• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai with an 11 year old

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Next year, we have an odd Maui schedule, arriving mid-week because of middle daughter's high school sports schedule.

So, I'm thinking about taking Jack to a different island, leaving on the previous Saturday and then joining up with family on Maui. I gave him the choice of HHV, Waikoloa Village, or WPORV (what a life this kid has). :doh:

I was very surprised that he didn't pick HHV or Waikoloa Village, but then we absolutely loved pier jumping in Hanalei Bay last year. It was a great experience for the both of us, and I was impressed that was the memory that came to mind for him. So, Kauai is the leading contender.

Except that, pier jumping is about a 2 hour adventure.

I was curious what adventures others would recommend on Kauai to fill the other three days. I'm sure we would hike somewhere and likely do an excursion, but any beaches that are beginning/intermediate boogie boarding (like Hapuna Beach) that are near WPORV?

Any other favorite excursions that would be good for a Dad and son?

Please advise and thanks!

Best,

Greg

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
We enjoyed zip lining and hiking to the highest swamp in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Kaui, so I can't offer legit suggestions, but I wanted to say how happy I am that you get to spend this type of quality time with your kid(s). We didn't have the money for travel when the kids were growing up and I am finding that whenever I go anywhere now, I think about how much fun it would have been when they were younger.

This is on my bucket list for Kaui:
http://www.kauaikayaktour.com/

Kayak down the river and then hike to the waterfall. It is not for the meek or physically impaired. I think it would be perfect for a dad and his son. :)

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Next year, we have an odd Maui schedule, arriving mid-week because of middle daughter's high school sports schedule.

So, I'm thinking about taking Jack to a different island, leaving on the previous Saturday and then joining up with family on Maui. I gave him the choice of HHV, Waikoloa Village, or WPORV (what a life this kid has). :doh:

I was very surprised that he didn't pick HHV or Waikoloa Village, but then we absolutely loved pier jumping in Hanalei Bay last year. It was a great experience for the both of us, and I was impressed that was the memory that came to mind for him. So, Kauai is the leading contender.

I was curious what adventures others would recommend on Kauai to fill the other three days. I'm sure we would hike somewhere and likely do an excursion, but any beaches that are beginning/intermediate boogie boarding (like Hapuna Beach) that are near WPORV?

Best,

Greg
You could go to Pali Ke Kua beach (Hideaways) near the St. Regis. In addition to their secluded portion of Puu Poa, they have a steep trail that you can traverse to get to Hideaways. It is quiet and nice to snorkel there. I went in the morning and it was a really nice time.

I wouldn't drive all the way from Lihue just for that, but I think you were leaning towards WPORV from your message.

-ryan

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, sounds like a fun time. If you both like kayaking, go up the river to or past the Fern Grotto. A hike in part of Waimea Canyon might be fun too (bring water) if you don't mind driving that far. A helicopter tour would be great if you haven't done that with him yet. Take a zodiac tour along the NaPali Coast, which goes into sea caves from what I have heard.

Have a great time.

Mike

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Best,

Greg

I'd also add -- are you interested in scuba diving? I ask because I am looking forward to when my daughters are old enough to go diving. Kauai has such beautiful areas to dive -- clear visibility on most days and warm enough to get away with wearing a shortie wetsuit during the summer.

2-3 days is probably not enough to get certified, but maybe something to think about for Maui or the next father-son trip. :)

-ryan

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I really enjoyed hiking the Hanakapi'ai trail. This is the beginning of the Kalalau trail and is a two mile strenuous hike to a cool beach. From there you could go another two miles to a cool waterfall. Just remeber you'll have to walk back the same distance. You should take A LOT of water for this hike. Take a backpack with several half liter bottles for each of you. Also make sure you wear comfortable shoes. It would be difficult to do with flip flops or sandals.

It is strenuous to walk up the Pali, but you get some outstanding views. The trail start at Ke'e Beach, at the end of the road that goes through Hanalei. You'll need to get there early to find parking, as he beach is pretty popular.

We also enjoyed kayaking near Kapa'a. That was also somewhat strenuous, but fun. We went on a tour with the company that is just off the main highway at the mouth of the river there. I can't remeber the name right now. You kayak up the river, then get to a place where you hike a few minutes to get to a very nice waterfall. I think the tour also stops by the fern grotto and another place where you can jump off a rock into the river. We'll probably do this trip again sometime in the future.

You should also get the Kauai Revealed book. It tells you how to get to many places you wouldn't know about if you drove past them. There's a series of books that covers all the Hawaiian Islands, but I find the one for Kauai is the best. I have a companion app for my iPhone and iPad that has all the locations on a map, and you can see yourself moving on the map as you approach them. It was very useful.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you use the search function and search for Kauai Activities you will find a lot of good suggestions in the old threads.

