safety of timeshare guests staying at this resort?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If they have the votes to end the resort's existance as a timeshare, they have no obligation to build another timeshare. They could build multi-million dollar condos (local regulations permitting of course.) They could build something that would be a lot more profitable to Wyndham.

Or maybe they would build high-end timeshares and sell them for $50-$100K like the top level resorts do.

In simplest terms: How can you trust them after they rigged the election to take control of the resort?
Maybe you already know this, but a Wyndham Platinum Founder's level member pays well over $100K for that membership, which is about 3-5 deeded weeks on Kauai, especially as an oceanfront resort. Even the 2 bedrooms at Bali Hai are 308,000 points, and that doesn't have an ocean or a short walk to the ocean.

If Wyndham intends to take the entire resort down and rebuild it, they would pay a stipend for each week, but at least you would maybe get something.

I hope that is not what they will do, for the sake of owners who love it so much.

Wyndham, to me, is the scum of the timeshare industry, and I think Bluegreen is right behind. Maybe I don't want them to take over the Soleil Managed properties on Maui.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
So this is an older post and I missed it originally.

Did anyone pay a special assessment?

schenriq

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Floating week owner here. I tried to reserve a Dec 2023 at any oceanfront building. No dice. I was told maybe late 2024 o_O for an oceanfront. I shall call again tomorrow to see if the song changes. I'm having doubts now about our continued ownership there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So the ocean front units are going to be shut down for more than 2 years. Great job Wyndham!

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
This thread makes me thankful I gave away my two oceanfront units five years ago--before Wyndham took control again. But I still think this is the best location on the island, so I'm sad the buildings are in such bad shape.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Floating week owner here. I tried to reserve a Dec 2023 at any oceanfront building.
Are you being given the option of booking a Lagoon View 2BR instead, or just "sorry, there isn't anything"?

There don't appear \to be any oceanfront units via wyn points either, so at least they are being consistent.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you being given the option of booking a Lagoon View 2BR instead, or just "sorry, there isn't anything"?

I called again; left a message. Got a callback and was told that I can book a week at Building F so I booked a week there instead of my first choice at Building H.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,

The next KBV IOA BOD meeting is October 12, 2022 at 1:00 PM HST.

Owners interested in logging on in view & listen mode who are not already on the list of interested owners should contact Ihilani and request to receive log in info.
Her email:
ihilani.kali@wyn.com

Jack

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are allowing Oceanfront owners to reserve Bldg. F or units in other view categories. For instance, if the dates you want are not available in Bldg. F - you can reserve a Lagoon View unit.

I also asked if Oceanfront owners would be disadvantaged by not being able to deposit an Oceanfront reservation, and she said no, that RCI only looked at the size. The Oceanfront units are 2bdm/2ba - but I'm not sure if other views have 2 bathrooms.

Last edited: