• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai - which one?

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay - so it's hopeful...
I have the airfare on hold - waiting for the Marriott points to get to USAIR. I have 2 first class tickets for us and 2 coach for the kids (they said that's fine as long as they get the laptops and lots of cookies:hysterical: )

I booked 2 hotel rooms in Oahu for the first week with points.
I deposited my Aruba July 10th week and requested Kauai - either Marriott - at this point. I was advised by the Marriott rep. not to open to other hotels yet because there's a further charge to request (Westin, for instance).

So... With kids - seems Kauai Beach Club beats out Waiohai Beach Club?? Or not? Is one area/hotel really better than the other or will we be happy at either? (obviously it's Hawaii and not the alleys of Philadelphia - it's a relative question...)

I thought Kona would be fun - and even found Marriott hotels there - but the advice SEEMS to be Oahu is best for the kids -maybe take a day trip to Kona. I can change that between now and Monday - so my ears are open.

If I pull this off, I'll say the points were worth it. Stay tuned!

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen,
What ages are the kids?
I've stayed at Waiohai and walked the grounds at Kauai Beach Club. It's definitely a better beach at Waiohai with more opportunities for water sports. So if they are active teens they might like that location. I'd pick Waiohai, but honestly I think you'd love either location!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ellen,
What ages are the kids?
I've stayed at Waiohai and walked the grounds at Kauai Beach Club. It's definitely a better beach at Waiohai with more opportunities for water sports. So if they are active teens they might like that location. I'd pick Waiohai, but honestly I think you'd love either location!

They will be 14 and 11. Zac (14) loves water sports - Zoe could care less. I heard the pool was better at the other.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I own at Waiohai so, I like it better. I've stayed at KBC once. We did visit KBC in August and the grounds are lovely especially the Koi Pond area. The pool is very big. I'd say the pools are the same at both places. There isn't any special feature about the pools at either place. The only thing KBC has it is a BIGGER pool and it wasn't heated the last time we swam in it. At Waiohai there is one main pool, a baby pool and a relaxation pool. I like the beach at Waiohai better. I like the location of KBC better as it is kinda of in the middle of the island for driving. Either resort is lovely. It might be harder to trade into a 2 bedroom at KBC but you never know. You cannot lock-off at Waiohai so, you'll be guaranteed a 2 bedroom.

I have pictures if you click the link in my signature from our visit in early August.

Tina

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The pools are both beautiful but completely different. The Waiohai has a free-form shaped pool with rock outcroppings and flowing water. The KBC has a formal, round 2-1/2 acre pool that looks like something a Roman emperor would have built.

The resorts are also completely different. KBC is a converted high rise hotel (some of it is still a high rise hotel), with banquet rooms, expensive shops, and a formal feel. Waiohai is purpose built, four stories, and feels smaller and more casual. KBC has more restaurants and amenities; Waiohai is directly on an excellent snorkeling beach.

FWIW, my kids like both.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiohai has more of a family feel to it plus full kitchen. The town of Kola is just minutes away and they have a full grocery store there. We love the area. Kauai Beach Club is closer to the airport feels like a hotel rather than t/s. I would recommend Waiohai for families and Kauai Beach Club for singles/honeymooners/younger adults that what to be where the nightlife is.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Waiohai is open directly to the ocean and has large waves. Kauai Beach is on more of a bay and small if no waves.

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you like to be near a full service mall, than KBC is the way to go - with a Costco, a supermarket, and 2 department stores (ie Macy's and Sears).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your kids are old enough to take surfing lessons next door to Waiohai. The water, waves and beach are better there IMO.

Though there are more restaurants to chose from at KBC, we enjoyed getting out and trying the local restaurants.

Terry

andypoole

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Waiohai and have stayed there for 2 weeks and have stayed at KBC for 2 weeks also. Our preference is for Waiohai but KBC was good for different reasons. We were fortunate in our exchange to get OF at KBC and we were almost on the beach which was great. We were in Hale 8 at Waiohai on the inside directly over the pools with a partial OV. The pools were very popular with the families but the children did seem to be much younger. With teens, I would probably go for KBC. It also depends on how much you want to self-cater or eat out. The resort restaurants were better at KBC and we had fantastic breakfasts every morning. At Waiohai, the breakfasts were expensive for what you got, so we did our own.

To summarise - if going there on our own or with younger granchildren (we wish!!) then it would be Waiohai, but if with teenagers I'd prefer KBC. Either will be great

Andy