I think Waimea Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, is a must see. Take a lunch and make a day of it or eat at the Ko'kee cafe. This is the mountains complete with forests, fog, and cool weather - you will want to take sweat shirts or wind breakers.

You can also rent bikes and ride several miles along the paved ocean-side bike path starting in Kapa'a.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Horseback Riding

There is a company in the Princeville Ranch area that offers horseback riding but I can't remember the name of it. There should be a coupon in one of the local magazines though. The ride is not on the beach but on a trail inland toward the mountains. They say you should take mosquito repellant with you. I haven't done this yet but it's definitely on my bucket list for WPORV next time.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We loved Wings Over Kauai. It was fun flying in the small plane and everyone
Gets a good view. Took this photo, along with about 100 others on our flight.

image.jpg

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
any beaches that are beginning/intermediate boogie boarding (like Hapuna Beach) that are near WPORV?

My kids did that at Hanalei Beach when they were young. They also took surf lesson there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We also loved doing the Sleeping Giant trail. We did the east trail. It was listed
As moderate. I'm not in great shape but I did it easily. There are a lot of rocks
On the trail so you have to be careful not to twist an ankle. It will get slick with
Rain too. Here's a picture from our hike.

image.jpg

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We have our favorites but we're not eleven anymore ;). I was going to suggest a trip to the Na Pali coast with Captain Andy's, but considering your son's age I agree wholeheartedly with the zodiac trip. Those are so fun!

We have snorkeled at Hideaways and the day that we went it was pretty rough so snorkeling was a bust, but my husband and the kids had fun swimming in the waves. This was in July, btw. Getting down to the beach was a fun adventure, and of course my girls climbed the rocks behind the beach.

There's also a mini golf place near Kilauea that's pretty fun for an hour or two. And as long as you are on Kauai, hit up Puka Dog and the Wishing Well shave ice.

You guys are going to have the best time!

Also, I would prefer Waiohai over WPORV (if you have a choice) because of beach access. Or if you have access to Hyatt points, you could stay a few days at the Grand Hyatt. Their pools are kid-awesome.

n777lt

TUG Member
Reaction score
A big thumbs up for the kayaking - and not just up the river. There's a sea kayaking route along the southern coast, and when we did it many years ago, my boys, in their early teens, had their own two person kayak, shot way ahead of all us grown-ups and encountered a couple of dolphins who started to cavort around with them! Definitely one of the highlights of that trip (hiking the Sleeping Giant was another).

Also a scuba certification course - it will serve him for a lifetime. Have a great time!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Queen's Bath would be great depending on what time of year you're going. A small hike, and some great swimming and/or cliff diving.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Queen's Bath would be great depending on what time of year you're going. A small hike, and some great swimming and/or cliff diving.
Keep in mind that Queen's Bath can be extremely dangerous at certain times of year and in inclement weather. Strong swimmers have lost their lives after being suddenly swept out to sea. I would be very cautious before deciding to take my children there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

These are excellent suggestions and I really appreciate them -- I see several winners here and will also go through Kauai Revealed.

As always, TUGgers have very creative and thoughtful ideas. Will post on the final decisions! Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ziplining is also a popular activity available on Kauai, that an 11 year old would probably like.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Queen's Bath can be extremely dangerous at certain times of year and in inclement weather. Strong swimmers have lost their lives after being suddenly swept out to sea. I would be very cautious before deciding to take my children there.

I agree, hence me stating "depending on what time of year you're going". Check the wave action online before you go just in case. We brought our 6 year old down to Queen's Bath last may and it was like swimming in a natural outdoor pool.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I agree, hence me stating "depending on what time of year you're going". Check the wave action online before you go just in case. We brought our 6 year old down to Queen's Bath last may and it was like swimming in a natural outdoor pool.
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing your recommendation. But it seemed to me that the statement "Queen's Bath would be great depending on what time of year you're going" makes it sound like you run the simple risk of Queen's Bath being "not that great," as opposed to "extremely dangerous."

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I believe QB is now closed during winter time - too many deaths.
Right now - super calm, but can be deceiving as sneaker waves can and do come.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't criticizing your recommendation. But it seemed to me that the statement "Queen's Bath would be great depending on what time of year you're going" makes it sound like you run the simple risk of Queen's Bath being "not that great," as opposed to "extremely dangerous."

Sorry, wasn't trying to be standoffish, I was just adding in the time frame where the bath is likely to be swimable :)

If you're really into questionable parenting decisions, check out this toilet bowl vid in Hawaii.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I took my son there when he was about that age or a little younger.

We did the swim with the Dolphins trip. Basically, you go out in a Zodiac until you find a pod of dolphins and then over the side you go with snorkeling gear.

You hang onto a rope and he drags you along to keep up.

We also did Snuba a couple of times across from Lawaii beach resort.