• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai vs.Maui?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
DAE called tonight and has a 1BR unit at Ka'anapali Beach Club (formerly the Embassy Vacation Club) on Maui for the dates we want in Sept. In reading the reviews here on TUG I see that Diamond Resorts has done some take-aways of some of the features/benefits we enjoyed back in 2003 . . . and there is now a $13/day parking fee.

Some of the considerations we are making has to do with the cost of one island vs. the other.

Interisland flights to Kauai are $100, to Maui $138
Rental cars on Kauai are about $100 more for a week
DAE (Maui) is $125, RCI (Kauai) $164 to exchange

So now I'm hung up on the parking fees. I'm curious about the resorts on Kauai and whether or not they charge for parking. Can folks tell me if the resorts on Kauai charge for parking . . . and if so, how much? Since I don't have a specific resort to ask about, I guess I'm interested in the resorts that are most likely going to become available via RCI between now and then.

Thanks!

quiltergal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just at the Point in Poipu in December and there was no charge for parking.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Shearwater--FREE
Bali Hai--FREE
Kauai Beach Villas--FREE
Lawai Beach Resort, I believe is FREE

I actually don't know of any that charge on Kauai, and not many charge on Maui, either, just those towers along Ka'anapali Beach, but don't quote me on that. :)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the quick response.

We're going to take a pass on the Maui and hold out for Kauai, which is really our preference since we've never been there.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui Vs. Kaui

We love both of them but find much more to do and see on Maui. I know it is money but please don't let something like a parking fee make the difference.
I used to be the same way and small things bothered me more than the big picture. Decide what you want to do and see and then dicide where.
Bart

drgary

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer Kauai

We love both of them but find much more to do and see on Maui. I know it is money but please don't let something like a parking fee make the difference.
I used to be the same way and small things bothered me more than the big picture. Decide what you want to do and see and then dicide where.
Bart

I totally disagree. I find much more to do, see and enjoy on Kauai than Maui.
If I was deciding.....it would definitely be Kauai.:D

drgary
www.travelbesttips.com

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what is great about vacationing and timesharing . . . everyone has a different perspective and interests.

I'm not making the decision solely about the parking fees, but yes, it is a consideration. As I've stated, we've been to Maui - - we loved it. We would also like to see and experience Kauai.

Another consideration that I didn't go into here is that all of our 2009 ownerships (weeks) that we're not using personally has already been spacebanked with RCI. So for us to use the DAE gig on Maui, we will also have to pony up and pay a 2010 MF for one of our resorts (something between $550 and $780) to make the exchange. At this point so early in 2009, we are just a bit hesitant take on that added expenditure. (Yes, I know, pay it now or pay it later . . . either way we will have to pay it. It's a matter of cashflow for the coming few months.)